PDA

View Full Version : Baby Skunks! WWYD - Sad Update

Trevelyan96
Jun. 18, 2012, 05:17 PM
We have 4 very small juvenile skunks that seem to be very comfortable on our property. There are 3 in the front yard and 1 has managed to find his way into our fenced in back yard. I'm all for live and let live. They're still in their adorable tiny stage and so far haven't tried to spray the cats or dog or humans. But the worry is I have a terrier who goes right for them, and its only a matter of time until they're big/old enough to start spraying as a defense.

I'm especially concerned about the one one in the back yard. Yard is fenced with no-climb and we have an in-ground pool. Not sure how he got in there, but I'm also worried about how he'll get out, or that he'll end up drowning in the pool.

So, should I leave them alone and figure as they get a little bigger and older they'll move on an become a little less inclined to hang around where all the action is, or call animal control now to get them relocated?

Ambitious Kate
Jun. 18, 2012, 05:23 PM
You can't relocate animals like that. they depend on the balance of predators that exist in that area, and they have their own territory they share with raccoons, foxes and weasles. If you put them in a strange area, they will be killed right away by the imbalance in the new area.

I have found skunks don't spray often. We throw out our chicken bones and watch them at night from the second floor porch with a flood light. So funny, the big mom and the little babies. we get a spray about once or twice a year, usually in the spring only.

the only time I have heard of people having problems with skunks spraying is when there are dogs in the house or outside. Just keep an eye on them to make sure there are no rabid behaviours (such as being out during the day). If there are, then call animal control.

Lately we have no skunks or raccoons, because the fishecats have moved in. animal control won't do anything about the fishercats, because the FCs control the rabid species, like skunk and raccoon, so they like it when FCs move in. Meat eaters like FCs don't get rabies the way the racoons and skunks do.

Trevelyan96
Jun. 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
These little guys are definitely out during the day. They're just tooling around, and although the babies haven't sprayed the dog yet, something is definitely spraying. Maybe the mom is nearby?

They are cute. Pics. If the link isn't public, I'll find another way to post them.

https://www.facebook.com/arlubinsky#!/photo.php?fbid=4088054086268&set=a.2293435901935.2137602.1430178884&type=1&theater

charismaryllis
Jun. 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
take lots of pictures and post them here?? :yes:

oh, sorry, i guess that wasn't what you were really looking for.

my mother's yard always had an assortment of critters: skunks, possums, raccoons. she currently has deer like other people have squirrels. but the skunks were never really a problem--they liked to come out and eat the fallen birdseed under the feeders and check out the garbage cans if the raccoons had knocked them over. i don't recall anyone/thing ever getting sprayed.

eta: ooh pics!

Epona142
Jun. 18, 2012, 06:38 PM
I used to keep skunks as pets and OMG SQUEE at the baby! :)

I wouldn't mess with them - certainly wouldn't touch them in any way or form, and I would not feed them either.

Live and let live.

lcw579
Jun. 18, 2012, 07:05 PM
We had some baby skunks hanging out in our yard a few years ago. My husband thought they were adorable - until the one night he was out at the grill and one of them turned tail to him and threatened to spray. Luckily it was still too little for any stink. Not too long after that they stopped coming by.

So, I wouldn't worry too much. I think as they age they will get less trusting and take off. We had dogs and cats at the time and they never did get sprayed.

RiverBendPol
Jun. 18, 2012, 11:13 PM
Get them deskunked and keep them instead of cats. My aunt ALWAYS had "pet" skunks in the house. ;-/

Kryswyn
Jun. 18, 2012, 11:20 PM
Terrier vs Skunk never ends well for one of the two. Either Terrier gets skunked, or skunk gets dead.

Donkaloosa
Jun. 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
Few things are cuter than Mama Skunk out for a walk with her little skunklets! I don't know why, but most dogs don't seem to learn that the black kitty cats with the white stripe do NOT like them. When I lived on a farm, we had quite a few skunks, most of whom got along well with our dogs --- they knew the dogs were curious. Still, my old dog Blue got skunked 3 times in two weeks --- a record I hope my dogs NEVER beat!

JmpR_1
Jun. 18, 2012, 11:32 PM
BABIES!!! :) Cutest picture ever. I say let them be. You could always catch the one in the backyard and place him in the front. Just use a large towel. But definitely let them be. Maybe try calling a wildlife rescue to see if this is normal, since you have not seen the mama. Maybe they are orphaned? In that case, they need to get some care.

NoDQhere
Jun. 19, 2012, 12:11 AM
I would beg and plead with my friend/Vet to descent them for me and add them to my family. But that probably isn't what most folks would want to do :lol:!

