PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating Cactuskate: I'd like to propose a group ad in COTH

Heidi
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:10 PM
As posted on the thread announcing Kathy's death, I'd like to propose that we take out a group ad in the COTH and memorialize Kathy's sheer bravado and spirit.

I can't think of anything more perfect for the ad than the picture of Kathy "RocketMan" Havens atop Bud with her backpack of oxygen.

The ad rates, according to the online mag, are, for 2 colour:

Full page - $1342
2/3 page - $1055
1/2 page - $862

There will likely be production costs unless someone is able to produce camera-ready artwork - in which case there is a 15% discount off the base-rate.

I am more than happy to organize this effort and contribute towards the cost of the ad. If someone is able to get in touch with Kathy's husband to ensure that he has no objections and if others are able to produce camera-ready artwork, that too would be wonderful, please either post here or email me.

She was such an inspiration to so many of us, it seems only fitting that we celebrate her courage and joy for life in the pages of COTH.

Heidi
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:10 PM
As posted on the thread announcing Kathy's death, I'd like to propose that we take out a group ad in the COTH and memorialize Kathy's sheer bravado and spirit.

I can't think of anything more perfect for the ad than the picture of Kathy "RocketMan" Havens atop Bud with her backpack of oxygen.

The ad rates, according to the online mag, are, for 2 colour:

Full page - $1342
2/3 page - $1055
1/2 page - $862

There will likely be production costs unless someone is able to produce camera-ready artwork - in which case there is a 15% discount off the base-rate.

I am more than happy to organize this effort and contribute towards the cost of the ad. If someone is able to get in touch with Kathy's husband to ensure that he has no objections and if others are able to produce camera-ready artwork, that too would be wonderful, please either post here or email me.

She was such an inspiration to so many of us, it seems only fitting that we celebrate her courage and joy for life in the pages of COTH.

Bumpkin
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:13 PM
I'm in.

lilblackhorse
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:18 PM
so will will and I....

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Tin
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:21 PM
Count me in /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. No use being a damned fool about it" -W.C. Fields

[This message was edited by Tin on Apr. 17, 2002 at 08:01 AM.]

bucksnort
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:24 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~~Bucksnort~~

1-800-Dial-A-Distance
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:32 PM
Let me on the band wagon! Serengeti and I want in.
1-800

Seen on a Centre College Democrats T-Shirt
"Because no one ever said they wanted a good piece of elephant."

Lisamarie8
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:32 PM
The separation and getting started on my own (with 2 horses) has left me finacially challanged, but My husband and dearest friend is a creative director at an ad agency in Baltimore. He lays out ads in his sleep. I'm sure he'd take care of the layout for us, and I'll be personally repsonsible for placing the media and trafficing the ad. I mean that's what I do for a living.

So Sad!

-- Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

[This message was edited by lisamarie8 on Apr. 16, 2002 at 11:05 PM.]

Whip 'N Spurs
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:42 PM
I'll donate /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gifWhat do I need to do?

Laura & Casey
Men are like good chocolates; the richer, the better.
Photo Album:
http://community.webshots.com/user/viprincesss

Heidi
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:48 PM
Firstly, we need to get her husband's consent. I'm going to send an email to Kathy's email address and hope that someone there is reading her incoming messages. Failing that, I'll contact the funeral home and see whether I can get contact info. for her husband/family.

Lisamarie - that'd be fabulous. If he's feeling especially inspired, perhaps he can create a headline and copy for the ad, too -- though I know there are several people on the BB who work in the industry and may well have some ideas for headline and copy also.

Please do post if you're interested so I can get an approximate 'head count'; but I'd like to wait until we get some form of approval from her husband/family before I start collecting money.

Erin
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:52 PM
Heidi, I can send an email to Kathy's friend who posted the original thread, and see if she can contact Kathy's husband or pass along his contact info to us.

Lisamarie8
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heidi:
Lisamarie - that'd be fabulous. If he's feeling especially inspired, perhaps he can create a headline and copy for the ad, too -- though I know there are several people on the BB who work in the industry and may well have some ideas for headline and copy also.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would SO love to be able to do that for her and her family. Copy can come from wherever her husband wants it to come from. If he's not up to it I'm sure the board can decide on something. We'll lay it out, do the insertion order and be sure to get it to the publication. I actually recieve COTH's rate card every quarter /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Heidi
Apr. 16, 2002, 07:53 PM
That would be wonderful.

If you do get the info. Erin, do you want to contact her husband/family to get their permission for the memorial ad and use of the picture? If that's the case, I'll either post and/or email lisamarie with the go-ahead.

