PDA

View Full Version : Tired of all the plain bay thoroughbreds?

secretariat
Jun. 26, 2012, 06:51 PM
OK guys, we're tired of going to events and all we see in warmup are plain bay thoroughbreds. I can't tell who's on what where. SO we're going to fix that - introducing - the antidote to boring plain bays ----

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/kyderby1973/Chestnuts.jpg

And we promise to paint a blaze on Berke (the second from the left).

My problem is - how in the hell do I tell them apart? Or should I?

SwampYankee
Jun. 26, 2012, 06:54 PM
What a GORGEOUS bunch!

But then I'm partial, my old guy could have been a pea in this pod . . . :D

hundredacres
Jun. 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
What a great shot!

I used to joke that my husband had no clue who was in the field because they were all, in his words, "brown", and was tempted to sneak someone new in there every now and then ;). As long as they were bay, he really had no clue who they were.

RunForIt
Jun. 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
...I'm rather fond of the two plain brown wrappers out in my paddocks :cool: :D .

fanfayre
Jun. 26, 2012, 07:16 PM
After spending 10 years cleaning up a grey everyday I'm rather looking forward to my plain bay, no markings! :)

Meredith Clark
Jun. 26, 2012, 07:39 PM
I have two completely plain bays and I adore them! Juice ruined it with his blaze

BarbB
Jun. 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
I had two TB geldings, one after the other. 17h, plain bay with one white hind foot.
Neither of them ever tried threatened to kill me, unlike my current, stand out in a crowd, sparkling black TB mare.

My next horse will be a plain bay - assuming I survive this one.

Highflyer
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:23 PM
I've had 6 blaze-faced chestnuts in a row. One of my best friends since forever confessed recently that he thought they were all the same horse. (Isn't that the one I rode at your house when we were 13? No? Is that her foal? No? When did you get this one, when we were in college? No? But you had one that looked like it then.) I think maybe he doesn't really listen when I talk about horses :)

Calvincrowe
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:38 PM
I've had horses since I was 9--every single one has been chestnut! Well..there was a blood bay in there, but out of 10 equines I've bought, I've had every shade or type of red possible. Even my Appy was chestnut. That is an awesome looking crew, but, then clearly I'm partial to red heads! My current mount is a chestnut roan with a skinny blaze and 4 socks.

dreaminOTTB
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
The last several horses coming into our barn (just a private boarding barn, no set discipline - just whatever you happen to ride) have been chestnut TBs with minimal markings, maybe a little white star or snip. All eventers or H/J-types. Makes telling everybody apart pretty difficult :)

ohrebecca
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
I do so love a redhead :)

retreadeventer
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:57 PM
Well....I looked for a bay.

I got a grey.

I looked for a bay....

I got a chestnut.
I got a black.
I got another chestnut, and another.

3phase
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
Everyone makes fun of me at the barn as all 3 of mine have a star and a snip and my 2 geldings' markings are almost the same.
1 bay (5 yo)
1 chestnut (7 yo)
1 dark bay (9 yo)
...just so I don't get bored...and 16 hh, 16'1hh and 16'2 hh...
really not planned!

Foxtrot's
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:40 PM
I was about to reply that to my old fading eyes they looked like chestnuts to me -- then I realized the point of the post - duh - sorry!

Mukluk
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:41 PM
My girl would fit right in. She's a chestnut with a white pastern on the left front and a white stocking on the left hind. And a big white blaze.

quietann
Jun. 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
The last several horses coming into our barn (just a private boarding barn, no set discipline - just whatever you happen to ride) have been chestnut TBs with minimal markings, maybe a little white star or snip. All eventers or H/J-types. Makes telling everybody apart pretty difficult :)

The barn where I board is full of bays; I think maybe half the horses there are bays right now. A couple plain ones (both TBs), some with a little white (these tend to be mares), two "black bays" who are quite distinctive from the others and from each other (one being an Arab and the other being a very big Argentinian WB... but oh, wait, there is also a very, very dark liver chestnut part-Arab who is basically the same color as these two), and four with narrow blazes (those are the hardest for me to tell apart, and 3 are TBs.) Every time I think I know who's who, another one comes in and messes up my "system." :lol:

Mine, of course, is a tiny, very golden palomino with a long mane (currently in pigtails).... It's hard to confuse her with anyone else.

