PDA

View Full Version : persistant Raccoons!!!

pinkpony321
Jun. 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
I've been invaded! My grain is locked up, thankfully, but my supplements are on a nearby picnic table. The last few nights, every supplement bucked has been thrown on the floor, overturned, and/or opened- the suckers even got to some corn oil. There is no more room in my grain locker for the supps, so this is really frustrating- it's resulted in lots of spillage/waste! One 5 pound bucked (which was closed securely, and covered by another large bucket so you couldn't see it, with the heavy corn oil ON TOP) was opened and violated- and i'm not sure if i should even continue feeding that stuff, since it's been played in. I really don't want to throw away a brand new huge bucket of FatCat though. Ugh.

I know they're raccoons because i can see their wee paw (hand?) prints. Plus, whatever animal it is would have to be exceptionally clever to get in to sealed buckets. I have 3 barn cats who OBVIOUSLY have been sleeping on the job and not warning away the varmits. They come late/night early morning, so waiting up for them so that I can shoot them (so sad, don't want to anyway) or scare them isn't an option. Can I trap them? If i drive them miles away, will they come back? I'm working on an alternate location for the supplements, but in the mean time, something has to give. don't like the idea of them in the barn, anyway. There is no trash in the barn and the cat food goes away at night.

Can I keep feeding that FatCat? my gut says no, (ESPM fears!) but my wallet says "please?"

Thanks in advance!

SmartAlex
Jun. 19, 2012, 12:12 PM
You can trap them, but they're smart, so good luck. Yes, they may come back, and it may also be against the law in your area to relocate them (not that anyone in an all out war against racoons gives a hoots about such laws but just so you know)

We've been battling them for over a month. We've taken steps to reduce and eliminate, but the last one is evading our best efforts. I've resorted to placing rat traps in all my garden planters. I am eagerly awaiting waking up in the middle of the night to a "Ki-yi-yi" when he/she gets his/her stinkin' little fingers snapped for rooting around in my things. :mad:

2DogsFarm
Jun. 21, 2012, 05:06 PM
Don't blame the barncats :no:
Place I boarded lost a large (15#+) tomcat to a raccoon - found drowned in the pond.
They are nasty and your cats are smart to stay out of sight if they get in the barn.

See if your local Freecycle has an old chest freezer you can store feed & supplements in. And then padlock it shut!
Raccoons are masters at getting into just about anything.

Contact your local AC and ask if they will pick up any you livetrap.
If not, and you don't shoot, do you have a gunwise friend who will dispatch any you trap?
SSS is the best way to handle them once they decide your barn is a buffet.

Sorry WildRightToLifers, but not only are raccoons not at all nice, they vector rabies.

ReSomething
Jun. 21, 2012, 05:38 PM
We keep the feeds locked up in the shop and it's about as secure as the house so no rackety coon issues there, but they are a heck of a nuisance in the trashcans up and down the road and if I'm stupid enough to leave food wrappers in the car and the window down it's greasy pawprints everywhere.
Toss the supplement. I would, or at least if it's a granulated thing I'd throw out the top three to six inches if I was absolutely positively sure they hadn't urinated in it.
I'd move that stuff into the house until you get a dead chest freezer, or even actually a dead fridge with a padlock might work out for bucket type stuff.
Sorry. I remember camping once and the little beasts just ransacked our outdoor kitchen. If it wasn't gone altogether it had holes in it or was strewn about the campsite. I think the only thing that survived was the instant coffee in the glass screw top jar.

jherold
Jun. 21, 2012, 05:42 PM
A better way to lock up the supplements will work to prevent future racoons, but the current ones think your barn is a source of food and they will not give up the search and can do serious damage to the barn. I trap them in a live trap and shoot them with a .22. Please don't relocate. You (inadvertanly) taught them that people are a source of food. If you teach them what a trap is they will be 100 times more trouble for the next person's barn.