BTW, lisamarie, I don't want to burden her husband/family with trying to dig up the original photo - if we use the photo that Kathy posted of herself directly from the BB, will we lose a lot in resolution?

Lisamarie8
Apr. 16, 2002, 08:04 PM
Heidi, I was just in the process of checking that out, cause i thought the same thing. It looks like it was scanned in at an OK res. The top picture I think would come out pretty well, but i'd have to check with Billy to be certain.

I just looked for my COTH rate card (yes I'm a geek) and i lost it in the mood, whoops MOVE (Calling Dr. Freud, is Dr. Freud in the house)...along with my reps name. Erin, can you point me in the right direction with that one when the time comes?

Erin
Apr. 16, 2002, 08:10 PM
Heidi, just sent off the email, and asked if there was a way for either you or I to get in touch with him (after the services). I'll let you know whatever I hear back, and I can contact them for you, if you'd rather.

LisaMarie, you probably have all this info already, but here are the COTH's ad specs and rate info:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/display_info.html

LOL... apparently I'm reading your mind, LisaMarie... there you go! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MeanderCreek
Apr. 16, 2002, 08:35 PM
let me know where to send a check /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

www.meandercreekstable.com (http://www.meandercreekstable.com)

AAJumper
Apr. 16, 2002, 08:41 PM
Count me in too. Just let me know where to send the check.

visit www.victorianfarms.com (http://www.victorianfarms.com)

Peggy
Apr. 16, 2002, 09:47 PM
Count me in too.

On the photo resolution thing, I think that you need something like 150 dpi for a printer and 300-600 for a service bureau. Not sure where COTH print ads fit into this scheme.

Taryn
Apr. 16, 2002, 10:16 PM
Absolutely. I'm in.

www.foalcams.com (http://www.foalcams.com)

Seven
Apr. 16, 2002, 10:40 PM
Count me in, too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

=^+^=

/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I just haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Merry
Apr. 16, 2002, 10:49 PM
Yes, I'm with ya', sister! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

akrogirl
Apr. 16, 2002, 10:55 PM
Add me to the list also.

RumoursFollow
Apr. 16, 2002, 11:24 PM
I can, but I'd like to help as well. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-----------------------------
RumoursFollow
Ten Oaks Farm (http://www.geocities.com/tenoakssc/index.html)
-----------------------------

dublin
Apr. 16, 2002, 11:48 PM
I'm in most definitely as well.

canterlope
Apr. 17, 2002, 02:53 AM
Me too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whoops, there goes another rubber tree plant!

M. O'Connor
Apr. 17, 2002, 03:35 AM
IN.

MCL

Robby Johnson
Apr. 17, 2002, 03:40 AM
I was going to say I'd volunteer to do the production but lisamarie and her ex-hubby will do a MUCH better job than me, I'm sure!

Just tell me where to send a check.

Robby

Catalina
Apr. 17, 2002, 03:48 AM
I think that is a wonderful idea! I will contribute what I can /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Louise
Apr. 17, 2002, 03:53 AM
I'm in. I'm really broke right now, but I can find some dollars for this!

---------------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle

Lisamarie8
Apr. 17, 2002, 04:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peggy:
On the photo resolution thing, I think that you need something like 150 dpi for a printer and 300-600 for a service bureau. Not sure where COTH print ads fit into this scheme.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right Peggy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Idealy I'd take a high res scan of the pic, but I'm HOPING we wont need that. I'm sure that pic isn't 600 dpi or even close, but maybe we can work some magic /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I'm going to send this info to Billy today and see what he can do. I'll keep you guys posted.

Everythingbutwings
Apr. 17, 2002, 04:39 AM
I want to help. Mr. Wings and I will donate. Tell us where to send a check.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world, indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

Quinn
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:00 AM
Hi Heidi:

Please count me in.

monstrpony
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:15 AM
It would be nice to get the picture as well resolved as possible, but the spirit will be there, regardless.

Heidi, this is a wonderful idea, thanks so much for sharing it and spearheading.

PMJ
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:34 AM
Add me in

monstrpony
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:37 AM
and I believe Merry said that she had a copy of the Rocketman picture? Maybe it's a decent print and she'd share it for this effort?

Dementia 13
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:43 AM
Count me in, Heidi.

"What lamp has destiny to guide her little children stumbling in the dark?"

jacksmom
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:48 AM
count jack and me in.

JB
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:57 AM
Count me in!

FlightCheck
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:57 AM
count me in

suecoo
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:00 AM
Let me know where to send a check. I know she is smiling down at us right now, wondering what all the fuss is about. I really hope she knew how very much she inspired people, and how very much she will be missed. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Member Of The Texas Clique & BEQS

dogchushu
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:04 AM
I'm in. Just let me know where to send a check (or do paypal if you accept that).