I would capture the one in your yard (with a thick blanket that you can throw away, far, far away) and put him back with the other two. Then try to leave them alone. But I wonder, because they are alone and out in the daytime, if their Mom is dead. If that is the case I WOULD feed them, but away from your house so they don't associate you with food.

But, then again, Skunks do make fun, sweet pets :yes:.

suz
Jun. 19, 2012, 08:19 AM
i helped a vet do a descenting procedure once. it was fast and easy iirc (and illegal i bet).
skunks can make really good pets, they are cat like in ways.
if they are orphaned i'd be hard pressed not to feed them myself.
maybe far from the dog's area for everyone's sake. does your dog know the 'leave-it' command?
that would be good!
when i had one he liked hardboiled eggs and tuna.

nasalberry
Jun. 19, 2012, 08:48 AM
You probably don't want to know what I would do.

But consider: I hope you really do enjoy these things, as they have decided your property is their property, you will have them year-after-year.

They not only stink-up everything, but can carry rabies as well.

Just an FYI.

rmh_rider
Jun. 19, 2012, 09:55 AM
Baby skunks will become adult skunks.

Not always do they leave the area. Their new area could just be your barn.

They will not be so cute and adorable looking in a couple months. They will be fully ready to hold your barn hostage or parts of your property hostage.

Cute now, but adults fully armed in the not so distant future.

Trap and remove them - pronto.

If not - enjoy their presence, and then their offspring also in the very near future. Because they will start looking for new dens of their own. And underneath your hay is a wonderful place. Or - oh oh I know - in your tack room or under your house!

Last week end my mare was sprayed on her nose. We have huge protective measures for them not to live in our barn. We have played the unfortunate hosts to skunks in our barn (and other areas of our property), and the barn was completely held under siege until they were ousted. Then we fixed and made our barn so they could never get in again. I hope.

Cute now, but they will become adults and then not so cute then. Ever had your very nice tack SPRAYED by a skunk? How about your truck? How about your dogs? How about under your very nice stack of hay? How about your horse?

hmm. things to consider.

nasalberry
Jun. 19, 2012, 11:21 AM
Baby skunks will become adult skunks.

Not always do they leave the area. Their new area could just be your barn.

They will not be so cute and adorable looking in a couple months. They will be fully ready to hold your barn hostage or parts of your property hostage.

Cute now, but adults fully armed in the not so distant future.

Trap and remove them - pronto.

If not - enjoy their presence, and then their offspring also in the very near future. Because they will start looking for new dens of their own. And underneath your hay is a wonderful place. Or - oh oh I know - in your tack room or under your house!

Last week end my mare was sprayed on her nose. We have huge protective measures for them not to live in our barn. We have played the unfortunate hosts to skunks in our barn (and other areas of our property), and the barn was completely held under siege until they were ousted. Then we fixed and made our barn so they could never get in again. I hope.

Cute now, but they will become adults and then not so cute then. Ever had your very nice tack SPRAYED by a skunk? How about your truck? How about your dogs? How about under your very nice stack of hay? How about your horse?

hmm. things to consider.
^THIS!^

I am definitely one that does NOT find them "cute" at all. :no:

Bacardi1
Jun. 19, 2012, 07:43 PM
You can't relocate animals like that. they depend on the balance of predators that exist in that area, and they have their own territory they share with raccoons, foxes and weasles. If you put them in a strange area, they will be killed right away by the imbalance in the new area.

Don't be ridiculous. Do you know anything about skunks? They have only TWO predators - Great Horned Owls & automobiles. Relocating a litter of baby skunks isn't going to affect the Great Horned Owls or the automobiles in the area.:rolleyes:

Bacardi1
Jun. 19, 2012, 07:54 PM
I would beg and plead with my friend/Vet to descent them for me and add them to my family. But that probably isn't what most folks would want to do :lol:!

I would capture the one in your yard (with a thick blanket that you can throw away, far, far away) and put him back with the other two. Then try to leave them alone. But I wonder, because they are alone and out in the daytime, if their Mom is dead. If that is the case I WOULD feed them, but away from your house so they don't associate you with food.

But, then again, Skunks do make fun, sweet pets :yes:.

i helped a vet do a descenting procedure once. it was fast and easy iirc (and illegal i bet).
skunks can make really good pets, they are cat like in ways.
if they are orphaned i'd be hard pressed not to feed them myself.
maybe far from the dog's area for everyone's sake. does your dog know the 'leave-it' command?
that would be good!
when i had one he liked hardboiled eggs and tuna.

Get them deskunked and keep them instead of cats. My aunt ALWAYS had "pet" skunks in the house. ;-/

Yes - skunks "can" (& I emphasize the "CAN") make sweet pets. I myself had a descented one back in the early 1970's that I purchased from a vet. Very ferret-like, but MUCH MORE of a handful to train, & needed lots of exercise & supervision.

