PDA

View Full Version : Most anal barn/trainer rule?

rileyt
Jan. 17, 2001, 06:40 AM
Spaz00's post got me thinking... and some repliers mentioned really detailed listings from trainers regarding lists of things you HAD to have. Even down to the boot size, and brand names! Just curious, What are some of the most anal "rules" you have encountered at a barn, or working with a trainer? I know a lady who required students to ride in WHITE polo shirts during their summer lessons... GAWD!! WHITE??? This was in Pennsylvania where they had this awful red clay... Anyone else care to share horror stories? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rileyt
Jan. 17, 2001, 06:40 AM
Spaz00's post got me thinking... and some repliers mentioned really detailed listings from trainers regarding lists of things you HAD to have. Even down to the boot size, and brand names! Just curious, What are some of the most anal "rules" you have encountered at a barn, or working with a trainer? I know a lady who required students to ride in WHITE polo shirts during their summer lessons... GAWD!! WHITE??? This was in Pennsylvania where they had this awful red clay... Anyone else care to share horror stories? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FairWeather
Jan. 17, 2001, 07:08 AM
To leave a barn because I didnt know what the rag on the hose was for. (Wiping your hands maybe?)
Uh, no...It was for wiping off the entire hose before rolling it back up.

k.
huh?
Well, the woman was also a bit of a nutcase...
FW

Always,
FairWeather
http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

AdultHunterRider
Jan. 17, 2001, 07:29 AM
Once worked for a trainer who insisted that
all of the winter blankets be taken off before
the horses were turned out. This was upstate NY
in the middle of winter; temperatures in the teens.
Luckily they were only
allowed 15 minutes of individual turnout. I really
felt sorry for them.

Once we had to turn out all of the school horses
out together without blankets, it started to snow.
By the time we got all of them, they were shivering and shaking.
I confiscated every cooler
in the barn to get them warmed up.

ProzacPuppy
Jan. 17, 2001, 07:29 AM
One trainer (remaining nameless) was so anal about neatness that if your horse pooped in the arena during a lesson you had to stop, get off and clean it up. Kept muck bucket and shovel next to all arenas-just in case.

On that same note - our current (new) trainer has decreed that all riders must wear collared shirts (in neutral colors only), breeches (NO CANARY) and tall boots (basic jumper show attire)with only white saddle pads and polos (or boots) even when schooling. I went along with it for lessons but when its 100 degrees and humid, I'm thinking tank top and paddock boots sound alot more comfortable.

Anyplace Farm
Jan. 17, 2001, 07:32 AM
The only anal stuff I have ever seen other barns do made perfect sense to me. This one barn I was in had hoof picks hanging outside of each stall door. The owner wanted each horse's hooves to be picked out before they walked down the aisle. Her barn was exceptionally organized and tidy. I love a tidy barn.

Baroni
Jan. 17, 2001, 07:43 AM
My trainer doesn't want anyone but the working students at the barn the morning of a horseshow. She will start off nicely by saying "oh no, just meet us at the show - we'll get him over there". If you try to insist on coming by to help in the morning she will try to come up with excuses and finally say "no, go directly to the show". I used to feel bad about not being there to help in the morning - especially considering that my horse, as a grey, feels it is his duty to get as dirty as possible the night before a horse show. But now I must confess I do enjoy being able to sleep a little longer - and I always try to pick up breakfast for everyone on the way to the show.

rileyt
Jan. 17, 2001, 08:28 AM
I agree, some anal rules make sense ( I love the hoofpick outside the door rule! maybe I'll try it), but some of the rules seems just ridiculous, like getting off in the middle of a lesson to scoop poop? I mean, really, poop happens... how does that trainer get through a day around horses if he can't stand the poop? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Robby Johnson
Jan. 17, 2001, 09:12 AM
Where I'd scoop the poop if some idiot told me to get off and do that in a lesson! That is so much a control freak thing it's not funny! I find that most trainers are ridiculous control freaks anyway. And I am too. So I try to avoid them on a really regular basis.

I've not been at a barn where I can cite ridiculous rules like some of these! The first "barn" I boarded at (I always had my horses at home, so I've just been in two boarding situations) did instill in me the habit of cleaning my tack each time I use it. At first I thought that was absurd, but then realized it wasn't and it's been habit ever since.

Robby

Hardly there
Jan. 17, 2001, 09:53 AM
I tried the hoofpicks on the stall door thing ...
Didn't work.

Put hoofpicks in arena so people would'nt track arena footing thru the barn...
Didn't work.

The only rule that I do enforce well try to anyway is all horses must have leather halters no nylon for turnout.

I did have a boarder who also wanted his horses blankets off for turnout even when it was -20 but I would not do it.

ErinB
Jan. 17, 2001, 10:06 AM
Would someone insist on having blankets off for turnout? Especially up North! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Awww, those poor horses. If someone told me that I couldn't have my blanket on my horse during turnout, I'd tell them where they could put that blanket instead! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Someone I used to board at would charge us money for every little thing not put away after riding. $1 for brush, $1 for hard hat, $1 for sponge... it got expensive since this was mainly a barn full of forgetful kids! But I'll admit, we did start thinking a little more about putting stuff away...

Seems like a lot of show barns are pretty anal about everything matching. But that's fine in my book as long as they aren't downright rude if you can't afford everything right away. It does look pretty when everything matches!

Also heard about a trainer here in FL who had a rule about how short her female students could cut their hair. If it wouldn't go up in a hairnet under their (unapproved) hard hats, they couldn't cut it.

*~Erin~*

LittleWitch
Jan. 17, 2001, 10:11 AM
I have been at two barns where you were required to immediately clean up after your horse if it pooped in the arena. My clever horse learned that if he pooped he got to take a break so he would poop one road apple at a time. That way he could take as many breaks as he wanted during our ride. I finally started ignoring the rule and would clean up the arena after I was done riding.

Merry
Jan. 17, 2001, 10:22 AM
Wow, FairWeather, the hose rag takes the cake.

I haven't encountered anything much beyond the command to have a matching tack trunk, which is nearly impossible when you school/stable with a couple of different trainers, hence I'm always stuck at the end of the barn aisle, so as not to ruin the ambience. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

But my girlfriend moved to an upper scale A barn, all excited that she got in, and was immediately given a list of items she needed to buy. One was a New Cavalry bridle. She already had lovely tack. It didn't matter. Everyone in the barn HAD to have a New Cavalry bridle. Period. Or you didn't go show.

Medievalist
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:07 AM
I had to do the hose rag thing when I would water the arena using the opposite aisle's hose(anal little man...). One time someone in another aisle tried to water the arena, and she didnt wipe off his precious hose and he freaked out at ME. So I just stared at him while he threw his fit, and then when he finally finished I just walked off without saying anything. Then he had the nerve to complain to me about how dusty the arena always was(Do it your own dang self...I dont get paid to do it!) What an ass...I wont miss him one bit!

Merry
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:12 AM
Would it help if the rags were monogrammed to relieve confusion?

Velvet
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:20 AM
1. Hoof picks on the door of the stall and next to the main doors so you didn't track into the barn (and I was a working student and would have cared less about being the one to pick it up).

2. Mucking out a barn at 4:00 AM to be sure it sparkled before anyone came for a clinic because *horrors* you couldn't actually muck a stall in front of the owners friends!

3. Picking up any stray piece of straw or hay that left the stall. (And these were open doors on the top so you spent all day doing it.)

4. Not leaving one of the individual stall lights on when you were mucking a stall if there was any daylight outside. (Who cares if the working students lose their eyesight and become bats--using sonar to find piles in the stalls?)

5. Having old tires in all the corners of the stall (laying on the ground) so you used less bedding and forced the horse into standing in the middle of the stall. (Ever hear of building smaller stalls--or just giving up the ghost and spending a bit more on shavings?)

6. Picking daily and turning the horses out for 6 days, then having them stay in for a full day (and you weren't allowed to go out to the barn) so they don't have to muck...then the next day they strip the whole stall and start over. Weird. (That didn't add up to 7 days, but you get the idea.)

7. Picking up your horses droppings as you rode around.

8. Not using the barn phone, but having to find the owner in an emergency and they used the phone (students barn...not one I would board at).

9. Disinfecting the wash stall after every use.

10. Putting all of the polo wraps up in a cupboard for display after you rolled them (and you had to roll them right or redo them).

Some of these are similar to a few of the others, which makes me wonder where they started. Too bizarre.

brilyntrip
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:21 AM
lol but I was thinking ....
you know when that Footings Unlimited company started doing everyones rings they said that they would not uphold their guarantee if ... wait you'll love this ...There was any manure mixed in with it.Ummm... Riding arena horses riding in the arena ...POOP happens right. maybe thats why the trainer was such a nut case!

FairWeather
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:22 AM
I thought the rag was for wiping off my HANDS!
HA! How silly of me!

I knew the woman was bonkers when I went to the barn to find a tree had taken down a good part of the fence (my horse's pasture) and there was a gaping hole. We used twine to secure it for the time being and put the horses away. I was then screamed at for using the ORANGE TWINE! Thats the GOOD TWINE!
Come again?
I was audi.
FW

Always,
FairWeather
http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

VTrider
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:32 AM
Sea Urchin used to have a cute little 4 horse barn that I kept my large pony at about 7 years ago. Well, Sea is really anal about hoof polish. Our groom, John, had to oil the horse's feet before they went out in the AM, when they came in at 3PM and after they had dinner...Horses definitely look better when their feet are painted...but who was going to see their feet at 2AM /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Oh well, it was a great barn non the less!

