PDA

View Full Version : How useful is your toyota tacoma?

minuspride
Jun. 15, 2012, 05:15 PM
Always been a Subaru person, but lately I feel so low and "in a bucket" when I drive my '08 Impreza.
So, I'm looking around at other options. I work in emergency services, so I have a lot of gear I carry around with me, and of course all the horse gear. I'm not expecting to pull a horse trailer or anything like that with it.
Have you found it's too small to do anything with? Too cramped to drive around in? I'm 5' 5'' so leg room isn't really a problem, no kids/husband, but I do sometimes drive my friends around (road trips, carpool, etc.)
My work is 30 miles from my home, so I need something that is still somewhat good on gas. I also like to camp a lot, so being able to haul everything in the bed and not get my car dirty is appealing, and I also have a dog that I don't like driving around in my relatively new, spotless car.

ReSomething
Jun. 15, 2012, 07:26 PM
We have the older body type (smaller) with the xtra cab and after adding a lumber rack and a camper shell it's been quite the useful little workhorse. Can't recommend it as a multi - passenger vehicle unless your friends are small and limber though. To make this horse related, the camper shell gives you great covered space for tack and feed and if the hot water heater blows up in the barn you take it off and voila you have your pick up bed back for those pesky tall items.

Honestly though if it were me I'd like the Impreza, or whatever they call the old Brat nowadays, with a shell of some sort. Crate the dog in the car and buy some mats for the floors and trunk and pay to have some big guy deliver the hot water heater.

DH just needed a pickup and the small ones are so much easier to park and drive in traffic.

keatssu
Jun. 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
We have the extended cab SR5 VR6 which has the towing package. 21 mpg, my husband drives a combination of city and highway miles. We tow a 2 horse trailer. We have some friends who have had one for at least 10 years. They haven't had any problems. Toyotas are highly reliable in general. Our extended cab is not the full back seat. I'm 5'1" so I can sit in the back. The back also comes in handy for groceries, etc. And my 75 lb dog. We love it.

ms raven
Jun. 21, 2012, 01:16 AM
Not sure you're still looking for replies but would like to add that I love my Tacoma! I have a '09 V6 (TRD offroad package) with access cab. I'm about the same height as you with a similar set up, less the dog :)

For me it's been great, it's very reasonable on fuel (IMO), very comfortable to drive. I expect to reach 100,000 kms with my original brakes and I've had no problems. I drive about 50 kms daily and have done a few long trips without discomfort. This past winter I picked up a set of all weather mats for the front and rear and drag myself, my gear and a lot of dirt to and fro the barn on a regular basis. Truck still cleans up great and looks new inside and out.

The access cab has the smallish rear seats that fold up and reveal a fair amount of floor space. There is a center console back there that might be a little susceptible to scratches but I think in general it would be okay for a dog. Your friends probably wouldn't be too comfortable over long distances in an access cab so if you're interested in a Tacoma you might want to opt for the full cab.

I've moved just about anything one can think of in the box and it's been great.

Hope this helps :)

Alagirl
Jun. 21, 2012, 01:43 AM
well, you will probably need a camper shell.

not sure why you would want to switch from a car to a truck...unless you have developed truck envy reading COTH ;)

Having a truck will limit you to the number of people you can haul around.
Can be good, can be bad

or people ask you to haul stuff for them.:lol:

Astraled
Jun. 21, 2012, 03:46 AM
Clearly, a Baja is the answer. I wanted one but they are hard to find. Is your Impreza a sedan? I have an Impreza wagon and it is a darn useful vehicle. I had a Tacoma, drove it into the ground (210,000 and it might still be out there). It was a 96 and terrible for carting people around. If the extended cabs are the same size these days, it's practically inhumane to put a person back there for a road trip. It was also pretty low to ground. If you want up off the ground, maybe a 4runner?

WildBlue
Jun. 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
My 6'3" dad just bought his second Tacoma (4x4, extended cab). He LOVES them. He's a contractor and uses it for everything where he doesn't want to drive the huge work truck.

The first truck was the older, smaller style with the 4-speed manual tranny. Great for two people, though the back seat is doable for short trips with flexible people. Plenty of room to haul stuff though, as mentioned, you do need some kind of shell on the bed. Rubber matting back there is handy, too. He really made a workhorse out of his, and it did very well.

The new truck is bigger and roomier, and has more nice little options. It compares VERY favorably to the Dakota I had.

KMRyan
Jun. 23, 2012, 04:38 PM
I have a Tacoma on my car lot for sale right now- it needed nothing in the shop to get it ready for sale. It has 100k on it and going strong! Will make someone a great truck

Valentina_32926
Jun. 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
What about a Subaru Forester? It's part car/part SUV, AWD, decent storage room and decent mileage.