While they are cute, there are definitely more CONS than pros.

~ They won't be "babies" for long. Adult skunks can grow larger & heavier than your largest domestic cat.

~ Even descented, they still maintain a somewhat strong musky smell that some people find unpleasant.

~ They are ILLEGAL in most states, & for those states that allow them, you need a permit.

~ As I said before, they can be a REAL handful, & if you decide they're not for you, rehoming isn't as easy as contacting your local shelter or posting on Craigslist.

~ Many, many vets refuse to treat them - even for regular vaccinations, which they do require. You most likely need to locate a vet specializing in "exotics".

~ Did I say they're a handful? As in difficult to litter-box train, love to tip over waste & trash baskets, have long fingers & claws that normally would be used to tear open ground nests of Yellow Jacket wasps & dig for grubs but now are used on your carpet, yadayadayadayada.

~ And no, they can't just be kept in a cage until you "want to play with them". They're not hamsters.

~ And no - once you're tired of them, or disgusted with them, you can't just "let them go" out in the wild once they're descented & even just semi-domesticated. That's crueler than cruel.

Still want a skunk as a pet? Go out & buy a ferret instead.

Trevelyan96
Jun. 21, 2012, 01:45 PM
I think its very likely they're orphaned, but they also seem old enough to take care of themselves. At any rate, I haven't seen as much of them this week, and the one in the back yard seems to have found his way out. I'm guessing they've probably matured enough to have become a little more shy of the humans and dog and become more normally nocturnal.

Fortuntately, the terrier pretty much keeps the critters from moving into the barn. He was skunked once last summer, and I'm hoping he learned from that experience.

Bacardi1
Jun. 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
I think its very likely they're orphaned, but they also seem old enough to take care of themselves. At any rate, I haven't seen as much of them this week, and the one in the back yard seems to have found his way out. I'm guessing they've probably matured enough to have become a little more shy of the humans and dog and become more normally nocturnal.

Fortuntately, the terrier pretty much keeps the critters from moving into the barn. He was skunked once last summer, and I'm hoping he learned from that experience.

Most likely not orphaned at all. Skunks leave mom asap. As do young possums, raccoons, & similar critters. Unlike domesticated critters, there isn't the same attachement to mom. In the wild it's important to be on your own asap, & that's how it works. We see young skunk, possums, & raccoons here no larger than a little kitten all the time. And they're perfectly capable of taking care of themselves.

wendy
Jun. 21, 2012, 02:18 PM
But consider: I hope you really do enjoy these things, as they have decided your property is their property, you will have them year-after-year.

They not only stink-up everything, but can carry rabies as well.

yes, and whomever posted that they only spray dogs is very wrong. I know quite a few people who have been sprayed in their own yards by skunks with a distinct absence of involved canines. One horrible case most of the spray got under the house into the crawl-space and it took them months to get the smell out of the house.

I believe it's illegal most everywhere to "relocate" skunks due to the carrying rabies issue, plus of course no one wants YOUR stinky problem dumped onto them to take care of. So the only other options are "drive away" or "eradicate".

Some people claim sprinkling bottled fox urine all over will keep skunks away. You should also see if you can spot what they eating in your yard that is keeping them around- cat food? garbage? compost pile? mole infestation?- and try to block their access to it.

He was skunked once last summer, and I'm hoping he learned from that experience.
in my experience, dogs don't learn much from being skunked and will go on to be serial skunked dogs if given the opportunity.

Bacardi1
Jun. 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
Fox urine will NOT keep skunks away. Once AGAIN - skunks have only two natural enemies (not counting disease) - owls & automobiles. Period.

As for them "just spraying dogs" - that's idiotic. They'll spray anything they believe is a threat - including cars (just before they get run over).

In fact, on a lovely moonlit night, my husband took one of our dogs out for a nice walk up our long drive. Skunk came trundling by - completely ignored the dog, but sprayed my husband good. What fun!

oliverreed
Jun. 21, 2012, 02:37 PM
A family of skunkies moved under the house my Dad rented next door to me a few years ago. Nothing we tried could get them out, even had help from animal control. Around here you cannot ask AC to relocate them, it is illegal. Dad ended up moving. :(

rcloisonne
Jun. 21, 2012, 03:34 PM
Yes - skunks "can" (& I emphasize the "CAN") make sweet pets. I myself had a descented one back in the early 1970's that I purchased from a vet. Very ferret-like, but MUCH MORE of a handful to train, & needed lots of exercise & supervision.

While they are cute, there are definitely more CONS than pros.

