PDA

View Full Version : Bat in the house...

mroades
Jun. 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
While that might be awesome in the barn, this is the third time I have been woken up by this nocturnal creature IN MY ROOM!
JRT almost got it this morning but it is a mighty awesome evasive flyer. Oh, and I watched it shimmy under the door to come back in!?
I dont want to kill it, but how do I find it and relocate it??

Nezzy
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:02 AM
they will hide in curtains or up high. they appear much smaller when hanging than they are when flying. Use a coffee can or similar with a piece of cardboard slid under it to get it into the can. return near a tree. they cannot fly easily from a low hieght, they need about 6 ft high to orient and take off, so i try to let them crawl up a tree. Also turn off the lights in the house and open a door or window. ( if possible) they will usually try to get out if they can find their way. Bats will NOT try to hurt you if yiy come near, they will open their mouth to scare you, but they will not attack you in any way so don't be afraid. the only thing they will do is fly away from you. ( i used to rehab bats)

Batcon.org and Batworld.org can help also. good luck

mroades
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I am not afraid...just makes sleeping through the night a bit tough, as I am the world's lightest sleeper.
And this guy must be special because it took off like a Harrier after shimmying under the door...lol!

Nezzy
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:21 AM
They can hide in the tiniest places. But they will come out again. Thanks for not killing him. The bat population is in danger with White nose fungus killing so many.

Zu Zu
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:55 AM
:eek: YIKES !!! YOU ARE VERY BRAVE !~

nasalberry
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
Butterfly net.
:cool:
Go on, ask me about my adept-with-a-net (then) 10 yr old son, and bats in the house :lol:

casper324
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
After spending my first attempts at catching a bat, I learned to simply open the window and it will make its way outside. Then you've got to find how it is getting into your room and block it.

StillHorseCrazy
Jun. 11, 2012, 02:49 PM
After spending my first attempts at catching a bat, I learned to simply open the window and it will make its way outside. Then you've got to find how it is getting into your room and block it.

THIS. It's even better if you can leave the house and come back when it's dark. It's quite likely the bat will be flying around looking for an exit when you return. Open doors/windows, and it will fly out. Super easy.

tle
Jun. 11, 2012, 03:05 PM
My old house had bats in the attic before we got someone to evict them. A couple times they ended up in the living areas. One particular night I remember... the bat interrupted... well... it was the bedroom. Funny now to be sure.

Windows work. I've also thrown a towel or light blanket and managed to trap one... just wore heavy gloves and took him outside.

I love bats. But they are NOT welcome in my house (especially during... you know). ;)

IFG
Jun. 11, 2012, 04:57 PM
I am sorry to sound like the voice of doom, but be careful. I love bats. They eat bugs. They also transmit rabies. If this bat has touched you, you should check with your doctor. People sleeping in rooms have been exposed to rabies unknowingly and died.

Bacardi1
Jun. 11, 2012, 05:22 PM
I am sorry to sound like the voice of doom, but be careful. I love bats. They eat bugs. They also transmit rabies. If this bat has touched you, you should check with your doctor. People sleeping in rooms have been exposed to rabies unknowingly and died.

Sorry, but have to agree with this as well. Love bats, & am a long-time charter supporter/member of Bat Conservation International (http://www.batcon.org/), but even hard-core bat lovers will tell you that if you or your pets have slept in a room with a bat loose in it, your pets are recommended to get rabies boosters, & you're recommended to get the rabies vaccine - UNLESS you've managed to trap the bat the very next morning & have it sent to a lab for testing. You or your pets can easily be bitten by a bat during the night & not even know it. Pretty much all of the people in the U.S. who have died from rabies never even realized they'd been bitten by a bat until it was too late to do anything about it.

And you definitely MUST FIND OUT HOW THE BAT IS GETTING INTO YOUR HOUSE & close up that source. Bats (just like mice) can flatten themselves up amazingly thin & can get through amazingly small spaces. This isn't "cute"; it's dangerous. It's also abnormal behavior this time of year for a bat to purposely continue to enter a home.

Nezzy
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:19 PM
you don't get rabies from being touched by a bat. you would need to be bitten. it comes from their saliva. But if there is any doubt, then check with the CDC.

Just want to add, i have been bitten many times by bats and it hurts BAD. I think you'd know, unless you were ill or incapacitated. I had been vaccinated before working with them.

It is not abnormal behavior for a bat to get into a house at any time of year.

Batworld's Rabies info
http://www.batworld.org/rabies-info/

Bacardi1
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:52 PM
Uh, I don't think anyone said that you can get rabies from being "touched by a bat". Where did you read that??

