PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of bad hay

Paddys Mom
Jun. 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
So, what do you do with three 600 pound round bales that you want to get rid of because they are too moldy to feed? I don't have a tractor but I can borrow one. I don't have room to compost them. Ideas?

And yeah, just because the hay guy sold your friend delicious round bales doesn't mean you will get the same quality from him, even if she goes with you. He is giving me my money back but I am still stuck with disposing of them. :sigh:

SLW
Jun. 24, 2012, 10:09 AM
I burn bad hay then put the ashes on my compost pile.

ReSomething
Jun. 24, 2012, 10:10 AM
They'll compost in place with enough rain, or you could do a hay bale garden.

Bluey
Jun. 24, 2012, 10:11 AM
We dump any bad hay in a box canyon nothing can get to from the top and they decompose there, eventually.

If you don't have one such place, you could see if some landscaper or highway maintenance crew could use them?
I see them using all kinds of sorry old hay as mulch for what they do.

Bacardi1
Jun. 24, 2012, 01:24 PM
Ooooh - while I obviously don't enjoy having to deal with bad hay, it doesn't go to waste around here.

Apart from adding to compost piles, I just pile it loose around my fruit & ornamental trees (NEVER right up against the trunks!!!) out to the branch "drip lines" as a double-whammy mulch/fertilizer. Talk about wonderful & organic to boot! Also use it as a nice thick mulch in the vegetable garden (again, never right up against stems).

You might also want to advertise on CraigsList that it's available to gardeners. Very popular.

sketcher
Jun. 24, 2012, 01:25 PM
Put it on craigslist for free. That will bring them out in droves...something about the word 'free'...regardless of the quality.

FLeventer
Jun. 24, 2012, 01:38 PM
Put it on craigslist for free. That will bring them out in droves...something about the word 'free'...regardless of the quality.

So true. I listed horse manure for free and a huge pile was gone within the week. Good luck, moldy hay stinks.

Hampton Bay
Jun. 24, 2012, 02:30 PM
I give it to someone with cows. They can eat the moldy hay with no ill effects, and if even they don't want to eat it, they will use it as a bed.

If I have a section of pasture I can fence off, sometimes I'll unroll it there and let it decompose. It will help fertilize the grass, and in a few months time it's gone enough that you can turn the horses out there.

HungarianHippo
Jun. 24, 2012, 02:31 PM
Another option is to unroll it, to speed up the decompsition. moved it to the top of a hill on the property, near a fenceline, and pushed it down hill (make sure you know which way it's wound!). Took a lot of work, it's not like it was easy, but very satisfying when I could get it to make 2 or 3 "turns". And besides sometimes it's just fun to lean into something with all your might and push it around andget absolutely filthy. For me anyway. :-).
I noticed the deer eating in that area all winter, and by spring when I ran the field mower over it, it broke it up even more. Grass fully recovered by the following year.
(oops looks like hampton bay and I were typing at the same time.)

Guin
Jun. 24, 2012, 04:11 PM
Landscapers will take square bales; maybe they would take round ones too?

nashfad
Jun. 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
Run an ad on craigslist for "free rolls for cows"--------seriously--------and they must move them

crosscreeksh
Jun. 24, 2012, 10:11 PM
We "carefully" burn bad bales - watch out....they get REALLY hot. Or second CL. It is amazing what people feed to cows!!

Alagirl
Jun. 24, 2012, 10:22 PM
too bad you can't deliver. I'd take all of them to mulch my 'lawn' as the dirt here rivals concrete.

Compost happens, even if you don't do a thing.

You can mulch everything in the yard with it....(I love the idea. It cracks me up how a lot of folks bag grass clippings and haul the to the dump, then turn around and buy fertilizer! :lol:)

burning, but be VERY careful!!

I suppose the 'free' works, if you can get them loaded and gone....

Wayside
Jun. 24, 2012, 10:23 PM
I give it to someone with cows. They can eat the moldy hay with no ill effects, and if even they don't want to eat it, they will use it as a bed.

Agreed, I've had no trouble giving away moldy hay to neighbors with beef cattle.

SPF10
Jun. 25, 2012, 06:37 AM
We have a perpetual burn pile, goes on there and then when it is appropriate DH gets to play with fire:lol:

Proud To Be Spotted
Jun. 25, 2012, 08:58 AM
If the hay is just not "horse" quality, call up your local schools ag program. They will come pick it up and the kids can really use it.

JB
Jun. 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
Be careful using hay as mulch - if it's got any significant seeds on it, well... ;)

Alagirl
Jun. 25, 2012, 12:04 PM
Be careful using hay as mulch - if it's got any significant seeds on it, well... ;)
pile it on thick enough - no problem! ;)

Bacardi1
Jun. 25, 2012, 12:26 PM
Yes - thickly applied, sprouts are no problem. And even if you do get sprouts, they're extremely easy to pull out.

Phaxxton
Jun. 25, 2012, 12:32 PM
When we had a couple last winter, we took them to the landfill. Granted, we had a tractor, so it was easy to get them into our truck bed. The machinery operators at the landfill were also kind enough to help us unload them.

trubandloki
Jun. 25, 2012, 12:38 PM
When we had a couple last winter, we took them to the landfill. Granted, we had a tractor, so it was easy to get them into our truck bed. The machinery operators at the landfill were also kind enough to help us unload them.
Eek, that would get expensive when you pay for your trash by the pound.

Bad hay gets tossed in the manure pile here. We had a whole 2 acres of very rained on soggy hay to get rid of one year. Composted it in the manure pile.

I like the Craigslist idea. I am betting someone will want it, if it is free.

Phaxxton
Jun. 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
Eek, that would get expensive when you pay for your trash by the pound.

Bad hay gets tossed in the manure pile here. We had a whole 2 acres of very rained on soggy hay to get rid of one year. Composted it in the manure pile.

I like the Craigslist idea. I am betting someone will want it, if it is free.

Yes, it would, but I don't pay anything to bring my trash to the landfill (well, other than my taxes). Certainly it wouldn't be a cost-effective option for those who have to pay at the dump.

I don't keep a manure pile here. My manure goes in a dumpster, which isn't big enough for a whole 800+ pound round bale in addition to my manure.

Paddys Mom
Jun. 25, 2012, 01:05 PM
I would have to pay to take it to the dump.
I also don't have a manure pile - use a dumpster.

I would do the Craigslist thing but I don't have a tractor for loading unless I make prior arrangements. I may still try that route.

My neighbor is going to check with a cow guy he knows. Hopefully he will want them. They aren't horrible but have enough mold dust to aggravate my horse who has a sensitive respiratory system.