I don't know what it is with raccoons this year. I rarely have any go in the barn and this year I shot 4 in the last week alone. The cats did make themselves scarce for a couple of days but came back once I got the last one. (At least I hope it's the last one)!

cloudyandcallie
Jun. 21, 2012, 06:08 PM
Raccoons do not like moth balls. We used moth balls in atlanta in the city to keep coons out of garbage cans.

Raccoons also do not stay around Australian Shepherds.:lol:

Otherwise, go to a local hardware store, not ebay where prices are higher, but to a local store, and buy a midsize haveahart trap, it's about 100$ with tax, and relocate your coons.

Stahlrosen
Jun. 21, 2012, 07:16 PM
Trap & shoot. We got 6 or 7 this last year. They killed about half my flock of chickens. :mad:
I now now have a nice collection of coon skins ;)

GaitedGloryRider
Jun. 21, 2012, 07:49 PM
I'd toss the supplements. Raccoons can be carriers of EPM, not worth the risk. Treating EPM or losing a horse to it is a helluva lot worse than replacing a new bucket of Fat Cat.

Find a way to secure anything the raccoons might find edible, anything at all. Even if it's in the trunk of your car, a tack room or you have to go buy a container. This includes emptying the cat dishes for the night if you leave food out for the cats.

Don't count on the cats to run off raccoons. There may very well be cats that will, but I've never seen one. Actually on several instances, at two separate barns, with two separate groups of barn cats I've witnessed raccoons feasting on cat food right alongside the kitties. Frustrating? Heck yeah. Once I even reached down to pet our own little barn kitty that I spied out of the corner of my eye eating out of the food dish next to the grain bin and much to my chagrin, ended up petting a young raccoon. Barn kitty was a few feet away watching and waiting for her turn at the dish.

You can live trap them but if you want to release them make sure it's far, far away. One of our neighbors went that route but didn't release them far enough away. Raccoon problem persisted so he tried a little experiment. Every time he'd catch a raccoon he'd spray paint a yellow spot on it, then go release it elsewhere. Within a couple week's time his barn was overrun with raccoons (still) but now they all had yellow spots on them and were smart enough to stay out of the traps.

I hate killing any animal but I'll make an exception for raccoons. They are just too much of a nuisance.

LookmaNohands
Jun. 21, 2012, 08:30 PM
I had this problem in FL a long time ago. I ended up putting the supplements together in a plastic grain bag and suspending it from the ceiling of the stall I was using as a feed room. I put the grain in a big container and set a metal stall screen on top of it. That kept the critters out!!:yes:

Every once in a while I have problems where I am now. So I keep the expensive supplements in the feed bin which the raccoons cannot open.:D

Blue Aurora
Jun. 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
I have lost one cat and another lost a leg to raccoons. I do not have a gun so my solution is drowning. I fill a large tub with water and submerge the trap. I do my best to keep them out of the barn but if one keeps getting in I have to protect my cats and property.

It is recommended that if you want relocate a raccoon you need to take it 10 miles away.

GaitedGloryRider
Jun. 21, 2012, 08:47 PM
I have lost one cat and another lost a leg to raccoons. I do not have a gun so my solution is drowning. I fill a large tub with water and submerge the trap. I do my best to keep them out of the barn but if one keeps getting in I have to protect my cats and property.

It is recommended that if you want relocate a raccoon you need to take it 10 miles away.

Wow, that's a little harsh. I dunno if I'd go so far as drowning. A clean shot to the head yeah but drowning? If that was my only option I'd relocate them. I'm too much of a softie to put an animal down like that, even one I loathe as much as a raccoon.

BTW- you can pick up a .22 long rifle for pretty cheap if you hunt around and get one used. Perfectly suitable for dispatching a raccoon and much more humane than drowning.

AliCat518
Jun. 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
Trap and shoot. Canned wet cat food works great. I also know of farms that drown them in the trap. Harsh, and I couldn't do it, but it's better than them ruining supplements and killing cats.!

Hilary
Jun. 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
We have had a few 'coon infestations and have found that shooting one member of the family sends the message to the rest to move on.

