PDA

View Full Version : For those who don't have fancy arena watering systerms

REH
Jun. 12, 2012, 08:30 AM
what do you use to water your ring short of built-in sprinklers or tractor mounted water tank sprayers?

I'd like to water my ring more often, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on something fancy or something that's going to tie up a tractor with something attached to it as I don't have barn help to help attach and unattach farm equipment regularly.

I was thinking about just running a bunch of hoses together to the ring and running a sprinkler--does anyone do this? Anything else? If so,have you found a sprinkler with a great "coverage" or spray?

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

fjordmom
Jun. 12, 2012, 08:45 AM
Yup, simple hose & sprinkler. I've used one of those lawn sprinklers that makes a 60+ ft diameter circle, set it a foot or 2 above the ground on an turned over bucket. Now I have one with telescoping legs that gets about 80 ft out. You can find them at Lowe's/Home Depot, etc.

Either way, you'll get full coverage of the area (minus a few small triangles where the circles don't overlap.) I did 3 (or now 2) sets - one in the middle and one at about each quarter from the ends. Works like a charm for my indoor (outdoor is grass).

I just let it run while I clean stalls & do chores. Move every 20 -30 minutes. Watering is done by the time I need to fill stall buckets. Cheap, efficient & easy, easy - hardest part is winding the hose back on the cart; not a big deal.

retreadeventer
Jun. 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
Ugh. I hate watering my ring, running hoses, moving every 15 minutes to different spot...and it doesn't really help much in terms of softening my footing (that's another issue). I really wish I had funds to run pvc pipe attached to my fence with sprinkler heads every so many feet that were set to water from the fence side into the ring and all I had to do was turn on the spigot, or even set it up on a timer. If anyone has ever set up such a system, I'd love to hear from you.

kashmere
Jun. 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
Me, a hose, and my thumb overtop the hose to make it spray. :lol: We are a high class operation, for sure.

mg
Jun. 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
...I just wait until it rains. I'm lazy.

RedmondDressage
Jun. 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
I like the sprinklers that spray in a round pattern (rather than the arc sprinklers). We've always used them in our outdoor, and had two mounted upside down in the covered arena at our last property. Worked great!

2DogsFarm
Jun. 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
For my 60X120 indoor I used 150' of garden hose with a sprayhead attached & me spending maybe 1/2 hour walking from the far end back to the attached barn.
Worked fine if you have spare time...

I like fjordmom's suggestion of the sprinkler on stand and may adopt that for myself ;)

mroades
Jun. 13, 2012, 08:11 PM
tripod sprinklers