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin

larosa90
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:08 AM
Thanks for all the effort you've put into this -- It's going to be a fine tribute!

Merlin
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:20 AM
Count me in too!

geckoUBC
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:23 AM
I'll definitely contribute what I can.

Aleesha

SquishTheBunny
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:32 AM
Im in!

Why isnt phonetics spelt the way it sounds?

wtywmn4
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:44 AM
Me too!!!! I'm in. Just let us know where to send pleeeease.

Bensmom
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:46 AM
Add me too, please.

Libby

hobson
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:52 AM
and moi...

MGR
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:04 AM
Count us in as well. Mr. MGR and Baron the new GSP puppy to.

Kathy would smile at us scurrying around like this.

Live life to the fullest.

Maria

GotSpots
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:05 AM
Count on us too!

Bumpkin
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:08 AM
Would it be possible to do the "Rocketman" and jumping photos on the full page? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FairWeather
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:09 AM
Just let me know where to send a check...

Always,
FairWeather
"Just call me mint jelly cuz i'm on the lamb!--Grandpa
http://www.fairweather-farm.com

Quinn
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:12 AM
Heidi, being a Canuck would wish you to refer to it as "cheque" please and thanks. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SGray
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:13 AM
dammit - ya'll are making me cry while I'm at work - again

I sent the rocketman shot to my sister, stating that Kate's attitude and strength made me feel like such a wuss - I only wish that I could emulate her

count on a donation from Rosehill, TX

Sharon
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:14 AM
Heidi, What a wonderful way to celebrate her life and courage. Thank you.

I cried when I saw her original post and picture of her riding with the oxygen tank.

Duffy
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:15 AM
I'm in too.

rhymeswithfizz
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:21 AM
Me too. I didn't know her like many of you did, but her bravery and sense of humor is an inspiration to me. What a wonderful way to honor her memory and celebrate her spirit!!

Sully's Brag Page (http://theamazingliz.hypermart.net/sully.htm)

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers

gwen
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:24 AM
ME TOO!!!

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....:)

Colin
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:28 AM
Me for sure!

Merrylegs
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:30 AM
Please add me in too!

~Susan

Synrgystyk
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:36 AM
And would someone please post the Rocketman photo?! I don't remember seeing it.

Lorree

Reality is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Erin
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:39 AM
Me too, of course!

Lisamarie, can you email me please? The email in your profile doesn't work.

Synergystik, look on the first page or two of the Cactuskate thread. Tin and I both posted links to her original thread where she broke the news she had cancer, and posted the photos.

(Actually that thread was bumped up, too... it's the "Absent BBer checks in" thread.)

reefy!
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:42 AM
Count me in!

Synrgystyk
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:47 AM
Thanks Erin! I found it.

Lorree

Reality is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Portia
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:53 AM
Count me in. Great idea, Heidi. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money." Sen. Everett Dirksen

jrmasm
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:03 AM
I would like to contribute as well...will be awaiting further details.

I would like to add as well that Art Director/Graphic Designer extrondinaire Mr. Jrmasm would be happy to donate his services as well if needed.

As Miss Maam says "Mommy isn't always a pain in the a**"

Nickelodian
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:06 AM
Perhaps if we have enough money to do a full page ad, we could do a half page add instead, and use the rest of the money towards a theraputic riding program, or a cancer center?? Just an idea......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ONE MORE MONTH!!!!!!!!!
OMG OMG ONE MORE MONTH!!!!!!!!

gwen
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nickelodian:
Perhaps if we have enough money to do a full page ad, we could do a half page add instead, and use the rest of the money towards a theraputic riding program, or a cancer center?? Just an idea......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ONE MORE MONTH!!!!!!!!!
OMG OMG ONE MORE MONTH!!!!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great idea!!!

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....:)

Chanda
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:11 AM
Count me IN!

Since I don't get COTH could someone post the ad after is is published so I could see it?

Bowed tendon: 83 days down, minimum 7 days to go.

Sandbarhorse
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:13 AM
I can't contribute a lot, but would like to be a part of memorializing a person who has shown us all true grace, courage and a love of horses.

I think the 1/2 donation to a charity is a great idea! Maybe one of the charities that supports humans and animal cancers, I think the dog walk for cancer does this (would Cactuskate have liked that?)

dublin
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:29 AM
I think using part of the money towards a contribution in Kath's honor to a charity of her choice, if she had one, or one we can agree upon, if she didn't, would be a most fitting tribute to her.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

Weatherford
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:34 AM
Absolutely!

J.Way
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:39 AM
Super idea Heidi! Count me in!

