PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Round Pens Please!

ToiRider
Jun. 19, 2012, 08:47 PM
I need to buy a round pen. I have a five year old gelding who needs to be started, and I have a mare who needs a refresher course before I ride her on the trails. I live in Kentucky. I would love to hear your recommendations, thoughts, opinions, etc. on round pens. Where to buy them, who to buy them from, what guage, how many rails, how tall, powdercoated, painted, or galvanized, how big, reasonable cost, etc. I don't need one strong enough to hold a mustang (at least I don't think I do).

My horses are well handled, so this will NOT be a rodeo (at least I hope not, LOL!). I have been working with the young gelding for the last 1.5 years, but he had a major medical setback for a year with a severe neurological injury and complications (compressed spinal cord, fractured cervical vertebra, severe ataxia, facial paralysis, etc.). Before that I was completing a rehabilitation of him from being starved almost to death. He is almost recovered from the neurological issues and completely from the starvation, but I want to do A LOT of ground work, ground driving, and cart driving with him before training him for riding. I really want to give him lots of time to make sure his balance issues are completely resolved. The round pen is 90% for him, but it will be handy to have for other uses. .

I am thinking about a 60 foot pen. I had borrowed one for his rehabilitation which was much smaller. I had to return it, or I would use that for the initial ground work. I would love to hear your thoughts!! I have been looking on Craigslist, but I realized that I wouldn't know a good deal from a bad deal at this point. Thank you!

GotMyPony
Jun. 19, 2012, 08:58 PM
I like the Priefert brand - not the cheapest but very well made. And more important the panels connect in such a way that there is nothing protruding for your horse to gouge himself on or get a halter caught on. (I had a could- have-been-a-lot-worse story about the type of corrals with the J-shaped pins that go through 3 connectors - mare was grazing just outside the pen, caught her grazing muzzle on one of the hooks and took down 3 panels before she freed herself.)
The Prieferts connect with chains and everything is flush-set inside the panel rails. I have a 60' round pen and it seems like mine has 13 12-ft panels plus a 6' wide gate that you can ride through. As for where to buy in Kentucky you'd have to go to the Priefert website and find out who their retailers are.

birdsong
Jun. 19, 2012, 09:05 PM
I built my own from post laying around and bought boards for a 2 board fence. Started out to b 60'...and then my string stretched HeHe:) It was probably 75' when completed. Set out to dig a few post holes and day and ended up doing them all at once.
Mine were fairly sane horses so I didn't worry about then rodeoing in there too much...and it was more comfortable if I chose to ride.

LauraKY
Jun. 20, 2012, 10:28 AM
If you can wait about 6 months, I'll sell you mine. :) I have the panels with a gate, 60' diameter. The panels come in handy for so many other things than just a round pen. Need a small injury paddock...round pen panels. Need a quick fix for broken fence boards...round pen panel.

Simkie
Jun. 20, 2012, 12:06 PM
I really like the SOLID panels on round pens with the sloped sides. Here's one outfit that makes them:

http://www.rockingwmfg.com/page/kop/Round_Pens.html

MDBarnmaster
Jun. 20, 2012, 01:05 PM
We also manufacture round pens and have a local dealer in your area and would love the opportunity to talk to you about your needs. You can view our website here; http://www.mdbarnmaster.com/round-pens-loafing-sheds-mare-motels

Miss Motivation
Jun. 21, 2012, 02:55 AM
Go big, 60'+ is worth the few extra panels it will take.

Ours is 65' with modular panel walls that are solid 4' high, then two rails on top of that.

The entire thing is attached to railroad ties as a curbing foundation (keeps it away from metal-eating moisture and makes it much easier to dig out the rail, which will get a rut around it faster than you'd think) and has automatic sprinklers to keep down dust.

I also went back and lined the whole thing with surplus conveyor-belt belting from the bottom of the RR ties to the top of the solid wall part, about 4'6". Keeps horses from kicking holes in the sheet metal lining, keeps the sprinkler water from sitting on the metal, and also protects from tractor dings.

Even a 65' round pen is small when it comes to grooming it each morning with a tractor- the butt-end of the tractor with the drag gets flinging around back there and will sometimes kick a 'hip' of the drag out and punch a hole right through the wall! The rubber lining has been a very good addition and longevity investment in our very nice, very heavily used round pen.

shakeytails
Jun. 23, 2012, 03:29 PM
I bought a cheap bunch of corral panels from a guy in Brandenburg at least ten years ago, probably more like 13 or 14. I've used mine as a turnout more than anything else. It's just in this past year or two that the bottoms are starting to rust out from being imbedded in the ground. I'm not sure it's worth it to spend $$$ on brand name stuff.

Coyoteco
Jun. 23, 2012, 06:06 PM
I really like my Hi-Qual brand round pen. It is six feet tall, 60 foot in diameter. It has square tops and connects with rubber connectors. It is strong and heavy. I am really just very, very happy with it.

fiddleandco
Jun. 24, 2012, 08:35 AM
Go big, 60'+ is worth the few extra panels it will take.

Ours is 65' with modular panel walls that are solid 4' high, then two rails on top of that.

The entire thing is attached to railroad ties as a curbing foundation (keeps it away from metal-eating moisture and makes it much easier to dig out the rail, which will get a rut around it faster than you'd think) and has automatic sprinklers to keep down dust.

I also went back and lined the whole thing with surplus conveyor-belt belting from the bottom of the RR ties to the top of the solid wall part, about 4'6". Keeps horses from kicking holes in the sheet metal lining, keeps the sprinkler water from sitting on the metal, and also protects from tractor dings.

Even a 65' round pen is small when it comes to grooming it each morning with a tractor- the butt-end of the tractor with the drag gets flinging around back there and will sometimes kick a 'hip' of the drag out and punch a hole right through the wall! The rubber lining has been a very good addition and longevity investment in our very nice, very heavily used round pen.

Would love to see photos of your roundpen.

jbonifas
Jun. 25, 2012, 12:03 PM
I've had my Priefert round pen for 12 years and no issue with the bottoms rusting out. My panels are the 12'-0 brown ones. I think that is their mid weight version.