PDA

View Full Version : Crumb rubber arrived not as advertised - what would you do?

keatssu
Jun. 14, 2012, 10:23 AM
I shopped around for crumb rubber and wound up going with a product that was supposedly superior because it has "no fiber." They purport that fiber can cause dust. From what I've read, some people want fiber in the rubber because it can retain moisture. I'm not upset about a little fiber, but I do feel deceived. The rubber I bought was $600 more expensive than the other product I considered.

I sent an email to the salesperson I dealt with. I copied and pasted the description from their website. I stated in a straightforward way that the product is not as advertised. I didn't get nasty or make demands.

I'm seeking opinions.

Hilary
Jun. 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
I'm not clear as to what the problem is - you bought fibre-less rubber but it came with fibre? Or you bought fibre-less rubber and now find out that fibre is beneficial?

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
I think the issue is that the company said no fiber was superior, but then the OP found out that is not the case, some fiber is good, and so the company deceived her by saying their fiber-less rubber was superior.

Your research into their claims of superior rubber would've prevented this issue. I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on.

keatssu
Jun. 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
To clarify, the company states that their product has no fiber. They claim it is better to have fiber-free rubber. My rubber, which I bought from the no-fiber company, at greater expense, DOES have fiber, even though it shouldn't. What bothers me is that the product is not as advertised. I'm not terribly upset about the fiber because it is a small amount.

As it turns out, I received a response from the salesperson who is very surprised and concerned about the presence of fiber in their "fiber-free" product. It seems I'll be able to resolve this with them. He thinks the factory may have been contaminated with fiber containing tires.

hosspuller
Jun. 14, 2012, 12:04 PM
Seems to me ...The only way to get fiber free rubber from used tires is to grind off the tread area. Any side wall material will have fibers from the cord material.

Perhaps they meant no metal fibers from the bead or belt of the tires.

Or are you speaking of rubber from another process / product entirely?