~ They won't be "babies" for long. Adult skunks can grow larger & heavier than your largest domestic cat.

~ Even descented, they still maintain a somewhat strong musky smell that some people find unpleasant.

~ They are ILLEGAL in most states, & for those states that allow them, you need a permit.

~ As I said before, they can be a REAL handful, & if you decide they're not for you, rehoming isn't as easy as contacting your local shelter or posting on Craigslist.

~ Many, many vets refuse to treat them - even for regular vaccinations, which they do require. You most likely need to locate a vet specializing in "exotics".

~ Did I say they're a handful? As in difficult to litter-box train, love to tip over waste & trash baskets, have long fingers & claws that normally would be used to tear open ground nests of Yellow Jacket wasps & dig for grubs but now are used on your carpet, yadayadayadayada.

~ And no, they can't just be kept in a cage until you "want to play with them". They're not hamsters.

~ And no - once you're tired of them, or disgusted with them, you can't just "let them go" out in the wild once they're descented & even just semi-domesticated. That's crueler than cruel.

Still want a skunk as a pet? Go out & buy a ferret instead.
Exactly! These are the main reasons it is illegal to possess a wild animal without a permit in most states. The majority of people don't know how to handle an adult wild animal. They're not so cute anymore when they tear up your house or attack you, your family, your friends. They rarely make good pets.

Ambitious Kate
Jun. 21, 2012, 04:54 PM
Fox urine will NOT keep skunks away. Once AGAIN - skunks have only two natural enemies (not counting disease) - owls & automobiles. Period.

Debunked!! ^^ See below.

Or bigfoot.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/films/skunk-trapped.htm

And fishercats. Fishers take everything in the area, including skunks, possums and raccoons. That's why fish and game love it when fishers move into residential neighborhoods, around here. And you're right, the foxes give way to the skunks. I remember seeing a fox family with kits come to eat a chicken carcass we put out in the back yard (we would sit on the second floor deck with the floodlight on, and the kids would camp out up there with sleeping bags, watching the wildlife).

Out came the foxes. Kits playing, it was national geographic and "Strange Wilderness" in person! then, out came mother skunk. She was so wierd, mostly white, with only a little black. She came waddling up with her babies, and the foxes moved to the edge of the light and sat there and watched the skunk and babies eat all their chicken. After the skunk left, the foxes came back and tried to find anything left. But no fox was going to challenge the skunk!

Once the fisher cat moved in, the mother skunk and any skunks were gone. Raccoons were gone. Even the raptors (hawks) left, because the squirrells and field mice were gone. After two years, the fisher left, because he had eaten everything. He moved about a mile away, and folks in that area said all their wildlife was gone, too. This is supported by Fish and Wildlife; fisher cats eat or drive out all competition that isn't bigger and badder than they are.

As for the dogs, we don't have any dogs in our immediate neighborhood, interestingly. Before the fisher, we didn't get sprayed. Folks I know with dogs have their house sprayed regularly, and their dogs bark at the skunk out the windows, or run around the yardand get sprayed. That's just my experience.

Guin
Jun. 21, 2012, 06:31 PM
I <3 skunks. They are very helpful animals, for one thing - they eat grubs and bugs. I am in the "they will grow up and move away" camp. I've never seen more than one adult skunk in a smaller area, except of course when they're out mating or with their babies. I have one that lives under my shed from time to time. I think it actually hibernates there, and then in the spring waddles off to meet a suitor. My dogs stay away from it, and it stays away from my dogs.

Please leave them alone for another month or so. I really think they'll grow up and relocate themselves in a few weeks.

Trevelyan96
Jun. 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
As I feared, found one of the babies drowned in the swimming pool this morning. Since the family was in it yesterday, I can only assume it happened during the night. I guess he hadn't found his way out of the yard after all.

RIP little guy.

Somermist
Jun. 22, 2012, 01:54 PM
As I feared, found one of the babies drowned in the swimming pool this morning. Since the family was in it yesterday, I can only assume it happened during the night. I guess he hadn't found his way out of the yard after all.

RIP little guy.

RIP:(

wendy
Jun. 22, 2012, 02:59 PM

foxes don't actually have to EAT the animals to discourage them from coming around- perhaps skunks avoid areas that are heavy on the fox because they know the foxes will compete with them for the same food sources. Don't have to fight with the skunk to beat them to the food, just have to be more mobile and quicker on the uptake- smart fox out-competes armed but dumb skunk?
Many people report success in repellants made from fox urine.
We have a lot of foxes and I rarely see skunks.
There are some islands off the coast of CA where they have documented that when the fox population goes down, the skunk population goes up.

jetsmom
Jun. 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
I <3 skunks. They are very helpful animals, for one thing - they eat grubs and bugs. I am in the "they will grow up and move away" camp. I've never seen more than one adult skunk in a smaller area, except of course when they're out mating or with their babies. I have one that lives under my shed from time to time. I think it actually hibernates there, and then in the spring waddles off to meet a suitor. My dogs stay away from it, and it stays away from my dogs.