Seven
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quinn:
Heidi, being a Canuck would wish you to refer to it as "cheque" please and thanks. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, this raises an interesting point...not to discourage our Canadian friends, but most of the donors are going to be US and I'm sure funds must be paid to COTH in US dollars. Although this wonderful idea was Heidi's, shouldn't someone on this side of the boarder collect the funds so that the donors don't have to deal with currancy conversions sending money to Heidi and then converting it back to send to COTH?

Another possibility is to use PayPal account (thanks for the idea, dogchushu /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) where everyone could donate in whatever currancy they want and then the money could be sent to COTH from there. I have a PayPal account already (as do most eBay addicts /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) but they are fast, secure, and free for anyone to set up so that might be the best way to collect these funds. Using PayPal would also enable donors to use credit cards (or checks or bank transfers) and might reduce the time for getting all this done.

Just some random thoughts...

=^+^=

/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I just haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TrakHack
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:44 AM
Another "count me in and let me know where to send the check".

The Panchen Lama of DQs! (Second only to Velvet, the undisputed Dalai Lama of DQs.)

Erin
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:46 AM
Serendipity, Heidi just emailed me saying much the same thing. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

We will probably have to establish a designated fund-collector (most likely me, I guess /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) in the US.

Paypal would be a good idea, but doesn't Paypal take a cut if you get more than $100 or so in payments in a given time period? I have an account as well, but I would hate to see a chunk of people's donations taken out as an administrative fee...

Maybe we need one Canadian and one US fund-collector?

SaratogaSummer2001
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:48 AM
Count me in, too. Won't be much, but I'm in. Also, if there's any place for a donation of artwork of any kind, I'm for that (to compensate for how little I'm able to give in actual funds).

mbamissaz
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:53 AM
I am trying to get this message to some close family friends who can help us. I will email this thread to them and see what I find out. Also, count me in on a donation.

Trish

Seven
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erin:
Serendipity, Heidi just emailed me saying much the same thing. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

We will probably have to establish a designated fund-collector (most likely me, I guess /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) in the US.

Paypal would be a good idea, but doesn't Paypal take a cut if you get more than $100 or so in payments in a given time period? I have an account as well, but I would hate to see a chunk of people's donations taken out as an administrative fee...

Maybe we need one Canadian and one US fund-collector?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'd like to type that 'great minds think alike' but I'm not sure I can be so bold as to put myself in the same catagory as our very own uber-Canadian-goddess, Heidi!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PayPal does charge a small fee (the fee that PayPal has to pay the credit card companies to be part of the network). IMHO, it's a small price to pay for convenience and speed. So, it might be a nice option for those who don't want to deal with checks.

=^+^=

baymare
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:15 AM
Wonderful, and so appropriate, and please count me in. Keep us posted on details.

Heidi
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:15 AM
Serendipity, I bet you could contest me easily for Uber-goddess status. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Though, you aren't Canadian, or a Swiss goat herder, and I do believe they're pre-requisites. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Okay, administratively, please note:

-As Erin pointed out in her email, the ad will make Kathy's BB family feel good but a donation to a charity may help someone else to feel good.

To that end, I'd like to propose that we book a half page 2-colour ad ($862) and donate the balance of what's collected to a charity of Kathy's family's choice or an equine rescue.

-Cheques should be made out personally to Erin (for the Americans) and to me (Canadians) so that we can cut exact amount cheques for the ad space and a charity. Whatever I collect from the Americans will be converted to a USD money order for either COTH and/or a charity. Erin will cut similar cheques.

-Americans, please email Erin for her mailing address:
erin@chronofhorse.com

-Canadians, please email me for my address and 'real name' ( /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) :
heidi278@rogers.com

Lisamarie, could you email me also so that we can coordinate the logistics - i.e. booking of ad space, etc.

Delighted, I'd bet you that Kathy's husband or family would love a drawing of the photo posted of Kathy in the showring.

I am so wonderfully happy and proud to be a member of this BB family.

[This message was edited by Erin on Apr. 17, 2002 at 12:18 PM.]

Coreene
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:20 AM
Which is the exact same thing that any of us ad selling peeps would do in our publications.

I think she deserves a full page. We will get way more that than in donations, and then Mr. Banner can make the contribution in the name of the COTH BB with the extra. Dontcha think?

