View Full Version : HELP, water ideas asap

Jun. 19, 2012, 11:24 PM
This has been the day from hell. Everything that could go wrong has. So, it's 9:00 pm and I notice the horses pawing at their auto waterer. Never a good sign. Go out, basically dry. Not working. Was working earlier, isn't now. I presume brat-horse had something to do with it. No idea WHY it's not working. It's dark and I'm not super auto waterer savvy. No problem right, I lug out a 100 gallon trough and start to fill it. Problem. STUPID tank tipper gelding. It's why we went to auto's in the first place, he can tip any trough you put out there. No sooner did I walk to the barn and back, it's on its side. Freaking horse is thirstier then heck and dumps all his water on the ground. Survival of the fittest wouldn't bode well for him. So WTF can I do? I tied it to a t-post to get me through morning, my luck the whole fence will be down when I wake up. Pre-autos we tried it up on blocks and various other things, he finds a way. Always, 1600 lbs wins.

Looking for effective ways to keep tank dumpers from tipping them! What have you done that works? Preferably something I can figure out in a bind and in the dark :(

Jun. 19, 2012, 11:27 PM
Putting it up on cinder blocks sometimes helps, it might get you through until you can get the waterer fixed.

Jun. 19, 2012, 11:27 PM
Can you just hang some buckets on the fence until morning?

Jun. 19, 2012, 11:28 PM
bury it?........the water tank, not the horse....

perhaps even just halfway into the ground would do it......be almost like drinking from a natural water source like a pond or stream

Jun. 19, 2012, 11:30 PM
We have larger tanks, six is the smallest.
We generally halve them with a fence across them.
I have yet to see any horse move those.
In a pinch, can you put the tank just partially in there, so he can't pull it around?

How about hanging buckets and he can go thirsty if he dumps them overnight?

Jun. 19, 2012, 11:35 PM
We have larger tanks, six is the smallest.
We generally halve them with a fence across them.
I have yet to see any horse move those.
In a pinch, can you put the tank just partially in there, so he can't pull it around?

We do something similar. In the winter, we put our tank mostly on the outside of the fence, with just a little bit on the horse side - just enough for them to drink out of. That way we can insulate most of the tank, and keep the horses from pulling the heater out and playing with it. That position works well for that purpose, and I bet it would make it quite difficult to tip over as well.

Jun. 19, 2012, 11:35 PM
Rope around the lip of the tank and secured above to a fence post? Tank halfway under fence? Horse tied up while everyone else drinks?

Jun. 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
I've got the tank filled for now. It will be tipped and empty by morning. I also filled the waterer, but it doesn't hold much. I untied from the fence because I know my luck. I could strangle him. He sticks his big lug hoof IN the auto waterers (and they are TALL) so I have no doubt this is all his fault. I'm thinking bluey's idea, with maybe a strand of electric so they can reach it to drink but he can't get close enough to play with it. Argh.

Laurie, blocks do not deter this beast. Been there. :( He has a mare and foal out with him, so I really want to make sure they have some kind of water supply.

Jun. 19, 2012, 11:42 PM
I like the ideas to put most of it outside of the pasture....I'm done for the night, I give up. But tomorrow I think I can swing that some how....

Jun. 19, 2012, 11:47 PM
Can you just take the brat horse out of there and put him somewhere else, like a roundpen or do you have a stall for him?

Jun. 20, 2012, 10:57 AM
So I ran a low piece of hot rope about 2" away from the trough. Figuring if he tries to pick his hoof up to paw at it, he'll zap himself. They can easily step up to it, and reach over into the water. They are scared to death of the hot rope and won't go near it. Oh well, I have all day today to play plumber Jane and figure out how to get the auto working. Thanks for the suggestions!

Jun. 20, 2012, 01:51 PM
2 of my auto waterers went out last week (i have 13). Couldn't figure out why. Called my engineer brother who also serves as my waterer-fix-it-man! All he did was remove the bowl and turn the "screw" under the bowl a quarter of an inch and the water kicked right on.

That white screw thing sets the balance of the bowl. It gets outta whack sometimes and you just have to adjust it back.

Hope this works!

Flagstaff Foxhunter
Jun. 21, 2012, 08:26 PM
Ya know, this thread just elicited a major *head desk* moment from me. I have four big fat bad tank pawers. Spent a fortune installing a cursed BarBarA horse drinker a couple of months ago. They immediately buggered up the paddle, pulled the interior operating cable loose, and clogged it with grit. Hate the damn thing. We watered all winter (Phoenix area, no freeze) from Brute trashcans tied to the fence.

I have boarded at farms that kept the big Rubbermaid or steel troughs split beneath a fence rail between paddocks. Well DUH! 44 years a horse owner and I'm too stupid to figure out that if you put just part of the trough in the paddock and the rest outside, they can't get two front feet in there and dump the whole thing over and they can't wreck the float valves. I have spent dozens of hours researching different waterer models and trying to design a hoof proof enclosure.

Thank you COTHers. This will just have to be attributed to Senior Blondeness.

Jun. 25, 2012, 09:32 AM
I'm just experiencing my first "tank tipper". After trying all kinds of things, we finally had to just take her out of the field and get her a single bucket hung high. PITA!

Damrock Farm
Jun. 25, 2012, 10:32 AM
Build a box to put the tank in. Bury 4X4s for the corners and put 2X6s to make the box, just big enough to drop the trough into. If you put the 2x6s on the inside of the corner posts, mr tank tipper won't be able to pull them off. The problem with burying the trough is that, number one, you can't clean them without digging them up and also, once the horses drink down a little, they can't reach the water anymore. Not like a pond where they can just wade in to where the water is.

Jun. 25, 2012, 10:37 AM
With previous border's swimming gelding, we put the big stock tank up on cinder blocks against a tree AND used a wide ratchet strap to secure the tank to the tree. That was that.