PDA

View Full Version : What do you put in your grain besides supplements from the feed store?

EventingMEF
Jun. 26, 2012, 03:58 PM
I have a 14 y/o 15.2hh thoroughbred competing training level

I'm wondering what people put in their horses grain besides the packaged and labeled supplements from the feed store. For example I have a friend who feeds her horse fresh garlic from the supermarket. I'm wondering what other supplements besides labeled horse grain supplements people feed?

RedxHandedxJill
Jun. 26, 2012, 04:09 PM
I give my OTTB a mix for his ulcers. I brew a full box of Organic Throat Coat Tea in two cups of water (over night) and mix with aloe vera juice (a gallon). Its done WONDERS for him in just over a month. I give him a cup the first two weeks and then a half a cup. From what I've read it helps to heal the ulcers. I've noticed a big difference in his weight, muscling, attitude. Etc. That's all I add though!

BarbB
Jun. 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
18 yr old TB who thinks she is 2.
Some natural supplements from Whole Foods or Natural Grocers.
Slippery Elm Bark (digestion)
Nutritional Yeast (feet and hair)
Tumeric (anti-inflammatory)

merrygoround
Jun. 26, 2012, 04:21 PM
Depends on how it's been distilled! ;)

OH! You're talking about horse feeds. Well then, Nothing besides the occasional medication for those needing it!

Belmont
Jun. 26, 2012, 04:45 PM
I used to feed my OTTB Paprika to enhance his coat color. It practically made his usual boring chestnutty-ness a copper penny chestnut!!

EventingMEF
Jun. 26, 2012, 04:49 PM
I heard somewhere that Paprika is illegal at shows. Anyone know if thats true?

BarbB
Jun. 26, 2012, 04:57 PM
Paprika and Tumeric (that I use) can both test positive for capsaicin.

runNjump86
Jun. 26, 2012, 07:20 PM
1/4 cup of Canola oil (keeps him slick and shiny)
Vita-B1 crumbles (because focusing is always helpful)
Vita-Biotin crumbles (thin hoof walls, trying to fix that)
Fastrack probiotic

He gets 2lbs of TC Lite a day with all his goodies.

IFG
Jun. 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
Paprika and Tumeric (that I use) can both test positive for capsaicin.

How much Tumeric? Do you buy it in bulk or in jars?

BarbB
Jun. 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
I buy it in bulk at Vitamin Cottage. Whole Foods or any natural/organic grocery will have it. I give her about a teaspoon a day it seems to help keep her from getting stiff after a day of acting like a fool. Costs me a couple of dollars a month.

IFG
Jun. 26, 2012, 08:30 PM
I buy it in bulk at Vitamin Cottage. Whole Foods or any natural/organic grocery will have it. I give her about a teaspoon a day it seems to help keep her from getting stiff after a day of acting like a fool. Costs me a couple of dollars a month.

Interesting, might try it. Thanks for the idea.

JWB
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:12 AM
I gave a mare I used to own dried raspberry leaves from the healthfood store - a heaping pinch every day. It was essentially the same as the "moody mare" supplement, but a lot cheaper. Other folks at the barn recommended it and I thought they were nuts but it really seemed to work in her case. She was a much calmer, happier girl on them.

fairtheewell
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:41 AM
I personally have experience with turmeric when I was injured and in a wheelchair for 8 months a couple of years ago. I couldn't take painkillers, but I found out about turmeric, which is a wonder spice. It contains curcumin which is anti-inflammatory and analgesic. There are a ton of studies being done on it now all over the world. When I took it, it relieved the pain (after about an hour), and I was actually able to begin to walk again. I fully attribute that progress to the turmeric. I drank it in hot milk with black pepper, because it enhances the curcumin. I only took it for about a month, because it got rid of the pain and didn't need it once I got mobile. It has been 2 years, and I am back riding...perfectly fine. Studies have shown that it can be effective against melanoma...it causes the melanoma cells to attack themselves. Unbelievable stuff.

Blugal
Jun. 28, 2012, 01:40 AM
Oil & a carrot!

deltawave
Jun. 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
I'm wondering what people put in their horses grain besides the packaged and labeled supplements from the feed store.

Don't assume everyone uses "packaged and labeled supplements". :)

Flax seed is about all I add, a multivitamin if I have a horse getting minimal or no concentrate.

Turmeric is a weak (VERY weak) NSAID, and should be treated exactly as such: same risk (although dose-dependent) of kidney and stomach problems, although the amounts typicall used have very minimal effects AND side effects. Overuse, however, carries the same risks as bute or aspirin.

Fred
Jun. 28, 2012, 08:59 AM
I give my OTTB a mix for his ulcers. I brew a full box of Organic Throat Coat Tea in two cups of water (over night) and mix with aloe vera juice (a gallon). Its done WONDERS for him in just over a month. I give him a cup the first two weeks and then a half a cup. From what I've read it helps to heal the ulcers. I've noticed a big difference in his weight, muscling, attitude. Etc. That's all I add though!

