PDA

View Full Version : Truck Bed Length + Gooseneck?

MtyMax
Jun. 11, 2012, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

Still looking at trucks as noted in my previous thread (see Which Chevy...). As of right now I'm most interested in a Crew Cab 2500HD either Chevy or GMC. Still undecided on Gas or Diesel. What is the shortest bed length that I can do with a gooseneck and tool box? The future trailer will most likely be a bumper pull, but you never know what I'll find a good deal on ;)

Thanks!

Fancy That
Jun. 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
For bumper pull you can get a Short Bed. For Gooseneck, I would NOT recommend a Short Bed at all.

I know plenty of folks use them, but personally, I think LONG BEDS are best for hauling. And with a gooseneck, you then don't have the risk of popping/hitting your back cab window (which I've seen happen on Short Beds that jack-knife the gooseneck trailer)

I longer wheelbase is also more stable/better for towing.

I'd also recommend Diesel ;)

pds
Jun. 11, 2012, 03:15 PM
Agree with Fancy That, a long bed truck is preferable. If the Gooseneck has a tapered nose (not square) then it is less of a problem (hitting cab wise) with a short bed truck.

You can always equip your trailer with one of these http://mrtruck.net/popup.htm if you haul using a short bed truck but I have never actually seen one other than in ads.

jenm
Jun. 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
For bumper pull you can get a Short Bed. For Gooseneck, I would NOT recommend a Short Bed at all.

Agree with Fancy That, a long bed truck is preferable. If the Gooseneck has a tapered nose (not square) then it is less of a problem (hitting cab wise) with a short bed truck.

You can always equip your trailer with one of these http://mrtruck.net/popup.htm if you haul using a short bed truck but I have never actually seen one other than in ads.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree about not hauling with a short bed. By choice, I have a short bed, and did have the GN hitch extender added on. I'll take a picture of my set up and will post later today, because I also have a toolbox in my bed.

My two horse GN hauls like a dream, and of course the extender ensures I will never hit my back window while turning.

JB
Jun. 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Goosenecks make for a much more stable ride when they can be sitting close to the rear axle of the truck. An extender on a short bed has got to be putting it pretty far back I would think. Not that it can't be done, obviously it is, but I'd never choose that setup if I had choices.

8' long bed is by far the most convenient for this.

Plus, when has anyone ever said "oh crap, those 8' 2x4s aren't hanging over the end of my truck bed!" :lol:

MtyMax
Jun. 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
Haha, good point JB.

I guess what I was looking for was actual bed length. 8' vs. ??

Thanks!

JB
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:00 PM
Long bed is 8'.

IIR, a short bed is 4'6" and a regular bed is 6'6". Or similar LOL

rmh_rider
Jun. 11, 2012, 07:08 PM
I have had a short bed forever with my GN. Current is a Chevy duramax. Had a gas Chevy before it and it also had a SHORT BED.

Had a long bed dually. What a HUGE hassle. Didn't pull better either. Hooking up was a hassle with the dually's to climb over.

If you get a chevy make SURE it has an Allison tranny. They last forever and they are great to haul and tow.

The gas chevy had the goose hitch over the axle's, new chevy since it is a 4 door has it just ahead of the axle's. Zero difference in towing. New chevy has 15k on it. I think that is plenty of testing. I have never had ANY incident of hitting the trailer on the back windshield. I have driven alot in the country on back roads, hills, sharp turns, and have had to do plenty of backing and turning around. Done city driving too. But never have had the trailer get near the back window. If so, geesh, you have turned too far. And by that point, you can't do anything with the trailer practically. Well, ok, you can unhook and reposition the truck, but why would you do that to your equipment? A long bed can hit the back just as easy as a short bed. It is all in how you drive and turn.

Think beds are 6 or 8 foot long.

New chevy duramax pulls like a locomotive! Lots of torque and HP.

Short bed fits way better in the garage too.

JB
Jun. 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
Just remember not all long beds are also a dually, so climbing into a long bed is only easier, or harder, based on dually vs not :) Same could be said for a short bed dually, if that existed LOL

ponygirl
Jun. 11, 2012, 08:56 PM
I haul a GN with a GMC crew cab (duramax w/ ally trans) with a 6 1/2 foot bed. Perhaps the 4 door crew cab makes a difference but I've never come close to having the GN hit the back window and I've deliberately tried. It pulls like a dream and the GN is pretty darn close to sitting on the rear axle.

Fred
Jun. 11, 2012, 09:03 PM
Add me to the group that pulls a 2+1 gooseneck with dressing room, with a short bed Chev (Z71 Silverado).
No problems, ever.

Rambler
Jun. 11, 2012, 09:25 PM
Sorry to hijack...I am currently looking at a truck with a 5'5" box, should I be OK with a gooseneck and no extender? thanks!

