PDA

View Full Version : Cost of running water line from house to barn?

She's Pure Gold
Jun. 11, 2012, 05:26 PM
So we are looking at yet another house (farm shopping is frustrating!) and this one has a barn and a good amount of cleared land but there is currently no running water source at the barn. Barn sits roughly 50-60' from house. What kind of $$ would we be looking at to run a single water line from the house to the barn in Massachusetts? (I'm assuming location matters for frost line) Also, since we would have to run a line anyways, is there a cost difference to do a hot/cold faucet vs. cold only? Thanks!

Guilherme
Jun. 11, 2012, 05:48 PM
Assuiming no permits or dealings with the "alphabet soup" you should begin by checking with your local County Extension Agent. They will likely have guidance you can use.

Cost items: Ditchwitch (or equivalent) to dig the trench. Some sand to line the bottom (eases the pipe). Enough pipe to run from source to tap. Fittings, cleaner, pipe glue, etc. Frost-free yard hydrant at barn.

Plan a cold water line. If you want hot water buy a small 110v hot water heater at Home Depot (or equivalent).

Go to the Lowes or Home Depot or Tractor Supply or Ace Hardware or wherever site to get a "ballpark" number for hardware and pipe you'll need. Call a local rental shop for Ditchwitch pricing.

It's not "rocket science" but it does take some "attention to detail" so that you don't end up with a leak and have to start digging up the line to find the leak.

Good luck in the project. :)

G.

fatappy
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:00 PM
I am getting estimates for planning my barn and running water/ electric from the house is a huge determinate.

One guy told me it would be $12/ foot to dig and lay line for water and electric, with electric being most of the outlay ($8/ foot) and water being closer to $4/ foot.

A much cheaper guy told me water and electric would be $5/ foot (water only would be about $1.50/ foot).

So there you have it... much like everything else, it depends. I'm also in TN, so I'm willing to bet that we don't have to dig very deep because our frost line is quite near the surface. I don't know if that has an effect, but I'm willing to be it factors in somewhere.

ise@ssl
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
Just a note: Do make sure you are below the frost line.
We DO NOT lay out electric conduit in the same trench as the water lines. If you ever have to excavate to fix the water line it will be a nightmare getting around the conduit for the power.
Also make sure you mark on a copy of your survey where the line is and how deep for future reference.

Fred
Jun. 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
At our old farm, the water line ran from the house to the barn, and it was not laid deep enough, which meant (here in Ontario) that it always froze in the winter.
When we had a new line put in -hired a guy to do it all - we made sure the new line went in deep, and we had a frost-free hydrant in the barn.

I don't remember exactly how much it was - but I DO remember thinking at the time that it was worth every.penny.

;)

Hilary
Jun. 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
I do not have running water in my barn in the winter - there is a Nelson waterer in the pasture that was worth every penny we paid for it. Our horses rarely stay in at night, though, so hauling water for buckets when they do stay in once in a while from the house (about the same distance) is not so bad.

How many horses will you have? That will also make a difference. In the summer the hose runs from the Nelson to the barn, so there's water for baths etc. (oh and flower watering and car washing - those other outdor needs unrelated to horses)

Do I wish I had hot/cold running water in the barn year round? Of course. But I have only my own horses and it's not, so far, been worth the expense. Plenty of other things to spend the $$ on...

Is the soil rocky? That will drive up the expense as well. Agree that you should not put the water and the electric in the same trench, for future problem solving.

nashfad
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:25 PM
I ran PVC 1" line 300 ft above the ground from my house to my barn-----------works great. I have faucets inline randomly to help with draining in the extreme cold. It runs across my back yard and over a rock wall and down to the barn and I have it run through 3" steel rods across gates so horses or machinery do not break it. works great for me. Yes I occasionally have a repair to make but no big deal.

Calvincrowe
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:11 PM
We ran water from the house to the barn 8 years ago. We used "wersbo" (spelling is questionable, but that's what it sounds like;))--a pipe that can flex when frozen so it doesn't break. A bit more expensive but worth it for the piece of mind. We needed roughly 75 feet dug/run.

We used a friend with a mini-trackho to dig a 3' deep trench, which angled and went under two fence lines (dug that by hand..ugh). Same friend had a concrete saw, as we had to cut the barn floor to get the water where I wanted it.

The best idea we had was to have a plumber come out and cut into our water line in the house (had to cut thru the foundation) and lay the line, and put in the frost-free faucet in the barn.

Total cost? Under $600. Granted, the gift of my friend's help was a real cost savings.

JB
Jun. 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
We just did this - $4/foot for the digging and the pipe. The pump was of course extra, and how much that is depends on what you use. I think mine was in the $200 range, but I won't swear to it.

No respectable plumber/well guy would go too shallow, above the freeze line. They know what's required in your area. Our well guy did ours as we connected the barn water to the house well and changed a few things about the well itself. I have no idea if a regular plumber has the ability/knowledge/etc to hook into a well.

And whatever you do, have a shutoff valve somewhere! Ours is at the well but it can be at the house or wherever else you tie in. You want to be able to shut off the flow to the barn with out shutting off to the house.