ErinB
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:39 AM
Whoa Merry, you HAD to buy a New Cavalry bridle? Hummm, guess someone would have to throw the Beval or the Edgewood out the window, then. Geez, who can tell one nice bridle from another? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Stupid people.

Do you know what else was on "the magic list?" I'd kinda be interested in knowing, lol!

*~Erin~*

~SC~
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The first "barn" I boarded at (I always had my horses at home, so I've just been in two boarding situations) did instill in me the habit of cleaning my tack each time I use it. At first I thought that was absurd, but then realized it wasn't and it's been habit ever since.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same w/ me! The first or second barn I was at had a rule that you had to A) Clean every piece of tack every time after you rode B) Saddle pads and polos were washed IMMEDIATELY after being used C)Every horse's legs were washed w/ Orvus and warm water after you rode. And you HAD to towel dry them until they were totally dry~! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I still clean my tack like 1-2x a week, but some of that is extreme! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

~Sarah

Baroni
Jan. 17, 2001, 12:09 PM
we were only allowed to play country music on the radio at the barn. My trainer's sister was a country music (and control) freak. It didn't matter if I was there at 10pm braiding horses, if she came in the barn she would flip if there wasn't country music playing - she claimed it soothed the horses.

OnyxThePony
Jan. 17, 2001, 12:28 PM
I now know of three barns that don't allow jumps set up and left in the arena??? Like, you can set them up before you ride, but you have to take them down and put them away after you ride. gooood...bye..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Tin
Jan. 17, 2001, 12:45 PM
Welcome to my world BossHoss! The last 2 stables we've been at if you wanted to jump you had to set them up right before hand and take them down right after. Putting them away in a nice geometrical eye pleasing pile as well! This explains why my poor Tin man hasn't been over a jump since way into the summer! lol!

Lets see what else can I add to the list....

-no turning on the lights in the owner's side of the barn, well duh! we had to walk through the owners side of the barn to get to the arena

-scoop poo IMMEDIATLY after your ride (arena and outdoor ring)

-anything left out was confiscated or comviniantly misplaced. Try stuffing tack/equipment for two horses in a 12" by 12" locker, got smart though and started to pile everything ontop of my saddle rack! ha!

-no more than one blanket hanging on the stall, others were to be put away (where? that 12" locker isn't like those little clown cars)

-lights for arena had to be turned out BEFORE leaving the arena even if another person is just about to come in

-horses with studs/corks/caulks/borium had to be cross tied on the mat. Fine, but they were 12 borders in the winter time and one mat /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sleepy
Jan. 17, 2001, 12:51 PM
There's nothing that will make you appreciate where you are like reading the absolute insanities that some of you have to put up with. My one boarded out horse would come home in a NY minute if I had to do some of that stuff.

We have to clean the wash/grooming stalls immediately and poop from the driveway/courtyard but that's it.

Showhorse
Jan. 17, 2001, 01:46 PM
I'm Soooooooo glad that I have my horses at home. And the tack room is as sloppy as it can get before I can't walk. My tack gets cleaned when I feel the whim (its crappy stuff anyway - i need a new saddle and bridle sooooo bad). The hose is almost never coiled (not really possible in the winter because it will crack if you try). I don't ahve arena lights. Radio would be on hard rock if it could pick it up but its on pop. lets see. . . I don't oil my horses feet - it doesn't help anyway. all of my stuff for schooling never matches - ie burgundy splint boots, white bell boots (well tannish now from age) blue or blakc gloves, depending on which I can find. Whatever saddle pad I can find. Hunter green chaps, usually navy blue jodphurs underneath, black helmet.

And do I care? NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Velvet
Jan. 17, 2001, 01:55 PM
Is it worse to have insane rules, or no rules at all and everyone out to get each other for imagined or real transgressions? I mean, I've been around stables were people are just so stupid, you start to wonder about how they can actually learn to walk...let alone have a horse and ride. Without barn rules of any type it just turns into a free-for-all and you can barely ride in the arena, or stand in a cross tie without having people act in the most idiotic manner.

I think we need a new list for the most stupid boarders you've been around--when there haven't been any hard and fast rules...just common sense would do. But, NO, these people don't have any whatsoever!

Not really venting, it just brought it to mind. I'm always stunned by the people who walk right by my horse when I've been tied in an aisle (because its the only legal place to groom) and they walk under the cross ties and on top of your horse. Or barn owners that place metal garbage containers in the corners of a grooming area behind the horse. Then there are the people who leave equipment all over the floor or don't close arena doors, don't announce themselves and scare the beegeebers out of your horse when they enter the ring, etc. Okay, so maybe I am venting! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif It's not that I've boarded at places like this, more that I've had to teach lessons at places like these and I'm always stunned.

Okay, I'm done now! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Must just be that it's "hump" day.

Sleepy
Jan. 17, 2001, 01:59 PM
Velvet, I think this deserves its own thread.

Twister
Jan. 17, 2001, 02:01 PM
My trainer frined had a road manager who would not allow the feeding of carrots. Said it made them bite. Couldn't even drop them in the feed tub! 'Control freak' is the phrase that comes to mind. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Dianna
Jan. 17, 2001, 02:03 PM
I would not want any horse turned out in their entire "night time" attire ... Why? Because if they run and play and sweat, you will end up with a sick horse. They also need the sunshine on their backs... now if a horse is clipped, old or prone to illness, I would want a turnout rug on them.

pwynnnorman
Jan. 17, 2001, 02:11 PM
TXtrainer, I've encountered that one A LOT (having to pick up the poop--although never having to dismount immediately to do so!). The problem is that it tends to lead to "whose poop is it" arguments.

I encountered an anal rule about having to pick out the hoofs into a muck bucket (the thrust was that you shouldn't let any of it drop on the aisle floor). That same barn, you had to sweep each and every time to led a horse in or out if it lefts little bits of dirt or bedding behind. Made you want to teach the beast to tippy toe down the aisle.

At the Equine Research Center at Cornell University, when I worked there in the first semester of my freshman year--I'm adding all the qualifiers to be sure you realize I don't know if they are still doing this--they mucked out the stalls with shovels, EVERY DAY. Took out all the perfectly clean shavings as well as the poop. Each and every day...and this wasn't the barn where anything special was going on in terms of having a need for hyper-hygene.

Oh, on the jumps. I once leased an aisle in a barn where most of the folks jumped little stuff or single fences (never gymnastics). I got into clashes with the boarders because, even though they always left the jumps as they were--often jumping the same things for weeks on end until there were craters in front of every jump. I'd come in and set up a grid and leave it up, or set up something big--and they'd complain because I was setting up stuff they couldn't jump. The owner tried to solve the problem by "designing" a "new" course every week that everyone had to use or reset if they changed it. No one ever changed it except me, of course, so I was always lugging the jumps around.

Sportponies Unlimited
Specializing in fancy, athletic, 3/4-TB ponies.
Shameless signature plugplugplug.

spaz
Jan. 17, 2001, 02:26 PM
Happy to see I inspired somebody /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Robbierox
Jan. 17, 2001, 02:45 PM
I heard of one place that duct taped the radio so you couldn't turn up the volume or change the channel.
Barn workers were told to work at opposite ends of the aisle and NO talking!
Boarders were not allowed to speak to the barn workers while barn workers were working which was always!
If you finished all your work early and did an amazing job, you had to sit down and write out (on a piece of paper) why you did NOT perform your duties properly as to be finished before your required time!! Like 100 times!
Working students had 8:30p.m. curfews (even if you were a legal adult) and had to ask permission to "go out" with friends to a movie etc. Then they were told that if they had so much spare time that they could go see a movie, they had better stay home and wash the "acid rain" off the trailer, in the middle of winter and in the dark!!!!

Velvet
Jan. 17, 2001, 02:49 PM
That made me remember a job where I was teaching at the barn (hired on) and the owner didn't want me to franternize with the boarders. So, here I was, thousands of miles from my friends, working only in the barn all day long, and I wasn't allowed to make friends with anyone (and I certainly wasn't friends with the owner). Then I made the mistake of hanging out with the barn manager and got kicked out (guess she had the hots for him even though she was married). What weirdness. Okay, you can work for us, but you can't have a life. Gee, sounds good to me! Needless to say, I was only there 3 weeks. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Spunky
Jan. 17, 2001, 03:05 PM
At my barn there are no rules. But if you piss the owners off you are SOL. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hardly there
Jan. 17, 2001, 03:27 PM
Robbierox The rules you've described are BEYOND anal lol.

And I thought I'd heard it all * sheesh *

stop4
Jan. 17, 2001, 05:15 PM
My barn has a small tack shop and everytime anyone leaves polos out, they are taken and washed and put into a big basket in the shop. You can buy back your polos for 2 dollars a peice..... And some of the polos have names and everything. It is common practice for all of us to go into the shop before our lessons and buy back our polos /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

brilyntrip
Jan. 17, 2001, 05:33 PM
BEYOND THE BEYOND!!!!!

elizabeth
Jan. 17, 2001, 10:07 PM
My trainer's indoor ring door has a sign on it that says "please pick out feet so we only have to sweep a little bit."