The day they came in the cat door (HOUSE) and started snacking on the indoor cat dish was the last straw.

LauraKY
Jun. 22, 2012, 09:07 AM
I just keep everything locked up. We had a couple in the tack room and they trashed it. So, cat has no access to tack room at night...all the food and supplements are kept in there. Once everything was locked up, we stopped having trouble.

pinkpony321
Jun. 22, 2012, 10:04 AM
I've been locking EVERYTHING edible up for the past few nights and the sucker keeps coming back- i know this because he's apparently angry about the lack of noms and throws ANYTHING not bolted down across the barn. Hopefully he gets the message soon- if not, i guess I'll pull out my traps and have my hubby 'dispose' of the offender.
My cat comment was sarcastic- i know my guys aren't doing much killing. they're miserable mousers, so i doubt they'd want ANYTHING to do with a raccoon!

crosscreeksh
Jun. 24, 2012, 10:31 PM
What everyone else said...We trapped and shot 9 so far this year. They are NOT the cute critters depicted in cartoons!! They have a serious attitude and a worse bite. They will go in a trap for dry cat food, horse feed pellets and M&M's (I'm told). As a deterrent until you get them caught...leave a low watt light burning or a radio playing. Either/both will keep them away. Set the baited trap elsewhere. Another thing I did...after stacking 60 bags of yummy horse feed in the barn. I took the big (King sized) quilt out of my Great Pyrennes dog house (full of hair and smelly scent) and covered the stacks of feed with it. They never touched that feed!! Guess they thought the dog was in there asleep!! And for what it's worth...my big bad Great Pyr will NOT engage a coon!! They have claws and teeth like a pyranna!!! Good Luck!!

rmh_rider
Jun. 25, 2012, 07:46 AM
I have caught only two. I am jealous! Both were tossed over the fence to the buzzards who ate well.

My coons were HUGE!

Trap and shoot them. You do not want EPM with them.

My husband and I watched a PBS show on the coons over in Japan, and ones here in the cities. There was a cartoon over there about a coon, so the Japanese people wanted coons for pets. Lots were shipped from the USA. Then they found out they were not as good of a pet as they thought, and the cartoon ended and the coon was set free into the wild. So the coon owners did the same, and now there is a horrible explosion of them, and they are tearing everything up over there literally. They trap and euth immediately. Also the show had city dwelling coons too. Destructive.

Trapping is the only way to get rid of them. If you let them out of the trap aka relocate them, PLEASE do not relocate them to my property. You will be just moving your problem to make problems for somebody else.

spaceagevalkyrie
Jun. 25, 2012, 09:00 AM
Trapping is the only way to get rid of them. If you let them out of the trap aka relocate them, PLEASE do not relocate them to my property. You will be just moving your problem to make problems for somebody else.

YES, this! We've trapped and shot over 40 at my barn in the last year alone. They are tearing up the barn, the shed, decimated an entire flock of chickens over 2 nights, and make little raccoons right and left. We have no idea where on earth they are all coming from, because in the past 15 years we have never had a problem with them at all, just all of a sudden this year? We figure someone has to be trap/releasing them in the area. Please do not relocate your raccoons to be someone else's problem.

crosscreeksh
Jun. 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
Big?? Darn right!! We got two females in one night that weighed over 20 pounds...thanks to a generous diet of OUR dog/cat/horse feed!! We caught them in two separate cages. The second one tore the heck out of the area around the trap as well as the boards of the barn walls - not even close to the trap....I'd say they were seriously PO"d!!!