Please leave them alone for another month or so. I really think they'll grow up and relocate themselves in a few weeks.

I had a family of 4 babies that lived under a pallet out back near the hay barn. I fed the cats there, and the babies would come running to me when I showed up. They were very cute, and would wait at my feet for me to put the cat's food down. never sprayed. I even stepped over one, when it was getting dark and I thought it was the black.white cat. They learned to recognize my car, and one day when I fed early, as I got in my car to leave, one of them came out and started running after my car as I drove away...like "WAIIIT...You forgot to feed me!"
Eventually they all left to find their own territory when they got older. Apparently they wander 30-40 acres each, so will move off when they mature. Now we just have one adult.

Coyoteco
Jun. 25, 2012, 01:05 PM
We've had skunks come up for years. They are usually harmless and sweet. For a couple of years we had some who tended to be aggressive with the raccoons and cats, not too bad, but certainly not the sweet ones we were used to. Last summer, they - or at least one younger one - were spraying frequently. My son got a water gun and when they sprayed, he'd go spray the offending skunk with a water gun. It seemed to work and the skunks did seem to learn not to spray. I did get annoyed with the skunk spraying, but over the course of 20 years, it was only a problem with that one and it learned better.
I'm sorry about the little one in the swimming pool. Good for you in letting it stay, though. So many people here talk like they are are "environmentally" friendly and then kill every wild animal they encounter. Frankly, I'm just sick of people who kill wildlife and then act like they love animals and the environment.

Bacardi1
Jun. 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
Frankly, I'm just sick of people who kill wildlife and then act like they love animals and the environment.

Ditto. Far too many people seem to feel like the wildlife are the intruders & THEY are the entitled ones. Ignorance is sad.

Hinderella
Jun. 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
Bacardi1, you will need to update your list of natural predators for skunks. I was talking about skunks with my sister, who's a wildlife biologist. She remembered a particularly unpleasant skunk related moment when she was sitting in a golden eagle's nest, banding youngsters, next to a particularly ripe....dead skunk. I asked her if that was unusual, and she said no, golden eagles will definitely take skunks. :)

We have a teen skunk who's around my house every evening. Skunk Jr. (skunk Sr. lives next door) particularly likes cleaning up under the bird feeder. He's actually rather cute, but we do need to look both ways when we get out of our cars if we come home late...don't want to surprise him!

OP, sorry about the baby skunk :(

Bacardi1
Jun. 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
Bacardi1, you will need to update your list of natural predators for skunks.

No need for me to "update my list" at all. I'm fully aware that both hawks & eagles will also take skunks. But it's a rarity because - unless ill - skunks are out & about long after both hawks & eagles have retired for the evening. Thus the chance of one taking a skunk is - again - a rarity. Owls & automobiles still remain as the 99.9% predators of skunk.

rcloisonne
Jun. 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
asked her if that was unusual, and she said no, golden eagles will definitely take skunks. :)
My money's on the skunk was road kill.

Bacardi1
Jun. 25, 2012, 01:58 PM
My money's on the skunk was road kill.

Yes - that's true as well. Both hawks (Red-Tails in particular) & eagles will both consume carrion themselves, & also take it to a nest.

SonnysMom
Jun. 25, 2012, 03:30 PM

RIP little guy.

Sorry to hear skunk baby drowned. A friend of mine has an inground pool and she has a small platform that ties to the ladder that an animal could climb onto to keep from drowning. She has it there in case one of the dogs gets in or in case her cat falls in (again). This way they don't need to find the steps. It at least give two exits in the pool instead of one.

Hinderella
Jun. 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Jeez, Bacardi, a little sensitive? I put the smile on my post just so you wouldn't feel slighted that I'd added another predator to your list.

Since my sister has been actively working as a wildlife biologist for 20 years, most of that with birds of prey, and including national awards for her work, I took her at her word...but you don't have to. It was information, not a requirement.

Zu Zu
Jun. 25, 2012, 04:38 PM
RIP ~ Little One :cry:

RIP little guy.

threedogpack
Jun. 25, 2012, 08:14 PM
Frankly, I'm just sick of people who kill wildlife and then act like they love animals and the environment.

And those of us who do not want a rabies vector species living in our backyard are amazed at your tolerance for them.