For the longest time I thought that that meant she wanted us to pick out our horse's feet when we got IN the indoor, before we rode, as opossed to when we LEFT the indoor, after our ride. I never said anything b/c I just thought she was a little . . . eccentric. When it finally dawned on me what she meant. . . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

tle
Jan. 18, 2001, 06:28 AM
At my current barn we have pages of rules including...

picking up after your horse in the indoor
putting away jumps, poles, etc. after your ride in the indoor
putting away poles and barrels and putting jumps up properly in the outdoor (meaning no pole can be resting entirely on the ground... something about how the guy who usually drags it always bangs into poles on the ground)

honestly, I don't see a whole lot wrong with any of our rules given that 1- we're on a military base and therefore they dictate quite a few rules (ie: quarantine procedure, mandated stall cleaning every day, etc.) and 2- our membership is always changing due to people moving and we have such a wide variety of disciplines/breeds/knowledge.

Some of the rules others have mentioned... WOW! Gotta go, see ya... NO WAY! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

rileyt
Jan. 18, 2001, 06:47 AM
You were cross-tied at your barn? Doesn't that hurt? nyuk nyuk nyuk, I be pissed too if somebody walked right by and left me there. tee hee... sorry. I'm giddy, I have a half day of work today.

Kirsten
Jan. 18, 2001, 06:55 AM
You went to Cornell? So did I! When were you there? I was there 92-96... played on the polo team.

Velvet
Jan. 18, 2001, 07:23 AM
Hmmm...guess I better check my tenses and from which person I write (first or third) from now on! Darn...caught in a trap only an English Major could appreciate. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Erin
Jan. 18, 2001, 07:30 AM
Kirsten... email me! You probably know my polo-playing former Cornell roommates!

Black Market Radio
Jan. 18, 2001, 07:49 AM
Well, I can see the jump rule if there is only one arena on the property, and this is why. I had my 18hh Hanoverian at a place with a tiny indoor, and they would cram 15 jumps in it, and only move them around every few months. Let's see, the footing got craters, there was no room for flat work, barley enough room to just w/t/c around the edge of the arena. If you moved the jumps and put them back exactly where you found them, you got yelled at. If you changed the radio station even if you were the ONLY person out there and the owner wasn't there, You got yelled at. If you fed the horses more than ONE flake of hay (we are talking tb rescues here) you got yelled at. I will continue my list later because I have to go to work...

They also made me clean out ALL of the poop in the 1/3 acre pony pasture! It took an hour just to do that! there were anywhere from 15-20 ponies out there!

And if you did ANYTHING to make the owner mad, he would write a really nasty and demeaning letter on the dry erase board that no one was allowed to erase until HE said so. No matter if people had important info on the board, like leaving emergency numbers when you go out of town etc... He would erase everything and not care! No wonder I didn't last there very long!

[This message was edited by devildog20 on Jan. 19, 2001 at 10:32 AM.]

Anyplace Farm
Jan. 18, 2001, 08:13 AM
When I worked at Beacon Hill, this was our routine:

After feeding and doing stalls-

Tack up first horse
Use foam square pad under saddle
Soak ace bandage in water and wrap top of tail
Black polos up front
Hind boots
Hoof oil
No shavings in tail
Wet mane
When horse comes back, untack, black halter on
Bathe w/Orvus
Put specific thermal (Irish knit) on
Walk till dry
Clean all tack
Going to ring:
Brass splits (Newmarket chain) on bit w/brass lead
Specific thermal
Wash socks after each round
Wash horse after each ride
Clean tack after each use

But, again, because I am barn freak, it all made sense to me.

ProzacPuppy
Jan. 18, 2001, 08:28 AM
At the barn where you had to clean up in the arena after your horse the owner also had the grooms go out into the paddocks every morning and pickup all the poop from the previous day before turnout began. I guess if you're going to be anal, be anal about everything. It was also the kind of place where you had to sweep the aisle after you did anything in it etc. To be honest, it was one of the best run barns I've ever been in and at the time I never questioned the rules since they seemed to work so well.

I still don't understand the need for specific attire when just hacking your horse on a Sunday. And we also have the rule about only one blanket hanging on the stall at a time. Unfortunately that means that if it goes from a daytime high of 65 to a nighttime low of 33, your horse will still be standing in a completely open barn with a Baker sheet on, since the grooms don't go hunting for hidden blankets.

We're also supposed to use the "barn's grooming supplies" (brushes, sponges, sprays) rather than have our own. I'm not complying with this one yet. I hate using the same brush on every horse (what if someone has a fungus or something and what if your horse is sensitive to the barn shampoo or fly spray?) But it does keep the amt of stuff that boarders have the possibility of leaving lying around to a minimum.

I agree with whoever said that sometimes the barns with less rules run better than the ones where everything is goverened by a rule. All the rules just leave an opening for boarders who don't get along to start "telling" on each other.

Regalmeans
Jan. 18, 2001, 08:31 AM
Because our barn has dressage and hunter people so when we put jumps out we have to put them back... plus the hunter trainer who runs the barn drags the indoor like 3-4 times a week anyways so if the jumps were left up they'd be in her way and it wouldn't get dragged as well....I think that rule actually makes sense - our barn doesn't really have 'anal' rules but we keep things very neat and the manager basically runs things her way - and she happens to be very good about making sure everything is as it should be - horses get blanketed, stalls are perfect, etc etc.

Sarah

pwynnnorman
Jan. 18, 2001, 08:32 AM
Kirsten, I graduated in '84.

Oh, er, and in spite of giving it my all, I didn't make the polo team. Had my dressage horse with me and couldn't change the seat enough to satisfy. Their decision made sense to me. I sure learned a lot during the try outs though. Like, I never knew you could lead four horses at one time with nothing but a halter and a few haystrings!

Sportponies Unlimited

Robbierox
Jan. 18, 2001, 03:16 PM
....there's more! If the working student DID get a day off, this person would cruize in his vehicle outside wherever they were (bar, movie) until they came out and then take off to get home before they did. True! There were many, many witnesses! His wife thought he was weird too!
He also broke whips on horses during training and LABELLED them with the date and horse and hung them up on the arena walls....sort of like some "medieval" display thing. He would also demand, in the middle of a ride or lesson "FOOD" and the grooms/workers/working students would have to run and cater to him or he was REALLY cranky and even meaner. He was screaming at his wife once...."make me a bun"...one of the worker's said (with a gesture with her hand) "POOF"...you're a bun! We thought we would all die laughing...even he laughed at that one! He would also take you around the arena to show you every dent in the walls and explain which horse did it, when and how (like rear, buck, resisting due to such and such a problem, etc.) All his students except for one have now left him.

keke414
Jan. 18, 2001, 05:31 PM
I took a few lessons way back when from a dressage trainer who was a major league Dressage Queen (I didn't know what those were back then). During my lessons she kept telling me to lift my diaphragm, not my chest "because the chest is not a muscle". Well, the diaphragm is a muscle, but it has to go down in order for you to breathe in air. So she was getting mad at me for breathing during my lesson.

CAH
Jan. 19, 2001, 05:49 AM
I love my barn I love my barn I love my barn....

Some of these stories are just unbelievable and would drive me insane!!!

I can see the one about sweeping the barn aisle after you are done. Nothing drives me crazier than someone who puts their horse on the crosstie, pulls their mane, picks their feet and leaves a pile of manure on the floor. I guess they think the gremlins come out after they leave and clean up after them!!!!

RedHotMama
Jan. 19, 2001, 06:30 AM
Did you know that at Sweet Briar College if you have your own horse and you want it turned out, you have to do it and stay with the horse.
Also, you cannot go faster than a trot in their indoor unless you are in a lesson, even on your own horse when practicing.
This was the practice at least 3 years ago.

Pat
Jan. 19, 2001, 07:34 AM
This is a fun thread!

Medivalist, lemme guess, the hose belonged to the guy with the polo pony! Fun group over there.

I had the jump rule at the last barn I was at, but just for the indoor. The indoor is tiny, so really you had to flat, then stop and put up jumps or you would crash for sure.

At Ri-Arm, we had the hoof pick rule too. It keeps the dirt where it belongs and keeps the aisle clean. I was in the barn attached to the indoor so I helped me alot. The other girls had a little bucket to pick feet into so they had less to sweep up. These were our ideas, not the owner!

Chelsea Eq. Center in NYC has the poop in the indoor thing. I had to send out grooms every two hours to scoop poop. Ridiculous! They hated me for it.

Not being able to cut your hair? I can't even get my kids to remember to use a hair elastic. Sheesh.

Albion
Jan. 19, 2001, 08:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Did you know that at Sweet Briar College if you have your own horse and you want it turned out, you have to do it and stay with the horse.
Also, you cannot go faster than a trot in their indoor unless you are in a lesson, even on your own horse when practicing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello everyone ... I've been a lurker here for quite some time, but I just had to respond to this - I am a student at SBC currently & involved in the riding program - and, while the above statement may have been true at one point, it's no longer the case. Private horses get turnout & you don't have to sit there and watch, and we are allowed to do any flatwork we choose in the rings (including the indoor) outside of lessons. However, you do have to have permission to *jump* outside of lessons.. A lot of the stuff we do seems a little anal (there are tests you have to pass to be able to go & hack, etc) but it's pretty much for the safety of the students & horses. Just wanted to clear that up ... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rocky Pony Rider
Jan. 19, 2001, 03:25 PM
Ok i love my new barn (no analness heehee) but my old horrid barn was well, a different story:

if you were to ever fold a sheet you must have the monogram showing just to show everyone how wonderful you were for having stuff monogrammed

the blankets and other stuff had to be lined up perfectly!

