PDA

View Full Version : Dogs & Pigs

SmallHerd
Jun. 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
As my son said last weekend, "there is ALWAYS something new going on at the farm!".

Latest is that the neighbor's pet pig (Patty) has decided she wants to live in my barn. She is a total escape artist and has been getting out of her pen and coming to my house every day for the past week. The neighbor will come and get her, but inevitably the pig shows back up.

I don't really mind. The horses are now used to her and she really is just a pet. She loves to be scratched and likes to wallow around in my pond and cleans up any spilled grain in the stalls. She is also very used to dogs and cats, and doesn't really pay much attention to them.

My question is about my dogs and their reaction to her.

The older dog does not care for her (he doesn't know WHAT that IS!!), but just follows her around as if he is keeping an eye on her. If we pet her when the dog is around, he gives her a warning snap - curled lip and a small snap. She will let out a loud GRUNT and he then backs off and goes back to following her around. We also correct him - NO BITE - and he backs down.

The younger dog is too curious for his own good and I am not sure how things could end up.

Not knowing much about BIG pigs, what can I expect from her if he gets too close, to curious, or even snaps at her? Do pigs fight back, run away, attack? Just looking for a little pig insight.

THANKS!!

cutter99
Jun. 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
They will fight back and "roll" the offender. They could do damage to a dog if they have to. We have full size pigs (we raise show pigs) and our pigs do not aggresively pursue any other animals, but I do think they would defend themselves if attacked.

Big_Grey_hunter
Jun. 12, 2012, 08:43 PM
I think it depends on the pig. Some will run, others will attack. A pig can do some serious damage if it attacks, those tusks are sharp and they are strong and fast. I sometimes petsit two pigs. One (young male) runs from confrontation, the other is an old sow, and she charges me if I do something that pisses her off.

Regardless of whether it runs or attacks, the pig will scream bloody murder loud enough to be heard for several miles :lol:

SmallHerd
Jun. 12, 2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks so much!!

This sow is really domesticated. She was raised inside the owners house with dogs and cats. Outside there are goats, another pig, and horses. My animals don't really bother her - she mostly ignores them.

So today she and the older dog wandered down to our pond. She walked in and got wet, he went swimming. When done, they both came back up to the barn. Buddies maybe?

This morning when I left for work I was curious if she was back. I walked to the barn door and called out "Good morning Patty Pig! Are you here?" She responded with an oinking grunt and went back to scavenging the dropped pieces of grain.

I have chased her out of the barn before and she does not charge. Yelling her name is a mean tone gets her attention and she runs away. She doesn't seem interested in confrontation, just FOOD. :)

And she is NOT lazy - she is always on the move, walking around the farm. When she does get tired, she goes into my small barn aisle and takes a nap.

So I guess I just need to keep a close eye on things until her owners can figure out how to keep her enclosed.

It's always sumpthin' roun' heya!

Chall
Jun. 13, 2012, 03:55 AM
Congratulations in your new addition:lol:

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 13, 2012, 08:10 AM
It sounds like you kind of enjoy having her around! You're going to miss her when the owners figure out how to keep her home!

ReSomething
Jun. 13, 2012, 01:40 PM
Our pigs are denizens of destruction, but they can be quite fun to have around. Acouple of them used to sit for treats, and one would lean up against you looking for belly rubs, like a dog. That got interesting once she got heavier than we were.

As long as she doesn't start rooting you'll be good I think.

shireluver
Jun. 13, 2012, 01:48 PM
I asked this question in Off Course and only got a couple responses. Anybody have an experience with donkeys and pigs pastured together?

cutter99
Jun. 13, 2012, 01:54 PM
I have a friend who has pot belly pigs in with her horses. They even share stalls at times and she has never had a problem with them being mixed. I think it also depends on the horses- I have two cutting horses who were trained on cattle and goats and they tend to want to chase animals that are smaller than them.

Another issue with pastured pigs is that they do like to root and can make quite a mess of a pasture.

SuperSTB
Jun. 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
We have a PB Pig. LOVES to go to the barn but we don't let her very often since she will consume whatever alfalfa she can get a hold of. That means an overweight piggy with a belly ache from eating too much.

For the most part she stays away from the horses. She does however recognize each horse individually which just amazes me. She will approach 3 of the horses from the fence side an touch noses if they let her. She will not go near one of the mare- which can be aggressive at times. Smart smart smart pig.

As to dogs- some pigs will protect themselves and charge at dogs. Pigs can bite and HURT. They will also plow dogs over. Of course pigs and dogs have different behaviors and communicating skills which can lead to an escalation quickly if things start to go wrong.

As to Donkeys- I would be hesitant to let them mingle unless I was pretty confident that they would be fine together.

ReSomething
Jun. 13, 2012, 04:39 PM
I asked this question in Off Course and only got a couple responses. Anybody have an experience with donkeys and pigs pastured together?

The neighbor's donkey has visited us from time to time and there seem to be no issues but I can't say they are pastured together, more like on other sides of the fence. They seem more to ignore each other than anything else.
Both my Saddlebred horses were unimpressed by the pigs and have been pastured with them (sort of accidentally). My next door neighbor's mares however, thought they were some sort of short legged freaks and took weeks to get over the spooking and snorting.