RedxHandedxJill
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:37 AM
I've always had chestnuts and bays. I thought a grey would be fun. I was WRONG. I would love to have my bay back!

2DogsFarm
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:32 AM
Gorgeous redheads!
I love a chestnut with chrome :yes:

But I can go ya one better ;)
Check out DH's TWH in my Profile pic - stage right.
Yes, he evented - lost the gait and switched to trot for cross-country
Schooled to Training level at home.:)

I - OTOH - seemed be Bay-Blessed (that's me stage left) until my newest boy:
Golden Buckskin Aussie WB :D

VCT
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:29 AM
Gorgeous group there.... especially love the one on the left! What a cutie!

The answer of how to tell them apart in warmup - different colored saddle pads! LOL

ellebeaux
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:41 AM
Yeah, the one on the left caught my eye, too. But they are all mighty fine :)

The horsie love of my life was a little sorrel Arab QH with a big white stripe and four white socks.

frugalannie
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:36 AM
What a lovely photo! They are all beautiful, and so is the background.

Given your user name, are any of them related to Big Red?

judybigredpony
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:39 AM
Ummmm..I am partial to plain bays ;)....and ride 2 chestnuts adorned with huge amounts of chrome....

tle
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
Howard, that's a great picture! Loved it when Megan posted on FB. Too funny.

And hey, Frankie would fit right in! LOL

Carried Away
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:21 AM
I really love chestnuts and that's what I wanted when I was looking...but I ended up with a grey. I joke that he is my first and last grey since he LOVES to get dirty!

Great picture!

yellowbritches
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:49 AM
I love plain bay thoroughbreds!!! In fact, Toby's nearly identical cousin may be coming for "summer camp" with his Aunt YB, which has me very excited. Chestnuts are cute and all, but I'll take (not so) tall, dark, and handsome all day long.

My only non-bay (other than Neigh-blue roan appy- he doesn't count as he is on a completely different level than everyone else) was an adorable but rather batshit crazy grey. :lol: Everything else has been some variety of bay TB, with or without chrome. :yes:

Cute group, though. Probably wouldn't turn down any of them if offered to me. :D

Sonoma City
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
Wow, a barn full of red heads, you must be a glutton for punishment ;)

Very cute picture though! :)

RacetrackReject
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:04 AM
You need to add this one to your group.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/602407_10150904283588201_296783634_n.jpg

Lovely horses!

gr8fulrider
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
Or this one:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/423206_3487567189994_1842744752_n.jpg

Fred
Jun. 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
After spending 10 years cleaning up a grey everyday I'm rather looking forward to my plain bay, no markings! :)

Nothing 'plain' about your beautiful bay (or brown!) fanfayre! ;)

Lovely bunch Secretariat! :yes:

A Fine Romance's sire was a handsome Englishbred TB, Brave Shot (Bold Bidder/Gay Missile/Sir Gaylord) www.pedigreequery.com/brave+shot
- bright chestnut with lots of white. But there were no chestnuts in his family until 4 gen back on each side - Discovery on top and Royal Charger on the bottom.
In order to be chestnut the foal must inherit 2 chestnut colour markers,one from each parent, so that meant the chestnut marker was lurking, unexpressed for generations.

This also means that AFR is carrying the recessive chestnut gene, and every once in a while we get a lovely bright chestnut - just like yours!

Right now though, my pastures are a sea of bay, brown and even black - with ONE grey-my English ** event mare, and hardly any white markings at all.

McVillesMom
Jun. 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
Love it!!! As you know, I'm partial to chestnuts myself :) My mare would fit right in, would have to paint a bigger blaze on the gelding but it could be done.

You realize this means Megan might bring more home and you wouldn't notice ;)

Mtn trails
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
I've always been partial to redheads and I've got one in my barn, bright chestnut with a blaze and 2 white feet. He's my heart horse, I've had him for 16 years (he's 25 now) and can still give me the ride of my life.

deltawave
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
Gwennie was the best stereotypical hot chestnut WB mare ever. Nobody could ever fill her shoes! :D

I am currently riding a snowflake appy and a loud black and white pinto . . .

ravenclaw
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:24 PM
I, too, have a chestnut with a blaze! And two white feet. :yes:

Another story that kinda fits here: I used to board at a private farm. The owners (a husband and wife) both had horses, but they weren't into it and didn't ride very much. One day I go out to get my horse....in the pasture, there are also two bay horses with white face markings. The farm owner is loving all over one of the bay horses and telling him what a good, sweet boy he is. Then he called the horse by name and it was the wrong name!! He thought the other bay horse (who belonged to another boarder) was his horse. I didn't have the heart to tell him. :lol:

GotSpots
Jun. 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
I was griping the other day that our barn had altogether too many plain bay TBs, until I realized that my boys are at least half of the problem! Three bays, two bright bays and one a medium to dark, though at least they have different chrome (one heart shaped big star, one huge snip, and one basic-generic-star).

