PDA

View Full Version : Stars with Horses....

VWScully
Apr. 5, 2000, 12:55 PM
Hey I was just thinking of this while putting off my homework /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
What movie stars, famous Hollywood actors have horses? I know William Shatner (Capt. Kirk) breeds and shows Saddlebreds. Patrick Stewart (Capt. Picard) - (can you tell I like Star Trek? ;-) ), also rides and has even been shown riding in his role as Capt. Picard.
Who else???
p.s. this is more fun than homework! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VWScully
Apr. 5, 2000, 12:55 PM
Hey I was just thinking of this while putting off my homework /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
What movie stars, famous Hollywood actors have horses? I know William Shatner (Capt. Kirk) breeds and shows Saddlebreds. Patrick Stewart (Capt. Picard) - (can you tell I like Star Trek? ;-) ), also rides and has even been shown riding in his role as Capt. Picard.
Who else???
p.s. this is more fun than homework! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Duffy
Apr. 5, 2000, 01:05 PM
Patrick Swayze and his wife have Arabians, I believe. I saw him ride on some maybe OLN show and he was very good and really seemed to adore the horses.

And who can forget Bo Derek on the Andulusian (sp?) for an exhibition at one of the indoors many moons ago.

I believe Richard Gere and Julia Roberts ride too (and not just in the movies). You got to believe that Robert Redford probably has horses too.

AHC
Apr. 5, 2000, 01:12 PM
Yes, Richard Gere rides. He has a farm someplace in northern Westchester, NY (a kid from my barn worked there last summer).

I'm not sure whether Julia Roberts rides now, but the riding scenes in one of her recent movies (I can't think of which one at the moment) were filmed at Lionshare Farm in Greenwich, CT. It's Peter Leone's place and it's absolutely gorgeous.

For those of you in NY, Robin whose last name I can't remember at the moment who is Howard Stern's partner on his morning radio show took up riding a few years ago and has competed at the celebrity class at the National a couple of times.

Linda Blair, star of "The Exorcist" for those of you old enough to remember, rode and competed as a child and I think still rides today. I remember her having an absolutely gorgeous bay pony hunter.

I think Wayne Newton has Arabians and also for some reason remember Victoria Principal having some involvement with horses.

Just My Style
Apr. 5, 2000, 01:19 PM
Not a movie star, but a celebrity- Shania Twain rides and I even heard that she couldn't stand to be away form her horse for long periods of time when she is touring, so on occassion, he travels with her.

Just My Style
Apr. 5, 2000, 01:27 PM
One more.
Not a movie star, but a politician.
Governor Christine Whitman of New Jersey is a rider. I believe that she fox hunts regularly and I saw her ride at Festival of Champions in the Celebrity class. Robin Quivers (Howard Sterns sidekick) was one of the others. Unfortunately, I can't remember the other celebrities (I know one was a soap star).

GrayHorseStudio
Apr. 5, 2000, 01:48 PM
Michael Douglas has a place out here that accomodates horses (never been close enough to see if there are actually any there though...), Rick Schroeder has a big ranch in western CO, and I assume he has horses on it. Don Henley and Don Johnson had horses when they lived here, they've since moved away.

relocatedTXjumpr
Apr. 5, 2000, 01:54 PM
joan rivers daughter melissa bought one of the horses at our barn a few years ago, her and her new husband met at a horse show, i think. i want to know what they paid for him!!!

Coreene
Apr. 5, 2000, 01:57 PM
Joan Lunden shows. Remember the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry," with the line "the bubble-headed bleach blonde who comes on at five?" Christine Lund; she shows in So Cal (usually B show). Michael Ovitz's daughter, Steve Bond, actually there are masses of "stars" who show. Or ride. Lots of shows at LAEC have a big celebrity riding contingent.

Dizzy Cow
Apr. 5, 2000, 03:11 PM
Joan Lundon and her daughter both ride, jamie recently got hurt in FL. also Bruce Springsteen rides western, his wife patty rides hunters with Beacon Hill, Sting rides, Tommy Lee Jones plays polo, Kelly Klein (ex wife of Calvin) shows in the hunters, Just about everybody loves our sport....!

Heather
Apr. 5, 2000, 03:17 PM
I've got a few more:

Authors Rita May Brown and Jane Smiley.

Pop singer Jewel.

Sting was married on horseback.

Wayne Newton has arabs and race horses.

Pavorotti (sp?) has horses and actually helped susbsidise the WEG's in his native Italy by holding a benefit concert.

Joe Montana and his wife have horses, and in fact purchased the high money horse at on of the Oak's auction's a few years back.