SmartAlex
Jun. 25, 2012, 04:37 PM
I've resorted to placing rat traps in all my garden planters. I am eagerly awaiting waking up in the middle of the night to a "Ki-yi-yi" when he/she gets his/her stinkin' little fingers snapped for rooting around in my things. :mad:

Well, I have not had the satisfaction of hearing the coon catch his fingers in a rat trap, but ever since the night he set one off, he has stayed out of my pots (knock on wood). Apparently I at least suprised him. :D

pj
Jun. 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
. I've resorted to placing rat traps in all my garden planters. I am eagerly awaiting waking up in the middle of the night to a "Ki-yi-yi" when he/she gets his/her stinkin' little fingers snapped for rooting around in my things. :mad:

And when you catch one in a trap by his/her stinkin little fingers then what?

nasalberry
Jun. 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
Please do NOT "trap and relocate!!"

Trap and dispose of.
It make me crazy when short-sighted people advise to relocate - this is as bad (worse, imo) as people who "drop off" their unwanted pups and kittens on the nearest farm!

I do NOT want your goddam 'coon problem!! Nor do my neighbors.
And ~ YES, they *will* find their way to the nearest human source of food!
Either trap & shoot, or shut up and put up with them. Please don't palm your obnoxious (and NOW trap-wise) vermin off on to others.

MafiaPrincess
Jun. 25, 2012, 06:01 PM
It's illegal here to kill or relocate coons. That said, I would dispatch them anyhow. They get into everything, and even relocated they'll come back to where they deem home even many many kilometers away. They ripped a 2 foot by 4 foot hole in my neighbour's roof and had babies under their bathtub... they patched the roof with tin, and the coons did it again. They'll have a nightmare to clean the scat out when they want to move.

spaceagevalkyrie
Jun. 25, 2012, 06:28 PM
Please don't palm your obnoxious (and NOW trap-wise) vermin off on to others.

We have a trap-wise one right now ripping the hell out of the floor in the loft above the feed room that we've been trying to trap for a month. Thank you to the soft hearted moron* that decided to take it for a ride in the country, we really appreciate all the damage you inadvertently caused when you foisted your problem upon us.

*this coming from a soft hearted moron, though raccoons will never again have my sympathy after this year :eek:

andylover
Jun. 25, 2012, 06:35 PM
I lost a dog a few years back due to coonhound paralysis..

threedogpack
Jun. 25, 2012, 07:00 PM
It's illegal here to kill or relocate coons.

I'd kill them too, and not admit to doing it. If I got a citation, I'd just pay it and be done. But I'd never admit to killing them, I'd just do it and hope I didn't get caught.

nasalberry
Jun. 25, 2012, 11:10 PM
We have a trap-wise one right now ripping the hell out of the floor in the loft above the feed room that we've been trying to trap for a month. Thank you to the soft hearted moron* that decided to take it for a ride in the country, we really appreciate all the damage you inadvertently caused when you foisted your problem upon us.

*this coming from a soft hearted moron, though raccoons will never again have my sympathy after this year :eek:
^^THIS!!^^

SmartAlex
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:15 AM
And when you catch one in a trap by his/her stinkin little fingers then what?

Then he either flings it off right then and there (which is what I think happened) or he runs off into the woods to figure it out, and I have to replace my husband's $2 trap.

SmartAlex
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:17 AM
I'd kill them too, and not admit to doing it. If I got a citation, I'd just pay it and be done. But I'd never admit to killing them, I'd just do it and hope I didn't get caught.

^^Yup^^
I know very few people who would report it, and since we know from experience that it takes serious persitance to
A. get an Encon officer on the phone
B. get him to give a $#!t
we don't really worry about it that much.

Rabtfarm
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:28 AM
Raccoons got into our neighbor's summer house one winter. They trashed the house and of course had babies which returned every year for 3-5 years after. They crawled up the cornerboards of the house and chewed their way in through the gable end vents. The owner put wire mesh over his vents and they still muscled their way in. I would not hesitate to put them down.

equine08
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:33 AM
Raccoons do not like moth balls. We used moth balls in atlanta in the city to keep coons out of garbage cans.

Raccoons also do not stay around Australian Shepherds.:lol:

Otherwise, go to a local hardware store, not ebay where prices are higher, but to a local store, and buy a midsize haveahart trap, it's about 100$ with tax, and relocate your coons.