This is very interesting RHJ,I've heard of feeding aloe vera juice, but not the tea.

Thanks too for the info about tumeric, I didn't know that either.
I think I might try that for myself!

All I add is a vitamin and flax seed.
In the winter I feed a mix of flax seed and black oil sunflower seeds.

FatCatFarm
Jun. 28, 2012, 10:00 AM
BOSS

Jazzy Lady
Jun. 28, 2012, 10:38 AM
Apple cider vinegar. Helps with joints and is supposed to help keeps bugs away.

yellowbritches
Jun. 28, 2012, 11:30 AM
Pretty much the only thing that isn't labeled for horses that Toby gets is peppermints and carrots. And he REALLY likes both (we probably go through a pound of peppermints every week to 10 days!). I did used to feed garlic from the restaurant supply store when I fed a bunch of horses it at one time. Now I use the stuff labeled for horses because it comes in Smartpak.

Honestly, I tend to trust Pennfield's research and the couple of companies I use for supplements more than mine. I figure they're the ones spending the money on research, so I don't have to.

ZackAttack
Jun. 28, 2012, 01:14 PM
The only thing not labeled for horses that my mare gets is Salt. We mix morton lite salt and regular Iodized salt and feed that for electrolytes. She used to get dried raspberry leaves but since I put her on MagRestore we stopped that. the stuff labeled for horses that she gets is the MagRestore, M.A.S.S Builder by Kinetic and right now she's on Robaxin indefinitely.

EventingMEF
Jun. 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
The only thing not labeled for horses that my mare gets is Salt. We mix morton lite salt and regular Iodized salt and feed that for electrolytes.

Ive heard quite a few people say theyre using salt instead of branded electrolytes. Anyone else have good/bad luck with this?

Georgia_Love
Jul. 1, 2012, 04:16 AM
Ive heard quite a few people say theyre using salt instead of branded electrolytes. Anyone else have good/bad luck with this?

I give my mare redmond sea salt (can be found in grocery stores, online, and in smartpaks) instead of electrolytes. She refuses to eat any flavored electrolytes but she loves the salt and it seems to help.

FatCatFarm
Jul. 1, 2012, 09:07 AM
And since it started hitting 100 degrees here, electrolytes.

gold2012
Jul. 1, 2012, 11:41 AM
Jello, bulk kind. And yes,it really does improve hooves.

Diamateous Earth, it helps keep worms down, and acts as a fly killer in feces once on ground.

Garlic and apple cider vinegar. Helps with mesquito repellant.

Salt, never, ever does a day go by that they dont get salt. ESPECIALLY helpful when it goes hot to cold and back. Keep them drinking and hydrated.

Aloe vera juice, and paypaya for my hard keepers. I gotta try the tea thing. How do you seep all night?

Bensmom
Jul. 1, 2012, 12:32 PM
I have been feeding the mixture of salt and light salt for years and years. I do one box of iodized salt to 2 of the light salt.

!/2 teaspoon 2x a day. I will double it if we have a cold snap, where I want them to drink, or if someone is stressed (travel or new environment). I found the recipe years ago, and the original recipe included 2T of Epsom Salts for the Mg/Na, but an equine nutritionist suggested I leave that out, as it could be irritating to the digestive tract, so I did.

I feed my feeds in a mash every day -- especially in Florida, I feel like as much water as I can get into them, the happier I am. :)

KatieSlew
Aug. 2, 2012, 12:48 AM
I am really curious about the raspberry leaves and why people believe they work. I've never heard of this before. How effective is it?

deltawave
Aug. 2, 2012, 08:43 AM
raspberry leaves and why people believe they work

That's two entirely separate questions: "what is in raspberry leaves"? (mostly a tiny bit of magnesium, citric acid and . . . raspberry leaves) and "why people believe they work"? (because people like to believe things) :lol: It is in the class of "folklore that has somehow kept its panache even though there is literally NOTHING in there that does much of anything".

AnEnglishRider
Aug. 2, 2012, 10:13 AM
The thoroughbred gets diatomaceous earth, and a milk thistle pill (he has liver issues, it's supposed to help). Oh, and electrolytes, even though he hates them, it's still not enough to stop him from eating his grain.

The Appaloosa just gets biotin. It really has helped his feet, in just a month you can see a huge difference in the new hoof wall that's growing (I didn't believe it would make a visible difference so fast but with feed, hay, and biotin, none of which he was getting before, he has started to grow hoof quickly).

Neigh-Neigh
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:49 PM
My guy gets a a teaspoon of honey on top of his supplement, to mask the taste. If I didn't, he'd leave a nice little expensive pile of it, in the bottom of his feed tub.

Researching a way to incorporate Mangosteen into his diet and anything that prevents ulcers.