Love the chestnuts - fancy, fancy. And one of these days I'll end up with another pinto, though gosh, I don't mind not scrubbing green off of the white spots at 0'dark thirty horse show morning!

yellowbritches
Jun. 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
Once had a client who was going to clip a friend's horse for her in our barn. She pulled the horse out, bathed it, and was about to start clipping when I walked in and said "Why are you clipping Tigger?!?!" She pulled the wrong, tall, dark, handsome gelding out!!! :lol:

Babble
Jun. 27, 2012, 02:50 PM
I used to joke that my husband had no clue who was in the field because they were all, in his words, "brown", and was tempted to sneak someone new in there every now and then . As long as they were bay, he really had no clue who they were.

I knew a family that kept their horses at home. They had two greys. When they bought the third grey, they only put two out at a time so that the husband wouldn't notice the third. It worked for quite a while....

And I love chestnuts! Expecting a chestnut foal with a big blaze any day now...

kookicat
Jun. 27, 2012, 03:00 PM
Lovely. My new boy would fit right in!

(I have a plain bay mare, a bay gelding with four white legs and a big blaze, and now a chestnut gelding with two stockings behind and a blaze. All I need is a horse with one white leg and I'd have the full set.)

secretariat
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:51 PM
frugalannie - don't think any of them have Big Red blood, but since I haven't even SEEN a couple of them in person (four of them are new in the last couple of months), I could be wrong. Megan's first advanced horse WAS a Secretariat grandson, tho - but he was another bay! I think only two of them are even remotely related (Dixieland Band sire line).

The genesis of the post, other than Megan posting the picture on facebook, was my older daughter always ragging us about the pastures full of plain bays. We've probably got 10 or so customers' bays in the front paddock, and of the 14 we've bred in the last 4 years, 12 are bays!!

You guys have pretty astoundingly knowledgable eyes. Unless I'm mistaken (and it's a distinct possiblity) the horse on the left is Widespread Panic who ran the infamous 2008 Red Hills CIC *** as a 7 year old (officially, he was 8 but it was 2 months before his actual birthday).

secretariat
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
And one final comment, which most of our local friends know -

Megan's first upper level horse was a bright chestnut OTTB gelding - Chief Executive Officer, namesake for TeamCEO.

When times are tough, go back to the basics you were successful with.

deltawave
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:38 PM
LOL, I always wondered where the "CEO" came from. :)

Miss J
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
Awesome pic!! I loved my bay tb, but I am partial to the ginger boys lol!

Dance_To_Oblivion
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
Howard, I am just going to photoshop Sammy in there! I love this picture!!

hhfarm
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:41 PM
Secretariat....

Even funnier, the horse on the far left is actually Vici, my new track 4yo whom you haven't met yet. :) I'm sitting on Widespread Panic, who is second from right. LOL GOTCHA!

It does get a little confusing that our 9 horse competition barn has 6 chestnuts... What are the odds!?!

Bravestrom
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:55 PM
One token chestnut in our barn full of bays - but she is a beauty by Freedom Z

here is her pic

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/images/ALLIE/05-26-12-6.JPG

I am going to have to start a spinoff with my fav colors/markings

secretariat
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:06 PM
THAT's Vici? HOLY MOLY - you done good, young'n!!!

RolyPolyPony
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:07 PM
Chestnuts hold my heart :) Usually chestnut QHs, but a TB will do in a pinch ;) Lovely bunch, OP!!

Bensmom
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
Our new OTTB mare from Calder would fit in too! Bright chestnut, blaze and three high white socks, and she is BFF with my young grey mare. (don't like greys, don't like mares -- love both of these! Still haven't figured that one out!)

And I am a confirmed not too tall, bay, gelding sort of gal! :lol:

That is a lovely pic, and Secretariat, lovelovelove my Dixieland Band son. He's retired now, but raced until he was 10, and has the most entertaining personality, and really tough and competitive. :)

WIExpat
Jun. 28, 2012, 12:51 AM
My heart belongs to a 16.2 bay TB gelding with a little white snip on his nose!