MelantheLLC
Jun. 13, 2012, 08:02 PM
Pigs can actually learn to manipulate a joystick and comprehend that what they see on a screen corresponds to how they move the stick.

This is something dogs can't figure out. Apes can.

Does that help? ;)

rustbreeches
Jun. 13, 2012, 08:08 PM
Just make sure you have a sign clearly stating that you don't rent pigs

Big_Tag
Jun. 13, 2012, 09:11 PM
Pigs can actually learn to manipulate a joystick and comprehend that what they see on a screen corresponds to how they move the stick.

This is something dogs can't figure out. Apes can.

Does that help? ;)

I was just talking to a friend this weekend about how it blows my mind that one of our largest "consumption" animals is also one of our most intelligent.

SmallHerd
Jun. 14, 2012, 10:25 AM
Mr. Big Dog and Miss Pig had a fight last night. Miss Pig declared the barn aisle HER territory and chased the dog out of the barn. He took it for a few seconds and pushed her back. I heard awful noises and saw them checking each other (like hockey players) and the dog was flashing his teeth. I called him off (Thank God he listens well!) and ran her off. No wounds, but it scared me a bit, as it could have very easily escalated. So now when I see Miss Pig in the barn aisle, I run her out. It is the dog's farm, not hers. :)

Her owner came over to get her yesterday afternoon but couldn't find her. Miss Pig came back in the evening then disappeared when I ran her off after their fight. Of course, she was back this morning during feeding time, and again I ran her out of the barn aisle. She and Big Dog didn't have any issues, but I ran interference.

While we are quite entertained by having a pig at the farm and I really look forward to her antics, I need to be able to know that ALL of our animals peacefully co-exist. I already have 2 dogs that do not get along, and live via Crate & Rotate. I don't need the added stress or responsiblity or vet bill if something goes wrong. It could have gone horribly wrong last night - I don't want to know what could have happened. If it would have been the other dog, one of them would have seriously been hurt at best.

Owner is coming over this morning to take her home to her new reinforced pen. If she doesn't stay put, she will find Miss Pig a new home.

The saga continues.

SuperSTB
Jun. 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
I was just talking to a friend this weekend about how it blows my mind that one of our largest "consumption" animals is also one of our most intelligent.

And because I know of such pig intelligence first hand- was the tipping point for me going veggie (then vegan). Just can't think about the thousands- nay millions of pigs kept in factory farming conditions.

My pig is literally the 3rd child in the family. I can't even begin to describe what she can do, all the different words she recognizes and responds to, and the depth of her personality in comparison to dogs/cats/horses.

SuperSTB
Jun. 20, 2012, 11:44 AM
Mr. Big Dog and Miss Pig had a fight last night. Miss Pig declared the barn aisle HER territory and chased the dog out of the barn. He took it for a few seconds and pushed her back. I heard awful noises and saw them checking each other (like hockey players) and the dog was flashing his teeth. I called him off (Thank God he listens well!) and ran her off. No wounds, but it scared me a bit, as it could have very easily escalated. So now when I see Miss Pig in the barn aisle, I run her out. It is the dog's farm, not hers. :)

Her owner came over to get her yesterday afternoon but couldn't find her. Miss Pig came back in the evening then disappeared when I ran her off after their fight. Of course, she was back this morning during feeding time, and again I ran her out of the barn aisle. She and Big Dog didn't have any issues, but I ran interference.

While we are quite entertained by having a pig at the farm and I really look forward to her antics, I need to be able to know that ALL of our animals peacefully co-exist. I already have 2 dogs that do not get along, and live via Crate & Rotate. I don't need the added stress or responsiblity or vet bill if something goes wrong. It could have gone horribly wrong last night - I don't want to know what could have happened. If it would have been the other dog, one of them would have seriously been hurt at best.

Owner is coming over this morning to take her home to her new reinforced pen. If she doesn't stay put, she will find Miss Pig a new home.

The saga continues.

Yes, the dog issue can be tricky. You are so right in asking her owners to reinforce their fencing and keep pig to the right yard. My pig definitely has 'her areas'- like her own bed and part of the yard. Like a 2yo with their favorite toy, she will pitch a fit if one of the dogs uses her bed.

I would not feel comfortable letting my pig roam around... they can get into trouble so easily.

SmallHerd
Jun. 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
Just an update . . .

Miss Pig has been home for a few days, and I have not seen her at all. Her new reinforced area must be working! Whew!

mbj
Jun. 25, 2012, 11:23 PM
we have a potbelly female who came to us because she jumped out and wandered off down a busy road when her former owners were off their farm. We are on a quiet road and have a looong driveway,so when she goes visiting it is safer. She is highly social,and if there isn't much action at our barn she visits the neighbors. Gets on great with our dogs and horses,tho some visiting horses are frightened at the sight of her. While the pig we had growing up--regular size,had a nose ring to prevent rooting,this PBP doesn't seem to root,and she too is "free range".She generally sleeps with one of her favorite horses in the stall. She is partial to tall dark and handsome geldings,and has made flower bedecked bowers in the corner of her favorite's stall.Great at cleaning up spilled grain. Gentle.