Oliver North's daughter Tate rides.

bayrider
Apr. 5, 2000, 03:34 PM
I saw Heuy Lewis at Indio this year (I think that his daughter rides)
Shannen Doherty
Alfre Woodard's(Scrooged, Passion Fish) daughter rides

Bumpkin
Apr. 5, 2000, 03:47 PM
Paul Newman's daughter use to show, so did Stanley Kramer and Leslie Nielsen's daughters. Didn't Brooke Shields use to show Hunters? Cece Durante is Jimmy's daughter and she is still training in California. Stacy VanDyke use to show Western Pleasure.

AMom
Apr. 5, 2000, 04:00 PM
Joe and Jennifer Montana show hunters and jumpers and I know Joe also has competitive cutting horses. Charles Bronson's daughter also used to show(maybe still does?). And of course Teddi Jo Mellancamp (I know, not movie stars, but celebrities!).

Duffy
Apr. 5, 2000, 04:01 PM
OMG, I remember Paul Newman giving me a quarter for ice cream from the Good Humor man at Fairfield EONS ago!! I was there watching a friend ride.

buryinghill2
Apr. 5, 2000, 04:03 PM
Horse scenes in the film "Stepmom", starring Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon, were filmed at the Nielsens beautiful Sunnyfield Farm in Bedford N.Y.

Squirt
Apr. 5, 2000, 04:10 PM
Let's see who I can remember that wasn't already mentioned. Montel either Williams or Jordan, which ever one has the talk show owns hunters. And remember M.C. Hammer? well he used to own a couple of race TBs. One of them ran in the Kentucky Derby awhile back.
That's all that I can remember right now http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif

Anne FS
Apr. 5, 2000, 04:41 PM
Howard Stern's sidekick is Robin Givens. She rode a demo ride at the National in NYC a few years ago.

John Mellencamp's daughter rides - she was at our barn when she was in Harrisburg for the PA National last Fall.

I think that both Robert Duvall and Sissy Spacek have farms in VA. I read a number of years ago that Ms. Spacek had "a horse farm." I think that Ted Turner and Jane Fonda (I know, they're splitting)have horses on their ranch.

Mel Gibson rides.

Anne FS
Apr. 5, 2000, 04:48 PM
Sorry, CWP already mentioned Mellencamp.

I saw a TV interview with Kelsey Grammer and his second wife shortly after they were married. It was in front of a picture window with a view of horses in the pasture outside.

I know that some famous country singers have horses. I can't remember names but more than once I've been channel surfing when the site of horses made me stop at TNN where an interview with some country-western singer was in progress and they would show the horses he had, but I never can remember who these guys are.

Of course Ronald Reagan was a rider.

Bumpkin
Apr. 5, 2000, 04:57 PM
Jenny Craig had/has race horses, she bought the English Derby winner one year, for her husband. I think she bought the horse just weeks before the race! She lives in Del Mar of course!! haha

Anne FS
Apr. 5, 2000, 04:59 PM
Jack Klugman also owned (owns?)race horses.

OlmosHeaven
Apr. 5, 2000, 05:55 PM
Country singer George Strait has roping horses and Tommy Lee Jones has a ranch and plays polo.

Those of you my generation (which I won't elaborate on) will remember actor Tab Hunter. Last time I saw him was at a Houston hunter and jumper show as a trainer. He and Jodie Foster (but it might have been Linda Blair) did some kind of celebrity ride off in which they rode mirror-image courses on jumpers against the clock and each other. It was on TV sometime in the '70s. Don't remember who won.

Don't forget our former president, Ronald Reagan, and his ranch horses.

Bing Crosby was a big racing fan. And there's the late Fred Astaire, also a racing fan, who married an ex-jockey, Robin Smith.

Lionheart
Apr. 5, 2000, 06:04 PM
Barbara Eden (I Dream of Jeannie) has a huge horse estate by my house. she even has an exercise track which would lead you to believe that she has race horses, but the thing is so over grown that i dont know if she does anything with the ones she has.

Black Market Radio
Apr. 5, 2000, 06:06 PM
Billy Crystal fell so in love with his horse from City Slickers that he now owns him.
Other famous riders:
Julia Roberts DOES ride
Kevin Costner did all his own riding in Dances with Wolves
Jennie Garth from 90210 grew up on a horse breeding farm
Patrick Swayze has an awesome Arabian Stallion
If I think of any more I will post them!

marianne
Apr. 5, 2000, 06:10 PM
Ok, someone mentioned Tab Hunter. I believe James Drury (The Virginian) rode dressage in the Houston area a few years back.

Portia
Apr. 5, 2000, 07:34 PM
Kate Capshaw, the actress and Mrs. Steven Spielberg, is having Linda Allen design and build a private stable and training facility on their property.

salsalito
Apr. 5, 2000, 07:54 PM
Mark Paul Gosslar (Zack on saved by the bell, for all you young peeps!) owns three horses, and rides western!