"In Pennsylvania these species include the following: raccoons, skunks, foxes, cats, bats, and coyotes. "

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/states/pennsylvania/fact_sheet_rabies.shtml

Bacardi1
Jun. 25, 2012, 08:41 PM
And those of us who do not want a rabies vector species living in our backyard are amazed at your tolerance for them.

"In Pennsylvania these species include the following: raccoons, skunks, foxes, cats, bats, and coyotes. "

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/states/pennsylvania/fact_sheet_rabies.shtml

So - you're planning on eradicating all of them?

Huntertwo
Jun. 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
Debunked!! ^^ See below.

Or bigfoot.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/films/skunk-trapped.htm

And fishercats. Fishers take everything in the area, including skunks, possums and raccoons. That's why fish and game love it when fishers move into residential neighborhoods, around here. And you're right, the foxes give way to the skunks. I remember seeing a fox family with kits come to eat a chicken carcass we put out in the back yard (we would sit on the second floor deck with the floodlight on, and the kids would camp out up there with sleeping bags, watching the wildlife).

Out came the foxes. Kits playing, it was national geographic and "Strange Wilderness" in person! then, out came mother skunk. She was so wierd, mostly white, with only a little black. She came waddling up with her babies, and the foxes moved to the edge of the light and sat there and watched the skunk and babies eat all their chicken. After the skunk left, the foxes came back and tried to find anything left. But no fox was going to challenge the skunk!

Once the fisher cat moved in, the mother skunk and any skunks were gone. Raccoons were gone. Even the raptors (hawks) left, because the squirrells and field mice were gone. After two years, the fisher left, because he had eaten everything. He moved about a mile away, and folks in that area said all their wildlife was gone, too. This is supported by Fish and Wildlife; fisher cats eat or drive out all competition that isn't bigger and badder than they are.

As for the dogs, we don't have any dogs in our immediate neighborhood, interestingly. Before the fisher, we didn't get sprayed. Folks I know with dogs have their house sprayed regularly, and their dogs bark at the skunk out the windows, or run around the yardand get sprayed. That's just my experience.

I wonder why the Fish and Game Department would love it when a Fisher Cat moves in?

If they destroy all and any wildlife, what is the benefit from that?

Especially if they wipe out a rare or endangered species, never mind the neighborhood dogs and cats...

Huntertwo
Jun. 25, 2012, 08:53 PM
These little guys are definitely out during the day. They're just tooling around, and although the babies haven't sprayed the dog yet, something is definitely spraying. Maybe the mom is nearby?

They are cute. Pics. If the link isn't public, I'll find another way to post them.

https://www.facebook.com/arlubinsky#!/photo.php?fbid=4088054086268&set=a.2293435901935.2137602.1430178884&type=1&theater

Aww, they are sooo adorable!!! :)

So sad about the baby that drowned. Poor little guy. :cry:

threedogpack
Jun. 25, 2012, 10:51 PM
So - you're planning on eradicating all of them?

No Bacardi, I just don't want them around my backyard.

nasalberry
Jun. 26, 2012, 12:08 AM
No Bacardi, I just don't want them around my backyard.

I am SO sick and tired of this whole "Bambi attitude" :dead:
SERIOUSLY?!? Grow up, peeps!!
You going to coddle the disease-carrying mice/rats that foul-up your feed? ("o, look! these mice-pups are SOOO cuUUUUTTE!!! <I am farting and rainbows!!!>" "OH! How ADORABLE!!!! Here is a FAM-BLY of RACCOONs destroying my neighbors garden!! Let me take pix of all this cuteness!!! ")
:sleepy:

Good gods. Were NONE of you raised "in the country/on a farm" ??
I will continue to dispatch - as is my right - ANY vermin that poses a serious health threat, destroys my feed/fencing/barn-walls/ garden.

Go right ahead and hug your skunks/raccoon/mice ~ whatever.
... And when it all goes terribly wrong, I will laugh and laugh at you.

<Off soapbox, shaking head in disgust ~ carry-on squee-ers>

nasalberry
Jun. 26, 2012, 12:40 AM
As I feared, found one of the babies drowned in the swimming pool this morning. Since the family was in it yesterday, I can only assume it happened during the night. ...
Wait ... What??
You allow the family of skunks in your swimming pool? Please tell me I've misunderstood that statement! :confused:

threedogpack
Jun. 26, 2012, 01:07 AM
I am SO sick and tired of this whole "Bambi attitude" :dead:
SERIOUSLY?!? Grow up, peeps!!