You MUST wear TS...NO IFs ANDs or BUTs

He wanted his students to wear makeup (i guess so we can look like nice snobs or whatever)

pwynnnorman
Jan. 19, 2001, 03:52 PM
But maybe someone else has more faith in it that I do?

It's a technique for figuring out if a mare is pregnant or cycling. This lady who shipped nursemares everywhere swore by it.

You take a dog chain and hold it over the mare's loin area. If the chain starts to swing in a circle in one direction, it means one thing. If it circles in another, it means something else. If it goes back and forth without circling, it's still another thing.

I couldn't believe it when she expounded upon this technique--at length!--to the barn manager at one of those humongous, high-powered breeding facilities. The guy was such a saint for letting her go on. I was cringing in embarassment.

A divining rod for horses?

Sportponies Unlimited

Bopper
Jan. 19, 2001, 06:12 PM
I was at a barn that instead of anal barn rules had rules depending on the owners mood:

"You can hose your horse off in the grooming area if you like." That afternoon a big sign appears 'Do NOT hose you horse off in the grooming area.'

You can dump water buckets out in this area. The next day Do not dump water buckets in this area.

This was constant until I had enough and left.

Reckoning
Jan. 19, 2001, 06:30 PM
"Do not annoy the trainer". Our trainer gets pretty anal over that one. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Black Market Radio
Jan. 19, 2001, 09:59 PM
Geez! Some of these people are more anal than Marine Corps drill instructors!

pwynnnorman
Jan. 20, 2001, 09:22 AM
Where've you been? I thought you got shipped out somewhere or something.

Sportponies Unlimited

JC
Jan. 20, 2001, 09:58 AM
But I have learnt the hard way that if you ask, "what'd you say?" more then once especially at a show, you get the "I am not being paid to ruin my voice and train everyone out here! you need to get your ears checked! You must not be paying attention" this is all well and good except when you're riding in a woarm up area with 35 other horses on a windy day. And god forbid you do the wrong thing because you'll be sent back to that stabling area and told to "cool down and refocus" well thats fine but not when you have 10 min before you're class!

JC & Quin

Jane
Jan. 20, 2001, 02:30 PM
okay, I think we have a winner....Robbierox! LOL!

I have to admit, being somewhat "anal" myself, I read the first two pages of this thread thinking "what's wrong with that?"...well, MOST anyway; I do think it 's ridiculous having to get off your horse the instant manure happens, and Fairweather being asked to leave because she didn't know what the rag was for? that's sick....who would want to board at a barn like that? BUT, what Robbierox and Velvet described about how workers were treated are just insane, and I can't believe these barn owners are getting away with that! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Jane
Jan. 20, 2001, 02:59 PM
Devildog, didn't anyone ever erase it when he wasn't around? that's what I would've done. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyplacefarm: were you the one who posted sometime ago about having to wash down the four socks of a horse with a bucket of soapy water between
schooling and class, with a towel under the leg to prevent spalshing? I want to tell you, I was most impressed with that! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Black Market Radio
Jan. 20, 2001, 04:55 PM
I have been here Pwynn! I have been regularly posting too!

If anyone erased the board, there was hell to pay. Believe me. The guy would start ape-ing out all over the place!

Ghazzu
Jan. 20, 2001, 05:08 PM
Barn manager at a place I once worked got really out of control with lengthy notes posted all over the place.
I used to wait till he wasn't around, then take a blue marker and correct the spelling and grammar.
(They were atrocious!)
He would go nuts. He was sure one of the boarders was doing it, but couldn't figure out who.

Laurel
Jan. 20, 2001, 05:34 PM
I am sooooo thankful that I have never boarded at a barn like some of the ones that have been mentioned. The only semi-anal rules that I have encountered have been no oiling feet in the barn aisle and no writing on the dry erase board. If I had to dress a certain way just to take a regular lesson or hack my horse I would be outta there in a flash!

Robbierox
Jan. 20, 2001, 07:58 PM
Sad to say Jane, but it is ALL true! This person is a TOP Grand Prix rider! This person also "labels" absolutely EVERYTHING in the barn. Without a word of a lie....the broom is labelled "Broom", pitchfork labelled "pitchfork" and so on. Then on the walls where the grooms hang them is also labelled. Nothing is done about this person since they are also a high up "judge" and we are all scared that we will never be able to show again if anything is reported! Our students would never be able to show either.

creseida
Jan. 20, 2001, 08:37 PM
Well, the most wonderful barn I ever boarded at (and would still be at did I not buy my own place) had one rule that struck me as anal.

Do not climb over or crawl through the 4 board oak fence. Ever. Always use the gate.

At a barn I used to teach at, we (the instructors) were asked to pick up after our lesson horses in the indoor arena.

smashing fishnets and feathers
Jan. 21, 2001, 01:15 AM
Hey BossHoss- that rule about taking jumps down after you ride- well our "cowboy" barn owner decided after 2 years of having standards, poles, boxes, etc in the corner of the arena(and mind you this was right after we had our show OUTSIDE and the jumping equip. had been outside for a little while), that it was all UGLY and it made the arena ugly. in fact, when he came down to ride(and this is a once in a long time thing to actually see HIM RIDE, and hes got young horses), and see, he hadnt been down to the barn in weeks, and started complaining to our barn manager/instructor that everyone needed to clean the dirt and cowbwebs off the stall ceilings, walls, doors, etc(plus theres about a million birds in the barn, but NOOOOO he wont get a cat, if we tell him too many birds he will put poison out). AND we got in trouble because we hadnt put ONE SINGLE jump away, and it was just an X with two groundpoles. we used it in training sessions for the horses, started a couple jumping(the most anal mare, 10 yo lipizzan mare, plus a 10 yo grey arab, both have only done dressage). now remember, this man rides his horses maybe once every three weeks, and comes to the barn monthly ONLY to collect board checks and complain to our instructor about something. oh yes, and minors are no longer allowed to ride by themselves(namely ME, although we just got two new minors boarding). He was indirectly, yet so directly, speaking specifically to ME, because during the summer my friend and i(friend was leasing a horse at the time) decided to beat the heat and go trailriding at 9:30 in the morning(it was going to be 90-100 degrees, wouldnt you want to beat the heat?). He didnt like that i guess...even though I know the trails well, we had a cell phone, and we were together...who knows. lets just say he isnt one of the most considerate understanding person, and has a extreme lack of common sense. Smash /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Robby Johnson
Jan. 21, 2001, 04:15 AM
the barn management via the dry erase board method. I would completely (at my old barn) act like I'd not seen it when the trainer would gingerly bring something up. I finally told her that writing her notes passive-aggressively on a dry erase board was ineffective and cowardly. It's not hard to manage a business, but sadly too many "horse people" who've only ridden morph into barn managers/trainers and they have no other valuable skills to bring to the table. And in their defense they only do what they know to do. It's such a cycle, too.

As a paying client I don't expect to have to interpret and analyze what the barn manager is trying to say. I think this is also worse when the barn manager is also the trainer, as was the case at my last barn. I will never board at a place again that doesn't have a clear seperation of barn manager/trainer.

Robby

N&B&T
Jan. 21, 2001, 05:25 AM
Most Anal Rule: the hose rag /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Sweetest Revenge: Ghazzu's grammar corrections /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

pwynnnorman
Jan. 21, 2001, 07:51 AM
"It's not hard to manage a business, but sadly too many "horse people" who've only ridden morph into barn managers/trainers and they have no other valuable skills to bring to the table. And in their defense they only do what they know to do. It's such a cycle, too."

Says so damn much!!!!

Sportponies Unlimited

MissD
Jan. 21, 2001, 04:51 PM
OK, now I know this will seem like a dumb question to most of you, but WHAT IS A BARN MANAGER? Most places I know of, including the barn where I ride, the owner is the trainer, and, I guess, the "manager." So what is a barn manager, and what do they do?

ErinB
Jan. 21, 2001, 05:50 PM
The manager is generally the person who orders the feed, hires staff (if needed), makes the rules ( /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ), and generally keeps the barn in order. Grooms are usually second in command to the manager. The trainers can also double as managers and/or owners, but not always. At my old barn, we had an owner, a manager, several trainers and stablehands/grooms and "volunteers" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

*~Erin~*

ErinB
Jul. 25, 2001, 07:59 PM
I was searching for a different thread but this one came up as well. I decided to reread it for fun, but then left the page up for a little while to go tack shopping on a different site in another window. I come back to this page like 15 minutes later to read the last few replies and OMG! I posted the last reply! I'm sitting there frantically wondering if I'm senile, since I DON'T remember posting anything like that, but it is the last reply... hmm, maybe someone hacked into my screen name and posted it? But wait, I'm logged in on my name! This confusion went on for a few more seconds 'till I saw the date I posted it and remembered I'd dragged this topic up from the deep.

Whoops. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

~Erin Lizzy
Visit my Website (http://www.virtue.nu/sugabebe/index.htm)!
I have PMS and a whip. Excuse me, did you say something?

kissandtell
Jul. 25, 2001, 08:43 PM
than be complete slobs? While my trainer is fairly anal about keeping the barn clean esp. at shows, about 99% of the other riders are the messiest bunch of slobs that i have ever met... besides leaving their stuff out all over, they never manage to pick up their horses poop from the crossties... and anyone who has shovled poop from a washrack after someone has bathed their horse, well its not pleasent.....