How could anyone not metion this already, i am deeply offended :P The two GREATEST countyr singers, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill own four horses and their own barn i believe. That is all I can think of now!

Squirt
Apr. 5, 2000, 08:36 PM
Hey, I just remembered someone else to add to my list! Oprah breeds Quarter Horses on her ranch in Michigan some where, and Whoopie Goldberg has some on her ranch in Vermont I believe.

Bumpkin
Apr. 5, 2000, 09:03 PM
Keanu Reeves sister showed horses and the same with KD Langs sister.

Just My Style
Apr. 5, 2000, 09:38 PM
FYI-
Howard Sterns sidekick is Robin Quivers- not Robin Givens. Robin Givens is the girl that was the show "Head of the Class" and was married to Mike Tyson. She now hosts "Forgive or Forget".

Not that I am the queen of useless trivia or anything...

Jody
Apr. 5, 2000, 10:33 PM
Vanessa Williams, the former Ms America and singer/actress has ridden hunters and showed at a celebraty class at the National Horse show in NY! Forgot when! Old age!

Debbie Stephens was quoted as saying years ago, when she was riding a hunter, Tab Hunter came up and asked to sit on her horse. She agreed and to this day, talks about how she special that was!

Anne Lockhart (June Lockhart's daughter) from the show on "Starship Galactaca", rides and owns cutting horses.

Joe Montana and his wife purchased the stallion "Chaka Kahn" from Joan Irvine Smith and the "Oaks stable"

New Jersey mayor, Chrisitne Todd Whitman rides hunters and fox hunts!

Tom Seleck rides western. He was also a guest of honor at the Spruce Meadows Masters Tournament in 1999!

more to come later when my question on the horse trivia is answered.. so I don't give it away!

Anne
Apr. 5, 2000, 10:54 PM
Patrick and Lisa's gorgeous Arabian stallion was a chestnut named Tammen. He died not too too long ago. I'm NOT an Arabian person (not that there's anything wrong with that http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif ), but I'll never forget the posters of Tammen and a bare-chested Patrick that got sold at Arabian Nationals one year. Hummmm! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Anne (edited 04-06-2000).]

Jody
Apr. 5, 2000, 11:10 PM
Anne... Is it possible to still get copies of this poster???? Patrick is gorgeous and so was his stallion! I would be in heaven... lol!

Duffy
Apr. 5, 2000, 11:40 PM
I'll bet those posters were hot ticket items!! There is something about him. . .I still drool when watching Ghost and Dirty Dancing. Sorry, back to the horses. . .

kissy
Apr. 5, 2000, 11:55 PM
I saw Jane Seymour, AKA Dr Quinn, at indio a few years back, i think it was her daughter doing the riding. And we Saw Kelsey Grammar (frasier) at GTE (in CA) and i think he owned a horse in the grandprix-but i don't remember the horses name or rider. And Meryl streep comes to some shows-but because she is friends with the Gonda's, don't think she is actually involved with horses. Joe Montana was across the aisle from us at Indio the last few weeks!

[This message has been edited by kissy (edited 04-06-2000).]

dublin
Apr. 5, 2000, 11:55 PM
Mel Blount, a Hall of Fame football player
for the Pittsburgh Steelers, has a ranch, and
competes in cutting horse competitions.

barngirl
Apr. 5, 2000, 11:56 PM
Sylvester Stallon (sp?) plays polo... I believe Oprah's ranch/estate is in Indiana... I use to live in South Bend, IN and she had a big farm in Laporte,IN. I assume that would be were her horses are too. She also is a huge Golden retriever fan.
I believe that Mellisa Gilbert ( despite starring in that silly event movie>>.) owns and rides. I saw on E! that Angie Everhart ( super model) likes horses, western, though after seeing her ride, I am not really sure if you could have called it riding.
I also know that Motel Williams does own hunters in Holly, Michigan. He is at a fairly well to do barn... I beleive it is called Foxwoode Farms, and they have a pretty nice website even if they do drop Montel's name alittle.
I also heard that Morgan Freeman fell in love with the horse he rode in "Robin Hood"and bought it... from the way he talked he was not a horse person until after having to train and learn how to ride for 3 weeks. Guess he caught the bug!!!
Can't think of any more right now.

N&B&T
Apr. 5, 2000, 11:57 PM
Tennis player (to say the least!) Martina Hingis enjoys jumping...

Storybook
Apr. 6, 2000, 12:21 AM
No one yet has mentioned Glenn Close. She rides with Lendon Gray. If you look closely in one of Lendon's Practical Horseman articles (one on preparing for a show), Glenn Close is an "audience member" on a bay horse in the background.

I also think that Kelly LeBrock (model/actress & the former Mrs. Steven Seagal) rides. Have no idea where this came from...

