PDA

View Full Version : WTH is biting me?!?

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
Something is biting me in my bed. It has happened four times over the course of about three months. The first two times it was so bad I had to get a course of steroids. Not sure if I am getting used to it or what but they aren't quite as bad now. It is usually three or four bites in about a two inch square area. Three of the four times it was on my arm, once it was on my thigh. They itch and hurt and get a raised blister. My doctor's guess is some kind of spider. Hubby did have some little marks on his arm once but they never got blistered so not sure if it is the same thing or not.

I have washed the bedding of course each time including the pillows and comforter. It is a soft sided waterbed that is in a wooden frame with a liner. Nothing is apparent when I pull it back and look inside or underneath. I really don't want to spray chemicals on my bed but am getting sick of being bitten. Three more today on my upper right arm.

Any idea what it could be and what to do about it?

Simkie
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
Bed bugs?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bedbugs/DS00663/DSECTION=symptoms

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:14 AM
That does seem to be the most obvious choice but you really can't see any evidence of them at all. I am not saying that isn't what it is but I can't see them anywhere.

Simkie
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
Apparently they hide in tiny tiny little cracks and crevices? Wiki has a pic of one hiding in a screw hole in the bed frame: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug

Maybe you can find an outfit with a bed bug dog to come out and sniff around?

maunder
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:33 AM
It does sound like spiders. You'll get several bites within the same area. Ick.

I'd be doing some serious bedding flapping before I got into bed! :lol: Actually, I might do that anyway tonight in sympathy of your plight.

Gainer
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
Sounds like spiders to me as well. I've suffered from multiple spider bites in the last couple of years. Since I'm allergic, it means steroids, antibiotics, antihistimines and a lot of discomfort.

Unfortunately there are heavy woods behind my place and the spiders are bad, no matter what I do about them. They always seem to attack at night.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
Any chance you have been taking a high dose of Ibuprofen?

At the advice of a nurse friend, I upped my dosage to 800mg when my bad knee got torqued.

The knee appreciated this, but suddenly I was itching all over in a pattern that resembled the classic bedbug breakfast/lunch/dinner trio.

I freaked :eek: - wondering WhereTheFruitbat I had gotten bedbugs - I had been nowhere for months and noone had used my bed!

Topical hydrocort ointment helped but after a couple weeks of this torture I asked one of the pharmacists I work with and was told high-dose Ibuprofen can affect your liver function which can cause the itching.

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have the exterminator coming this afternoon just in case. This has been going on too long. No ibuprofen thankfully, I had facet blocks and feel awesome! High doses of advil gives me lesions in my throat that are more painful than whatever I took the meds for.

Alagirl
Jun. 22, 2012, 12:00 PM
My first instinct was bed bugs.

had them in the old house. They would get me around the back of my neck and leave welts.

But since we had fleas at the time, too, I bombed the house and all was well. :)

But the two times a suspected spider bit me, it was quiet painful as well as leaving welts. One time the welt actually felt feverish hot!

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 12:08 PM
I just hope the exterminator finds something and can get rid of it. It takes like two weeks for the bites to go away so I am going to be styling on the beach...

Daydream Believer
Jun. 22, 2012, 12:52 PM
Do you have any pets? I've gotten chigger bites from sleeping with my dogs in the bed. I've gotten ticks that way too despite using Advantix drops.

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 01:21 PM
Yes, I have cats and dogs. I don't think they are chiggers though. Hopefully we will know what it is very shortly. The exterminator is coming sometime between 2 and 4. I just hope they find something as I certainly couldn't.

kookicat
Jun. 22, 2012, 01:28 PM
Would hanging a mosquito net over the bed help? Least then you'd know if it was something -in- the bed or something from in the room.

Gainer, might help you, too.

JanM
Jun. 22, 2012, 01:51 PM
I suspect spiders. There are tiny little spiders that are invisible to the naked eye, and if you are allergic to them you get a really bad reaction just like what you described. A friend and her husband had a wooded area they were building a house on, and they were clearing brush and picking up around the place during construction, and she turned up with huge bites that were itchy, swollen and awful to look at. Her dermatologist said that because she was allergic they were big bite marks, and her husband who was apparently also bitten wasn't allergic, so his marks were tiny and not a problem. She had to get all kinds of shots and treatments also.

I would suspect the spiders are under the bed base, between the bed and wall, and might be in the tiny places inside the bed frame also.

I would drain the mattress, or drain it enough to spray the bed frame under it, let dry, and fill the mattress back up. And have the exterminator concentrate under and behind every part of the bed. And whenever you move brush, mow etc, then come in dump your clothes in the washer, and hit the shower asap, then you might not have another problem with them. I totally hate spiders, and there a lots around here too.

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
There is no way to get under the bed without dismantling it. It is a solid wooden box.