** Ashley and a big fannie named Annie **

LURKNNOMORE
Jul. 25, 2001, 09:24 PM
I once boarded at a barn that charged ten cents a pound for hay for the trailer-and actually had me weigh it on a hanging scale.If you went away for a show he wanted to make sure you got your money's worth and would continue feeding the hay to an empty stall. If you were away for several days you needed a machete to get into your stall.

Another barn charged extra for manure removal-but you could save money if you brought your own bag from home, placed it in front of your stall and took it home. I couldn't wait to see some kid jump in their parents car with a bag of manure.

I have been in so many rediculous situations in barns, but most were not anal, just dumb...

One barn owner shooting pigeons in front of the boarders-getting rid of the pigeon problem.

Another barn where the owners constantly QUIT, and wouldn't come out of the house-so we were on cruise control.

One barn owner actually kept paying this Mexican guy every week, but he didn't work there.-LOL.

Brigadier
Jul. 25, 2001, 09:50 PM
but DEFINATELY alan owner rule. I rode at a barn where this woman owned two neurotic mares. She didn't ride, but had one of the juniors at the barn ride them. She kept a notebook and pen on their stalls, and the girl had to write down everything! As in: Rode "Betsy" 2-2:45 PM, Walk, Trot Canter, small X a few times. Bath afterwards, grazed for 20 minutes. two carrots before returning to stall. It was much more detailed than that, most of the time.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

hifi
Jul. 25, 2001, 10:05 PM
When I was sooo stupid as to be a working student for a Dressage Queen in North East Ohio, it was winter. By the beginning of the summer the rule was that all her little horses be turned out before sun up so the little darlings didn't have to deal with the flys. I was to get up 6 days a week at 4 in the morning to insure this. On my day off, she rarely got up to turn anyone out. I wasn't aloud to lead her lousy stallion or bridle her horses, I might do something to their mouth. I once asked for 2 days in a row off because my mother was in town and you would have thought I was cutting her right hand off!

If you can't beat 'em, try harder.

Lisi
Jul. 25, 2001, 10:32 PM
I once got this really snotty note from "management" (there's management?!) inside my tack trunk because i had a pair of tall boots in there, in a box, that made the lid stick open. The note suggested that I clean out my box (which is almost always tidy) because it wouldn't shut. I only had the boots in there because I need my trainer to look at me in them. So I wrote a really snotty note back and left it on the box. "management" did not write back.

one time this person was fighting for one of the grooming stalls. she walks her horse over from her house, across the street, and tacks him up in a grooming stall, which apparently didn't go over too well with one of the grooms, or something. anyway she took a roll of masking tape and taped all over the grooming stall, so there was this big web of masking tape over the entrance. then she hung a sign with "so-and so's grooming stall, please keep open. thank you, the management" or something like that. it was very funny.

smashing fishnets and feathers
Jul. 25, 2001, 10:50 PM
haha Lisi i think i might know who you are talking about, with the grooming stall. That must've been hilarious...
isnt the 'management' just lovely? you want to see bad....you should see our tackroom on MY end of the barn, there is stuff EVERYWHERE. There is also a bottle of perrier water that has been there since time began(over 4 years really). aahh, its a mess! one time i went home, didnt come out on the weekend, and on monday, someone had put ALL my stuff in my trunk and pushed it into the corner, and put my grooming box on a shelf. I thought it had gotten lost...

i may be unrealistic, and maybe i can't change the world. But who the heck is going to stop me from trying?
Those who don't succeed in life are often the ones who become very wise.

creseida
Jul. 26, 2001, 08:47 PM
Never *ever* crawl through the wooden fence. *Always* use a gate. Even if the gate is no where where you need to be. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

What I do, I do for my horse, and thus I do for myself~me

Jennasis
Jul. 27, 2001, 05:08 AM
If I EVER had to deal with even one of these anal type things I'd be soooo outta that place!

I worked for ONE DAY at a barn where the owner was so amazingly anal it was frightening. Only CLASSICAL MUSIC was allowed to be played in her barn (I guess she thought it "soothed" them). But she did allow us the play the soundtrack from Mary Poppins. I swear by the time I got home my cheeks hurt from holding in the laughter.

Also EVERY time we got grain out of the grain bin, we had to smooth out the top layer in the bin (mind you the bins had covers so there is no way anybody would ever see how nice and smooth it was).

After we had spent forever mucking out (and it had to be done exactly the proper way or the manager came storming into the stall grabbed the pitchfork out of your hands, starting tossing shavings everywhere and then made you redo it)..and we had filled all the water buckets, one of the horses pooped right IN his water bucket. The barn manager started SCREAMING bloody murder about it (like it had been there all day and nobody noticed it..it had only happened within about 5 minutes of filling the buckets).

I'm glad I wasn't there long enough to learn her other "rules".

At my barn we are very casual. We Kopertox and hoof oil right on the cement and nobody cares. Management DID get angry when they found people wiping oily/koppertoxy fingers on the walls, but could you blame them?

I De-cobweb my entire barn once a week (and I don't even work FOR my barn...no pay. I'm just a boarder). I also have started cleaning manure from the turnout I use, because my horse lives there at night.

Flash44
Jul. 27, 2001, 06:12 AM
Most people/managers that spend that much time micromanaging don't get much done themselves.

Creseida, can you climb or vault the fence?

PortraitPainter
Jul. 27, 2001, 09:14 AM
OK, most anal, most horrible barn-worker experience:
ME!

I got a job at a "compensating-for-the-size-of-something" kind of barn. Show hunters, tres small uber controlling mother and daughter team. I was called "the help" (ewwwwwww) and was responsible for caring for 24 horses. (Mucking, feeding, leading, etc).
WELL, I was haying horses in the paddock- and was yelled at for throwing hay over the paddock fence (hay left on grass outside of paddock impedes grass purtiness), and yelled at to go INSIDE the paddock to drop the hay... OK, little, low-self-esteem me goes into the paddock where there is this soon-to-be-alpo KNOWN KICKER loose in the paddock. The known kicker swings her but to me as I'm putting down the feedcart, and kicks me. Right in the face. I sit down, stunned, and watch blood start to drip onto my white sweater.
Barn owner comes over saying: "oh, this is all I need."
I got 14 stitches and a scar for my severence pay.

Awful awful year. Probably why I love eventing barns now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Flash44
Jul. 27, 2001, 11:11 AM
You have 4 years to sue for permanent disfigurement. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PortraitPainter
Jul. 27, 2001, 11:49 AM
where was this board in 1992?

No, no... the whole incident is long past. The barn owners suffered greater karmic justice (I think) than a lawsuit could have brought on them. (They ended up losing quite a fair bit of business)...
And, perhaps perversely, I kind of like my scar. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PortraitPainter
Jul. 27, 2001, 12:29 PM
did I kill this thread or what?

what I meant to say, was that I used the wrong color rag to wipe snot out of noses... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I hope everyone left work early to go to the beach ...

-N

Eglinton
Jul. 27, 2001, 01:06 PM
No you didn't kill it!! I probably will though! I don't even really have a good story! I did work for some crazy people though. I had to vacuum the walls and ceiling of the barn to suck up spiders, and I had to squeegie the ceilings with pine oil..not fun. I had to stand on a ladder and I swear after 5 minutes my neck would be broken, but I had to do the whole barn (30 stall barn). This was of course to get rid of unsightly fly poop (undetectable by the human eye).You can imagine how often I got pine oil dripped in my face. Lets just say I didn't do alot of taking while performing that particular task. I have worked for people like those you mentioned horseseeker...any injury is a major inconvenience. I cannot stand people like that. It's like once you work in their barn you become an object, not human, and of course have no feelings.

Pocket Pony
Jul. 27, 2001, 03:02 PM
In no particular order:

saddles and girths are on racks in the tackroom without saddlepads or covers (they are NOT allowed in the tackroom) and bridles MUST be tied and hung "just so", and if you do it wrong, the trainer will call you on it and make you re-do it.

horses are NOT allowed to be turned out on Sundays. you are NOT allowed to ride your horse on Sundays - handwalking only.

you are NOT allowed AT THE BARN at all on Mondays.

your sheet must hang on the inside of your stall. the custom wool cooler MUST be folded "just so" and hung on the outside with the leather show halter (without a lead) hanging next to it.

your tack MUST be cleaned after each ride.

your tack trunk MUST be ready to be packed for a show at all times - no unnecessary items should be in there.

Hmmm, I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right now.

"Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!"

Bethe Mounce
Jul. 27, 2001, 03:59 PM
I have my own farm! I have giggled for the past 30 min reading some of the boarding stables rules---some of them I agree with especially the part about jumps---you set them up, you jump them, you put them up so arena will be dragged.

At my farm the rules are: (now take these with a grain of salt ok?)

1. Barn is swept out when the wind has blown all into a corner.

2. Tack is cleaned when I have time--as in when there are no farm chores to be performed that day.

3. Stalls are cleaned when horse has pawed yucky stuff into a corner.

4. No blankets exist due to being in Texas.

5. No halters or leadshanks match because the cats find leadshanks to be things to throw around and since they do the mice thing, I just cannot bring myself to punish them. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

6. Feed sacks go to the big trash pile when there are more than 10 piled up.

7. Horses hooves get picked out when I have the energy to do 40 hooves (10 horses).

8. I ride in my work clothes (jeans and paddock boots and tank tops)---no time to change much less the desire to change clothes.

