PDA

View Full Version : Moving the farm, freaking out!

fourfillies
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:20 AM
After 15 years, lots of sweat equity and $ our current 30 acre farm is perfect, well almost (you know there is always the next project). So, of course, I took a new job 10 hours away and we will be relocating. We are fortunate enough to have our place under contract (fingers crossed).
What do I do with all the stuff! 15 years of it. I have been overwhelming the local 4H, local tack shop, and ebay with things that I don't need/haven't used so far as tack type items. But what about:
1. The tractor (40HP with front loader) plus brush hog
2. The feed bins
3. The water troughs
4. All the misc stuff that comes with farm maintanence (wheelbarrows, ladders, shop vac, power tools, hand tools). How did I end up with 3 pry bars anyway?
5. The riding lawn mower
Do you move it? Do you sell it? A little of both? Its all in good shape.
Fortunately or not the buyer has no interest in any of it. Not a horse person, go figure! Also, I will have to store whatever I bring at least for a few months if our current closing date holds as there is no way we'll find a place in the new location in time to simply move it all.
Sorry so long. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. The freak out has started.

islgrl
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
Can you have an auction?

tangledweb
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:44 AM
If you are planning on farming again I'd filter out the junk and move what you actually use. Even if it means buying a big trailer, moving it yourself then paying to park that somewhere for a while.

Zu Zu
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:49 AM
From experience ```` "pitch" only broken ~ MOVE THE REST! :yes:

I almost daily returned to the shed to retrieve something I need that was 'moved' THANK GOD !

The quality of new equipment and stable items is not as "good" = long lasting as of the items you purchased long ago..

IF IT WORKS = TAKE IT !

We moved manure spreader ` tractors ` portable stalls ` hay racks ` water tanks ` snaps ` water buckets ` mats ....

oh ! and horses ` ponies and 11 cats !

GOOD LUCK ~~~ really worth the effort

even plywood and some fence boards ``` if you don't use it later you can always sell it there ``

SpruceLane
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:30 AM
^^^ This! Totally! Zu Zu nailed it on the head. Good luck with your relocation. :)

fourfillies
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the advice, makes be feel better already, nothing like a plan for piece of mind. Could be a silly question but do "regular" movers accomodate such equipment moves/storage?

oldpony66
Jun. 11, 2012, 12:04 PM
TAKE EVERYTHING!
Pack (light) stuff inside the troughs to save space. Same with feed bins. Movers will take mowers if you drain the gas out first. The cost of moving these things, even if you have to store them a while, is far less than buying everything new! People store cars in storage units, so why not tractors?
We moved from GA to PA and I ended up hauling the tractor on my own, mainly because the move was part of the relocation package that my DH's company had and they would not move "livestock or agricultural equipment". The things that the movers did not know were "agricultural equipment" got on the moving van (including every single tractor implement and a set of 8 schooling jumps and poles ha ha) but they decided that the tractor was "agricultural". They would have moved it if I had paid extra but I was making a trip up anyway to help get the pasture fences horse-ready and it was cheaper for me to do it myself. The horses I moved up on a later (final) trip. Our move was about 17 hours one way so I feel for ya... I know how hard moving is!
They also would not move: any liquids from the shop or barn, paint, coffee cans full of nails and screws, or ammunition. Really sucked about all the coffee cans because you don't realize how much you use odds and ends like that until you don't have them anymore!

Christa P
Jun. 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
Maybe you could check CL in your new location and find a storage building to rent privately.

Christa

Aggie4Bar
Jun. 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
Move it. Odds are that if you sell it, you'll need it and won't be able to replace it for as good a price. It's cheaper to hire movers or rent the equipment to move it yourself and pay for storage.

Alternatively, would the new buyers be willing to work out a lease-back of sorts that allows you to store the larger equipment (tractor, etc.) where it's at for a couple months?

fourfillies
Jun. 11, 2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Never thought about a lease back. Doesn't sound like the new owner is super interested in the barn/shed anyhow. Draining gas is a very useful suggestion that would have escaped me.
I am going to have the same issues regarding relocation of agricultural equipment I fear, though not specifically excluded . . .

tangledweb
Jun. 11, 2012, 02:58 PM
It might change things a bit if your employer is paying for the move.

A large mover bill and a few months of brand name self storage are things that any HR department will comprehend as valid expenses. Lease-back arrangements or other complex, even if better value, arrangements might be too weird for them.

JanM
Jun. 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
I agree with everyone that says take everything. Replacing items that you need later is much more expensive than moving, and storing. You might even find someone on the other end who has an unused storage barn or shed and will rent. When I moved into a townhouse I got rid of all of the lawn and outside work stuff except the tall aluminum ladders-it was a big mistake.

And if you turn out to not need something, then sell it after you move, after you settle on a property.

goodhors
Jun. 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
Get renter or storage insurance for the equipment!! Whichever end you store the stuff, make sure it is covered to REPLACE it, in case of tornados, flood, fire, theft or other problems that might occur. Have a list of the big items or do a video of the stuff in the building, to show you actually had it in there.

We purchased a wonderful little Kabota tractor last year with several pieces of equipment. I sold my old equipment that was the same tool, kept the newer stuff. Husband was wandering farm sale sites and about CHOKED when he saw the price on the finish mower we got with the tractor. He asked if I knew what they cost, new or used? I did, only because I had been curious about the value of the newer equipment we got, so I looked it up. Heck the tractor was a STEAL, with the almost new equipment added in!! No chance we could get that tractor or equipment again for those prices.

Keep what you have, store and move most all of it, you can ALWAYS sell it later if it is in the way. I will second and third, that the stuff you buy now, hand tools, pieces/parts, are not the quality of thing made a few years ago. And I thought THOSE things were cheaply made. Prices on everything has gone thru the roof, if you have to buy stuff to fix things.

If you have to haul machinery yourself, go to the dealer and ask how to tie or anchor tractor, mowers, utility vehicles down for long-distance hauling. Even inside a walled trailer, you need to anchor your loads for safety. There are places you can tie binders on, strapping, and other places that won't hold the machine in sudden stops. Take the time to do your loads right, tied down hard and fast, not be sorry about it later on. Lot of weight behind you to be stopping.

Just THINKING of packing up "the Farm" here, gives me a headache!! We also have WAY too much stuff, and it keeps multiplying!! But like any operation, the minute you throw something away or get rid of it, you immediately need "one of those" to survive.

Hope all the moving stuff goes smoothly for you. Make contents LABELS for every container. Will save you LOTS of grief at the other end.

fourfillies
Jun. 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
Oddly I trailer my horses 12 hours without a thought but the thought of moving my tractor is giving me apoplexy. Thanks again for all the ideas and well wishes!

Zu Zu
Jun. 11, 2012, 07:13 PM
Think outside the box ... perhaps your hay man with trucks and flatbeds would be interested in hauling $$$ during his off season ... worked for us ~ :D