Here is a quote from an anonymous poem read at the beginning of the Queen Mother's funeral. Highly appropriate to share right now:

You can she tears that she is gone,
or you can smile that she has lived
You can close your eyes and hope
that she'll come back,
or you can open you eyes and see all she's left

Erin
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:21 AM
Heidi, took the liberty of editing your post (such are the perks of being Chief Cat Herder /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )to reflect my COTH email, rather than my VetCentric one. Sorry, should have specified that in my email to you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And a note... I will accept checks only, no cheques! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

If you prefer to pay by PayPal, let me know. Although, as was mentioned earlier, there may be a small cut taken out of your donation if you pay that way. (By Paypal, not by me.)

Please also note that you should make your checks/cheques payable to either me or Heidi, not COTH. (You must REALLY trust us! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) That way we don't have to send a million separate checks to the COTH.

Heidi
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:27 AM
Coreene, good point. I'm going to email their ad rep. and see whether a 'discount' can be negotiated. Full page 2 colour, BTW, on a 52x rate would be $979.

InWhyCee
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:31 AM
Limited funds at the moment, but count me in... I think giving the "excess" donations to the ACS or a horse-related charity in her memory is a beautiful idea.

I just read that Cactuskate (who I always read as "Cactus Skate") shares my birthday, and somehow that depresses me a little more.

"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will." -- Alois Podhajsky

"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony."

Coreene
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:46 AM
You can do a very high end B/W ad that looks so good the money on color would be wasted.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I am never wrong, but sometimes my opinion is different from others, ha ha ha.

fleur
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:50 AM
It won't be much (coming from a seventeen-year old's funds) but I will donate what I can.
Any chance someone could (re-)post the address where checks should be sent? And who they should be made out to?
Also, is cash ok?

*EMMA*

Tin
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:55 AM
Emma> check on page 4, it has Erin's e-mail address and she can give you the info /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I will be e-mailing Heidi as soon as I finish with chores (any volunteers to do them for me?).

I don't know if this would fit in with our tribute but I think it might be nice to add Kathy's signature, it just seems like her /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"

huh, I remember CactusKate add the last part on ("but who the heck cares!") after 9/11 ......

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. No use being a damned fool about it" -W.C. Fields

Hattie
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:57 AM
Count me in! What a lovely gesture Heidi!

Bumpkin
Apr. 17, 2002, 09:57 AM
Yes Coreene!!!
I agree with you on full page, and possible discount. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Seven
Apr. 17, 2002, 10:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tin:
Emma> check on page 4, it has Erin's e-mail address and she can give you the info /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I will be e-mailing Heidi as soon as I finish with chores (any volunteers to do them for me?).

I don't know if this would fit in with our tribute but I think it might be nice to add Kathy's signature, it just seems like her /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

_"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"_

huh, I remember CactusKate add the last part on ("but who the heck cares!") after 9/11 ......

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. No use being a damned fool about it" -W.C. Fields<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Her location line also used to say something about being 'in hell, Yuma, AZ'...but changed that after 9/11 too.

=^+^=

Pookah
Apr. 17, 2002, 10:01 AM
Count me in!

"The only thing you will ever get two horsepeople to agree on is that the third one is wrong" -Author Unknown

Lisamarie8
Apr. 17, 2002, 10:12 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the rate /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif...you would be SUCH a love to work with as a rep...wish you were one of mine. My Philly TV reps just manhandled me with make goods /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Anyhoo, I spoke to Billy about it this morning and he's in. I tried to send him this way to read everything but he was having some problems getting on the site. Anyhoo, he said he'd gladly devote whatever time neccessary (cause he's nice like that)

Erin I just e-mailed you and heidi I'm about to send one off to you too.

doubletake
Apr. 17, 2002, 10:12 AM
I'm in!

Coreene
Apr. 17, 2002, 10:32 AM
Thank you for the compliment. Today, when I discover that an advertiser has a major eff-up in their ad, it makes me feel much better.

Coreene
Apr. 17, 2002, 10:38 AM
I'd put enough guilt screws on until I had a right hand page at the 52X net rate, far forward, and they'd throw the color in free. Because they could put it in a color signature and they would not be paying extra for color.

'Cuz if you were gonna do that in my paper, those are some of the strings I'd pull for you.

Heidi
Apr. 17, 2002, 10:44 AM
Coreene, baby, you forget that I'm a mother, wife and a Korean to boot - trust me, I can do guilt. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I've sent off an email, BTW, to the COTH ad rep with a recap of our plans and request for the discounted 52x rate. Shall advise once I hear back.

Coreene
Apr. 17, 2002, 10:48 AM
Call the publisher and lean on 'em for all this and more.

muley1
Apr. 17, 2002, 11:45 AM
Just keep me posted as to where to send the check.
This has really touched my heart. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Erin
Apr. 17, 2002, 11:48 AM
LOL... oh geez, the poor COTH folks, at the mercy of Heidi and Coreene. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Remember guys, this doesn't need to be fancy. Personally, I would be happy to have a simple 1/2 page B/W ad, and have lots left over to send a big honkin' check to the American Cancer Society or something. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Heidi
Apr. 17, 2002, 12:56 PM
I have heard back from Belinda at COTH who has nicely agreed to a 26x rate for the memorial ad.

