PDA

View Full Version : NBC/Today eventing fail

JER
Jun. 27, 2012, 02:07 AM
NBC's Today in London blog has a feature on Zara Phillips, No special treatment at Games for queen's granddaughter (http://todayinlondonblog.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/21/12337235-no-special-treatment-at-games-for-queens-granddaughter?lite):

The most exciting part of equestrian eventing is no doubt the show jumping, where horses leap over fences that reach over 4 feet high.

:)

s65horsey
Jun. 27, 2012, 02:11 AM
Wow...why can't people do their research?

chancellor2
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:57 AM
The media today are all about sound bites and making ratings. They don't care to do any research anymore.

lmlacross
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:53 AM
Did Boyd Martin feed them these lies? ;)

LexInVA
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:07 AM
Well, it could have been worse. Much much worse.

oldpony66
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:14 AM
ok they were off on the height but seriously, cross country is the most exciting part. Obviously they've never watched it.

LexInVA
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:18 AM
I'm 99.9% certain that the hosts of Today all attend - at the same time - at least one show jumping event and that is The Hampton Classic, so I would imagine they know something, whatever that may be.

Scaramouch
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
So does the rule that two of the fences can be two inches over max height (or something like that) not apply to SJ or in FEI events? Or am I missing the joke completely?

But yeah, xc is far more exciting than stadium.

Ajierene
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:56 AM
Honestly, as a spectator, I find show jumping much more exciting than cross country. Watching cross country is either standing and watching one obstacle all day or a whole lot of walking and you cannot follow one competitor to see how they do.

With stadium jumping, I can sit there and watch one competitor jump the round and see how one bobble can effect the next line, etc. I can then see how another competitor handles the same course. It is also more exciting in three day eventing because it is the final test so you have people that are less than 4 points off trying to beat each other and also someone that is on top may have 8 faults and then the suspense of what the people lower in ranks do.

Yes, there is a strong argument for stadium jumping being more exciting and as far as height goes - I do not expect mainstream media to be exact.

LexInVA
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
Regardless of how exciting it may be to partake in, I just can't call show jumping exciting as far as something to watch goes. It's like watching ice cream melt.

wishnwell
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
I'm 99.9% certain that the hosts of Today all attend - at the same time - at least one show jumping event and that is The Hampton Classic, so I would imagine they know something, whatever that may be.

:lol: You're probably right!

Backstage
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:51 AM
Honestly, as a spectator, I find show jumping much more exciting than cross country. Watching cross country is either standing and watching one obstacle all day or a whole lot of walking and you cannot follow one competitor to see how they do.

Interestingly, when I speak to non-horsey spectators who have been to Rolex or another big three day event, they all seem to like cross-country day best. They like that they aren't stuck in one spot for hours on end, and can wander around, check out different fences. Or, they can camp out and have a picnic at a complex and enjoy the day. At Pau, one group of adults had the most elaborate spread I've seen anywhere - including various cheeses, breads, olives and champagne!

While I understand your POV - it is nice to be able to see an entire round, including the good moments and the bobbles - XC is still my favorite and I think the best way to appeal to non-horsey spectators. But I don't necessarily expect the Today Show to understand that!

vineyridge
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:03 AM
I like it all. :)

But honestly, you do have to have some appreciation of the complexities of XC to appreciate most of it. Yeah, there are places like the Quarry at Burghley or water complexes that anyone can "get", but combinations like 9 at Rolex this year might be interesting for crash lovers but probably would leave a lot of people cold.

SJ is relatively easy for spectators. You sit in one place and watch multiple horse do multiple jumps in a very short time. I know that my right leg always jerks just when the horse leaves the ground, so clearly I'm in tune with the action.

What I really hate about the arena classes are other spectators who feel that you should be absolute silent for dressage and SJ. Where's the spectator fun in that? Europeans don't. They clap and cheer for good performances in both dressage and jumping--or seem to. I recently saw cheering for a good extended trot. Why not? We might actually GET spectators in the United States if there were more enthusiasm expressed. If it were fun and exciting instead of deadly serious.

Oh, wait. That's the hunterland thread. :)

MLK1
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:30 AM
Did Boyd Martin feed them these lies? ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

PoohLP
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:35 AM
The individual jumps on CC day are more exciting because they are solid and often pretty cool to look at and of course watching a horse gallop by it pretty amazing. But by the time you get to show jumping day, you know the stakes. Especially once you get to the top 6 or 7 riders, it is like being on tenterhooks to know who will make it clean. So in that sense, it is the most exciting day.

fooler
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
NBC's Today in London blog has a feature on Zara Phillips, No special treatment at Games for queen's granddaughter (http://todayinlondonblog.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/21/12337235-no-special-treatment-at-games-for-queens-granddaughter?lite):

The most exciting part of equestrian eventing is no doubt the show jumping, where horses leap over fences that reach over 4 feet high.