Jeb
Apr. 6, 2000, 01:11 AM
Cool thread! I remember seeing Linda Blair and Patrick Swayze on OLN, talking about their riding. I too, zeroed in on Kelsey Grammer's interview with the horses in the background. (Do I watch too much TV?) Martha Stewart did a segment on her show on driving...she HAS to be horsey, she's mastered everything else. Hmm...she'd most likely do dressage. (Say, now that's a thread idea: celebrities that don't ride, but if they did, what breed/discipline would they ride? Courtney Love...definitely eventing material...on a Connemara! Sorry, got carried away!!) Guess I'll go watch some more E!...

HunterPonyRider
Apr. 6, 2000, 07:19 AM
I have met Bruce Springsteen at several horse shows! His little girl rides in mini-stirrup. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Heather
Apr. 6, 2000, 11:20 AM
Sorry, as an affirmed sci-fi geek I have to inform you that the show was "Battlestar Galactica" not "Starship Galactica."

VWScully
Apr. 6, 2000, 11:35 AM
Hee hee, I noticed that too! Geeks unite! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Margaret Freeman
Apr. 6, 2000, 12:15 PM
Tami Hoag, the mystery writer, is doing so much dressage now she doesn't have as much time to write.

Gennifer
Apr. 6, 2000, 12:46 PM
Robert Wagner (remember Hart to Hart?) used to have Arab cutting horses. I saw him at Nationals in 1987, back when I used to do the Arabs.

I also had the pleasure of seeing Patrick Swayze bare-chested, in the flesh, so to speak /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif in 1986 at regionals in Dallas. I was 16, it was a very nice sight!! He's so down to earth, he was helping unload the trailer, carrying a tack trunk in jeans, shirtless. Ahhh, fond memory. His trainer stalled next to us, so we chatted off & on for about 2 weeks (A show before and Regionals). Very cool! I also met his wife. Very nice lady.

I got to meet Paul Newman once, too, and saw Wayne Newton, surrounded by bodyguards. Haven't met any celebs in the H/J scene yet, but maybe at the World Cup. I'll keep my eyes peeled!

lisa
Apr. 6, 2000, 03:13 PM
I seem to remember reading that Julia Roberts didn't ride until she started taking lessons for her role in a movie ("Conspiracy Theory"?). I remember seeing a picture of her on a horse being longed.

Has anybody mentioned Robert Duvall?

Roy Clark (remember Hee Haw?) has a horse farm, but I don't know if he rides.

PepTalk
Apr. 6, 2000, 03:42 PM
Hey, Jody! The year that Venessa Williams showed at Madison Square Garden was 1996. The only reason I know that was because I have that show on tape and the T.V. reporter did an interview with her! And who can ever forget Julie Krone, the great FEMALE jockey that won the Belmont in 1993! She was riding her jumper or hunter in the celebrity class too. I love the horse's name though, it was Peter Rabbit! What a cute name! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lily
Apr. 6, 2000, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know what Julie Krone is up to? I know she retired from racing, but is she still riding jumpers?

Anne FS
Apr. 6, 2000, 03:53 PM
Cashmere, of course you are right about Robin Quivers on the Howard Stern show! LOL! What on EARTH was I thinking that I typed Robin Givens????

Anne
Apr. 6, 2000, 04:01 PM
Re the poster, I doubt it's still available. I *think* it was in the very early '90s, maybe 91??? And they sold FAST!

Sandy M
Apr. 6, 2000, 06:35 PM
One of the funniest things I read was many years ago in TV Guide where they asked the movie/tv wranglers to evaluate all the cowboy stars. They declared that the best riders at that time were Glenn Ford and Dale Robertson. That James Arness probably could have been a good rider, but he was so big, it was difficult. They said James Garner rode pretty well, but he had learned "English" so he posted. The funniest was that the late Richard Boone, star of "Have Gun, Will Travel" hadn't ridden much (if at all) prior to being signed to do that series. He took a lot of lessons with the stock contractors of picture and got to thinking he was pretty good, so then they had him try bareback, and he found out he wasn't quite as good as he thought. Mmmm--- Dennis Weaver is supposed to be pretty good - that was his own horse he used in those Bank S & L -and of course, Tab Hunter did show Hunters and Jumpers. Linda Blair rode huntseat, I believe, and Julie Kavner (Rhoda's sister, Marge Simpson's voice) did (does?) dressage. Both Jane Fonda and Candice Bergen were avid riders in their youth.

Becca
Apr. 6, 2000, 06:43 PM
Paul Newmans daughter rode (Shenandoah Firestine(?)) and she would always try to trade her with my mom for her large (Foolishly, mom never did *G* Thats ture love). Paul owned Old Salem for quite some time, and I do believe the famous money pit painting was him, isn't it?

Glenn Closs and her daughter both ride.

And on a sidebar, isn't Lionshare gorgous? I also heard rumor that Peter recently sold?