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 01:59 PM
Would hanging a mosquito net over the bed help? Least then you'd know if it was something -in- the bed or something from in the room.

Gainer, might help you, too.

A google search on Gainer brought up some disturbing possibilities but none of which seemed even remotely relevant! Care to explain?

kookicat
Jun. 22, 2012, 02:02 PM
A google search on Gainer brought up some disturbing possibilities but none of which seemed even remotely relevant! Care to explain?

Sorry, I was referring to the poster on here with that name. :)

Sounds like spiders to me as well. I've suffered from multiple spider bites in the last couple of years. Since I'm allergic, it means steroids, antibiotics, antihistimines and a lot of discomfort.

Unfortunately there are heavy woods behind my place and the spiders are bad, no matter what I do about them. They always seem to attack at night.

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
Oh good! I wonder what kind of cookies list I am on now?!

kookicat
Jun. 22, 2012, 02:06 PM
I seem to have upset you. I'm sorry. It was never my intention to confuse you.

CHSatwork
Jun. 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
minute pirate bugs? We're having a problem with them now. Do you have any crops growing around you? We have corn and hay fields around us and this is the first year we've had a problem with these bugs. I am bit from head to toe. You can't see them when they're babies but they still pack a heck of a bite. When full grown they look like fleas but they fly, they don't jump and they smoosh like a regular bug. They are driving me crazy.

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 02:46 PM
I seem to have upset you. I'm sorry. It was never my intention to confuse you.

No worries! I was just trying to figure out how gaining weight for sexual purposes would help get rid of spiders or whatever I seemed to be plagued with.

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 02:48 PM
minute pirate bugs? We're having a problem with them now. Do you have any crops growing around you? We have corn and hay fields around us and this is the first year we've had a problem with these bugs. I am bit from head to toe. You can't see them when they're babies but they still pack a heck of a bite. When full grown they look like fleas but they fly, they don't jump and they smoosh like a regular bug. They are driving me crazy.

I guess you would have to define around us. There definitely aren't any growing in my bedroom which is where I have gotten bit every time. The first bite was back in March, don't think much was growing back then. Hopefully this mystery will be solved and eradicated momentarily.

CHSatwork
Jun. 22, 2012, 02:52 PM
They are so tiny they get in no matter what. The first time I got bit while I was sleeping. I flipped thinking bedbugs. It took a couple weeks to figure out what they were. Now I get bit outside. I look like a heroine addict with bad aim. Everyone that sees me freaks out asking what happened. I'm that bit up.

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 03:00 PM
There is corn about half a mile to 3/4 of a mile away.

AliCat518
Jun. 22, 2012, 03:04 PM
Hmm this is interesting. Ive had a similar thing going on. Mine is on my left outer thigh and about 8 inches long...3 inches wide. It has a couple spot on it that look like they could be bites, and the skin is raised and red. I *think* ive gotten it in bed.

Does this sound at all like what you have?

I went to my derm for my yearly check and had her take a look. She glanced at it, measured it and declared she didnt know what it could be (uhhhh ok) and gave me the strongest steroid cream she has.

I didnt like her answer, so I havent used the cream yet. I'm acutally headed to my PCP in an hour for a different reason, but am going to have him look at it as well.

Let us know what the exterminator says!

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 03:12 PM
That sounds way bigger than what I have. This is the latest bites which are nowhere near as awful as the first few times but still suck. That is about a 2X2 inch square.

AliCat518
Jun. 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
hmm, nope. Not what mine looks like at all.

It sure is a buggy spring/summer already....

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 03:27 PM
Looks like spiders of some kind. Better than bedbugs I guess.

Bacardi1
Jun. 22, 2012, 04:03 PM
You poor thing! Another vote for spiders here. I go thru the exact same thing now & again, & unfortunately for an arachnophobic like me, have actually seen the offending critters at times. Ugh!

Unfortunately both common "House Spiders" and the much nastier Brown Recluse LOVE hiding in bed linens, towels, laundry baskets, piles of clothing, etc., etc. I shake out EVERYTHING thoroughly before using it.

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 04:09 PM
He found 6 cellar spiders in the bedroom as well as some other spider he did not recognize. He said he had never known a cellar spider to bite but that any of them are capable of biting. He didn't see any evidence of bed bugs but set some traps for them just in case. Hopefully this is over!

Bacardi1
Jun. 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
I agree with your guy that it's doubtful you're being bitten by "Cellar Spiders". I have them here too, & frankly they're probably one of the only spiders that don't send me into a tailspin. For starters, they're not hiders. They're very spindly & fragile - wouldn't last long at all under bed sheets. They make a light straggly web - usually in a high-up corner somewhere - & stay in it. Like, forever until they die. They wouldn't be walking around in your bed.