You CAN, however, get bitten by a bat, particularly while sleeping, & not realize it. THAT'S where the problem rests. Not all bat bites "hurt BAD". And the majority of bat-related rabies deaths in the U.S., rare as they've been, have been via bites wherein the victim didn't even realize they'd been bitten.

HopeandJoy
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
We have a bat that has come into our bedroom a couple of times. It squeezes between the two window screens. No idea why it likes our bedroom so much. We either put a fan in the window or close the window now to keep it out. It won't come in either of the other windows in the house, just the one in the bedroom.

Our method to get it out of the house is to open all of the doors and windows we can and then hold up sheets or towels to herd it out.

Chall
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
I thought you can get Rabies from a dead animal. As in the virus lives for a while outside the body, and if you say, pick up a dead rabid animal, and have an open cut on your hands, if their blood or saliva hits your open cut, you can get rabies without being "bitten" by a live animal. So yeah, be very careful.

mroades
Jun. 11, 2012, 08:16 PM
Umm I can hear a cockroach fart, so I don't think it could bite me without me knowing. I saw it go under the door, kind of like a flying rat...lol.
I am afraid to open the window for too long, for fear of letting other things in!
there are only screens on my windows, the other windows upstairs do not have screens. Is there a way to make a trap??

schneidepc
Jun. 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
We live in the woods in Western NY state and had issues with bats getting into our house for years. Had various "critter guys" out to the house and have done a number of different fixes - including a custom cap for our chimney which one guy said would solve our problem and the next one said was useless. ??? Anyway, knock on wood we haven't had a problem for the last few years. Our experience -- when we would have one in the house -- is that the best thing to do is open as many windows as you can and they will find their way out. Butterfly nets are also useful.

Bats do carry rabies in our area and its a big concern. We never were in direct contact with a bat but I've had a friend who had bats in her attic who had to go through the whole rabies shot routine. Not fun.

If you think you have them nesting in your house (most likely attic) somewhere get a good "critter guy" out. They will install "one way" bat doors so the bats can leave but not return and then once the bats are gone they will seal up all the identified entry points.

Nezzy
Jun. 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Uh, I don't think anyone said that you can get rabies from being "touched by a bat". Where did you read that??

You CAN, however, get bitten by a bat, particularly while sleeping, & not realize it. THAT'S where the problem rests. Not all bat bites "hurt BAD". And the majority of bat-related rabies deaths in the U.S., rare as they've been, have been via bites wherein the victim didn't even realize they'd been bitten.

How would you know? have you ever been bitten by a bat? I have and i am telling you it hurts BADLY every time. the only people who would not feel it are very ill, or incapacitated. The post you Quoted mentioned "if you have been touched by a bat" get checked.

3. A person can be bitten by a bat and not even feel it.
FALLACY. Bat bites feel like sharp needle jabs. According to the United States Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), most people usually know when they have been bitten by a bat. However, a bat bite can be superficial and not easily noticed. Bats have small teeth which may leave marks that are not easily seen, so there are situations in which you should seek medical advice even in the absence of an obvious bite wound. For example, if you awaken and find a bat in your room, see a bat in the room of an unattended child, or see a bat near a mentally impaired or intoxicated person, seek medical advice and have the bat tested.

Nezzy
Jun. 12, 2012, 10:36 AM
I thought you can get Rabies from a dead animal. As in the virus lives for a while outside the body, and if you say, pick up a dead rabid animal, and have an open cut on your hands, if their blood or saliva hits your open cut, you can get rabies without being "bitten" by a live animal. So yeah, be very careful.

you CANNOT get rabies from a dead animal. You do not get it from touching urine, Blood, or feces of a rabid animal. Please check the link i provided above about Rabies.

wildlifer
Jun. 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
Oh my goodness, you cannot get rabies from touching an animal. Or it's pee. Or anything. It's saliva must enter your blood.

And not everything that is out during the day is rabid, for heaven's sake, animals get confused or are young and stupid too.

That said, for your sake and for the sake of the animal's stress level, try to be as hands off as possible.

If you can just open doors and windows and wait, that is the best approach; just let it find its way out. If you have large net, like butterfly net, that can work as well. I use a large towel, throw it over them so they are wrapped in it, then take them outside and use towel to place them up in a tree nook or someplace from whence they can launch. They cannot fly directly from the ground, so I don't leave them there as they would be susceptible to predators until they can climb up something to fly away.

IFG
Jun. 12, 2012, 01:06 PM
People who are sleeping have been bitten and not known it. A man on Cape cod died early this year. Read this info from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/education/

Nezzy
Jun. 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
People who are sleeping have been bitten and not known it. A man on Cape cod died early this year. Read this info from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/education/

i have read the CDCs info. i have taken Rabies Classes. I have worked with/spoken with many other rehabbers. I suppose it could happen, but i certainly have never been bit by a bat and not felt it. Neither has anyone who works with bats.