Reckoning
Apr. 6, 2000, 07:00 PM
Clea Newman STILL rides. She does the A/O jumpers with Peter Leone. Peter sold his farm in West Palm, and bought a new one down the road. Lionshare in Ct. still belongs to Peter.

Duffy
Apr. 6, 2000, 07:45 PM
Linda Blair did ride huntseat very well at the old Nimrod Farm w/ Ronnie Mutch. Evidently, the director from The Exorcist gave her this horse, he was a gorgeous chestnut, but we all figured he might be possessed. He was crazy! (I guess you had to be there, silly teenagers we all were at the time! LOL)

Lily
Apr. 6, 2000, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure if she still rides, but I remember seeing Randy Quaid's wife Evi at the Hampton Classic- I think she showed jumpers.

L Scott
Apr. 6, 2000, 10:11 PM
Clint Eastwood looks mighty fine on a horse if you ask me. Tatum O'Neil was in American Pie wasn't she.

AHC
Apr. 7, 2000, 08:54 AM
Tatum O'Neil was in "International Velvet," and I remember reading in a magazine that she took intensive riding lessons, including learning to jump, so that she could do some of her own riding in the movie. I have no idea whether she stuck with it.

sjh
Apr. 7, 2000, 09:15 AM
If any of you are from MI, you might remember the show Kelly and Company that was on years ago. John Kelly, one of the hosts, has a horse at Hell Creek ranch in Hell, MI. His horse is used for public trail rides, I rode it once when a group of us went up there for a quiet trail ride. Very nice.

chief
Apr. 7, 2000, 10:47 AM
Robert Duvall rides jumpers and I believe he lives in Middleburg, VA. He audited a Joe Fargis clinic I rode in two years ago- I also ran into him (literally) at a Middleburg deli. None of the residents seemed to give much notice to him, just us crazy tourists!

Shannen Dougherty was pictured in IN STYLE magazine a few months back on her jumper- not too bad. I used to show against Clea Newman, and loved it when "dad" came to watch! I also met Tommy Lee Jones in Wellington last year- just sitting in a local restaurant, so "normal" looking that I didn't notice who he was for an hour. He was very nice.

Madeliene Stowe ("General's Daughter") has a huge ranch outside of Austin, TX and rides.

CTT
Apr. 7, 2000, 04:25 PM
Well Its always fun to See george Strait at the Rose considering he owns it and I had a blast there when he first baught it and my sister had Mary's job ( for all thoes texas show people) and he would be there everyday to get the nack of things and work on improvements. He also has a very talented son named buba who did team pening and some other events. Georges wive is a very wonderfull person to hang with especialy when you are stuck at school and she just came to pick up buba and offers a ride when you live 15 mins out of the way. Also another saint is Patric Swazie(?) who lives in kervill. I remember one year whan My arab went lame at nationals and I needed a horse to ride he came up to me and said " I heard you were in need of a horse" and just handed me one so that I could ride. That was the best and god do I miss thoes days. I sometimes find myself down at Retama polo field to watch tomie Lee Jones have some fun. He is some times a real nice man as long as you treat him as a normal person. What a bout JOJO melencamp. Also is Paul Newman still liveing in reading? He was another real nice person to see especialy whan you would run into him in the park. He had a good nature.

kNd
Apr. 7, 2000, 07:00 PM
Patrick Swayze rides Arabians

Tommy Lee Jones plays polo

Glen Close rides dressage

hmm...that's all I can think of.

Black Market Radio
Apr. 7, 2000, 07:53 PM
Joan Rivers daughter Melissa Rivers rides and co-hosts Equestrian events for OLN, I didn't know Tammen died, that is so sad! And to see Patrick in all his half naked glory...

sprite
Apr. 7, 2000, 08:33 PM
charlie daniels rides tennessee walkers!!!!

hey, about joan lunden's daughter jamie- i heard she was injured, is she ok? i was one of her camp counselors YEARS ago, when she was still doing ponies...nice girl.

Timex6979
Apr. 8, 2000, 03:54 PM
yup, richard gere has horses, as does cindy crawford, an app and an old qh mare. eddie murphy has some, as does mary tyler moore. paul newman's daughter used to own old salem farm, too

barngirl
Apr. 9, 2000, 12:33 AM
Funny everyone is mentioning Paul Newman's daughter. The barn I now train and ride at was supposedly owned by his daughter. She converted it from a dairy farm. Its a nice little place south of ANn Arbor, MI. Don't know when she moved. out though....

Nickelodian
Apr. 9, 2000, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by beccam86:
joan rivers daughter melissa bought one of the horses at our barn a few years ago, her and her new husband met at a horse show, i think. i want to know what they paid for him!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She bought No Parachute right?

relocatedTXjumpr
Apr. 9, 2000, 01:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by langshaw:
She bought No Parachute right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, i wonder how much she paid for him? does anyone know if she still has him? ive got old home vidoes of me in lessons with the lady that owned him before she did, that horse could jump the moon!!!