Mothballs are toxic to cats which will play and chew on them.

However, if you don't have animals to be concerned about they are extremely useful at discouraging skunks and other burrowing animals. Toys the mothballs into exposed ends of the tunnel, soak them with ammonia and cover with tamped down dirt. The combo of ammonia and mothballs creates a gas in an enclosed area which prevents the hemoglobin in blood from releasing oxygen. Works well for skunks as well as a muskrat which took up residence ny chewing away the sidewall in a shed adjacent to a pond. After a week of destruction and all out encouragement to move on somewhere else, we barricaded him in there with the gas. Left him whimpering in there for a while in his discomfort before giving him one last chance. He took it and must have spread the word because we never had another animal take up residence in there.

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
I am also throwing a vote out there for an old chest freezer for your horse food-stuffs.

I have a small one, but I would get a large one, so there is extra room in there for the supplement stuff. You can add a padlock if they figure out how to open the lid (which I'm sure they will!)

D Taylor
Jun. 27, 2012, 12:50 PM
I've been invaded! My grain is locked up, thankfully, but my supplements are on a nearby picnic table. The last few nights, every supplement bucked has been thrown on the floor, overturned, and/or opened- the suckers even got to some corn oil. There is no more room in my grain locker for the supps, so this is really frustrating- it's resulted in lots of spillage/waste! One 5 pound bucked (which was closed securely, and covered by another large bucket so you couldn't see it, with the heavy corn oil ON TOP) was opened and violated- and i'm not sure if i should even continue feeding that stuff, since it's been played in. I really don't want to throw away a brand new huge bucket of FatCat though. Ugh.

I know they're raccoons because i can see their wee paw (hand?) prints. Plus, whatever animal it is would have to be exceptionally clever to get in to sealed buckets. I have 3 barn cats who OBVIOUSLY have been sleeping on the job and not warning away the varmits. They come late/night early morning, so waiting up for them so that I can shoot them (so sad, don't want to anyway) or scare them isn't an option. Can I trap them? If i drive them miles away, will they come back? I'm working on an alternate location for the supplements, but in the mean time, something has to give. don't like the idea of them in the barn, anyway. There is no trash in the barn and the cat food goes away at night.

Can I keep feeding that FatCat? my gut says no, (ESPM fears!) but my wallet says "please?"

Thanks in advance!

You 1st need to look at your state (or locations) .gov site and decide how you can legally deal with them. States differ. Here is my states link just as an example...

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2351.htm

Never met a cat that was a worthy opponent for even a medium sized coon. Tho the coons here are smart enough to avoid my dogs (in a invisible dog fencing system). So when we get a coon hanging around the barn I walk Mr I Can Hold a Gallon of Pea and Tinkle on Everything around the barn and let him do his biz. That and a barn light or 2 left on seems to stir things up a bit. They stay away then.

But it is droughty this year. I have seen (also heard others saying they too) afew coons getting bolder in their search for something to eat. Taking chances they normally would not and approaching the dogs perimeter even before it is dark. Fall and winter will always bring in the hungry masses too.

jherold
Jun. 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the link! It explains why the County Sherriff waved at me as I was waiting to cross the road with a dead raccoon in my trap! (I dump them accross the road. I figure it's no worse than road kill). I was was told it was legal for a land owner to take nuisance raccoons out of season but it's nice to see it in writing.

Aggie4Bar
Jun. 28, 2012, 05:38 PM
I have caught only two. I am jealous! Both were tossed over the fence to the buzzards who ate well.
My coons were HUGE!

Trap and shoot them. You do not want EPM with them.
My bold.

Coons are an intermediate vector for EPM. Just like skunks or cats. A possom has to eat the infected to coon to shed EPM.

If you're going to shoot a raccoon, bury it. If it is carrying EPM, leaving it out to be scavenged is the last thing you'd want to do with the carcass.