Peggy
Jun. 28, 2012, 01:12 AM
I never thought much about the preponderance of bay TBs in eventing until the Atlanta Olympics. We sat near a family with very young (and well behaved) kids for one day of eventing dressage. Turned out they were locals, not horsey at all, but wanted to be a part of the Olympics and do something that would be relatively easy with kids. Their question was "do the horses all have to be the same color?"

yellowbritches
Jun. 28, 2012, 06:45 AM
All my chestnuts right now are overly large (says the girl who thinks 16.1 is big), occasionally slow witted warmblood types. I would totally trade a few chestnut TBs for them.:lol:

Beam Me Up
Jun. 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
I have 3 plainish bays. 1 no white, 1 has a front white, 1 has a rear white. That is how my SO distinguishes them. And they live with us.

Story about all eventers looking the same. My dad came to meet me at an event, wasn't sure when he'd be arriving so he said he'd "just find me." (pre cell phone days) I am kind of average looking with a brown ponytail, horse was a bay OTTB. He said he wandered around for an hour, saw fields of "hundreds and hundreds of you, everywhere I turned!" before it occurred to him to look for my very, err, distinctive rig.

FatCatFarm
Jun. 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
They are pretty, but yes, TB's certainly seem to come in just Bay or Chestnut, for the most part.

Sort of off topic, but does anyone think that the grey's are a bit quirky? I've had two people comment to me about grey horses in a similar vein. I adore the greys.

I personally have found that the black horses I've owned can be rather difficult, but it's certainly not scientific. ;)

propspony
Jun. 28, 2012, 10:18 AM
lol! At our barn it's all chestnut and white tobianos! This was an actual conversation with our new stall cleaner:

SC: Which one is that?

ME: That's Patches.

SC: That one?

ME: That's Foxy

SC: How about that one?

ME: That's Hope.

SC: D***! What about that one?

ME: That's Toby. Oh by the way... He's our "Dennis the Menace" of the farm so
let us know whenever you find that he's broken something.

SC: Well, how do I know which one he is???

ME: Well for starters he's the only one with a man package...

Neigh-Neigh
Jun. 28, 2012, 10:19 PM
I've always been a sucker for a redhead, especially when they come with chrome; but my black bay/no markings won my heart at first sight!

Cameraine
Jun. 29, 2012, 09:16 AM
I've had two chestnut mares (loved them both dearly) and while my current bay girl can sometimes be a ROYAL pain in the butt I love her too. She does love to roll, but she's a bay with just a bit of star and snip and two rear white feet with ermines.

On the other hand my blue roan blanket ApHC isn't a big roller and stays pretty clean. The mare beast is inevitably covered in mud/dust/muck when she comes to the pasture gate.

wildlifer
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hee hee hee, both of mine are chestnuts. Since the first is my soulmate horse and he is a blazing copper redhead, I will always love the chestnuts first. :-D

FLIPPED HER HALO
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
I've always had plain bay TB's, minimally marked. Then I bred my TB mare and now have a one that is easy to spot (no pun intended) on the field.
http://i49.tinypic.com/b3qza8.jpg

Heliodoro
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:23 AM
I think my chestnut boy has just the right amount of chrome:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=532281616455&set=a.532281272145.2101464.24417786&type=3&theater

No, extra work required and very individual! He's got some random white hairs in his coat and grows a little patch on his gaskin in his winter coat. But his mane is WAY cool in the summer, golden blonde on the top and bottom (NOT sunbleaching, it starts at the roots), I just cannot get a good picture of it.

I just about cried when I started showing a horse with 3 white socks this year...

Kryzlstoff
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:37 AM
I love it!! I have a major soft spot for redheads.
I love my chestnut Trak mare! She is neurotic...but adorable.
Oh, and so chromey!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150647983510362.451788.591125361&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=10151017011170362&set=a.10150647983510362.451788.591125361&type=3&theater

Wordplay1832
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
I have had a chestnut mare with a star, a dark bay gelding with a star and a snip, and now a gray mare who when her face is wet has a star but you can't tell otherwise.
Apparently I am all over the place!