Jody
Apr. 9, 2000, 07:22 PM
Melissa Rivers also is engaged to get married to Michael Endicott. He was showing her "No Parachute" in the Portola Valley jumper class last year. That's the last I heard or seen of her and her horse. She was showing him A/O and she did the commentary for the horseworld coverage of that class... Hope that helped!

Risey27
Apr. 9, 2000, 08:02 PM
Well the famous people that i have seen ride are Joe Montana and his 2 girls and his wife all ride out here in california. Melissa Rivers rides and is married to professional Michael Endicott. Shannon Doughtery trains with Susie Hudshinson (SP) and then the man who is president of HBO Chris Albrect rides and so does his wife and 2 daughters his daughter is cute pony rider Tess albrect who owns SPLASH /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Also the little girl on the cover of show circuit Nicolletta Von Heddeger her parents own Kiels the lotion company. And a very good junior rider Daniella Curtos parents own Chicken of the sea which I think is cool /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gifThere are a lot of people who have cool businesses that ride /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sandy M
Apr. 10, 2000, 06:10 PM
Let's see, I believe I saw in Sports ILlustrated that Kareem Abdul Jabbar (Lew Alcindor) likes to ride - western and english and has several horses, mostly TBs OVER 17 hands (of course!).

AMom
Apr. 10, 2000, 07:22 PM
Melissa is actually married to Michael Endicott's brother John. Michael showed in the Bay Area when I was a junior, but I don't think John really hit the scene as a professional until the last few years.

Lily
Apr. 10, 2000, 07:26 PM
There's a picture of Shannen Doherty and her horse in the latest issue of Sidelines- it's also on the web.

Saltadora
Apr. 10, 2000, 07:40 PM
A friend of mine's trainer taught Brad Pitt to ride for one of his movies a while back...she didn't know who he was untill all the girls at the barn started coming to watch his lessons... They asked what his name was and she said Oh, Brad something..." They couldn't belive it was actually him, and that she didn't know he was famous.
I also have seen joe and jennifer montana at several shows...very nice people...my friend used to groom their german shepard.

Kennett Square
Apr. 10, 2000, 10:09 PM
Let's not forget Maria Shriver who rode as a junior in MD.

Jody
Apr. 11, 2000, 12:13 AM
My bad... You're right.. Melissa Rivers is married to John Endicott and he was showing her horse "No Parachute". My mistake.. Old Age again! Lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sparky
Apr. 11, 2000, 03:04 AM
Just saw a special on the making of a new Sandra Bullock movie, and the producer is Jenno Topping, another "fun to watch" rider from the early 80's!

rescuemom
Apr. 11, 2000, 11:53 AM
Here's a couple more:

Tanya Tucker has cutting horses.

Stephanie Powers plays polo.

Christy Brinkley keeps horses on Long Island, used to be English but I seem to recall reading about her switching to Western.

The last thing I heard about Julie Krone was that she had done some riding with M. Goldstein-Engle in Florida.

tika
Apr. 11, 2000, 02:16 PM
I do believe that Andrea Botcelli also rides. I saw him cantering a horse in a PBS special. I'm impressed! I have full sight and sometimes its a challenge for me to ride!!!

ccoronios
Apr. 11, 2000, 04:33 PM
Cindy Crawford rode cutting horses a few years ago - word had it that she really liked it, so she may own a few....

ccoronios
Apr. 11, 2000, 04:41 PM
Oops - not Cindy Crawford - Christy Brinkley....speaking of old age (mine, not hers!)

Apr. 12, 2000, 05:01 PM
Also.....
Shoshanna Lonstein (former Jerry Seinfeld fiancee) now clothing designer
Tiffany-Amber Theissen (Head of the Class & BH 90210)
Allanah Miles ( singer-Black Velvet) rides in Canada

Beansismyman
Jan. 13, 2002, 03:37 PM
ok Bianca Agassi Does ponies! and umm i didn't know that it was Niccolleta's parents who owned Khiels!! hehe i have all of their stuff...
ok
Paige Johnson -Dad owns/Owned BET
Georgina Bloomberg- We all noe this one!
Daisy Johnson-Own Johnson&johnson
And i "HEARD" that Addie Phillips Family owns Phillips ya noe the light bulbs and stuff but i didn't hear it from her so ya noe

I miss you bailey and mocha we will find you!

munchies
Jan. 13, 2002, 03:48 PM
Ok YEs Paul Newmans daughter used to ride and I used to show with her many moons ago . BUrgess Meredith used to have a farm in NY which my father leased for my trainer at the time. Molly Hingle used to ride havent heard about them in years but she was the daughter of the film star Pat Hingle. Doc Seversons farm was in Ct I believe. I am trying to remember who else. Jennifer O Neil used to show dont know if she still does or not. I am sure some of you have never heard of these stars but its been awhile.

wannabegifted
Jan. 13, 2002, 04:09 PM
[how odd! I bought my last event horse from Lionshare farm!!!

