PDA

View Full Version : Painting the fence - asphalt paint...suggestions?

katyb
Jun. 18, 2012, 07:50 PM
Any suggestions/tips/advice? They (my sons, 13 and 21) are rolling/brushing not spraying it on.

ReSomething
Jun. 18, 2012, 07:53 PM
Wear old clothes!

bf1
Jun. 18, 2012, 09:44 PM
My sympathies!!! Did that for years. Did have some yahoo spray it on once, but that didn't last very long.

There is no trick. Brushes for the corners, and rollers for the rest.

Sure looks good when it is done!

katyb
Jun. 18, 2012, 10:18 PM
I hope we'll like it. I love my fence as is, but the spouse is certain we must paint it. He's probably right - grumble, grumble.

gumtree
Jun. 21, 2012, 11:37 PM
Having spent 20 years in Lexington KY it is always sprayed on. Rolling miles of fencing would take a whole lot of time. Trailer, generator, airless sprayer. Having the right spray tip is the key. I believe this is the link to where everyone gets their fence paint from. http://www.lexpaint.com/products/products.html Give them a call and they will be happy to give you advise even if you don’t order their product.

merrygoround
Jun. 22, 2012, 08:27 AM
I have used "gumtree"s black paint. It's messy but does stand up. Expensibe to ship though! :(

Far better to deal with than asphalt.

Rabtfarm
Jun. 22, 2012, 08:37 AM
Unless you have Gumtree's spray set up, fence painting is pretty brutal. Hire any teenager you can find! We painted a lot of our fence line(mostly with roller and brush). Tried the Wagner sprayer for a few hours: not a plan: first it weighs a ton when full, especially after the first 1/2 hour. Secondly paint refilling gets real messy fast. I'll install fencing all day long, just don't ask me to paint it! PS Lexpaint is about the best deal around...

secretariat
Jun. 22, 2012, 09:39 AM
In my experience, most of the spray painters around Lexington don't use asphalt paint. Very different material, very difficult to spray but if installed correctly protects fence much better (and is cheaper).