Peggy
Jun. 29, 2012, 08:26 PM
I have had a chestnut mare with a star, a dark bay gelding with a star and a snip, and now a gray mare who when her face is wet has a star but you can't tell otherwise.
Apparently I am all over the place!
I have owned three bay TB geldings, all with one-syllable, four- letter names, on 66% TB gelding with the same naming pattern, and one palomino mare with a two-syllable name.

Hollywood
Jun. 29, 2012, 10:26 PM
I love this pic!

I am partial to the chestnuts!! I had a plain bay once, and he was amazing at the shows - but of all the horses I've had - the two that have stole my heart were Chestnuts, an appendix, and now one of my current TB's.

I always wanted a gray, and now I have one...and will NEVER-EVER own another b/c I cannot stand the stains. They are lovely in the show ring...but give me a chestnut or bay any day:-)

Far_North_Equestrian
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
I love it :) I wouldn't turn down a plain bay if it were perfect - but I'm partial to other colors myself. My first horse that was mine was a tall leggy chestnut TB with a couple of tiny socks. What I wouldn't give to have that horse back - I sold him when I moved away with a boyfriend (what a mistake).

That said, partial to odd colors. It all started with the grey arab that was my very first lease, then after the chestnut TB I was gifted a leopard appy. Currently, a plain dun FjordX - he's my favorite so far - never looks dirty and there is no white to clean. I do spend a lot of time with the clippers keeping his mane and feathers under controll though!

chism
Jun. 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
...I'm rather fond of the two plain brown wrappers out in my paddocks :cool: :D .

Me too.. I have two plain bay TB's as well, also a dark bay with chrome and a decidedly un-flashy dun-ish chestnut. The dark bay is very handsome, but the plain bays are what I visualize when I think TB. Breed wise, I think the percentage of bay's versus other colors is pretty high.

Vesper Sparrow
Jun. 30, 2012, 03:57 PM
My first horse was a dark bay TB mare (plain bay except for one white, ermined coronet); she was a real pig and loved to roll in manure. There was no way to get her clean before a show except to bathe her immediately beforehand. Good thing she was a bay. She had the sterotypical TB temperament: hot and fiery.

My grey TB gelding has two white stockings and a blaze and is as quirky as he is flashy; he almost looked garish at the recognized dressage show we took him to, where almost all the other horses were dark bays. Chrome on greys is such a waste, I think, except for being good practice for their owners for the pure-white stage. He's on the phlegmatic side but once he's riled up, watch out: he has quite a temper. He's also wickedly smart.

I love the big chesnut TB mare I'm leasing. She's a red chestnut with a snip in the form of a big splotch and a faint star in the shape of a boomerang and two high whites in back. She's a complete love bug, unfailingly polite, quietly intelligent and a total sweetheart.

I watch the races on TV in summer and have the impression that the percentage of chestnuts has increased in the last few years. Every race has a few chestnuts and often there are as many chestnuts as bays. Greys are few and far between; one every other race, I'd say.

scubed
Jul. 1, 2012, 10:27 AM
I like my bays! Currently, 2 plain, one with a star, one with a big snip and hind socks, but friends are riding the chestnut snowflake appy and the bright chestnut with even more chrome than your guys. I'm still hoping for a buckskin and maybe another pinto someday

Cameraine
Jul. 1, 2012, 10:33 AM
I know a woman who has three chesnut ISH and they all look so much alike that I couldn't tell them apart. They are each excellent at separate phases of eventing. I told her she should just hide them all in a big trailer and switch between the three for each phase. *G*

sophie
Jul. 1, 2012, 01:06 PM
No, I'm not tired. I love mine (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/minitutu/2011/Hello.jpg?t=1296169966) ;)

I've had plain chestnuts. I like the plain bays better!

Catie79
Jul. 2, 2012, 02:29 PM
Our barn, for whatever reason, is collecting chestnuts with a blaze like they're going out of fashion! We'll have entire lessons with nothing but chestnuts with a blaze. Even the trainer's new up and comer is a liver chestnut (we'll have to sneak in and add a blaze so he fits in). Of course we also have the collection of 'gentle giants' that are all very tall bay geldings, so both groups are represented.

My girl would fit in with that photo perfectly. Blaze and a little snip with a spot of white on the front left.

dappled
Jul. 5, 2012, 10:55 AM
I arguably see just as many chestnuts in the warm up ring as bays! It's just a sea of red and brown. :lol:

Looks like you're going to have to come up with a system for identifying each of yours!