PDA

View Full Version : How Strong Should the Emergency Break on the Truck Be?

ytr45
Jun. 15, 2012, 03:46 PM
I've been wondering about this question. At one time or another I accidentally left the emergency break on and started to drive away. I didn't even feel anything different, but luckily I saw the dashboard light on, so I released the emergency break.

Should the emergency break stop the vehicle in such a situation?

Do I need to bring the truck into the shop to have the emergency break adjusted, just to be safe?

thanks.

lilitiger2
Jun. 15, 2012, 06:28 PM
Emergency brakes are for parking, really. So, i'd go to an incline, stop, set the brake and see if it holds. If it does, great. If not, it might need to be repaired. I left my mom's emergency brake on last year ;) (she was not amused) and it had to be repaired!!

ReSomething
Jun. 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
They are supposed to be able to stall the vehicle. Most of the time they aren't.

Alagirl
Jun. 15, 2012, 06:41 PM
you might have bumped it so you did not have it fully engaged.

I have driven with the emergency brakes on. I did not feel it..but it did got the wheel smoking...

If you have not felt a thing, do have them checked. It can't hurt for sure.

netg
Jun. 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
Having used one to stop a car when the brakes went out in the middle of rush hour traffic, personally I'd take it in to get checked out...

draftdriver
Jun. 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
Get it checked. When I do the circle check on my truck, if the emergency brake is on, the truck won't move when I put it in drive and put my foot on the gas.