Nasalberry? I'm .with. you not against you. The skunks would not have lasted days at my house.

shireluver
Jun. 26, 2012, 01:29 AM
Wait ... What??
You allow the family of skunks in your swimming pool? Please tell me I've misunderstood that statement! :confused:

I understood it to mean the OP's family was in the pool that day before not the skunk family.

nasalberry
Jun. 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
I understood it to mean the OP's family was in the pool that day before not the skunk family.
Oh, thank gods! I figured I must have had it wrong!
:lol:

Coyoteco
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:20 PM

Let me repeat myself since I was quoted in your post here - and you seem to not have understood me clearly: "Frankly, I'm just sick of people who kill wildlife and then act like they love animals and the environment." No exceptions, no excuses. I am thinking this in all caps, btw:)

ETA - I just saw your list. You kill CATS too?! - more than all caps now.

nasalberry
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:51 PM
Let me repeat myself since I was quoted in your post here - and you seem to not have understood me clearly: "Frankly, I'm just sick of people who kill wildlife and then act like they love animals and the environment." No exceptions, no excuses. I am thinking this in all caps, btw:)

"Let me reiterate:"

Frankly, I do NOT love all animals - I hate some of them. While I will not go out of my way to hunt/kill any animal, once it moves into MY *area, destroys MY buildings, fouls or hoovers-up MY livestock's fodder or MY garden, it is no longer wildlife, but is an intruder and a nuisance, and I AM going to dispatch the obnoxious muh-fuhs asap. End of story. :D

*As anyone "should" know: any wildlife moves into another animal's territory, it will also be either driven off, killed or hunted and eaten.

:yes:

threedogpack
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:53 PM

not my list, it's from the CDC.

I don't want skunks or coons in my yard. Baby skunks who have been seperated from their mother, probably don't HAVE a mother anymore. They aren't cute to me, they are simply young vermin. I'm not going to save them and I'm not going to let them starve. If I can't get in touch with the Game Dept to remove them, they aren't going to stay. Period.

Huntertwo
Jun. 26, 2012, 09:55 PM

Pretty sickening isn't it? I've lived in wooded areas most of my life. Even fed a family of raccoons, possums, and never ever had a problem.

Heck, horses can get rabies, maybe those people should eradicate them too. I have to assume, but don't know for a fact, that most animals can carry rabies.

Many animals are nocturnal. I wonder if anyone realizes how many of these species must criss-cross one's property on a nightly basis. The Horror!!!:eek:

Honestly, if anyone is so worried about Rabies, get the vaccination series. It's easy and painless.

Coyoteco
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:03 PM

Frankly, I do NOT love all animals - I hate some of them. While I will not go out of my way to hunt/kill any animal, once it moves into MY *area, destroys MY buildings, fouls or hoovers-up MY livestock's fodder or MY garden, it is no longer wildlife, but is an intruder and a nuisance, and I AM going to dispatch the obnoxious muh-fuhs asap. End of story. :D

*As anyone "should" know: any wildlife moves into another animal's territory, it will also be either driven off, killed or hunted and eaten.

Well, I wasn't talking to you, but if you insist. It is very, very clear that you hate animals and have the same disdain for we people who value wildlife as I have for people who don't. Of course, you do have to keep them out of your yard ;) as you can never tell what they'll be up to - like holding skunk family swim parties in the pool. Seriously? I must say it was hilarious to read what you thought the op was doing with the little skunks, but sad, too, as it shows the hysteria that people have about wildlife.

Coyoteco
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:07 PM
Pretty sickening isn't it? I've lived in wooded areas most of my life. Even fed a family of raccoons, possums, and never ever had a problem.

Heck, horses can get rabies, maybe those people should eradicate them too. I have to assume, but don't know for a fact, that most animals can carry rabies.

Many animals are nocturnal. I wonder if anyone realizes how many of these species must criss-cross one's property on a nightly basis. The Horror!!!:eek:

Honestly, if anyone is so worried about Rabies, get the vaccination series. It's easy and painless.

Absolutely.

Huntertwo
Jun. 26, 2012, 10:16 PM

My, we are selfish.... Do you shoot birds out of the sky if they fly over YOUR property?

Perhaps it was you who built your house on THEIR territory and now expect the wildlife to comply with YOUR rules.

nasalberry
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:46 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

... And The "Bambi Syndrome" is alive and well.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PETA-type people are not only clueless, but delusional PITA people.