KarrotKreek
Jun. 29, 2012, 03:23 AM
They will keep coming back and they train the youngsters to come... Once they start it never ends till you get rid of them! Ask me how I know... Raccoons have done over $2,800 worth of damage at my place in just 2 months!!! We've never had a raccoon before this in over 6 yrs.

They progressed from raiding feed storage to killing and attacking other livestock/animals. It's personal now... our own version of the Hatfields and McCoys.

I've started trapping them. Live traps, using ocean fish soft cat food. It's irresistible to them. I'll admit we have progressed to getting rid of the raccoons. It's just easier when they are in the trap. Trap and release, even if we drove miles away, didn't work. They are like homing pigeons.

spaceagevalkyrie
Jun. 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
They will keep coming back and they train the youngsters to come... Once they start it never ends till you get rid of them! Ask me how I know... Raccoons have done over $2,800 worth of damage at my place in just 2 months!!! We've never had a raccoon before this in over 6 yrs.

They progressed from raiding feed storage to killing and attacking other livestock/animals. It's personal now... our own version of the Hatfields and McCoys.

I've started trapping them. Live traps, using ocean fish soft cat food. It's irresistible to them. I'll admit we have progressed to getting rid of the raccoons. It's just easier when they are in the trap. Trap and release, even if we drove miles away, didn't work. They are like homing pigeons.

I see you are in IN, I'm in WI and also having my first year of raccoon hell. I wonder if the entire midwest has been overrun by the little bastards or if we're just lucky? :eek:

fargonefarm
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
It has to be a midwest scourge this year. I just took out my 2nd MASSIVE raccoon this morning - the first was two days ago. And that was was pretty big too. I had to graduate to the biggest traps I could find because they just plain wouldn't fit in the standard size traps - the door would come down on their backs and then they would back out - after eating a tasty treat of crunchy peanut butter :rolleyes:

I have been battling the bastards for well over a month. They were even coming over to my house and taking the bird feeders down (and they were hanging on slender metal poles) and eating all the Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

I keep everything in my barn locked up tight but it hasn't kept them from breaking into my boarders lockers and pulling out the buckets of horse treats. They even got a hold of a bag of Life Savers Peppermints and unwrapped and ate 50 peppermints.

I have had it....I feel bad about shooting them, but man - they are tearing my place up.

wendy
Jun. 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
y'all need some coonhounds.

bf1
Jun. 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
Great - now we have them too. Lived here close to 15 yrs, and never have even seen one around.

My husband got 3 in two days, and there are more. He has declared war on them.

He is pretty sure he heard laughter as he was leaving the barn yesterday after seeing that they had gotten the goodies out of the trap and it hadn't sprung....

rmh_rider
Jun. 30, 2012, 02:34 PM

I love you nasalberry! My thoughts too. Trap, shoot or shut up and enjoy your damaging wild life. Yes, do NOT dump on my property or it WILL get trapped shot and tossed for the buzzards.

If you have a trap-wise critter this is the bait. Tie a KY fried chicken leg or wing original recipe to the inside of the cage. That way the critter will have to step ON the trigger to get it, also it will have to spend some time getting the prize. You could try tying it so it is suspended. But I think I would (based on my experience) tie it to the bottom of the cage, at the back of the cage, at the edge bottom, so the critter will have to step on the plate, and spend some quality time getting his prize. Also, place the cage so there is NO access to the back of the cage or the side of the cage. That way it has to go in to get the goodies. You could put a tasty small tidbit at the cage entrance, then another small tiny tidbit on the way to the back of the cage. The critter will enjoy having to get the wing or leg out. I would use butcher string, or better yet dental floss. Yes you will have to be creative to get the leg or wing in place. Tie it like you would truss a roast quite a few loops and make sure it is secure. Due to grease and smell use some disposable gloves.

KY fried chicken will drive any animal wild! The hardest feral cats, this is the bait they use. Good luck and post some boasting pictures for us to see.

