PDA

View Full Version : New Farm Owner in Monroe County PA

Zenyatta
Jun. 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
I just purchased a 10 acre farm in Monroe County PA.
I'm not from the area and I don't know where anything is. I need to find a hay and feed supplier, vet and a blacksmith.
Horses are not at the farm yet, but I would like to have everything in order, prior to moving them in.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.:D

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jun. 12, 2012, 02:30 PM
Congrats!

(No idea on any of your questions though)

AlexS
Jun. 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
I am not close enough to Monroe to give personal recommendations, but there's a PA Equine Council Directory

http://pennsylvaniaequinecouncil.org/edirectory.php

Nezzy
Jun. 12, 2012, 05:14 PM
Hi i just moved out of Monroe County. Which area are you in? my Farrier is Excellent Gabe Nonnemaker 570-688-3498. The vet i use is very good, i don't know if they will come to you they are in Bethlehem, so if you are closer to the lehigh valley they will. Dr Edgar Balliet and Asso. 610_262-3203. if they are not able to get to you, Cross River is also very good- in Bangor and they will probably come to you. 610-588-9467. Good Luck

Another Great farrier is Boyd Gannon Jr and his Daughter Beth is in training now. i do not know if they will take anyone new. They live in Kunkletown. 610-381-3213

Oh, Hay? i am not sure who even has hay right now. it has been a bad year for it. i will see if i can find out. You can also call the Mountain Road feed store in Reeders. they sometimes have hay and might know a dealer. 570-629-1916

cutter99
Jun. 12, 2012, 07:29 PM
Second for Gabe Nonnemaker and Cross Rivers Vet Clinic and Dr. Laurie Wessel!

lawndart
Jun. 13, 2012, 11:31 PM
I used to live in Monroe County, but it has been a while :D Boyd Gannon was my first farrier over 30 years ago, glad to hear he is still kickin :eek: and shoeing.

Smale's Farm Store on Route 534 carries feed, and I'm pretty sure hay. Even if they don't they can tell you who does :yes:

I guess it depends on which part of Monroe County you are in. I know Brodheadsville has a Tractor Supply now, as does Nazareth. They usually have a bulletin board near the restrooms that people will list hay for sale.

Nezzy
Jun. 14, 2012, 07:17 AM
I used to live in Monroe County, but it has been a while :D Boyd Gannon was my first farrier over 30 years ago, glad to hear he is still kickin :eek: and shoeing.

Smale's Farm Store on Route 534 carries feed, and I'm pretty sure hay. Even if they don't they can tell you who does :yes:

I guess it depends on which part of Monroe County you are in. I know Brodheadsville has a Tractor Supply now, as does Nazareth. They usually have a bulletin board near the restrooms that people will list hay for sale.

was it Boyd Sr or Jr? I think Sr Retired a while ago.

lawndart
Jun. 14, 2012, 07:35 AM
It was Boyd Sr., I had forgotten there was a Boyd Jr. Whew!
:lol:

Zenyatta
Jun. 14, 2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all the info!!:winkgrin:

Nezzy
Jun. 14, 2012, 09:32 AM
sent you a pm

rtrules
Jun. 15, 2012, 08:47 AM
Sent you a pm also.

Nezzy
Jun. 15, 2012, 05:18 PM
we could help you better if we knew where you are in monroe. it is a big place and some farriers/vets won't be able to travel.

Zenyatta
Jun. 18, 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm in Brodheadsville area.:D

Nezzy
Jun. 19, 2012, 05:14 PM
ok, Farriers i mentioned Should be able to get to you, and Dr Wessells group at Cross River should come to you also, but not sure about Dr Balliets' group. The reason i like Dr Balliets group is b/c the vets do dental and Tera Forbeck actually enjoys doing dental. it saves on the cost of sedation if you need your horse sedated like i do. and they always have a fall special for dental work. usually 10% off.