PDA

View Full Version : a big ooops

HungarianHippo
Jun. 24, 2012, 04:18 PM
Yesterday I was refilling a 35-gal water tank that I'd placed in the back of my husband's SUV. We'd done a burn pile earlier in the day, which went perfectly. By then it was reduced to glowing coals, but wanted to park a full tank out there to tamp down any sparks in the grass if needed. This tank has a screw-off lid in the top, so I put garden hose in the top. We don't have very high pressure from the field hydrants, so I had at least 20min to wait for it to fill.
Ran in the house to use the bathroom, and then to the computer to check the weather to make sure no wind was coming. Then sat down to read an email. Quick reply to that email. And so on. An hour later I was still farting around on the computer and the thought occurred to me that there was a running garden hose in the back of my husband's SUV. :no: :no: :no: :no: Not sure I touched any of the stairs as I ran out of the house.

It was every bit as bad as I thought. Worse. The truck was on a slight incline, nose end down, so the overflowing water had rolled forward, rather than out the back of the tailgate. I'm not kidding, there was about a foot of water in the truck, floor mats were floating around. It hadn't gotten as high as the seat fabric, at least. (Damn effective door gaskets, I must say, because those doors were not leaking at all. :lol: )

I opened all 4 doors and was absolutley deluged. Once the flood subsided, there was still 4" or so collected in the footwells. I had the brilliant idea of starting the engine up, and driving in crazy circles in both directions to slosh out as much of this water as I could-- worked pretty well but thank god I was not visible from the road. I can only imagine what I looked like. I was a desperate woman. Then bailed the rest of out as best I could, and finally shop-vac'd the last dregs. Carpet's still a big damp but otherwise doesn't seem worse for the wear. Floormats are nice and clean, anyway. :lol:
But holy cow, what an utter screwup.

spook1
Jun. 24, 2012, 04:25 PM
This was a great visual and made me laugh ( sorry for your mishap though:eek:...). Its so nasty out here I needed a laugh:)

wcporter
Jun. 24, 2012, 04:34 PM
Ooooooops... ;)

Bluey
Jun. 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
If it is 100 there, like it is here, leave the doors open and it will be dry soon.:lol:

Not that much water, but once in a while we forget to close a pickup window and it reins in there.
Then you have to drive places with a wet seat.
At least your seats were dry.:p

cowboymom
Jun. 24, 2012, 05:09 PM
:lol: And what does husband think of his newly (half) cleaned SUV?

Somermist
Jun. 24, 2012, 05:16 PM
Well, "stuff" happens! Who on here has not left a hose in a tank, etc.... Glad all is well.:)

TheJenners
Jun. 24, 2012, 05:22 PM
If it is 100 there, like it is here, leave the doors open and it will be dry soon.:lol:

Not that much water, but once in a while we forget to close a pickup window and it reins in there.
Then you have to drive places with a wet seat.
At least your seats were dry.:p
You know you are a horse person...:lol:

I find a hard time typing "house," my fingers tend to type "horse" instead. So I use "residence."

HungarianHippo
Jun. 24, 2012, 05:31 PM
Oh, he laughed. He's well-acquainted with my occasional bouts of stupidity. LOL He figured the hour I spent in a panic trying to fix it is more than enough punishment. Worst thing that happened is that he came out to watch as I removed the completely sodden, 1000lb carpet that covers the cargo area, getting filthy and soaked in the process. Said, hmm, that looks pretty heavy, huh? and cracked open a beer and strolled away with a smile.
Only parts that aren't already dry are a few areas in the foot wells. I think I'll set up a floor fan overnight to hasten the process and keep it from getting musty.

RiverBendPol
Jun. 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
Good one, HH!!! Love the circling image!

EVERY time I have to fill something bigger than a garden watering can, I tie something peculiar onto my body as a reminder bc I have forgotten the hose WAAAAY too many times. Baling twine around my neck is good, speshly in the summer bc it is so scratchy I won't forget it. Right now I have a dog's Christmas collar-similar to an Elizabethan thing with red and green fabric points and bells on the ends of each point-that lives on the spigot and goes on my wrist when I turn on the hose...It is especially good when I remember the hose but neglect to remove the wrist ornament when I go to town...

Alagirl
Jun. 24, 2012, 07:05 PM
Good one, HH!!! Love the circling image!

EVERY time I have to fill something bigger than a garden watering can, I tie something peculiar onto my body as a reminder bc I have forgotten the hose WAAAAY too many times. Baling twine around my neck is good, speshly in the summer bc it is so scratchy I won't forget it. Right now I have a dog's Christmas collar-similar to an Elizabethan thing with red and green fabric points and bells on the ends of each point-that lives on the spigot and goes on my wrist when I turn on the hose...It is especially good when I remember the hose but neglect to remove the wrist ornament when I go to town...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ReSomething
Jun. 24, 2012, 08:45 PM
For a moment there I was wondering how you filled up the cab,with your tank in the back, and then SUV percolated into my brain.

I have this visual imbedded in my brain of a day years ago when this lady with a BMW, the very nice looking and low slung sports convertible BMW, drove into a big puddle that was being formed by our slowly rising river flooding backwards through the storm drains. The sun was shining and the carpenters working on the house on the other side told her to come on through - well, DH and I had driven down to check on the river levels and this particular low spot and got there just in time to see her little car being shoved back up to high ground by the tow truck guy and the lady opening the doors and water pouring out. It was just missing the fish falling out and flopping on the ground.

As a fellow member of the forgetful filler club (did I tell you about the swimming pool?) I feel for you!

crosscreeksh
Jun. 24, 2012, 11:37 PM
Would that be called "Hydro detailing"???? Thanks for the laugh...sorry for your mess!!

Plainandtall
Jun. 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
We had a "car in the pond" incident here several years ago- and yes the fish thing really happens, not just in cartoons.

Damrock Farm
Jun. 25, 2012, 10:03 AM
Said, hmm, that looks pretty heavy, huh? and cracked open a beer and strolled away with a smile.

Lmao! That's exactly what my DH would do. :D

Ambitious Kate
Jun. 25, 2012, 11:39 AM
Lmao! That's exactly what my DH would do. :D

Mine too. I got him back, once, though. He was mowing the lawn, lives on second floor, tenant on first floor. I came downstairs with two beers and joined the tenant on his back porch. Hot day. Cool in the shade. Very enjoyable. I sat back and said "Ah, yes. Nothing like watching a man work and drinking a beer." The tenant, named Squash, is a hard working Master Gardner, with a grey pony tail and a long beard, just for the visual. He snorted and choked on his beer, laughing. Every now and again he'd call out to Mr. AR, "Good job!" and I'd raise my beer to Mr. AR in a toast. He bore it in good humor, but has never missed an opportunity to enjoy a beer while watching me struggle for a while with something.

seabreeze
Jun. 25, 2012, 10:05 PM
I had the brilliant idea of starting the engine up, and driving in crazy circles in both directions to slosh out as much of this water as I could-- worked pretty well but thank god I was not visible from the road. I can only imagine what I looked like. I was a desperate woman.

:lol::lol::lol:

This absolutely had me howling!!! This is a close second to JSwan's description of her Chuckie (or is it Chucky?) incident!

ManyDogs
Jun. 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
Oh, thank you! Now I don't feel quite so stupid running off the road today, hitting a rock, and having the tow guys come. Yes, DH was in the car. He said his head hit the ceiling-with seat belts on. I'm surprised the air bags didn't deploy.
Yes, oh yes, what a way to start off my vacation. We are now down to the hay truck. I"m not sure how many gallons per mile it gets....