PDA

View Full Version : Arena dust control

enjoytheride
Jun. 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
The facility I board at has footing made of decomposed shavings in the indoor arena. It's good footing, not too hard or soft, doesn't need to be dragged.

However, in the summer it gets VERY dusty and dries immedietly after you water it, unless you water it too much then it's slick.

We'd like to add something to the footing to help keep the dust down (Mag I assume), I know there are specific products but I was looking for a generic not used for horses even though it's the same thing so it's cheaper. We were concerned that because it wasn't sand it would hold too much water after we added the mag.

In addition, we use the arena for private turnout of stallions, mares with new foals, and injured horses so it needs to be safe to eat hay off of.

What do you use and how much?

Arena is 60 X 120.

SLR
Jun. 14, 2012, 07:21 PM
http://stoparenadust.com/dust-control-made-easy-with-mag-flakes/

I don't know if I would want to use it though if animals were kept in the arena. They say its safe, but.....
For an all purpose and safety water is probably the best.
I know of a dressage barn near here that used a commercially available vegtable oil, but I don;t know where they got it. Her ring is very nice.

goeslikestink
Jun. 14, 2012, 07:29 PM
The facility I board at has footing made of decomposed shavings in the indoor arena. It's good footing, not too hard or soft, doesn't need to be dragged.

However, in the summer it gets VERY dusty and dries immedietly after you water it, unless you water it too much then it's slick.

We'd like to add something to the footing to help keep the dust down (Mag I assume), I know there are specific products but I was looking for a generic not used for horses even though it's the same thing so it's cheaper. We were concerned that because it wasn't sand it would hold too much water after we added the mag.

In addition, we use the arena for private turnout of stallions, mares with new foals, and injured horses so it needs to be safe to eat hay off of.

What do you use and how much?

Arena is 60 X 120.

water- areana if properly mantian should be harrow and dampened regulary then dust doesnt happen

enjoytheride
Jun. 14, 2012, 08:43 PM
GLS, it is very hot and very humid here and the arena dries out after 2 days and needs to be watered again which takes about an hour since we have to do it by hand or a lawn sprinkler.

Plumcreek
Jun. 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
Use the Mag, and feed horses hay in old large water troughs in the corners. Put the Mag down in small amounts at a time until you are happy with it.