Just some of the things I was thinking about. My farm is about 30 acres with a hay patch to tend to, fencelines to mend, and minor repairs to farm equipment now and then. The 10 horses who reside at my farm are fat and sassy and pretty much demand Perrier! No tiara changes during the week though! I am truly grateful to have them at home---just seeing them in the pasture is enough to make a bad day into a good day.

BronkBusterTX
Jul. 27, 2001, 04:31 PM
Everything you described could have been all of my barn rules on Long Island and then Princeton, New Jersey. Except you would not have had to worry about the coolers in the aisle, they were in cabinets. The sheets would have been taken care of by the barn staff. If you were a Junior, I would have made you clean your tack. And totally berated you if you had done it poorly.

If you were an Amateur, you never would have had to worry about any of that. Experienced and highly qualified (not to mention slightly overpaid) barn staff was such a luxury.

If I had to choose one of my "pre-Texas" rules/laws as most anal, I would have to say.....screw that why don't I list a number of them and you can pick?

As follows, not necessarily in order of priority.

1. All jump cup pins had to face in the direction that the fence was jumped.

2. Attach girths by the elastic first, on the first hole on the left and then pull the girth up "snug" on the right.

3. Oil hooves before going to the field to work, before turnout and before being put up in their stall.

4. No riding on Sundays, barn CLOSED on Mondays.

5. One sponge and bucket for shampoo and one sponge and bucket for liniment. (I use to come undone if they got mixed up and would throw them away. Texas has cured me of that one, although I still try.)

6. Aisle would get swept every hour while their was traffic in the barn.

7. The bars of the stalls, the tack trunks and the hardware of the stalls was wiped down with Pledge DAILY!

8. The stone dust driveway got raked DAILY!

9. Cobwebs were a DAILY thing.

(this last one is one I think most of my then Adult and Junior clients would have said I was obsessed about)
10. ALL shirts had to be tucked in, hair had to be up under helmet (if it didn't all fit nicely... CUT IT!) and they had to wear gloves. They had to have well fitting chaps and zip up paddock shoes.

And so Splendid, I ask again, do I know you?

Mickee Shaw
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ghazzu
Jul. 27, 2001, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ALL shirts had to be tucked in, hair had to be up under helmet (if it didn't all fit nicely... CUT IT!) and they had to wear gloves. They had to have well fitting chaps and zip up paddock shoes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, while I can believe there might be some valid reason for not allowing your boarders to ride on Sundays (but what is it exactly?), are you *really* such a control freak that you think you have some weird right to tell people how to wear their hair? And why do you give a rat's patootie whther their paddock shoes zip or lace?

What is is with you people?

stephanie
Jul. 27, 2001, 05:02 PM
broncbuster...

the only thing i don't get is the jump cup pins... i assume there's some safety reason for this, but are you saying you never set up a vertical and jumped it from both directions? never did a figure-8 exercise over a single fence?

BronkBusterTX
Jul. 27, 2001, 05:28 PM
First, I wanted uniformity. My theory behind it was that if I instill a neat and workmanlike appearence at home, it would be habitual at the shows. And yes I am a control freak! Aren't most trainer's? I feel that if you're going to try for the part, you need to look the part. It is all about the show!

Secondly, as for the jump cup pins, mostly we did lines and gymnastics at home, so we only jumped those in one direction. This way if the standards fell it wasn't likely that the pins would get lost in the grass. Or if (heaven forbid) the rider went off and fell on the standard, the point of the pin would be on the far side.

Sonesta
Jul. 27, 2001, 05:36 PM
I've got to tell you that since he has come to Texas, he has mellowed A LOT! He trains at my barn and (although we have had numerous b*tch fights about them) he's given up most of his more anal "rules". He's forced me to make many changes (I will grudgingly admit for the better) but here he's had to "get real" and deal with a more laid back attitude. I personally think it's been good for him!

He's had to go from a barn in the NE where he had about 6 employees for 12 horses to one where there is one farm hand and one trainer for about 30 horses. What an eye-0pener!

He's a really great trainer though, so we humor him as much as possible. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif When he gets really prissy, we remind him that he's now in Texas and we might just kick his Yankee butt.

Rebecca www.sonestafarms.com (http://www.sonestafarms.com)
"Find something you love & call it work."

creseida
Jul. 27, 2001, 08:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
Most people/managers that spend that much time micromanaging don't get much done themselves.

Creseida, can you climb or vault the fence?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, Gates only.

That being said, this was the only anal rule at this particular barn, and of all the places I've boarded, the care and attention my horse received more than made up for this one rule! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif If I didn't own my own place now, I'd still be there, knowing that if my horse so much as looked "different", I'd get a phone call letting me know that my horse was not her usual self, and an evaluation as to whether or not it was serious. The care was absolutely *The Best*.

I've boarded at barns where my horse has come in hopping on 3 legs and no one noticed. I've boarded at barns where my horse's leg was scraped and swollen from top to bottom and as big as an elephant's, and no one noticed. I've been at a barn where the psycho..oops, I mean "manager" told me that my colicky horse wasn't colicking and had a yeast infection and not to call the vet. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Then again, this is the same one who was in denial about the rat problem and insisted on calling them "hamsters"... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I was out of all of these barns faster than sh*t through a goose.

At the barn where one didn't climb through fences, Cressy strained her neck muscles being a retard in cross ties. The next day I received a phone call saying, "Cressy isn't quite right. She's eating, drinking and pooping normally. She's walking around fine, not lame, but she's not right." The lady who owned the barn couldn't put her finger on the problem, but knew there was *something* different, so she notified me (she did not know about the antics in the cross-ties the day before). I came out, and Cressy was there, happy as a clam, and completely normal, except she was holding her head about 3-4" lower than normal, because she had a sore neck.

A mineral ice rub down and two days off and she was fine. I guarantee almost no one else would have paid enough attention to notice this very subtle change. I'll put up with walking through gates for care and attention like that anytime!

What I do, I do for my horse, and thus I do for myself~me

Jul. 27, 2001, 11:31 PM
Ahhh I was at a barn years ago with a trainer like a Nazi drill seargent. Cripes, I once got *screamed* (not yelled at, SCREAMED) at for dropping a lead rope in a pile of shavings. I did not last long with that trainer... not because of her authoritative ways, but because this lady should NOT be teaching... anyway, that's a whole different story. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

-Fiero
"Champagne to my real friends and real pain to my sham friends!"

geckoUBC
Jul. 28, 2001, 01:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spot:
One fancy schmanzy show barn I was at fired the poor hapless groom for doing up the throatlatch BEFORE the noseband, as she had been told many many times in which order it was supposed to be done in ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's really weird, because in pony club we learn to do up the throatlatch first, then the noseband. ???

Aleesha

Jennasis
Jul. 28, 2001, 06:33 AM
"I feel that if you're going to try for the part, you need to look the part. It is all about the show!"

Sorry, BroncBusterTX...it is NOT all about "the show". It's supposed to be all about the horses. If your giving lessons and training kids then it should be about your students.

I too am curious. Why can't owners ride there own horses on Sundays?

AsIf
Jul. 28, 2001, 09:57 AM
I keep my horses at home and trailer to lessons. The owner of the barn where I take lessons called in January and suggested I board there for a few months over the winter so I could use the indoor. I decided that made sense and moved one horse over to her barn - $300 a month. The next Monday I showed up after work at 5:15 to ride. She told me the indoor was closed, it cost too much to turn on the lights - $35 an hour. I was furious, but since I had already paid the $300, I offered to pay an additional $17.50 to use the indoor for 1/2 hour. She refused. I could ride between 8am and 1pm, during the week; during the weekends, by making an appt. Funny thing is, she knows I work during those hours, and didn't bother to mention these rules when she asked me to board there. My horse came home and I braved the elements for the rest of the winter!

BronkBusterTX
Jul. 28, 2001, 10:13 AM
I train show horses. For me, it is all about the show. But firsthand, it is about horsemanship. If the horses are not cared for properly, they do not perform well, increase in value or make good advertisements.

Horse showing is too expensive not to be good and not to have fun.

My definition of fun in the show horse business is being competitive. Does this mean I try to win by any means possible? NO! But EVERY time I, or one of my students, step into a ring they are ready mentally, physically and in appearance.

I don't teach people just to teach them. I'm always focused towards the show ring. If this is not for you, there are stables that are geared more towards family, children and the generally less competitive rider. (This is in no way meant to be offensive towards these type of Riding Academies and barns/stables.)

And as for not allowing any riding on Sundays and barn closed on Mondays, my stable was only focused on training and showing. I took Sundays off, "my" horses were in my program, not to mention that my students were not allowed to ride unsupervised. Half the staff took alternative Sundays off and the staff was not considered proper supervision. And since most of my clients were Adults, the staff tacked and untacked the horses. (This would have made for extra work on what should have been easier day for the staff.)

Since we did alot of riding during the week, showed VERY often and my horses worked hard, I did not feel like they needed to work more than 5 days a week. I like giving my horses down time, even if it is 2 days in a row.