I feel that someone would have to be on medication and in a deep sleep, possibly rolled onto a bat who is dying of rabies. for this to happen (or Drunk, or have a condition where they do not feel pain)

Bats do not get Frantic rabies like raccoons do, they get dumb rabies and they want to be left alone., they don't go crazy and attack anyone or anything. less than 1% of bats contract rabies.

There is no reason to freak out b/c a bat gets in your house. just do what you can to open the door or window, possibly cover in a can and release it outside.

AKB
Jun. 15, 2012, 07:36 AM
Get rabies vaccine. It isn't worth taking a chance. I talked with a family who lost their physician husband/father to rabies a few years ago. It wasn't a pleasant death.

TrueColours
Jun. 15, 2012, 07:57 AM
We had one last year in our bedroom. I am 90% asleep watching the news and in comes Mr Bat to join us!

Woke hubby up, closed the door to the bedroom, took the screen off the window and kind of "shoed" it through the open window outside with the screen.

The dog thought this new game of "Chase the Bat" was GREAT at 11:30 pm :rolleyes:, we were happy to send him on his way and he was DEFINATELY happy to get the heck out of our house!

I love bats. They are my favorite thing to watch swooping and scooping every night when I come in from doing night check. We have tons of them around here ... :)

leaf
Jun. 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
We've had this discussion before, and it's always good to hear again. Last year or so, here on CotH, there was a five page debate. Wake up with a bat in your room--get the vaccine, according to the CDC. Yeah, but....

Then I woke up with a bat. I got it calmly out of the house, remembering the Bat Rehabiltors words: If it's swooping about the house it doesn't have rabies. Bats get "dumb rabies", they crawl off to die. See a bat on the ground while you're out walking-don't mess with it. They don't get the aggressive type of rabies and try to attack you.

However, check your bed, sheets and blankets before you get in, a bat who's sick and crawled into the bed, well that could be rabies.

I trust Nezzy, the experienced rehabilitator.

Check your bed. Sweet dreams:)

eventgroupie2
Jun. 15, 2012, 09:40 PM
"Check your bed"...... wish we had. Many, many years ago, DH and I came home from vacation, got everything unpacked, etc. etc. etc, and dropped exhausted into our water bed for the night. I heard a really funny noise that I didn't recognize, and turned to "yell" at DH for being asleep already and making noise, just to find out that he was saying the same thing to me! :eek: Noise was coming from between our two pillows.......we both lifted our pillows and there was a bat - sitting there squeaking :eek: All I can say is no one has probably ever seen two rather large people get out of a water bed so fast in their lives :lol: We were able to "capture" it with a pool skimmer and a piece of metal, and returned it unharmed to the great outdoors, which is where I like them to stay :)

Windsor1
Jun. 15, 2012, 09:59 PM
Umm I can hear a cockroach fart

That made me laugh out loud. Just earlier this year I shuffled into my bathroom for the wake-up shower, raised my blinds, and one of the damn things just fell out onto the windowsill. I think it took my brain a moment to even process what the hell it was. So there was the initial bloodcurdling scream (from me, not the bat), then I thought about what I was going to do to get it back outside.

I used the mesh bag you wash your unmentionables in. Gently dropped it over the bat, which seemed more interested in cowering from me than flying, then gently manipulated his (her?) little self into a large mixing bowl with a plastic coat hanger. That was when it made its displeasure most clear. Carried it downstairs in the bowl with the mesh bag covering it up to discourage it from trying to fly out. Made it outside, lifted the mesh bag, and off it flew. Later I kicked myself for not having thought to take a photo. I almost wanted it to come back and visit, but without dropping unexpectedly out of my blinds. :)

I would never have considered harming it in any way. It obviously wanted to get away from me as much as I wanted it out.

mroades
Jun. 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
Bat has left the building...thanks for all the advice, we found a cracked window in an unused room upstairs.

sophie
Jun. 16, 2012, 08:00 PM
One Summer evening, at my in-laws, in their guest bedroom...I lower the metal shutters for the night, and IN swoops a little bat.

Hubby quickly gets out of the room and closes the door behind him, leaving me alone with the bat.

I'm not scared of bats, but I am aware of rabies, so I was not about to touch the animal, however, I was able to look at it closely (it was clinging to the wall paper) and the little thing was soooo cute.
Got a waste basket and released it into the wild.

Am still laughing at Hubby's chivalry, and bringing up that story any chance I get!