PDA

View Full Version : Arena footing...how much?

cswoodlandfairy
Jun. 20, 2012, 02:41 PM
So we are looking to add footing to our ring. It has a solid base but now we need the sand. Our ring is 64 x 150. Are there any specific calculations to know how much footing is needed?

We would be getting sand from the local quarry.

Thanks in advance!

Calvincrowe
Jun. 20, 2012, 03:27 PM
Mr. CC is a math teacher/Masters in Math and is pretty handy at these kinds of calculations. You need to tell me the depth you want to add--1 inch? 2? Then he can do the equation. Also, he'll figure it in cubic feet (or yards). How does your local quarry price/deliver it--by the ton or by the cubic yard? I can't help you with the "ton" thing...

Simkie
Jun. 20, 2012, 03:35 PM
There are plenty of calculators online that will give you a number. This one, for example:

http://www.ataktrucking.com/materials-calculator/sand-calculator

Just figure out how many inches you want to add (I've heard it's best to go light--always easier to add more than to take away too much) and plug in the numbers.

Guilherme
Jun. 20, 2012, 04:04 PM
Are you looking to calculate the amount you need? Or calculate the amount you should have?

G.

bathsheba8542
Jun. 20, 2012, 04:15 PM
That's a neat calculator! I put in 66 tons, which says I have 1.5 inches, approx. which is about right. I'm really happy with the depth.

AliCat518
Jun. 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
The ring at Yule is only 64X150!? Or are we talking about a different ring?

cswoodlandfairy
Jun. 21, 2012, 08:55 AM
The ring at Yule is only 64X150!? Or are we talking about a different ring?

Same ring. They have gotten all kinds of quotes and they have no idea what they are doing. I want to be able to have enough research and understanding to be able to go to them and show them the calculations, etc so they wont overspend and put too much in.

Right now they are looking at 3 inches. We have a packed blue stone base already. So we just need the sand at this point, but I'm fearful that 3" will be too much!!!

Also they are NOT horse people so trying to get them to understand to start low and add later is not in their game plan, they want to do it once and not have to touch it for a couple years. We are a hunter/jumper barn with horses going from 2' to 4' so I want to make sure its not too deep and enough.

Guilherme - I am looking I guess at both. But would much rather come to the owners and say this is what we should have versus what they think they need!

keatssu
Jun. 21, 2012, 10:57 AM
We put our sand down last week. Our contractor has a paver so he was able to put exactly 1 1/2 inches. He actually went to the quarry to pick it up himself so that he could get only enough to achieve the depth (or close so as not to have too much left over). The calculator predicted 135 tons, but it only took 110 tons. We added 1/2" of crumb rubber to that and it is PLENTY. Be very careful about putting too much down to start. It is very difficult to take off. Maybe you can find someone with a paver to spread your sand.
If I can figure out how to do it I will post a picture of the sand before the rubber.

KPF
Jun. 22, 2012, 10:49 PM
OK-- Is that calculator really right? My ring is about 80' by 120' and if I did 1.5", it'd be 44.44 cubic yards. I found a converter to convert to tons and that's only 11.88 tons. That is less than one dump truck load, can that possibly be correct? :confused:

My gravel dust base has finally settled (after a few years) and it's getting hard so I need to add sand. Don't want to add too much, for sure, but would like to get enough. Thoughts???

Rabtfarm
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:06 AM
64 feet by 150 feet at one inch is about 30 cubic yards. Most standard(non-triaxle) dump trucks are about 14 yards per load. So you would be looking at 2 truckloads at least per inch. USDF recommends about 2-3 inchs on a good packed base but a bit more depth may be appropriate for heavy jumping use.
KPF: your yards amount is spot on; not sure I agree with the yards to tons conversion. You should be getting about 3 truckloads at 14 yards per load.
It appears that you are endeavoring to educate someone about ring materials. May I suggest the USDF book Underfoot. It only costs about $15.00 and can be purchased online from USDF.:

https://www.usdf.org/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=UNDERFOOT&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.exe%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3DUSDF%2 0lun%26searchstart%3D20%26template%3DPDGCommTempla tes/FullNav/SearchResult.html

Or USDF: Publications: bottom of page: Underfoot.

They are also very specific on the type of sand and source you want for your arena plus all drainage pitches/elevations.

Sing Mia Song
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
May I suggest the USDF book Underfoot. It only costs about $15.00 and can be purchased online from USDF.:

https://www.usdf.org/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=UNDERFOOT&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.exe%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3DUSDF%2 0lun%26searchstart%3D20%26template%3DPDGCommTempla tes/FullNav/SearchResult.html

Or USDF: Publications: bottom of page: Underfoot.

They are also very specific on the type of sand and source you want for your arena plus all drainage pitches/elevations.

Thanks for this, Rabtfarm. Just placed my order.