Singing the Abba song. . . . . I am the trapping Queen, old and mean, and only 17!! Well ok I am not 17 but I am old and mean. Especially to those who can carry EPM, RABIES, Hantra virus, and other not so nice disease. Also I want my family, dogs, horses, my native birds to be safe from them.

bf1
Jul. 2, 2012, 07:07 AM
We got another adult in the barn. But the interesting thing is my son, who lives in town got 3 from under their cars this am. His wife woke him up - she was heading out to work - because they were hissing at her, and she was afraid to get into the car.

In town, but he shot them anyway. Bold, bold coons.

What is up with them this year???

Dance_To_Oblivion
Jul. 2, 2012, 10:45 AM
My husband has shot one in the ban thus far (moving raccoon up high in loft and he still got a head shot :D ) and last night I saw two juveniles scoping out my chicken coop at dusk. So planning a trapping/shooting adventure this evening. Hate raccoons and anyone ignorant enough to relocate them!

SmartAlex
Jul. 2, 2012, 12:44 PM
And in today's News: Farm Stores Promote Poisoning Racoons (http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20120702/NEWS01/307020018)

equine08
Jul. 4, 2012, 02:48 PM
Have had coon problems at home in a subdivision and in the stables.

Never saw a coon at home only evidence they were fishing in my koi pond. They would catch and consume one of the largest 10 yr old fish each day leaving the head at the side of the pond. It is illegal here to trap, kill, or even relocate coons here because they are potential rabies carriers. We broke down and called a wildlife service. Even though we thought we had a single coon, they insisted on setting 3 traps and said they would be back in am to check them. To our great surprise, in 3 days we had caught 13 raccoons in those 3 traps. The original cost estimate was $75 per coon with no charge for extra traps. After they caught 13, they were wiling to renegotiate to $75/day for setting and removal of the catch as a way to promote good will and recommendations to neighbors. That came to $17 per coon which was so well worth it compared to property damage, and the time involved in capture one at a time, disposal issues, etc. The entire problem was eliminated in just a couple of days and all were euthanized off site via carbon monoxide.

bf1
Jul. 4, 2012, 05:06 PM
Wow - amazing to get 13 in a couple of days.

Our traps have been empty for a few days but my son thinks something is still in the barn. The cats refuse to talk about it........

SmartAlex
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:16 AM
We've trapped and shot over 40 at my barn in the last year alone.

This keeps running through my head. I'm up to 7 coons in the past week and I am so tired of getting up every morning to deal with coons and clean up pissed off coon shit.

I told my husband I feel like the Men in Black Containment Crew. Where do they keep coming from?!? Obviously I have the best bait in town.

(no it's not the same one over and over. I guarantee you that.)

rmh_rider
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:02 PM
This keeps running through my head. I'm up to 7 coons in the past week and I am so tired of getting up every morning to deal with coons and clean up pissed off coon shit.

I told my husband I feel like the Men in Black Containment Crew. Where do they keep coming from?!? Obviously I have the best bait in town.

(no it's not the same one over and over. I guarantee you that.)

Ok, Smarty, what is your bait? I am wicked jealous, but huge smile on my face for you. You go girl! But, very big huge congrats for you though. You have to do what you have to do. And heck yes they stink and are messy as ever.

The day will come when they stop coming. It is the calm after the storm. When we got 4 skunks, it was all quiet on the southern front. Ok, sorry I am a bit cliche today. But hey if the shoe fits, oh gee there I go again.

We had a horrible problem last year with mocking birds getting into my blueberries, and they were netted. This year I am so happy. It is my calm after the storm. I guess after my toy manchester killed 38 mockingbirds this time last year, there are few out there. Their species will survive, I have seen others. Only one ove has been in the nets. I picked 10#'s this morning, and there was peace. There also was a dog on duty. They do work for blueberries. They love them.

Congrats Smarty!

SmartAlex
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:08 PM
Ok, Smarty, what is your bait?

Some uber expensive ($35 for 6 #) hypo-allergenic Green Peas and Rabbit cat food that my cats refused to eat.