blue phlox farm
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
Wow, just read through this long and winding road of posts.... some real opinionated people about their relationships with wild animals. The idea that wild animals "carry" rabies is mind boggleing! No warm bloodied animal, i.e. mammal, "carries" rabies. They get it, they die, just like us. They do not recover, period...no surviving to become a carrier. Why do you think the kid had to shoot Ol' Yeller? This isn't EIA where a recovered horse is now a carrier of the disease. Just like with humans, after contract with saliva/blood of an infected animal, the disease travels through the body at different rates. Can be several weeks or longer til the symptoms appear. During that time an infected animal who is in close proximity with other animals can spread the disease through saliva etc. Grooming each other is a common way to spread the disease. This is why you should handle all unknown stray dogs and cats with the same precautions you would for any wild animal...could be in the early onset of the disease and transmission is high, and NO SYMPTOMS. No snarling, drooling beast until the last stages, often no snarling at all, just a weakened disoriented animal wandering around aimlessly. So please to not think that wild animals carry rabies! The skunks, the raccoons, the bats can get it by exposure, and in a short time, die. Try to pick a better word than "carrier", they are not carrying it....just dying from it.

wendy
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:28 AM
Getting rid of wildlife because you worry about rabies is kind of odd- you can spot rabid animals pretty easily. In the US practically all human cases of rabies are acquired from bats, not skunks or fox or raccoons.
However, with skunks, there's a big worry: being sprayed. I don't tolerate skunks in areas I frequent often because I don't want to be sprayed. They aren't an endangered species by any means, so I don't feel bad at all about discouraging them from staying around, and if they don't get the hint, a spot of eradication.

threedogpack
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
No warm bloodied animal, i.e. mammal, "carries" rabies. They get it, they die, just like us.

exactly. However, until they die, they are a vector species. Vector meaning that they are a species that transmit the disease from one host to another. Being a vector is often referred to as a "carrier" as they do not always die immediately, so they can "carry" the disease from one area to another.

I would hope that the mother skunk was not around for some reason other than rabies, but I would not have taken a chance on it.

Harboring wildlife around here is a big no no as well. The Game Commission frowns heavily on those who take in wildlife.

threedogpack
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:07 AM
Getting rid of wildlife because you worry about rabies is kind of odd- you can spot rabid animals pretty easily.

if they are symptomatic, it's easy to spot. Incubation can take from 1-3 months during which time the animals might not show symptoms.

SonnysMom
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
For those of you that don't want skunks it really helps if you get rid of the food source that to draw them to your yard. One of their favorites seem to be grubs. Treat you lawn for grubs and the skunk population tends to move on to places that have more grubs.
I have know a few people with a skunk problem who treated for grubs and the skunks stopped being a problem. No need for the home owner to kill them or relocate them. One had a professional come and use milky spore to kill the grubs the other used do it yourself chemicals from Lowe's.

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 27, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm in the camp of: Get rid of them!

They will grow up and become a nuisance to you.
If you relocate them, they will become a nuisance to someone else.

There are plenty of skunks in the world, disposing of one or two that are taking over (or will take over) your property isn't going to eradicate the whole species.

jetsmom
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:46 PM
For the people suggesting killing or relocating, you do realize that nature abhors a vacuum, and that a new one will most likely move in, right?

best thing to do is make the area undesireable to them. Remove food sources/areas of shelter/have dogs or predators.

Crockpot
Jun. 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
Wait ... What??
You allow the family of skunks in your swimming pool? Please tell me I've misunderstood that statement!

AWW too bad. I'm still picturing the skunk family enjoying their family outing.

wendy
Jun. 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
For the people suggesting killing or relocating, you do realize that nature abhors a vacuum, and that a new one will most likely move in, right?

best thing to do is make the area undesireable to them. Remove food sources/areas of shelter/have dogs or predators.

agree 100%. If you shoot one, another one will show up. Unless you make the place inhospitable.

rmh_rider
Jun. 30, 2012, 10:43 AM
agree 100%. If you shoot one, another one will show up. Unless you make the place inhospitable.

I have LOTS of ammo. If not, I will buy more!! Therefore I am making the place very inhospitable. :-))

So far none have moved in. My trap is shelved for now. HOWEVER, I have smelled another one. It is nearby, I know it. Just don't know where it lives - yet. If so, my trap is ready to go. Got bait in the fridge too. Cheese! Like cheeecken, everybody likes cheese!

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l531/purpleorchid102/IMG_0838.jpg

Trevelyan96
Jul. 2, 2012, 06:52 PM
Just as an update, we haven't seen the remaining youngsters for over a week, so I'm assuming they've either grown up enough to be more shy and/or nocturnal, moved on, or met with some other fate.

For those of you horrified at the idea of living peacefully with them, I hadn't planned on making them pets or pests. They're pretty common in our area and other than the god awful smell when one of them becomes road kill, haven't been a problem.

jay0087
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:34 PM
If you ever have a skunk problem get a skunk tube. Kinda pricey for a cage but we have caught 5 without worrying about getting sprayed. We take them to animal control and they let them go out back. Just took one today, it was a light one, hoping it was not a baby.