PDA

View Full Version : F-250 Dash Light

dani0303
Jun. 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
I had a dash light (wrench?) come on while hauling horses away from the fire here in CO. My truck didn't come with an owners manual and I don't know what it means. The truck was still running fine and the light went away when I turned it off and has not come back on since.

Does anyone know what this means? Is it related to hauling in poor air quality (VERY smokey)??

If it's helpful, the truck is an 06 with a 6.0L diesel and 135k miles (I know, I know about the 6.0). I've not had any problems with it before or since.

Simkie
Jun. 14, 2012, 12:46 AM
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WO6F23/~MUS~LEN/36/06f23og1e.pdf (http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/%7EWO6F23/%7EMUS%7ELEN/36/06f23og1e.pdf)

"Electronic throttle control: Illuminates when the engine has defaulted to a 'limp-home' operation. Report the fault to an authorized dealer at the earliest opportunity."

That does not sounds good AT ALL :(

lilitiger2
Jun. 14, 2012, 12:52 AM
Air filter?

Which light came on? If its the check engine light, given the conditions, probably not getting enough oxygen, so might have kicked the light on. Glad you got home and its running okay!

dani0303
Jun. 14, 2012, 02:01 AM
It was a wrench. I saw that about the "limp" mode, but the truck kept driving just fine? I still had plenty of power and everything. This happened 5 days ago and it's still running just fine and the light hasn't returned.

I don't have a lot of money to run diagnostics and would rather not take it in if I don't have to, but I'd hate to kill the truck by running it :/

cowboymom
Jun. 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

These guys can tell you. It's a free registration and it's honestly like having a crew of mechanics to answer your questions.

I've had other Fords and the check engine light on them was an emissions sensor; maybe there is something along those lines with your truck considering the smoke.

I just did a search on that forum and "oil cooler" keeps popping up as well as any temperature issues; sticky turbo, filter plug; it also sounds like the truck needs to be reflashed to clear the code. I don't have time to read much more this morning but go there, do a search on it and see what you find. Sounds like it often is a one time deal, hope it is for you! You can call around too and see if there is a not too highbrow mechanic that will pull the codes for you, we had a small town guy that would run the codes for $20 and then I would go to that website and those guys would tell me what the code meant! LOL

Equibrit
Jun. 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Read this; http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23/wrench-warning-light-270828/

dani0303
Jun. 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
I guess I'll bring it in if the light comes on again. Damn, maybe the cursed 6.0 has finally caught up with me :(

Thanks for the help guys.

Frank B
Jun. 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
Some of the auto parts store will run a free engine diagnostic. It would be a good idea to check. Intermittent problems have a nasty habit of reoccurring at the worst possible times (Murphy's Law).

Incidentally, Murphy was an optimist!

GirlGeek
Jun. 17, 2012, 03:04 PM
Just got my 2010 F150 out of the shop yesterday for the same thing (light came on after I dropped the horse & trailer after a show last week.) Fortunately the truck was still under warranty. Codes came up as a bad throttle. The throttle body was replaced. I left the dealership and the light came on again. Took it back and they replaced the air handler (?)

As an aside, they also found a small leak in the transmission. Drained the fluid and replaced a seal that was starting to go bad.

My advice would be to take it to the dealer...in all probability, that light will come on again and you really don't want to be towing when it drops into "limp home" mode (mine dropped me from 70 mph to 45 mph in the fast lane in traffic!)

KMRyan
Jun. 23, 2012, 04:43 PM
You can drive with any dash light on - unless it's blinking. This indicates "engine fail safe" mode or "limp" mode as mentioned above. Newer vehicles can throw an array or codes if not multiples for a dash light. Best to have it plugged into a scan tool to figure out what's up.

This happens with some of the junk on my car lot. Hope it's easily resolved and not too much $

clanter
Jun. 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
our 2011 F350 diesel with less than 15,000 miles has been to the dealership eighteen times for "lights on dash" issues... not bad for a $61,000 truck

I believe Ford is going to buy the puppy back

KMRyan
Jun. 23, 2012, 06:09 PM
our 2011 F350 diesel with less than 15,000 miles has been to the dealership eighteen times for "lights on dash" issues... not bad for a $61,000 truck

I believe Ford is going to buy the puppy back

What a bummer!!! If you're not getting anywhere with your dealership try Natasha at Ford - she is on Facebook and has actually been historically quite helpful at sending major customer service issues up the chain of command. Sounds like a lemon to me! So sorry to hear this :(

clanter
Jun. 23, 2012, 06:25 PM
we went to the zone manager... they have said this last time should have repaired the issue...replaced computer (third time) , switches, ground cables... basically everything hooked to the thing

Because of its repair history Ford has already made concessions for future trade in as we normally trade every two to three years

KMRyan
Jun. 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
we went to the zone manager... they have said this last time should have repaired the issue...replaced computer (third time) , switches, ground cables... basically everything hooked to the thing

Because of its repair history Ford has already made concessions for future trade in as we normally trade every two to three years

So frustrating - glad they are making efforts to take care of you!!

lilitiger2
Jun. 24, 2012, 01:11 AM
Ah, you need to leave the dark side (fords) and come over to the light (Dodges)!:D

dani0303
Jul. 20, 2012, 10:53 PM
Update! I had the light come back on again so I brought it to a diesel mechanic to have the codes read. It was throwing no codes and he found a wire loose that was causing the light to come on. Fixed that and the light has not returned! Horray for easy (and free!!) fixes :D