The full-page 2-colour ad would total $1182.20 (which includes typesetting and scanning of the picture); the full page black and white ad would total $934.70.

To do justice to the picture, I'd prefer a colour ad - b/w in this context seems too bleak to me. Perhaps we should contemplate then, a half-page, right hand, vertical ad at the 26x rate - $676 - which will likely leave quite a nice sum to donate to a charity in Kathy's memory.

Le me know what y'all think.

Sandbarhorse
Apr. 17, 2002, 01:02 PM
I'm all for the 1/2 page color ad. you're right about the need for color here and that will still leave a decent donation I would think.

Have you gotten any word from the family as to whether it's OK with them? I may have missed it, so forgive me if that's the case.

lilblackhorse
Apr. 17, 2002, 01:07 PM
I called her brother today (who lives here in town) and told him that I was very sorry, and told him of the tribute here. I just received a call from his wife, and will call her back and give her this address. I just wanted them to know what a special person she was to this bb and how many lives she touched.

Aimee

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

agedbayhunter
Apr. 17, 2002, 01:15 PM
Count me in, too. This is a great group!

Beezer
Apr. 17, 2002, 01:52 PM
I'm in. Just let me know how and where.

"When I can't ride anymore, I shall still keep horses as long as I can hobble about with a bucket and wheelbarrow. When I can't hobble, I shall roll my wheelchair out to the fence of the field where my horses graze, and watch them." -- Monica Dickens

Seven
Apr. 17, 2002, 01:55 PM
I also vote for color...or colour. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

=^+^=

1-800-Dial-A-Distance
Apr. 17, 2002, 02:02 PM
I vote for color/colour as well, but I will leave that up to the pros and my donation won't be making that financial difference. (college student)
1-800

Seen on a Centre College Democrats T-Shirt
"Because no one ever said they wanted a good piece of elephant."

horsesrlife65
Apr. 17, 2002, 02:14 PM
I read her thread just yesterday and today! When did she pass? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Coreene
Apr. 17, 2002, 02:17 PM
CactusKate is a FULL PAGE GAL. She is not a 1/2 page gal.

Ad peeps would think it would be an insult to send her off with less than a full page. The $600 difference isn't going to mean much to the American Cancer Society, and is going to mean a lot more to everyone who knew her by giving her the full page tribute.

And this is not me running down the contribution to the American Cancer Society, it's staying with the spirit of the ad. We will get more than the cost of the ad, and I suggest that we send the extra to the ACS while giving Kathy the nice splashy ad she so richly deserves.

And since the difference for color vs B/W is so small, paint it in all colors of the rainbow.

LaurieB
Apr. 17, 2002, 02:31 PM
Please count me in too. Just let me know how to contribute.

I'm with coreene. Cactuskate deserves a full page tribute.

Heidi
Apr. 17, 2002, 02:41 PM
LaurieB, email Erin at COTH and she'll email her home address.

We should probably wait to see how much money is donated before making a final decision on the size of the ad - it may be that we can do both the full-colour ad and make a donation to a charity.

For those who've expressed regret that they can't contribute much financially, please don't. That you're willing to contribute whatever you can to memorialize Kathy is a wonderful, wonderful testament to each and every one of you. And think of it this way, if 200 people contribute $10 each, we have more than enough for the ad and a charitable donation.

Erin
Apr. 17, 2002, 02:43 PM
Definitely don't worry about how much... hell, you can send me a $5 bill if you like. Every little bit helps, and this is all about being a group effort. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rockstarr
Apr. 17, 2002, 02:48 PM
It is a most fitting memorial for such a cool person.

I think we can do it, no problem! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JustaLurker
Apr. 17, 2002, 02:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coreene:
Please, if we're gonna go for it, let's go for it 100%.

CactusKate is a FULL PAGE GAL. She is not a 1/2 page gal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I so heartily agree with this!

This thread has reached page 6 without my seeing it and I'm sorry to be a bit late in replying. But, of course, I'm in and will be sending off an address request to Erin post haste.

Cheers, Maggi

Coreene
Apr. 17, 2002, 03:14 PM
Thank you for thinking of that! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AHC
Apr. 17, 2002, 04:31 PM
Count me in too.

Seems today is a sad day to catch up on the BB after not checking in for a couple of weeks. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Sparkntime
Apr. 17, 2002, 04:55 PM
Count me in. I'm a chronic lurker but I've received alot of inspiration from Cactuskate and others on this BB. I love this BB!