That some of you see this as being a control freak, I have already admitted to being such. But I do feel as if meticulous attention to my horse's, riders, rings, barns and routine all pay off in the long run, especially in a Medal Final or a Grand Prix or the Amateur Owner Hunters. Those of you who feel as if this is just too detailed, too nit picky, there are ALWAYS other barns that have different styles of management. Not to mention trainer's with not such a strict regime.

And on a final note, for me, it is ALL about the horses. I just happen to be competitive about it. And I don't think I have ever heard anyone say my horses were not happy doing their job.

Ghazzu
Jul. 28, 2001, 11:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I train show horses. For me, it is all about the show. But firsthand, it is about horsemanship. If the horses are not cared for properly, they do not perform well, increase in value or make good advertisements. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fine. That sonds great. I just fon't see the necessity of dictating what type of paddock shoes are worn and how the length of an owner's hair affects the wellbeing of their horse.

You lost me there.

Ghazzu
Jul. 28, 2001, 11:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And since most of my clients were Adults, the staff tacked and untacked the horses. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lost me here, too. Why do "Adults" need their horses tacked for them?

One would hope anyone competent to enter the showring would know how to put the tack on.

If someone *wants* to pay to have their horse tacked and ready, they're certainly welcome to, but the way you phrase it makes it sound as though you expect that this is the norm for "Adults".

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who like the regimented style you describe; me, I just get the shivers at the thought of paying someone large sums of money to treat me like a dimwitted fool, unable to either dress myself or
ride without being watched.

BronkBusterTX
Jul. 28, 2001, 01:44 PM
As well you should. But it was my way or no way. Again, I fully and quickly admit to being a control freak.

Ghazzu
Jul. 28, 2001, 05:52 PM
I'm not so much arguing as I am reeling from the apparently not so uncommon concepts of paying someone for a service and consequently turning over control of much personal freedom as well as large sums of cash.

It's a different planet than I dwell on.

Ann
Jul. 29, 2001, 10:05 AM
The way the horse is tacked up, the attention to "spit and polish" and proper dress, the set times for riding, wiping off the hose after use, etc., not to mention the attitudes of trainers towards their students during instruction---I remember thinking during dressage lessons about how my intructor was shrieking at me like a drill sergeant.

To those who stop to question all of this, at the risk of stating the obvious---I see a strong military influence pervading the english-riding sports. I think it's interesting to consider the impact the old cavalry instructors have had. To this day students of their students continue to carry on the old ways.

Some people react well to the military style of regimented training, and others do not. I find myself resenting it because I consider my spare time to be an opportunity for much-needed fun and relaxation. I'm too lazy to be willing to pay a lot of money for/use my free time to engage in any more regimentation than is already required within a typical workplace.

But there's no question a great deal can be accomplished with that kind of discipline. Countries have been conquered on the strength of it. In the show ring its success is manifested in the form of trophies and ribbons. Although I do think there are other ways to achieve similar results.

I'm not sure much can be gained by making value judgements as to which way is "better." Different strokes for different folks. We can always vote with our feet. Vive la difference?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Ann on Jul. 29, 2001 at 02:52 PM.]

Flash44
Jul. 29, 2001, 11:08 AM
I think you've put the cart before the horse - for most people, the point of riding and showing transcends the color of the ribbons (or lack thereof in my case) at the end of the day.

I love horses. I think they are the most beautiful, magnificent, noble animals on the face of the earth. I am proud and honored to share my life with them, and I strive daily to better understand and communicate with them. I also like to compete, and show a hunter because that seems to be what my horse does best. I could have just as easily ended up in an eventing barn, or dressage barn. I hope to still be riding and showing 30 years from now, and wouldn't hesitate to try eventing or dressage should that horse come my way. But I hope to be a heck of a better rider and horseperson in 30 years, no matter what shows I went to or ribbons I won.

I go to shows because I like to compete, and I think my horse and I are learning and improving, and I like to spend a beautiful summer day outside with friends doing something we all enjoy. I bring my son with me, he has "horse show" friends, and my husband occasionally comes to watch.

It's not about what is or is not at the end of the road, my friend, it's about how much you enjoy the journey.

grizzley
Jul. 29, 2001, 05:12 PM
I have been there and seen it all, but at one barn in Maryland, Clay Hill, the owner is just about as anal as they come. Although the stalls are not that ostentatious in looks or design, care of the horses is phenomenal, but I can never keep up with the rules for they seem to change all the time.
Sometimes the horses are supposed to have hoof dressing on before hosing, depending on the blacksmith's whim (he being the ultimate GOD)and sometimes not. Only the barn fly spray and shampoo can be used because of suspicious allergies and even the area where you walk your horse from his stall is supposed to be cleaned up if your horse leaves a deposit.. How many times can a horse poop from his stall to the ring? The ring is cleaned every day from poop, the crossties are swept up and every area around the barn is raked and polished and every wheel barrow and pitchfork has to be hung up just so.
Tack room with lockers is supposed to be kept swept and bridles and saddles put away correctly and saddle pads and cashels are washed (probably until they are thread bare) all the time.
If you leave out boots or lead shanks or tack, it is confiscated and you have to get it back by asking which means, SHE knows you left it out! When you have to ask, did you see a helmet, size 7 in the crossties, she gets the smug look and says really, you left it out?!? I would rather die than leave out anything. If it is a piece of barn owned equipment, you have to work off 2 demerits cleaning stalls. If she is cold, horses can't be hosed off and if she is hot, even if they are not sweaty, they need the full hose job!
I think barn owners feel like they have to protect their horses, at least I know this one does. She would hurt you if you didn't take car4e of one of her horses correctly! One time I heard her tell one of the kids that had put a horse back before walking time was up, that he could drink too much water and then die! That was a little bit strong I think, but I guess they will always remember! and not do it again.
Since the horses are all exceptionally plump and happy, perform well and do their job when asked, I guess maybe it is not too bad!

wileycoyote
Jul. 29, 2001, 05:17 PM
I give up, Grizzley. Who are you and how do you know so much about my barn?
In my defense, when the ground is dry, the farrier says paint the feet before putting any water on and when it is wet, he would kill me if the horses had hoof stuff on their feet because they are already to soft!
My grandmother taught me it doesn't cost anything extra to be neat and clean!

lilblackhorse
Jul. 29, 2001, 09:28 PM
REading thru this whole thread, I have to admit I am probably more on the anal side than the sloppy side-just because the rest of my life is such a mess and unorganized. The barn I board at now has very few rules, and that is fine.
However, I used to groom for a top event rider many years ago before she married another top event rider /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and she ran a pretty tight ship:
1. (and this STILL cracks me up)-we had to square off the manure pile and stack it in a perfect, ever taller, square.

The rest was all pretty benign stuff-leather halters hung kind of upside down with the leather lead coiled up in the crown piece of the halter.

We raked the aisles in a lovely herringbone pattern-I thought that was lame at the time, but it really makes sense-it keeps all the gravel or whatever from being raked bare in one spot, and it looks spiffy too /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We cleaned tack daily-being a good Pony Clubber, I did that already.....
Other than that, the rules were just for the sake of the horse's safety and to make the barn look decent. I have to say that if I had my own barn, or ran a boarding establishment, I would probably be a pain in the butt /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .....however, dictating clothing choices, and karping because a noseband was done up in the wrong order (what the hell is THAT about?????)....that's just plain goofy!

You can't legislate common sense-some of these rules go beyond that, eh?LOLOL

Flash44
Jul. 30, 2001, 04:38 AM
I would like to be able to clean tack etc every day, but who really has time?

SoEasy
Jul. 30, 2001, 06:52 AM
I think square manure piles are a "top event rider" thang! I was farm secretary for one many moons ago, and the working students had to do the same thing there .... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Lord Helpus
Jul. 30, 2001, 07:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
I would like to be able to clean tack etc every day, but who really has time?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me, that is like saying: I would like to pick out my horse's feet every day, but who has the time?" Doing tack is a part of riding, just as grooming your horse and caring for him is. Once you are in the habit, it is no big deal because tack that is wiped off and lightly soaped every time it is used takes minimal effort to clean.

And, in my own little barn, all the bridles MUST be hung up the same way (noseband circled 2x around head stall and throat latch figure - eighted in front). It just looks so nice and tidy...

My barn is cinder block and not fancy. But if an unexpected visitor ever drops by, I want to be proud of it.

Flash44
Jul. 30, 2001, 08:34 AM
No, really, who has the time? Drop child off at preschool at 12:35, drive 30 minutes to barn, groom, tack, ride, cool out and be back at preschool at 2:50. I need a groom, any volunteers? I can't pay you, but you'd have my unending gratitude.

Work 40+ hours a week, have a 30 minute commute to the barn, run the household, kids' activities, try to make a decent meal a few times a week, etc. Sometimes I don't even get a shower, and I'm supposed to clean tack every time I ride?

Pocket Pony
Jul. 30, 2001, 09:44 AM
"That some of you see this as being a control freak, I have already admitted to being such. But I do feel as if meticulous attention to my horse's, riders, rings, barns and routine all pay off in the long run, especially in a Medal Final or a Grand Prix or the Amateur Owner Hunters. Those of you who feel as if this is just too detailed, too nit picky, there are ALWAYS other barns that have different styles of management. Not to mention trainer's with not such a strict regime."

