PDA

View Full Version : australian Eventing team being appealed

vineyridge
Jun. 25, 2012, 09:04 PM
H & H has the story here:
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/olympics2012/7632/313083.html

They named both Fredericks (C on Bendigo, L on Flying Finish), Andrew Hoy with Rutherglen, Shane Rose with Taurus, and Christopher Burton with Holstein Park Leilani. Only one is not British based.

Flying Finish and Rutherglen both just ran Luhmuhlen.

Polydor
Jun. 26, 2012, 01:34 AM
All of the Australian teams are being appealed :S From what I read about the eventing team is that a few people aren't happy with the fact only 1 aussi based pair have been selected when a few aussi pairs have done better then the europe based pairs.

* note .. haven't read that link you posted .. will do later*

P.

vineyridge
Jun. 26, 2012, 08:38 AM
I don't understand why the Aussies don't make Adelaide a mandatory event for potential Australian eventing Team consideration. If Black Caviar can fly to Britain and back for one race, surely big name British based eventers could do the same. That way the "locals" and the British based riders would at least compete against each other. Since Adelaide is now one of the HSBC competitions, it would be a chance to pick up some points without having to ride against WFP. :)

Polydor
Jun. 26, 2012, 08:46 AM
Very good point. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up making some sort of regulation like that in the future. And I think most of the riders would like to see that as well. I understand where you were going with the Black Caviar comparison but I would have to say she ( Black Caviar) has the advantage of having more money to play and pay for those flights then most of the eventers do. And up til they got included in the HSBC circuit, prize money was nothing compared to Europe/US.

I know that is why New Zealand moved their entire potential team to UK so that everyone was on the same playing field.

P.

vineyridge
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:32 AM
I have to say that the Australians did really well with their eventing team in Hong Kong and it was composed of riders based in Australia. Perhaps they are considering the WEG experience just a bit too much. Of course, it doesn't cost as much to ship to Hong Kong as it does to ship to GB. Could cost have been part of the consideration?

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
Black Caviar, along with many of the Aussie sprinters, have their travel expenses subsidised by Ascot, over half the cost. They are also running for prizemoney, a lot more than any eventer runs for. Also the quarantine getting back into OZ is pretty serious....

Horses undergo a 21 day PEQ in the country of origin. The horse must have been continually resident in the country for two months immediately prior to export in an establishment or establishments with no case of equine influenza*.
. The horse was vaccinated for equine influenza using an approved inactivated
vaccine prior to entering PEQ.
. Each horse must undergo PAQ in a government quarantine station or other approved premises for 14 days.

That's 5 weeks of quarantine, 3 on one end and two on the other. That would be quite disruptive to any training schedule.
If almost all your top riders are already in Europe, it would be easier, and probably cheaper, to fly the Oz-based riders to England for selection trials.

Backstage
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:08 AM
I don't understand why the Aussies don't make Adelaide a mandatory event for potential Australian eventing Team consideration. If Black Caviar can fly to Britain and back for one race, surely big name British based eventers could do the same. That way the "locals" and the British based riders would at least compete against each other. Since Adelaide is now one of the HSBC competitions, it would be a chance to pick up some points without having to ride against WFP. :)

In my view, the timing of that simply wouldn't make any sense. WEG is typically in the late summer/early fall, and the Olympics are in the summer. You'd be holding a mandatory event some 8-10 months before the actual games, and so much can happen in 10 months. Horses get hurt, horses recover from injuries, horses who weren't quite ready for a 4* in November are able to move up and do well at Rolex, Badminton or even Luhmuhlen. The reason that the mandatory outings tend to be relatively close to WEG/the Olympics is to see what pairs are peaking at the right time.

Napoles
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:30 AM
I have to say that the Australians did really well with their eventing team in Hong Kong and it was composed of riders based in Australia.

Both Lucinda and Clayton Fredericks were members of that team and neither of them were based in Australia.