MtyMax
Jun. 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
Wow, good discussion!

This question may need its own thread....

Because I'm buying the truck before the trailer, how hard will it be to find a trailer that is level when hooked to the truck? My trailer budget is shrinking by the day and I will definitely be looking at used trailers (either GN or BP). Are there any brands to definitely stay away from that may not fit a newer truck?

ShotenStar
Jun. 12, 2012, 09:22 AM
Wow, good discussion!

This question may need its own thread....

Because I'm buying the truck before the trailer, how hard will it be to find a trailer that is level when hooked to the truck? My trailer budget is shrinking by the day and I will definitely be looking at used trailers (either GN or BP). Are there any brands to definitely stay away from that may not fit a newer truck?

The 'neck' on most GN trailers is adjustable -- you can lengthen or shorten it to get the trailer to level.

For bumper pulls, level is achieved by changing the ball mount insert. They come in a huge variety of 'drop' sizes to get a trailer to level.

*star*

airhorse
Jun. 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
Sorry to hijack...I am currently looking at a truck with a 5'5" box, should I be OK with a gooseneck and no extender? thanks!

If you never need to turn, you will be just fine...

pds
Jun. 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
In the final analysis whatever works for you works.

You can do it with a 6 1/2 bed but I prefer the long bed. Partly because I use the truck around the farm for other things and like having the extra cargo room for hauling hay, etc. The longer bed also affords me more cargo space when towing for things like bags of shavings, muck bucket, etc. that I can't put in trailer when it is full of tack and horses.

3Spots
Jun. 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
i have an extended cab (not a full crew cab) AND a short bed -- works fine. I love it. The trailer will hit the back window if I jackknife more than 90 degrees, but at 90 degrees you are no longer driving, but dragging your trailer. I tested it in a parking lot, but in real life I have never come close.

I got the short bed (6foot) and short cab (extended) because I didn't want a monster truck. I load one hay bale, hook up the trailer, jackknife it to expose the bed, load a second hay bale, and I can be off for a few days of camping.

If you want a toolbox -- I think you have to go with a longer bed.

jan

Fancy That
Jun. 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
Listen - plenty of people tow with short beds. And never have a problem their entire life.

The OP asked a question, and TOWING GUIDELINES say that the LONGER THE TRAILER the LONGER YOUR WHEELBASE SHOULD BE, IDEALLY.

If you are SHOPPING - and if you plan to have a BIG/LONG/HEAVY trailer - then you should get a Long Bed.

If you already have a Short Bed, or you are hauling a SHORT/LIGHTER trailer, no worries.

There is INCREASED STABILITY with a LONGER WHEELBASE, especially compared to the LENGTH of the trailer you are towing. That is a simple fact.

JB
Jun. 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
Perfect Fancy!

If you have a choice, go longer for sure. My long bed - which, granted, has an extended cab but not a full size crew cab - is FINE even to drive to town. Yes, it's harder to find a parking space, but it's not a daily vehicle, I don't need to park in front of Starbucks, we park at the back of Home Depot and drive the truck up to load things :lol:

*I* would never want to pull a 2h gn with a dressing room with a short-bed truck. Just wouldn't want to.

Guilherme
Jun. 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
Bed length, as noted, should be determined by the job to be done.

That includes non-towing jobs. The long bed will take an 8' x 4' sheet of plywood (or other material) without issue. You can put lots of hay in a long bed. You can haul an ATV or golf cart or small garden tractor in a long bed. Shorter beds will not do so well. If these sorts of hauling are an issue then the long bed is the way to go.

Dually vs. single? An anacdote on why I like duallies: We were coming back from VA a couple on the day after Memorial Day. We had an inside dual "delaminate" about 20 miles from home. We looked at the tire (it was still holding air) and determined to drive home at 20 mph. Got it changed the next day. Saved the risk of a tire change on the interstate. Made the "big hips hassle" of a dually all worthwhile. ;)

G.

FLeventer
Jun. 13, 2012, 03:28 AM
I have a reg bed extended cab F150 and honestly I would nevevr get a short bed. This bed is such a pain! I also have a extended cab F350 dually with the long bed and I love it for towing my gooseneck. Great truck and I can park that thing in the compact spots with the right angle. It works for me and I love it.

I would never buy a short bed truck. I would again never buy a short bed truck with intentions to pull a goose neck. What the heck does 4'6 do? Nothing. Does not hold anything and is plain pointless. Waste of space and truck.

jenm
Jun. 13, 2012, 02:28 PM
To the OP, here are pictures showing my set up, which as I wrote earlier, includes toolboxes in the bed.

I love having a short bed. It's easier to park and maneuver, and not having the extra length has never been a problem as far as what I may happen to throw in the back.

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/Shortbed/?start=all