Laurierace
Jun. 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
They were in webs under the bed though which is the only reason he thought it was possible. Maybe whatever the unidentified one was the culprit? It was super tiny, about the size of a tick and had a web behind the curtain on hubby's side of the bed.

CHSatwork
Jun. 22, 2012, 07:04 PM
I scratched mine raw and bloody. I have big scabs all over me, except my face. These things don't bite your face for whatever reason. Definitely not cellar spiders. We're loaded with them and have never been bitten.

rmh_rider
Jun. 22, 2012, 07:27 PM
My first and only thought after reading the whole thread: spiders. Baby spiders can bite. And those dang things are itty bitty.

Glad you had somebody come out.

I have had bites in the bed too. I have awakened at night with an itch on my leg and I swear it had to be a spider.

My husband is the vacuumer in our household these days. I do have him get under the bed and in the bedroom really well.

I have other bug bites on me right now. UG. Hate bugs that bite!

I do not think bed bugs.

Spiders of some sort.

Vacuum EVERYWHERE and frequently. Ya just have to.

JanM
Jun. 22, 2012, 07:42 PM
I bet it's the babies of the one under the bed. And if you see little moldy, very flat patches that look like some kind of fungus-they're spider eggs also. And I meant between the mattress and inside frame, if it's the kind of bed that has the frame with the vertical frame sticking up to hold the mattress in-I think the corners and crevices inside there would be great hiding places.

CHSatworks-are you sure the bugs at your place aren't weevils? They are really hard to smoosh, and dark brown or black, and come out of flour, crackers, cereal, dog biscuits, and seem to be everywhere at once.

TheJenners
Jun. 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
Oh man ew ew ew ew!!!

I HATE SPIDERS :dead: I killed four in my bathroom last week while sweeping. Last night one ran out from under my towel on the shower curtain and started to run across the curtain towards DH's towel. I swatted it into the hot water. Hot water = instant death. This morning I was vigorously shaking the towels.

alabama
Jun. 22, 2012, 09:30 PM
I keep getting bites on my forearms. >:( I suspect spiders as well. The bad thing for me is that I get more and more allergic to wasp and spider (and who knows what else) as I get older. Today, I have a 6"x3" swollen place on my left forearm. I'm about ready to bomb my bedroom! This has happened multiple times this spring.

Derby Lyn Farms
Jun. 22, 2012, 10:57 PM
Recluse spiders bite bad and have sent my dad to the hospital for antibiotics and steroids. They are nasty little buggers that like to hide. But maybe you are getting them out in the barn and you don't know it? Either that or a black widow. Can't think of any other spider that would welt you up that bad.

Derby Lyn Farms
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:01 PM
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Habitat/WildAcres/waspiders.asp#cobweb

Our black widows in MI are a little different then yours. I don't think ours are quite as venomous.

alabama
Jun. 23, 2012, 12:46 AM
I know that my bites aren't black widows or recluses. Unfortunately, I've been bitten by a brown recluse before. The itchy, swollen places I'm getting from my latest bites are similar to my most recent wasp stings - very different from my recluse bite.

My paternal grandmother was very reactive to spider bites, whether they were considered non-venomous or not. I think I take after her.

Chall
Jun. 23, 2012, 06:51 AM
You could try sleeping on a coach in another room for a night, with no pets no hubby.
That eliminates bed, pets ( and husband :lol:)
If you STILL are bitten, then I'd look at them landing on you during the day and biting you when you remove clothes, bites showing up next day.

Pa Rural
Jun. 23, 2012, 07:11 AM
That sounds way bigger than what I have. This is the latest bites which are nowhere near as awful as the first few times but still suck. That is about a 2X2 inch square.

OMG your bites look like the 10-15 welts I have on my side and forearm. I too have been dumbfounded as to what's biting me. I seem to get the bites in waves- they are intensley itchy. I don't recall anything biting me- and I 'm always covered in flyspray (not by choice) so I assumed that the bites must be occuring at night.

I will be scouring the bedroom this afternoon...

RiverBendPol
Jun. 23, 2012, 08:04 AM
Hahaaa, I just came here to post WHAT THE HELL IS BITING ME???
I was away for 10 days. When I got home, naturally, first stop was 2 hours playing in my barn with my OTTB and 2 rescue ponies. While I was in there, I realized I was getting bites on the backs of my knees. Huh. Funny, not flies, I barely wondered about who was biting me, kept playing, not thinking about bug bites. When I got up to the house and started unpacking, I realized holy cow, I have a lot of bites. 78 to be exact. Elbow crooks, knee crooks, chest (yes, boobs), back, belly, thighs, neck, ear lobe, eye corner. They are big bites, very pink, the size of a quarter. SUPER itchy. Then after a day, they open a teeny tiny hole in the center and weep. Similar to a tick bite only squishier, if you will...Oh! So itchy, I'm all squirmy. So I was thinking I must have walked into a web of tiny baby spiders. Turns out, my horse and the people who took care of my barn while I was away are all also covered in the same bites! WTH??? Not the dogs, not the house, not the cats...Barn Swallows? We have had MANY dead fledglings this year (15 in 1 day)...are they itching to death or carrying some kind of biting parasite that's sucking them dry, killing them and then biting us?? Eeew.