Jane
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:03 PM
Please count me in too.

Erin, I will email you, but in case my note gets lost in the barrage of emails you're no doubt receiving, please send me send me your addy and any info. Thanks!

wtywmn4
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:27 PM
Erin is there any way we could send the checks to the COTH in care of you? Don't know how to do the PayPal thingie...sorry.

Full page, am with you Coreene...

Lisamarie8
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:50 PM
I've got the negotiating thing down. I'll drop a line to the rep. I'm SURE if we mention tastefully in the ad that COTH helped make this possible we can work out something. I also don't think that anything less than FP, 4/c will do

Heidi, I'm sorry i didn't get to send you and e-mail today. Work was INSANE! After i eat some of my pasta salad that i've spent the past 2 hours making, i'll drop you a line too /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm so glad we can do this for CactusKate, her family and her memory.

[This message was edited by lisamarie8 on Apr. 17, 2002 at 09:01 PM.]

Lily
Apr. 17, 2002, 05:52 PM
I'm in- what a great idea, Heidi.

ErinB
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:01 PM
But I saw this-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Definitely don't worry about how much... hell, you can send me a $5 bill if you like. Every little bit helps, and this is all about being a group effort. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If whatever leftover lunch money I have can help, well then, I've e-mailed you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Erin B #1
I'm pink, therefore I'm ham. -Miss Piggy

Linny
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:02 PM
I was away all day and this is the first I've seen this thread. What a great idea Heidi. Please advise as to where to send donations.

Resident racing historian
May the horse be with you -Harvey Pack May you be with the horse - My last trainer

Fred
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:24 PM
I've been out all day, but count me in. Thank you Heidi for your thoughtful idea.

Erin
Apr. 17, 2002, 06:46 PM
Reposting Heidi's directions on how to contribute below. (Basically, figure out what country you live in, and then email either her or me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

BTW, if you HAVE emailed me, and don't get a reply back within a few hours (assuming you're not emailing me at 4 am), shoot off another note just to be sure. I get lots of email as it is, and I'm trying to keep careful track... but I can miss things as I switch back and forth between my work and home computers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heidi:
Serendipity, I bet you could contest me easily for Uber-goddess status. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Though, you aren't Canadian, or a Swiss goat herder, and I do believe they're pre-requisites. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Okay, administratively, please note:

-As Erin pointed out in her email, the ad will make Kathy's BB family feel good but a donation to a charity may help someone else to feel good.

To that end, I'd like to propose that we book a half page 2-colour ad ($862) and donate the balance of what's collected to a charity of Kathy's family's choice or an equine rescue.

-Cheques should be made out personally to Erin (for the Americans) and to me (Canadians) so that we can cut exact amount cheques for the ad space and a charity. Whatever I collect from the Americans will be converted to a USD money order for either COTH and/or a charity. Erin will cut similar cheques.

-Americans, please email Erin for her mailing address:
erin@chronofhorse.com

-Canadians, please email me for my address and 'real name' ( /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) :
heidi278@rogers.com

Lisamarie, could you email me also so that we can coordinate the logistics - i.e. booking of ad space, etc.

Delighted, I'd bet you that Kathy's husband or family would love a drawing of the photo posted of Kathy in the showring.

I am so wonderfully happy and proud to be a member of this BB family.

[This message was edited by Erin on Apr. 17, 2002 at 12:18 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heidi
Apr. 17, 2002, 07:41 PM
Before you contact COTH, email me first and I'll forward the email correspondence between myself and their ad rep, Belinda - don't want to be stepping on any toes here.

BTW, what kind of pasta salad takes two hours to make? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Reginapony
Apr. 17, 2002, 08:22 PM
Count me in.

*Endurance Rider Wannabee!*

Miniwelsh
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:13 AM
Please count me in. She was truly an inspiration with a wicked sense of humor. Somehow I missed her February post since I don't live on the BB like I used to - I wish I had known and could have e-mailed her before she was gone.

This is a wonderful idea Heidi.

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

Lisamarie8
Apr. 18, 2002, 06:19 AM
Before you contact COTH, email me first and I'll forward the email correspondence between myself and their ad rep, Belinda - don't want to be stepping on any toes here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotchya! I'll do that right now before the rest of my work day sneaks up and b*tch-slaps me like it does every other day /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heidi:BTW, what kind of pasta salad takes two hours to make? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The kind that you almost cut your finger of in the making /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Lots of fresh veggies to chop, lots of chicken to pound thin, slice and grill, lots of blood to lose I assure you /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Allyn M
Apr. 18, 2002, 07:07 AM
Count me in ! We all need to celebrate the life of a great horseperson who knew how to deal with the big " C " with optimism and a sense of humor.
Is there someone in her family who will be able to enjoy her horse or will he be able to find another loving home ?

