PDA

View Full Version : Storing winter blankets

myalter1
Jun. 19, 2012, 12:31 PM
How do you all store your winter blankets so as to avoid mice and rodents living in them?

Mine are usually piled up in my horse trailer tack room (as I do not own my own farm). However, I thought about storing them in some rubbermaid tubs in my woodshed. Do you think the mice will eat through the plastic? I thought about putting mothballs around the outside of the bins to discourage them mice from even going near them.

Any opinions?

Donkaloosa
Jun. 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
Store them in big honking plastic trashcans with tight lids. You can put some mothballs in them, or just roll the cans into a more mouse-free area like a basement or garage. A big trash can will hold more blankets than just a Rubbermaid tub.

ArabDiva
Jun. 19, 2012, 01:11 PM
Last winter I stored some of my own clothes in my tack room, in a plastic rubbermaid tub. I was worried about mice, but they remained undisturbed. The mice made a nest in a cardboard box instead. (And my cats seem to be good-for-nothing.) I don't know if that means the plastic box was safe, or the mice didn't feel like bothering to get in to the plastic boxes.

I doubt mice can chew through plastic -- more worried about the opening between the lid and the box. I've been told mice can squeeze through openings as small as 1/4 inch.

For storing things during the summertime, I don't worry about mice as much. THey are much happier out in the fields than living in your stuff. I store my winter blankets in feed sacks in my tack room (not very rodent proof) and have never had problems with mice in them.

Simkie
Jun. 19, 2012, 01:15 PM
Mice can absolutely chew through plastic, but are unlikely to do so unless there's food involved, or they just have no other safe places to have their babies. A plastic tub in your trailer is probably safe, unless you store your sunflower seeds in with your blankets ;)

I toss my blankets up in the gooseneck of my trailer in the plastic bags they come back from the cleaner in. Works for me.

mht
Jun. 19, 2012, 01:19 PM
I put mine in those 'space bags', and put them on a high up shelf.

Woodsperson
Jun. 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
I wrap each blanket in the giant plastic wrap, the store the blankets in plastic trunks. I've never had any problems.

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 19, 2012, 03:29 PM
LOL...mice chew through plastic like it's cheese! Ask me how I know!

Timely thread as I'm trying to figure out how to store mine this summer as well. Currently they are just hanging on the stall door fronts like they did in the winter when they weren't being worn. I think they will be fine there.

myalter1
Jun. 19, 2012, 04:25 PM
I want them OUT of my horse trailer.. that's the problem. When I went to use the trailer the other day, I think i had to move 12 bags of blankets (at least).. pony blankets, horse blankets, a tub of horse show saddle pads and bakers. It was a lot to move out and i don't want to move it back in! I have a shed on my property and a wood shed (like a pavilion) that has storage up top. I was thinking of moving them in there. I don't have space in my basement and the garage is my husband's domain. Maybe I will try it. I hate the smell of mothballs.. what about cedar balls? Oddly enough, I have old baby clothes stored in rubber maid tubs and the last time I checked no mice had gotten in.

Simkie
Jun. 19, 2012, 04:36 PM
Mice are not fond of mint, and unlike mothballs, there's no toxic effect there. You can use some peppermint extract on cotton balls in your tubs as extra protection.

kasjordan
Jun. 19, 2012, 04:49 PM
Another vote for the Rubbermaid tubs. I've never had mice get in them, they work for me!

myalter1
Jun. 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
I have used mint in the house (when the mice come in during the season change) and it does work.. but you have to be on top of it because once the cotton ball dries up you have put more peppermint oil out. OK, i;m going to try the rubbermaids. wish me luck.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
I doubt mice can chew through plastic -- more worried about the opening between the lid and the box. I've been told mice can squeeze through openings as mall as 1/4 inch.

You got lucky.
Mice can & will chew through plastic.
It may take them a while.
I stored grain in 30gal heavy-duty plastic trash cans with locking lids in my barn for 6 years before I had to replace them with metal.
Bottoms of the cans were nibbled out and in one I had left the grain bag in, that was converted to a nest.

OP:
I store my winter blankets in my basement on shelves.
(and I admit I just last week washed them and put them away for the season :o)

billie
Jun. 20, 2012, 04:54 PM
I wash mine in the early a.m. and let them dry in the sun all day long - turning them several times to make sure they're totally dry and aired out.

I pack them into clear plastic bins and layer them with lavender buds. Store them up on a high shelf in the tack/feed room. The lids get dusty but never had a problem with the blankets on the inside at all.

That first cold night when I take them out they smell wonderful!