-----------------------------------------------
BronkBuster TX wrote the above statement. I agree that there are programs like his that definitely work for clients who are serious about competing. I know that the really competitive clients at my previous barn were the ones who are always in the top 5 in their division. The "program" is strict, regimented, and detailed - but it works. I won't argue that point.

The barn that I write of is an excellent barn - they do provide the best care and supervision of the horses. . .but as someone who wants to be actively involved in my horse's care and well-being, that just wasn't the program for me anymore. The amateurs in that program arrive for their lessons and their horses are already tacked up - they ride and when they're done, the horses are taken away to be cleaned and cooled out. The riders do have to clean their own tack, though. Rarely, if ever, on Sundays did I see one of theses ladies coming out to spend time with her horse - either to just hang out or to feed it lunch or take it out to graze. The horses received farrier care, chiropractic care, veterinary care all without the supervision and attention of the owner - that is what the trainer is there for. The trainer had picked the vet/chiro/farrier whom she thought was "the best" - no others were allowed to work on the horses.

Again, as someone who wants to be actively involved in my horse's life, I decided that I just couldn't go on like that anymore. I want to be at the vet appointments and shoeing appointments and chiro appointments and not feel like I'm out of place or going behind someone's back for being there. I want to design my own feeding program for my horse. I want to decide what supplements he should receive. I want to be able to say to the groom "don't brush my horse's tail" (but god forbid he leave his stall with a speck of shavings in it). I want to say when he should or should not have his blanket on....EVERYTHING in that barn is controlled by the trainers and, in my opinion, is geared toward the amateur who doesn't want to be involved.

I am not that competitive with my horse - I don't have the budget for it. The ladies of whom I write have the money, they can finance the entire show season without batting an eye. Those women are the type of clients that the above mentioned trainers wants. If the trainers want to be competitive at the top levels, they have to have the clients who can finance it. If the clients want to be competitive at the top levels, they have to subscribe to the trainer's program. It works both ways, and it does work for those who want that type of program.

I must say that the barn I just left has the most beautiful presentation at the shows. Nothing is out of place - everything is immaculate, and while I was with them I was proud of that. Also, the show barns who are meticulous like that get "top billing" at the shows - they get the best stalls that are front and center in the best locations.

Sorry for making this so wordy - just sharing my story. And while BronkBusterTX's type of program is not for me, I will agree with him that it works.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!"

PONYPULR
Jul. 30, 2001, 10:30 AM
Those people who do not get invloved in the hands-on care of their horses do not have the ultimate relationship with their horse. I do everything for my 6 horses myself. When it comes time to ride and get the most from them in the show ring, I am at an advantage, because I KNOW my horses. In-side-out, I know their every move, because I handle them every day, doing everything with them.

Having grooms IS a good thing, but getting involved yourself is a GREAT thing.

"Nothing ruins a neighborhood, like neighbors." L. Greening

BronkBusterTX
Jul. 30, 2001, 10:37 AM
Very well written and thought out. Want to be my Public Relations Advisor?

pt
Jul. 30, 2001, 02:28 PM
Don't know if it's anal, but I (briefly)had my horses in a bizarre training barn. The owner went ballistic if everything was not kept exactly the way she wanted it BUT
*her horses were kept in the barn and turned out on grass; training horses lived in mud lots - over their pasterns when it rained.
*the barn was only open for training or lessons from 10-5. You could ride after 5PM unsupervised, and not at all on Sundays. Guess when most working adults can ride?
*it was a "training" barn - she announced that she would NOT accompany students to shows, because no-one "was good enough to show." This included walk-trot classes on the local dirt circuit.
*if you scheduled an appointment and showed up on time, you were quite likely to find a note stuck on the door announcing that she had decided to run an errand and would be back soon. How soon? Very soon. Not.
*if you were in the middle of a scheduled appointment and someone more interesting (male or possible new client) came in unscheduled, your appointment ceased while the intruder was taken care of. Then, your appointment time had expired.
And so it went.

Didn't stay long - I know being a trainer is a tough job, but it's the clients paying the bills. Sometimes that seems to get overlooked.

Chef Jade
Jul. 30, 2001, 04:30 PM
This is the only business where the customer is always wrong. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VWScully
Jul. 30, 2001, 04:57 PM
Well, I haven't been here much lately; busy with working a lot this Summer, but I had to post on this one! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I was at a barn while I was at University that reminds me of some of these anal rules! I worked there for 2 years and remember having to clean the 'fly poop' off the light ballasts (also in a 30 stall barn) /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Also, no lessons allowed on Sundays and leasers couldn't even come out to ride on Sundays either! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif
I used to keep my horses at home when I was in HS and I loved it, since I am a neat freak about my barn anyway /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif! I could be as anal as I wanted and it didn't bother anyone.

However, the barn where I now ride my friend's horse, closes at 8pm! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif It is very hard for me to get to the barn to ride after work, since most days I work at least til 6 or 7pm! To me, that just seems stupid for a Boarding Barn since most Boarders have 'day jobs' and go to the barn after work! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Flash44
Jul. 30, 2001, 07:07 PM
I think not allowing people to ride on a certain day is bogus. My lesson is on Friday night, so if I don't show that weekend, my horse has Saturday off. I usually ride Sunday, and maybe not Monday depending on how much work I have to do. But if Monday is a holiday, I ride. And if I have a lot of work to do, I may not get out to the barn until after 7 in the evening. Also, so many adults work and have to drive quite a ways to the barn that having an early closing time is silly. I can understand having lights out at 9 or 10, but closing at 5 is ridiculous.

pinkhorse
Jul. 30, 2001, 08:13 PM
Oh, I can't believe someone else - 2 people - posted about the manure pile. I so wanted to be the first.... It was a work of art. It should have been - I think we spent more time on it than we did on our horses. At least it was warm up there in the winter - thawed my frozen feet - that was in the days before I knew about Sorels! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Were you all in the Unionville/West Grove area? We were told it was because this particularly shaped pile (including the steps we built to get to the top) was the only one the "mushroom man" could pick up.

It's a truly amazing list. In it all I only saw 2 that had any relationship to safety (not climbing thru the fence and putting the jump cup pins in one direction [tho that one's really impossible given the fact that, except for in an event warm up area, most jumps are taken from both directions in general schooling]).

Our barn rules (I think there're 5) are "pick up after your horse and yourself; be courteous of other riders, especially beginners; don't smoke in the barn" and a couple of others. Occasionally a sign will go up like "Boarders: please take your blankets home." That one went up around July 1. Or, "If you don't claim this stuff it's going in the dumpster tomorrow" - after having been on a chair with a "please claim" sign for 2 weeks. Or, "Those riders who went to Northeast Benefit, please pay John for training." It's a pretty comfortable place. Horses and riders well cared for.

Fiction
Jul. 30, 2001, 09:13 PM
Geeze! My barn sounds like perfect compared to some of yours!

I'll just list some rules that I am sometimes just annoyed by

~ only boots, fly spray & knits/blankets are allowed on the door.

~ Nothing is allowed on top of the trunk, everything must be in the trunk

~ Sweep the isle(where your horse was) before & after you ride(although I can get away w/t only after I ride, they like me /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif)

~ Clean up your horse's mess if they leave "a present" on the driveway/circle courtyard

~ You have to get your own "crap" out of the trailer after a show. & if that same trailer is at a show when you get to the barn, OH WELL(I'm just too lazy for this)

That might be it. One of our old barn workers was sweet enough to clean our wooden trunks w/t Pledge every other day & vaccum our carpeted tack room once a week.
The cleaning tack thing after every ride would drive me nuts, I ride at least 2 every day in the summer.
We have a friendly "can I borrow...." attitude. My saddle was being re-stuffed, so I just asked, & I got to borrow someones beautifull Pessoa
There aren't that many people, & everyone is on a friendly first name joking basis. We have nicknames for each other, we are friends w/t the barn workers, & if there is a fight, my trainer takes care of it or else.
We sorta have an "open trunk" basis. If you are looking for something, you can go in the other person's trunk & borrow it as long as you return it

I think thats it. & 2morro I'm going to vaccum our trailer dressing rooms. They get all full of hay...
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

XOXO
*Kris*
~*Think Big*~*Proud Blue*~
Krista52087@hotmail.com
My Album (http://community.webshots.com/user/GDOll2005)

Nirvana
Jul. 31, 2001, 12:38 PM
I am almost 100% sure I know who said that!!!!! Hehehe...but my lips are sealed to protect the not-so innocent!!!!!!

Eglinton
Jul. 31, 2001, 01:27 PM
I agree with you about not having the time to clean tack...and frankly I'm not about to quit riding just because my tack isn't always sparkling....sorry LordHelpUs! I just do not have time, and I can't be sure because he doesn't speak, but I am almost certain my horse is ok with it. I am very busy. I keep my barn spotless, the stalls spotless...my tack is in very good repair, and it gets cleaned. Just not regularly.

Flash44
Aug. 1, 2001, 07:00 AM
Right, Egl. My horse always gets a good curry and flatted and cooled out well, anything else is icing!

Tri-mo
Aug. 1, 2001, 08:10 AM
Wow, I can't beleive that some barns would have rules as retarded as some of you have said!

My barn is covered in cobwebs, nothing matches, people have *gasp* old tack, and hoof oil does get on the floor. Nobody cares. The owner is the trainer, manager, groom, our friend, etc... The barn is as clean as we want it to be and even people who came from super spiffy barns like it here much better. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif