PDA

View Full Version : Snotty nose, no other symptoms--allergies or ????

BlueEyedSorrel
Jun. 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
For the past month, Pixie has had an on-again, off-again snotty nose. It comes and goes, and sometimes almost disappears for up to a week at a time. This morning, she sneezed out a palm sized blob of thick yellowish-white mucus. Ewww, I know...she was nice enough to aim the sneeze at the fence and not me ;)

Aside from the fact that we recently moved from MO to OH (and snotty nose started before the move, anyway), nothing else has changed. She has no other symptoms whatsoever. No fever or weight loss. Eating/pooping/energy level/behavior are all normal (well normal for Pixie, which is not necessarily normal for the rest of the equine species:lol:). Occasionally, she'll cough once at the start of work, but that's it.

No other horse at my current or previous barn has anything similar, and Pixie has NEVER in her 11 years had this. I also can't correlate with weather or pollen/mold levels (which I follow daily for my own allergy issues:) ) Stabling situation is out on grass for 12+ hours during the day, in barn overnight. The BO/BM are fanatical about cleanliness, so the barn is about as non-dusty as a barn can be. Attached indoor arena is watered down daily, stalls cleaned daily and bedded with some kind of low-dust pelleted bedding.

I'm totally stumped by this. I haven't had the vet out because a) she seems completely fine otherwise and b) the now its here, now it's gone thing makes it near impossible to be sure that the snotty nose is actually present for the vet to see.

Has anyone ever had a horse with anything similar? What did you do? Any experience with the OTC Anti-Hist? Suffering from seasonal allergies myself, I can imagine it might improve things but would I be just treating to make me, not the horse, feel better?

Thanks!
BES

Halt Near X
Jun. 20, 2012, 04:23 PM
Yes. On/off snotty nose that did not really respond to antibiotics or sinus flushing at barn. Surgery with a scope found a ball of pus in a pocket in the sinus. They removed it easily and she's been fine since, knock on wood.

Another option might be infected tooth. We kept looking at that too (X-rays etc).

Halt Near X
Jun. 20, 2012, 04:26 PM
Incidentally antihistamines did not help my mare. We tried several in increasing strength.

Simkie
Jun. 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
Have you tried antibiotics?

My filly had a snotty nose. We gave her antibiotics. She got better :) Hers also came and went, depending on when you saw her.