Also- Bruce Springstien has horses, my old trainer actually sold him one.

Pirateer
Jan. 13, 2002, 04:09 PM
Yes. Jennifer and Joe Montana own the Oaks old stallion CHaka Khan...(my trainer has a baby by him...what a cutie!)

Rebecca
Eeks! My horsie looks like a mule!!!
http://www.virtue.nu/pirateer/home.html

Molly99
Jan. 13, 2002, 04:17 PM
Doc Severenson's place is in NJ and is currently on the market for anyone interested.

There was an AD in COTH a few times in the past few months.

just_me
Jan. 13, 2002, 04:55 PM
Dan Marino's kids ride at local shows around here.

For those into soap operas, Leslie Charleson (Monica Quartermaine on GH) has an Andalusian and Lynn Herring (Lucy on PC) has horses.

Spider
Jan. 13, 2002, 05:13 PM
Linda Blair ( the excorsist) used to keep her horse CoCo "Northern Bound" I actually got to ride him a couple of times, he's a really nice horse. My friends mother used to lease him.

Duramax
Jan. 13, 2002, 05:30 PM
Andie MacDowell (Ground Hog Day) has a few horses in Asheville, NC and pleasure rides western.

Luv2ride
Jan. 13, 2002, 05:31 PM
Mary Kate Olsen rides and has a pony or two I dont think Ashley rides

And Susan Lucci's daughter used to ride. I saw her at the Hamptons years back.

~Nikki and Ethan~

*Whoever said money can't buy you happiness, never owned a horse : ) *
*First Semester is over!! I made it through my first semester of college!!*

Whip 'N Spurs
Jan. 13, 2002, 05:33 PM
Jewel (a singer) has ridden all of her life.

Laura & Casey
Photo Album:
http://community.webshots.com/user/unothehorse

Beansismyman
Jan. 13, 2002, 05:44 PM
ok i just asked addie and they do NOT own the company!!!

I miss you bailey and mocha we will find you!

OnceAThief
Jan. 13, 2002, 06:51 PM
Sorry if it has, but, the geek that I am has to point out that Gillian Anderson rides. I can only find one quote about it, from 2000, where she says that riding is her only hobby and she'd just started that January.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

---------
Delighted Studios (http://www.geocities.com/JustDelighted)

PonyJumperGRL
Jan. 13, 2002, 07:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kissy:
Joe Montana was across the aisle from us at Indio the last few weeks!

[This message has been edited by kissy (edited 04-06-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His daughter is SO tall! She came to try a horse at my barn shes like my age (14) and she's 5'11!!!

daytimedrama
Jan. 13, 2002, 08:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kissy:
I And we Saw Kelsey Grammar (frasier) at GTE (in CA) and i think he owned a horse in the grandprix-but i don't remember the horses name or rider.
[This message has been edited by kissy (edited 04-06-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he has a horse named Manadi and Susan Demers rides him. i'll refrain my self from commenting more on this "trainer"

~Christina~
"I don't patronize bunny rabbits!" -Heathers
*Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

daytimedrama
Jan. 13, 2002, 08:04 PM
Whoopi Goldberg owns a trail horse and she kept him at my old barn (she pays the bills but never rides), He used to be in movies and tV shows, I think he was actually in the Olsen show Two of a Kind.

~Christina~
"I don't patronize bunny rabbits!" -Heathers
*Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

PonyJumperGRL
Jan. 13, 2002, 08:09 PM
Ok I have a question, did anyone else see that add in the Summer/Early Fall Show Circuit, that says All That Glitters was sold to Mary Kate Olsen? Is that "the" Mary Kate?

EventerAJ
Jan. 13, 2002, 08:18 PM
Here are some more:
Country singer Clay Walker & his wife own QHs, show halter & rodeo (cutting, roping)

John Lithgow owns a QH or two

Leann Rimes does some cutting, her father was into ropers

Hey, did Mickey Rooney have anything to do with horses off the set? Just curious, since he was in National Velvet & all the Black Stallion stuff.

~AJ~
"Why can't we see the walls we can't see through
And see what God's been tellin' me & you
And that is, blood is thicker than water,
Oh but Love is thicker than blood."