quarterhorse4me
Jun. 23, 2012, 08:44 AM
Okay yall are really creeping me out. All the bite stuff is like reading Chocomare's onchocerca thread!

kashmere
Jun. 23, 2012, 09:21 AM
There has been a huge resurgence of bed bugs in the past few years. It's more common to find them in cities, but totally possible for them to be in more rural or suburban areas.

A few years ago when I was living in Montreal, I had bedbugs in my apartment. Similar bites: round, in clusters of 2-3, and the itchiest things I've ever experienced. Before figuring out what was going on and getting them exterminated, I went through a round of prednisone and several steroid creams. Phone around exterminators and find someone who's dealt witht them before; they'll know where and how to find them.

As for the bugs themselves, they're very flat, sort of fat-oval in shape, and a red colour. They look sort of like lentils or some other kind of little seed or legume.

Good luck!

Laurierace
Jun. 23, 2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks Kashmere but the exterminator has already been and gone. He found spiders but no bed bugs. He did set some bed bugs traps just in case though.

Laurierace
Jun. 23, 2012, 09:38 AM
Just checked, there is nothing in the traps yet.

kashmere
Jun. 23, 2012, 09:47 AM
Well that'll teach me to respond without reading through first :lol:

I hope the culprit is found quickly! Being itchy is the awful, and thinking of mystery bugs isn't so great either :eek:

CHSatwork
Jun. 23, 2012, 10:44 AM
I bet it's the babies of the one under the bed. And if you see little moldy, very flat patches that look like some kind of fungus-they're spider eggs also. And I meant between the mattress and inside frame, if it's the kind of bed that has the frame with the vertical frame sticking up to hold the mattress in-I think the corners and crevices inside there would be great hiding places.

CHSatworks-are you sure the bugs at your place aren't weevils? They are really hard to smoosh, and dark brown or black, and come out of flour, crackers, cereal, dog biscuits, and seem to be everywhere at once.

These are not hard to smoosh. They don't even make a crunch sound.

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 23, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'm officially itchy all over now! I HATE SPIDERS! There was a brown one in our bathtub & I woke my boyfriend up at 5 am to kill it...and there was another the next day...and I woke him up again! LOL!

Daydream Believer
Jun. 23, 2012, 02:08 PM
That absolute worst itching I've ever had was when I got exposed to some sort of scabies mite. We bought some infested straw and all you had to do was handle it to bed stalls and you'd break out in spots all over. The itching was seriously intense...worse than nettle rash. It didn't last long but it was horrible.

I saw a doctor and got misdiagnosed as poison ivy and later found out it was Scabies (mites).

MaybeMorgan
Jun. 23, 2012, 02:48 PM
Mosquitos? especially tiger mosquitos

skippy60
Jun. 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
Oh man, im having a similar problem, and i live alllll the way across the country from you (southern california). For me, its more like i am getting a bunch of bugbites that make the rest of my skin break out into a rash. Then most of the bites will go away, but the rask keeps coming back! I have one on the left side of my face that made my whole cheek erupt into a pimple-like rash (its a rash, i swear) the bite on my cheek feels really, really REALLy hot to the touch...

JanM
Jun. 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
CH-I guess they aren't weevils then, and I'm glad because they are disgusting and hard to get rid of.

And for the spiders-don't forget that just because the bites show up at home doesn't mean that you aren't getting bitten at the barn or somewhere else, and it just takes a while to show up.

ako
Jun. 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
This thread is well-timed... I get bites that look like Laurie's. Happens periodically. I've suspected spiders over bedbugs in my case because it's not a constant occurrence. Eeeww.

Curious to see if bedbugs end up in the trap or if spiders are the final verdict here...

Pa Rural
Jun. 23, 2012, 11:59 PM
So having scoured the room and flipped the mattress- I found... a few teeny tiny baby spiders- sucked them up with the vacuum and threw out the bag immediately. Did not find any other critters, i.e. fleas, ticks...
Using benadryl on the bites w some relief.

I have my fingers crossed hoping this was it....

Any results on your end Laurieracer?

JanM
Jun. 24, 2012, 10:18 AM
One thing I always do with my regular spring or foam mattresses is always use a fitted vinyl or zipper cover. It keeps them cleaner, and if you spill something like lemonade while watching tv in bed you only have to clean the sheets, mattress pad, and top covers (yes, I know but it seemed like a great idea at the time). And it should prevent anything like dust mites from getting into the mattress top, and getting around you.