PDA

View Full Version : My blackberries are sick

JustFive
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
I have a thornless variety and this year they are stunted and really poor looking. The red raspberries next to them are great so its not moisture that is the problem. I don't see any insects either. Anyone have an idea what is wrong?

D Taylor
Jun. 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
How old and did you prune them back last year?

JustFive
Jun. 15, 2012, 12:20 PM
They are four years old. They were pruned back last autumn. Some of the newest growth looks normal with full sized leaves and berries, but the rest is stunted.

Heinz 57
Jun. 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
I have nothing constructive to add...Just had to say, I saw the title and thought "Good for you!".

And then I remembered that blackberries are actually grown purposefully in other parts of the country - unlike here, where they've taken over so much as to be considered an infestatious weed and looking sickly would be celebrated. :lol:

D Taylor
Jun. 15, 2012, 10:55 PM
Black berries like it moist but they do not tolerate very soggy for extended periods. Did you have a very wet spring?

Laurierace
Jun. 16, 2012, 08:14 AM
How about red raspberries? I have one plant that is a year old and another that I planted early this spring. I planted three this spring but only one survived. The year old plant is huge but the part of the plants that actually contain berries have shriveled up and died while the part without the berries goes wild. The one surviving plant from this year has yet to have any berries on it. Am I watering too much, not enough?

Mali
Jun. 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
Do some research, but I don't think you are supposed to mix red raspberries and Black raspberries/Blackberries. That could be your problem! I'm not sure why, I just recall when I planted my raspberry patch, I had to pick one or the other. I opted for black raspberries, and they've been doing very well for the 10 years they've been planted here.

There's a very good book "The Backyard Berry Book" by Stella Otto. It is a great resource for the backyard berry gardener!

horsefaerie
Jun. 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
Red raspberries get something that doesn't bother them but bothers the blackberries.

I removed the raspberries which are less hardy to protect my blackberries. People that sell this stuff should advise you before you purchase the plants.

Laurierace
Jun. 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
I only have red so that isn't the problem with mine.

JB
Jun. 16, 2012, 06:41 PM
My Dad has grown red and yellow raspberries right next to thornless blackberries (don't know variety, if that makes any difference) for *years* and the only problem he has is deer :mad:

JustFive
Jun. 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Well, this has been a great year for my red raspberries. I think I will brutally print them this fall and see what happens. Is there a kind of canker that attacks them?

Simkie
Jun. 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
My red raspberries are doing miserably this year, but my yellow raspberries and my blackberries are growing like crazy. What's the deal? :(