PDA

View Full Version : Coolest helmet

TBFAN
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:03 PM
Okay, it's going to be 103 here all week and even though I love my Charles Owen, it's freakin hot, even at 8am.
Could anyone suggest a vented helmet they like, that hopefully doesn't cost $300?

Many thanks!

Carolinadreamin'
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:15 PM
Try the Tipperary Sportage or the Charles Owen Pro II skull cap (the Tipperary did not fit me but the CO did and I absolutely love it).

eventingismylife
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:20 PM
I have both a Tipperary, and a Pro II. Both fit me very well, and are very cool. The Tipperary is probably cooler, because it has larger air vents.

Hej
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:21 AM
I second (or third) The Sportage. Big vents, and a very light comfortable helmet. Looking at 110' heat index this weekend ....................

jn4jenny
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:37 AM
Wore the Tipp Sportage for years, still love it...but if you're trying to do this on the cheap, I've converted to the Ovation Protege helmet. It knocks off the Tipp's vented design at a very friendly price of around $40, and I find it's even lighter/more airy than the Tipp.

Desert Topaz
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
Generally, the more vents the cooler it will be. My Tipperary Sportage is way cooler than my IRH Elite. I think the Troxels with the vertical vents could be cooler, that's how I remember my old one, but they aren't shaped to fit on my head anymore.

Sonoma City
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:03 AM
Troxel also just came out with a Tipp Sportage knock off, the "Intrepid". Anyone seen/tried one of those in person?

Appsolute
Jun. 27, 2012, 12:57 PM
Wore the Tipp Sportage for years, still love it...but if you're trying to do this on the cheap, I've converted to the Ovation Protege helmet. It knocks off the Tipp's vented design at a very friendly price of around $40, and I find it's even lighter/more airy than the Tipp.

LOVE my Ovation Protégé – I can literally feel the wind in my hair with this helmet. Very light and cool, by far the coolest helmet I have ever worn, and the best fitting….

My Charles Owen now lives in the back of my closet.

Hinderella
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
I just replaced my 4 year old Tipperary Sportage with a new one, and I can't imagine that there's a lighter or coller helmet out there. The vents are huge, and it weighs nothing! The only downside to it is that the vents are so large that when it rains, you're just going to get wet.

BarbB
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks for this reminder. I usually ride in an IRH, which is so comfortable on me, but 105? This thread reminded me that I have a vented Tipperary in my tack trunk. I will be digging it out this morning - maybe soaking it.
thanks

arabhorse2
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:05 PM
I have a Tipperary Sportage (love it), but am curious about the Protege.

How do they fit? Are they similar to the Sportage? I know when I was buying Aegis, the mediums fit. In the Sportage, I had to get a large.

Appsolute
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:12 PM

How do they fit? Are they similar to the Sportage? I know when I was buying Aegis, the mediums fit. In the Sportage, I had to get a large.
I haven't worn a Tipperary, so I am not sure how they compare.

The Ovation is "oval" but not as oval as my CO Show Jumper. It has a dial a fit system which adjusts the back half of the helmet.

I found the CO a bit too oval for me, fits my forehead, but is too long in the back (have to put my hair up in it for perfect fit). The Ovation fits me perfectly, forehead matches the curvature, and the dial a fit makes the back fit very well.

I wear a 7 1/8 to 7 1/4 depending on the helmet, I wear a M/L Ovation.

The helmet is very light and airy – and the liner comes out and can be machine washed.

runNjump86
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:17 PM
Ovation Extreme! LOVE it and it's super light and airy. I rode in it all last summer/fall in the humidity of VA and now I'm surviving summer in SoCal with it!

arabhorse2
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
The Ovation is "oval" but not as oval as my CO Show Jumper. It has a dial a fit system which adjusts the back half of the helmet.

I wear a 7 1/8 to 7 1/4 depending on the helmet, I wear a M/L Ovation.

This info is very helpful, thanks. :D

The Sportage is also an oval shape, which is why I'm thinking I had to get the large. The Aegis helmets are rounder.

My head is in the 7 1/8-7 1/4 range too, so I'm thinking the M/L size would work for me as well.

whicker
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:33 PM
I found the coolest helmet!

http://www.actionridertack.com/p-965-las-hi-tek-anvil-helmet.aspx

I had borrowed one of these from a friend who had been on our endurance team. Since they have to do 100 miles in high heat, both in Va, Old Dominion 100,(add high humidity) and California, Tevis Cup 100, (desert/mountains), I figured that they would be ideal testers. Not only is it very cool, it is light in weight.

I bought 2 for my DS and I to try before reporting to you. We both get heat exhaustion easily. We have been having a much easier time of riding without over heating.

Then there are the nifty details. There are clips to hold the headband lights used for the night sections of the endurance ride. During the day, one can attach fly head bands, or large sunshades. Or maybe deer hunter orange strips, this Fall...

I think these amazing colors could be fun for cross country or hacking. Wouldn't need to add a helmet cover for pizazz.

FLeventer
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:34 PM
I love the ovation schooler. It is $45 bucks and totally worth it. Cool, removable liner to keep the smells out, and lightweight. I actually wear my helmet with this one.

arabhorse2
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
I found the coolest helmet!

http://www.actionridertack.com/p-965-las-hi-tek-anvil-helmet.aspx

Um, yeah. :eek:

I'm not paying that kind of money for a helmet, but if you can afford it, more power to you. ;)

jn4jenny
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:22 PM

I know Appsolute already answered this, but yes, I found the oval-ness of the Ovation Protege very similar to the oval-ness of the Tipp Sportage. Neither is quite as oval as the Charles Owens, but the Ovation Protege is definitely not for round-headed folks!