Allyn McCracken
Sport Horse Breeder
www.bannockburnfarm.net (http://www.bannockburnfarm.net)

fernie fox
Apr. 18, 2002, 07:14 AM
What an inspirational person she was.I too would like to contribute.will E-mail Erin for addy.The folks on this board are incredible.

Absent in body,but present in spirit.1 Cor.v 3.

fernie fox
"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound".

EquiMom
Apr. 18, 2002, 07:38 AM
How Cactuskate would have enjoyed this thread--everyone jumping in with such loving enthusiasm and energy!...The community spirit at its best...even at the worst of times..!

Hope that a full page/color is possible--I already mailed my bit toward the effort to Erin...I "figured out" that I live in the US because I just ordered new checks as opposed to "cheques"..! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by EquiMom on Apr. 20, 2002 at 11:59 AM.]

Heidi
Apr. 18, 2002, 12:16 PM
Cactuskate's family has happily agreed to the memorial ad from her 'horse chat' friends. We'll have to ensure that they're forwarded copies when the issue comes out.

Lisamarie, yes, I'd heard you made a fine vinegrette dressing - now I know your secret ingredient. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Coreene
Apr. 18, 2002, 02:24 PM
So are we agreed on the Rocketman photo? Or could Dublin get permission from Kathy's family to use several, and we can also post the one of her from the 70s and does anyone else have some?

That Rocketman photo could be the poster photo for the saying "No time is wasted that is spent in the saddle."

Erin
Apr. 18, 2002, 02:29 PM
Coreene, the other photo (if it's the one I'm thinking of... Clownin' at a fair?) was taken by a professional, and we'd have to try to get permission from him or her to use that photo.

I think the Rocket Man photo really says it all. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Coreene
Apr. 18, 2002, 02:31 PM
Never thought of that. Blonde and all that.

M. O'Connor
Apr. 18, 2002, 03:08 PM
I was going to print it out...but I think I'll wait for the ad and clip that...

Normally, I'd consider a contribution to charity more useful than an ad--but in this case, that photo, and her cheerful description of how she devised the backpack are so completely awsome that I'm sure that seeing it will change people's outlooks and do them a world of good! I can't wait to see it in print!

MCL

BustersMom
Apr. 19, 2002, 10:25 AM
Bumping up.

Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group

Everythingbutwings
Apr. 19, 2002, 10:30 AM
Winston Churchill: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In My Early Life he wrote: "And here I say to parents, especially to wealthy parents, 'Don't give your son money, give him horses.' No one ever came to grief - except honourable grief - through riding horses. No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle. Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing horses, but never through riding them; unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that is a fabulous quote to use.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world, indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

Coreene
Apr. 19, 2002, 12:10 PM
I just love that quote, it's divine.

Inverness
Apr. 19, 2002, 01:06 PM
I love it too. It is posted on my office door. Very appropriate methinks.

"Whatever women do, they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good.
Luckily, this is not difficult."
-- Charlotte Whitton

Gallop On
Apr. 19, 2002, 06:48 PM
I'm a little late in the game, but I'm in. Tell me what to do.

Clive's Mom
Apr. 20, 2002, 06:19 AM
I heard the sad news from HN73 this week. I'm not able to read the BB that much while I'm in Florida. I read ALL 7 pages this morning - wow.

Erin - my email is coming, followed by my check.

- C

- Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at a bar. -

Lisamarie8
Apr. 20, 2002, 07:02 AM
I've "Spoken" /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif with Heidi, Erin and our fairest Merry, and it's all coming together. Merry is going to send me the hard copy of the pic so we can get a high res scan, and Erin I'm guessing you'll keep me posted on how much money we have to work with /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I've contacted out rep at COTH via e-mail and will keep y'all posted on how that's going. Bill is going to make his way over here to check out the posts to get as much info as he can for the ad.

Evalee Hunter
Apr. 20, 2002, 12:00 PM
is spend the money to help some poor horse or horse rescue. The money spent on an ad serves no horse.

Stop & think. If you were to be memorialized one day, wouldn't you rather know your memorial helped an animal of the species you love?

www.rougelandfarm.com (http://www.rougelandfarm.com) home of TB stallion Alae Rouge, sire of our filly Rose, winner on the line at Dressage at Devon

Sonesta
Apr. 20, 2002, 12:53 PM
I'm in, too! Emailing Erin, now.

"Find something you love & call it work."