PDA

View Full Version : Soooo....stinky vest

runNjump86
Jun. 26, 2012, 01:38 AM
Yes, you read that correctly. :lol:

I recently purchased the CO jl9, and love it. Fits great, fairly comfortable, not ungodly hot, and I can breathe.

However...the things REEKS. I keep it hanging up in a closet, and I opened it today and about gagged. I thought there was NO way it was the vest...I was wrong. Weird thing is, it's not from sweat! I've ridden in it twice, and even took it apart to wash the cover, thinking that was the source of the stink. Boy was I wrong! It's the foam panels! :confused: I pretty much soaked them with Febreeze, but to no avail.

Any tips on getting the stink out? I'm banishing the damn thing to the garage so I can air out the closet...

c'est moi
Jun. 26, 2012, 07:01 AM
Mine smelled too when I took it out of the bag (a chemical smell). But after a day of airing it out, the smell went away. I'd just keep smelling it out.

kookicat
Jun. 26, 2012, 07:12 AM
I hung mine up outside and let it air off.

JWB
Jun. 26, 2012, 07:43 AM
Chemical foam stink - get it out of the closet and into fresh air. Let it hang out for a few days, preferably without the cover. Maybe put a fan on it too.

deltawave
Jun. 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
Fresh air and sunshine: nature's deodorant and disinfectant. :)

runNjump86
Jun. 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
Ok. DUH. I never even thought to just let the foam panels air out...OUTSIDE. Man I feel like a dummy! :lol:

kookicat
Jun. 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
Well, it did take me leaving mine in my truck overnight to think about it. :lol: The smell nearly knocked me out when I opened the door. Glad it was a cold night, or it would have been worse. :lol:

betsyk
Jun. 27, 2012, 03:59 PM
Hang it in your trailer til the next time you need it, then store it there!

runNjump86
Jun. 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
No dressing room in my trailer. It's been sitting outside for the past couple of days and the smell is almost gone. I think a few more days and it'll be good to go!

runNjump86
Jun. 29, 2012, 12:09 AM
Ok...it still stinks, and it's been outdoors 24/7 for two days. The first day and a half it was in direct sun, trying to speed up the process! :D

JWB
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
Ok...it still stinks, and it's been outdoors 24/7 for two days. The first day and a half it was in direct sun, trying to speed up the process! :D

:eek: I wonder if it got some sort of contaminant on it... Is it just a chemical smell, or does it smell like something in particular?

Maybe a smelly valet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pEhqiCD27E

alto
Jun. 29, 2012, 12:51 PM

Contact the manufacturer - I've "not smelled" plenty of CO vests brand new in the shops ...