To the uninitiated jumping pretty, colored fences is more entertaining and/or exciting than hiking about a XC course. Not to mention for most the facilities around the stadium, especially for the major events, are better than the porta-pots on the XC :lol:

As far as the SJ height, the FEI changed the maximum 4* and 3* SJ heights several years ago to 1.25 meters or 4' 1".

lmlacross
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:03 AM
My husband is only interested in learning to ride English because of cross country. He is less interested in stadium (and even less interested, predictably, in dressage). He grew up riding ponies western in Nebraska.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
To me, the showjumping phase of eventing, like the dressage phase, is pretty blaaah. When you get down to the last couple of competitors (depending on how tight things are at the top) then there is a bit of excitement. But compared to full on Olympic/CSI***** showjumping, it's pretty boring. At that level, even with lesser competitors there is a certain "ooh, ahh" to every fence.

rebeginner
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
Whether any of us prefer XC to stadium or dressage, I guess one of the OP's points would be that XC is the only thing that truly distinguishes eventing from the other two Olympic equestrian events. NBC should have figured that out.

There's showjumping, and then there's that horse ballet thing that Ann Romney's horse does. :)

Robby Johnson
Jun. 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
To the uninitiated jumping pretty, colored fences is more entertaining and/or exciting than hiking about a XC course. Not to mention for most the facilities around the stadium, especially for the major events, are better than the porta-pots on the XC :lol:

As far as the SJ height, the FEI changed the maximum 4* and 3* SJ heights several years ago to 1.25 meters or 4' 1".

Do facts not matter anymore? I'm sorry, but eventing's "climax" is the XC. Otherwise, we have dressage and show-jumping already represented (and at a much grander level). This is a fact NBC could easily recognize, and thusly the next step would be to discern why/how Eventing is different, then structure the story accordingly.

Whether or not eventers find the show-jumping phase more exhilarating or not (I admit, it definitely isn't a snoozefest!) is inconsequential to ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF THE SPORT. We've gone on and on for years about how the sport isn't represented and, when it is, we're willing to accept anything printed/reported as "good enough?"

Hello, am I the only one that finds this "not good enough?"

Robby Johnson
Jun. 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
There's showjumping, and then there's that horse ballet thing that Ann Romney's horse does. :)

LOVE!

Dezi
Jun. 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
"He, he" (in my best Bevis and Butthead voice) - you said "climax"!! :)

JER
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Do facts not matter anymore? I'm sorry, but eventing's "climax" is the XC. Otherwise, we have dressage and show-jumping already represented (and at a much grander level). This is a fact NBC could easily recognize, and thusly the next step would be to discern why/how Eventing is different, then structure the story accordingly.

Whether or not eventers find the show-jumping phase more exhilarating or not (I admit, it definitely isn't a snoozefest!) is inconsequential to ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF THE SPORT. We've gone on and on for years about how the sport isn't represented and, when it is, we're willing to accept anything printed/reported as "good enough?"

Hello, am I the only one that finds this "not good enough?"

Thank you, Robby.

But if you've been reading this forum lately, you'll find that people have been twisting themselves into some very unnatural shapes to support some rather unsustainable positions.

I don't get it.

The writer for the Today blog is a style writer based in London. She probably looked up 'eventing', saw that showjumping was over a course of 4' jumps, and figured that must be the exciting part. She doesn't know what XC is, and she doesn't know that, at 4' height, showjumping is mediocre showjumping.

Now, with the direction things have taken recently on this BB, I expect a certain coterie of posters to set about attacking me, calling me out for daring to say that 'eventing showjumping is mediocre'. But I am not saying that.

Eventing SJ is plenty exciting on Day 3 of a major competition. However, in straight showjumping, 4'/1.20 is an ordinary height, well within the capability of many horses and ponies, and certainly not a height at which world-class showjumping is contested. Nor are the eventing SJ courses tremendously technical or difficult (as they should not be).

As for me personally, I'm not listening to a fashion writer on this one. I will continue to believe that the most exciting part of eventing is XC.

Neigh-Neigh
Jun. 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
Its almost as pathetic as watching the media fawn all over the Queen when her horses ran well at RA. The only thing more pathetic is all the people cheering over horses paid for with THEIR tax dollars. Lol. I was watching thinking "How are they going to cram all the taxpayers of England into the winners circle?"

lmlacross
Jun. 28, 2012, 10:50 PM
Its almost as pathetic as watching the media fawn all over the Queen when her horses ran well at RA. The only thing more pathetic is all the people cheering over horses paid for with THEIR tax dollars. Lol. I was watching thinking "How are they going to cram all the taxpayers of England into the winners circle?"

Digressing: I'm not an expert on the monarchy, but I think it's probably a stretch to say that the Queen's horses are bought and maintained with taxpayer dollars. While it's true that the Queen does take an annual sum from Parliament and that monarchs have done so for years, this move was made years ago rather than continuing to let the monarchy derive millions in rents from all of their land holdings (the so-called Crown Estate). The country makes out far better than the monarch in this situation.

The Windsor family fortune is probably in the multibillions of dollars, though. Even if she never took a pound from Parliament, she'd have plenty to subsidize her horsey habit. Usually when the Queen is criticized for spending on a (race)horse, it's not because she bought it with public funds, it's because dropping a tremendous wad of one's personal cash on a pony when the rest of the country is struggling with a continental debt crisis and major unemployment suggests that she might be a little out of touch.

gottagrey
Jun. 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
On the plus side - give Kudos to NBC for even mentioning horses & the olympics - I mean it could have been worse -they could've focused on Rhythmic gymnastics

Snaffle81
Jun. 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
Anyone write the "author"?