PDA

View Full Version : Need new farm / business insurance - I have 5 days.

DiablosHalo
Jun. 22, 2012, 09:59 AM
I've searched the threads. Thought I could get specific recommendations from people in my specific situation. My insurance policies run out June 30th. I just got my new premiums for next year and they are OUTRAGEOUS! I need recommendations for a reasonable company that can cover all these things.

I own a small farm with a ton of outbuildings and a large costly home. I have an incorporated business for the farm and I board TB racehorses. No lessons, pleasure boarding/riding. I maintain commercial vehicle coverage even though I only ship a few times/year now.

I live in Delaware and am currently with Farm Family.

Here is the coverage I need:

* Homeowners policy for a large/$$$ house including contents
* Personal liability
* Business liability
* possible umbrella for personal/business liability
* Care, custody, control
* Commercial vehicle (truck/trailer)
* Personal vehicle (me and hubbys cars/motorcycle)
* another policy (or included in one of the above?) for machinery, tools, equipment, etc.

Thanks for any help!

LauraKY
Jun. 22, 2012, 10:03 AM
Farm Bureau. For us, in Kentucky, it's the best deal by far.

DiablosHalo
Jun. 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
DE Farm Bureau recommends Nationwide Insurance. I sent my doc pages to them and they came up with a price $100 more expensive with what seemed like less coverage.

I will call and chat with FB though - the president is a mutual friend. Maybe he knows something that would help me.

vicarious
Jun. 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
Been with Farm Family for years, when Farm Bureau switched
companies we tried to get a quote from Nationwide. They dragged their heels and never got back to us. Seems that horse farms are out of their ken, and anyone who give lessons makes them really nervous.

So staying with Farm Family whose rates really haven't changed that much, but they write their policies differently now. It seems that their Commercial Liability is now lumped in with the main farm policy.

SMF11
Jun. 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
You could see if it is cheaper to break out the house/contents from the horse business. That's what I do. My premiums (boarding retirees, no lessons/shows etc) are $500 for liability and $500 for CCC (last time I checked). I use Broadstone as the agency.

DiablosHalo
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
I'm paying 5 figures right now for these policies with one claim for a stolen gator and house theft years ago - and police caught the guy. Farm Family has not been thorough in their payouts. They drop the ball and I've had to go through tiers of managers at the claim center to get any service. It's a shame bc my agent is great. Seems like he's stuck between a rock and a hard place covering my policy - but it should be half of what it is.

I'll look into Broadstone. I just inquired with AgriRisk (after google search of companies). This is so frustrating.

SunkenMeadow
Jun. 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
I use Ruhl Insurance, they are in Manheim, PA. Agents name is Bob Moore, could not be happier with them and the rates are fair. I have my house & contents seperate as well as the cars seperate. But all under the same agent. they saved me over $700 from where I was before and they understand horse farms, which is very helpful.

spotmenow
Jun. 22, 2012, 09:17 PM
Been with Farm Family for years, when Farm Bureau switched
companies we tried to get a quote from Nationwide. They dragged their heels and never got back to us.

Wow. Had same exact experience except that I called Nationwide's 800 number and told them that I had contacted a local agent, gave him reams of information about our current insurance and he insisted on our SS numbers, etc. as well. A month went by with no farm quote ever sent. I told the customer service rep that I did NOT want to deal with that agent and please have another agent contact me since my info was in the system already. Guess who called with an absurdly higher quote...the incompetent agent that I specifically said that I would NOT give my business to. So, we are still with Farm Family as a result. Thumbs down for Nationwide.

Jleegriffith
Jun. 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
Farm Family is the best in our area and truly the only company that I know of that can handle all the areas that you are talking about.

tasia
Jun. 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
I use https://www.travelers.com/business-insurance/specialized-industries/agribusiness/farm-ranch.aspxTravelers. Hope this helps.

You have to either put in farm in their search box or look under specialized insurance.

Fairview Horse Center
Jun. 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Contact Blue Bridle http://bluebridle.com/

DiablosHalo
Jun. 24, 2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks! I will look into the others mentioned. I'm talking to Hoffberger but haven't sorted every detail yet.