PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the usefulness of your storage shed

Joyrider
Jun. 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hi All!

We have a good sized 2 car garage. It has nice sturdy wooden shelves at one end and we store the usual crap on them...all sorts of tools, skill saw and other wood implements that have never been out of their boxes, fasteners, various sports equip, kites, outdoor toys, gardening stuff, fishing poles etc. We also store our small lawn tractor and our larger commercial mower in there and a small landscape trailer for the lawn tractor in there. We have a couple of ladders and shovels and hoes and rakes and the usual stuff loke that hanging up on the side walls. Throw in a couple of wheel barrows, gas cans and our trash bins too.

Since we mow in the summer, the cars stay out and the lawn tractor and comm mower take up the two bays.

In the winter, my husband does an incredible thing. He wedges the mowers and little trailer in the very back sideways and we move the wheel barrows to the celler and the cars just fit. He is the "master packer" of all time.

So...I suppose we do not really "need" one of those big sheds that live out in the back yard but I saw a couple on Craigslist for cheap and wanted to hear your opinions!

JB
Jun. 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Trust me, if you can get an economical shed, you WILL find it useful!

Store wheelbarrows for the Winter? What's that? LOLOL!

lilitiger2
Jun. 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
We love ours! DH got a $100 shed for the mowers, weedeaters, ramps, and so forth (wheelbarrow gets used all year long!!). It ain't pretty but it doesn't leak!! We have a nice two car garage,but it has never seen any of our vehicles!!:)

trubandloki
Jun. 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
Our shed is never empty.

If we did not have it our garage for sure would not have room for a car (and a tractor, yes the two car garage has one car and one tractor).

In the summer the shed houses winter stuff, in the winter the shed houses summer stuff.

ETA - It has held up well too. We bought it on clearance way back when Chase Pitkins closed. Put it up at our old house and moved it to our new house.

goodhors
Jun. 13, 2012, 01:59 PM
Get the biggest shed you can manage.

As mentioned, we do the summer stuff storage in winter, winter stuff inside during summer. It will be LOTS easier if things have an allotted location, so they get returned there year around.

ReSomething
Jun. 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
The place I started riding again had three that served as tack rooms. They were a little hot in the summer and damp in the winter but they definitely were useful!

bits619
Jun. 16, 2012, 01:23 PM
^same here. My old barn uses a large shed as a tack room for the schoolies. It has two windows that stay open (plus the door) for ventilation.

I personally would have one in a second if it meant freeing up a car garage! Our house has an old barn we use for storage (sadly not housing horses any longer). Dog crates, ride-a-mower, agility equipment.... I would love a car port or garage though!!

ww3467
Jun. 16, 2012, 10:07 PM
We were doing something similar to you - wedging lawn tractor, etc. in the back in the winter in order to fit in both cars and leaving one car out in the summer. We finally broke down and bought a shed this spring, and I wish we had done it sooner! Also agree with getting the biggest one you can - whatever size you get is guaranteed to fill up!