PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this style RB cover?

NEWT
Jun. 26, 2012, 08:22 AM
It looks better that a big tarp which drives me crazy to put on the RB in breezy conditions. But, if these aren't waterproof then they would be worthless.....

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&productId=583867

JB
Jun. 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
Cattle might leave it alone, but my horses would shred this cover in no time, just because they could LOL

Belg
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
Just what I need, 9000$ worth of round bale covers and 5 weeks to put them on... no thanks :=)

ETA: for that price, I could just about buy a (used) baler that uses plastic wrap... or however they do that :)

NEWT
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't put them out with the horses... just use them on the bales that are not being used until needed. I store 2-3 bales at a time and don't have a barn.

JB
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:16 AM
How breathable are they? If they are like a tarp, I wouldn't at all put them on a bale during any degree of warmth. Condensation will effectively rain on the bale and ruin it.

Even a cold but sunny day with wet ground can set up condensation inside the cover.

hundredacres
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:21 AM
I saw photo's of bales spoiling in a feeder like that where it's hot and humid.

I love www.cinchchix.com. They work wonderfully.

NEWT
Jun. 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the replies, that is a good point about the condensation.

I do have one of the cinchchix nets and I finally stopped using it out of frustration. They were wasting just as much hay as before I started using the netting. The problem is that we get a lot of spring rain and then they step all over the netting, driving it into the mud and of course then don't want to eat the dirty hay. And.... its a BEAR getting the hay OUT of the net when its wet and muddy. Ugh. The net is good for the middle of summer when we are in drought and the ground is rock hard or in the middle of winter when the ground is frozen. So, in my part of the world its good for 1/2 the year at best.

hundredacres
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:12 PM
I'm with you - I won't put a net in a bale out when there is any mud on the ground or in the forecast. And it IS a PITA to get the hay out of if they don't eat all of the hay: for this reason I only put *really* good bales in it, questionable ones I use for peeling off of. And my horses have figured out how to eat just as fast out of it as when I feed it by hand - so all it saves me is time. Not money. But I do love them for those times when I do get to use them!

HPFarmette
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
Last year I put one round bale out next to another one that I had covered with a tarp tied around it (was going to uncover when they finished the other bale). The brats were only interested in the tarped one and tore it off.