Fiction
Jan. 13, 2002, 08:34 PM
Ditto on what LuvMyPonies said
and Bruce Springsteen's daughter rides...She showed in SS last year, against my old children's hunter hehe shes a cutie...I was schooling a pony at the state finals for one of our kids and someone was schooling her pony for her... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

-----
*Princess*

<3I'll fly with you<3

Atypical
Jan. 13, 2002, 09:28 PM
I think these two have already been mentioned, but Billy Crystal bought the horse he used on City Slickers. Do you know they painted the horse's face so that he could look like a different horse in the sequel?

Also Linda Blair. I have to mention her becasue I knew one of her horses and he was such a sweetie! I remember watching her interview on OLN, seeing her horse's show name and I started yelling look look it's Cocoa!

Catalina
Jan. 14, 2002, 04:11 AM
He owns a huge ranch in Australia and cites riding as one of his passions. Hmmmmm... there's a nice fantasy, riding in the Outback with yummy Russell! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ponyesq
Jan. 14, 2002, 07:27 AM
We saw Lorraine Bracco (the psychiatrist on the Sopranos) at Culpeper watching her daughter in the children's (I believe) jumpers. She was in a golf cart with someone who looked very much like John Goodman (from Rosanne).

Princess Lauren
Jan. 14, 2002, 08:44 AM
Sissy Spacek's (sp?) younger daughter (Madison Fisk) rides ponies. She rode this dinky pony at local shows around here out of this backyard gross barn. I don't know why since they could afford something nicer. She won a little bit but never really a lot. I used to beat her on my $800 pony lol.

-Lauren-
[Vantage Point][Imagine That]
[Come As You Are][Once In A Blue Moon]

Princess Lauren
Jan. 14, 2002, 08:56 AM
i dunno this one

-Lauren-
[Vantage Point][Imagine That]
[Come As You Are][Once In A Blue Moon]

buryinghill1
Jan. 14, 2002, 01:26 PM
Cutting Horses

InWhyCee
Jan. 14, 2002, 03:01 PM
I read that Patrick Stewart (Star Trek's Captain Picard) and Robert Duvall both had hunters... I'm not usually into older men, but either would do for me....

*** "Any ride is good ride provided you dismount voluntarily." ***

ClemsonGraduateRider
Jan. 14, 2002, 03:22 PM
Jason Williams - a retired (NBA) Basketball player (I beleive from either the Knicks or Nets) has horses on his property. He rescues draft horses for the ASPCA I believe. He keeps them for life.
He claims to have the biggest horse in the state of New Jersey!!

I also saw a picture of Andy (?) MacDowell on her horse in the new IN Style Weddings magazine - in a wedding dress no less!!

Chanda
Jan. 15, 2002, 08:37 AM
Kelly LeBrock from Wierd Science lives near me and owns horses. We attend the same x-mas party and talked about how some of them were sick, not colic but something else. She was late for the party because she was taking care of them.

Starmite
Jan. 15, 2002, 01:56 PM
I heard somewhere that one of the Olsen twins (MaryKate I think) has and shows two ponies
~M

Jaysee
Jan. 15, 2002, 02:37 PM
Eddie Murphy has cutting horses in Dutchess County NY.....

If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.....

Lita
Jan. 15, 2002, 02:49 PM
Someone mentioned a while ago re: Martha Stewart
She receintly purchased 2 Friesians from a very promanant breeder in my area and will be driving them. She is currently having a farm built in NY state somewhere. She was also seen at the Royal Winter Fair(Toronto)with the breeders.

Coreene
Jan. 15, 2002, 03:36 PM
The last Show Circuit had a congrats ad for Mary Kate Olson buying a horse from Ron Kennedy.

Robby Johnson
Jan. 16, 2002, 08:54 AM
Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, owns the show-jumping stallion Coolcorran Cool Diamond.

And it has finally happened ... in a recent interview Madonna (everyone bow your head for a moment of reverence) stated she would like to learn to ride a horse.

Robby

Merry
Jan. 16, 2002, 09:33 AM
Ah, Robby, is it here where I insert my, "Well, she's had everything else between her ______," joke? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And no ribbing on Bobby Duvall, okay? I almost "went" for him once. Fortunately, Mr. Merry has aged oh-so-much-more better. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"Friends don't let friends eat fish tacos."

Everythingbutwings
Jan. 16, 2002, 09:45 AM
Lead singer for the Moody Blues! I heard he rides his TB on the beach when he is at home.

Stephen Stills' wife (or ex, I don't know) rides because I had care of one of a Saddlebred she used to own named Milano. He was very nice but had no upper front teeth and was put on pasture board by the new owner, not a good scene.

Weatherford
Jan. 16, 2002, 10:24 AM
Did anyone else notice when Kirk & Picard rode together in one of the Next Generation movies (Generations, I think), Kirk had a saddle-seat type saddle on his (he rides Tenn Walkers, I do believe, not saddlebreds), while Picard had a well used, classic Stubben on his?

(I would notice something like that!)