PDA

View Full Version : Another goat saga...got up to find....PICS now

spook1
Jun. 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
a BABY!!!!!!!!!:eek:

So as some of you may have read I lost my goat last week after 3 weeks and a lot of money to save her. My mare was very depressed though she had mostly stopped fence walking 2 days after Noel passed. I started to look for another companion for her and looked at a few but none that had the personality I was looking for. After calling a lady who said she had 12 in a mixed herd she had to find homes for since she had just lost her leg in a accident. She wanted homes that would not eat them since she had raised all of them. I thought I wanted a wether but all of hers had like 2 foot horns which scared me a bit though Noel had horns they were small and curved back. She had 2 does that I liked both had potbellies (pigmy) so the bellies were normal. The nanny I really liked the better of the 2 kinda had a bigger utter......so I asked is she prego????? She says No the bucks are in a separated pasture. My ignorance came though here huh...:no: (flame suit on;) )

So this morning to my surprise there is the CUTEST baby litterally bouncing around the stall! I can not believe its was only a few hours old when I first seen her and she was running around and just bouncing everywhere. I called Lady back and say "oh that goat WAS prego" she said she didn't know how that happened.........:no:

Anyway Mom and baby are doing great it seems. Baby is eating good,pooping and peeing. Mom is doing well and seems to be a good mom for a first time mom (or so I was told). The mare is also a being a great Grandmom ...sorta ...lol (no worries mare has been separated but can see and smell them) I am going to call my vet tomorrow to see when he came come do a well being check on both.

Long Spot
Jun. 10, 2012, 07:00 PM
Surely you know you are taking your life in your hands by making this post with no pictures of the little one!

spook1
Jun. 10, 2012, 07:06 PM
UGH I know ....I am sorry.....I don't have a Permian account:(...But I do have some

Epona142
Jun. 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
Just upload them to photobucket or the like and link us.

Goats are very good at getting pregnant. LOL.

Is the little one a boy or girl. You'll want to handle the baby so it will be tame, and wether it when the time comes if it's a boy. Baby goats are quite delicate, but if it has good shelter (I remember you saying your goat did) and can stay out of the wet/cold, it should be alright.

Does the other doe have an udder? An udder generally means a doe that is nursing or pregnant. Most udder up in the last eight to four weeks of pregnancy.

Or did you only get the one doe - I wasn't sure. :)

spook1
Jun. 10, 2012, 07:37 PM
Epona,
I hemmed and hawed about getting 2 goats but Noel was great being a only goat so I only got the one doe. And her and the horse hit it off good....well the mare more then the goat...lol The baby is a little girl thank goodness. I have mom and baby locked in their own 10x10 stall. Was kinda worried the mare would accidentally step on her and worried about predators. I had just bedded it with new shavings but I made two "hay beds" in the stall. Seemed better for the baby then laying on the shavings. Ill have the goat vet out this week just to check both of them.

When I called the Lady back I told she might watch her others Does since she didn't realize this one was prego. I have been googling "baby" care....lol The Lady did say that though she didn't want to take her back she would. Its clear that she needs to lighten her load sooooo. She assured me the baby would be easy to raise as long as mom was caring for her which she seems to be doing.

MunchingonHay
Jun. 10, 2012, 07:37 PM
Surely you know you are taking your life in your hands by making this post with no pictures of the little one!

There is a new member in the driving forum and I warned her that CoTH has one rule that may never be broken....and its the photo rule. :lol::winkgrin:
I need to see baby kid pictures !!!;)

spook1
Jun. 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
ok lets see if this works
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv35/tazrus1/photo.jpg

spook1
Jun. 10, 2012, 08:17 PM
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv35/tazrus1/photo-1.jpg

Ok I will say they are not a smart as Noel. They have a choice of 2 "hay beds" and 1 shaving bed and they are always on the parts thats not...:eek: Goofy goats

Epona142
Jun. 10, 2012, 08:27 PM
Soooooo sweet.

Congrats on the baby, again. She will fill you with laughter once she starts bouncing off the walls. I never grow tired of it.

If your horse is calm, the chances of an accident are slim, once the baby has it's legs together and can get out of the way if horsie decides to trot off.

I keep my babies in a stall for a day or two, then into a smaller pen for a few days, and then back out with the herd (ponies included) after that, and they do just fine.

Carolinadreamin'
Jun. 10, 2012, 08:29 PM
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv35/tazrus1/photo-1.jpg

Ok I will say they are not a smart as Noel. They have a choice of 2 "hay beds" and 1 shaving bed and they are always on the parts thats not...:eek: Goofy goats

Good heavens, those are adorable.

cowboymom
Jun. 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
OMG you're so lucky! All I want in the world is a baby goatie and DH will only agree to wethers... (he's no dummy) :lol:

That is the baby goat of my dreams, congrats! I think this has turned out great! :yes:

BasqueMom
Jun. 10, 2012, 10:51 PM
Too freaking cute!!! Congrats!

Nes
Jun. 11, 2012, 08:49 AM
Your momma looks just like our new little baby goat! Same colouring.

If you're worried about horns (and with good reason, I've gotten a few bruises on the bum from my goats!) you should contact a knowledgeable breeder in your area who can help you remove them. (As in, obviously not the lady you got the goat from!! :) ) Doe goats should be done around 10 days.

I've also been warned to vaccinate for Entro, if nothing else, in baby goats.

Fias Co Goat (http://fiascofarm.com/goats/index.htm) is a great resource for all goat information.

Good luck! :)

nasalberry
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
Buckling or doeling?

spook1
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hi All,
Its a little doeling. And my vet called be back and will be out to check them this week. Yes I want to have her dehorned! The vet will address that too:D

Thank you for all the kind posts! She is to cute!

Frank B
Jun. 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Resistance is futile. You're hooked!

Trevelyan96
Jun. 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
Just too cute!

We are going to rent some goats this summer to clean the back 40. I'm really, really worried that the whole famiy will be hooked and want one of our own.

Guin
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:33 PM
Cuteness! But they must have names!

D Taylor
Jun. 11, 2012, 08:07 PM
Name?!?!?! Name?!?!?!....

My vote is Twice Blessed if you have not named her already.

Happy Endings are the best part of every story.

Guin
Jun. 11, 2012, 08:19 PM
Two-fer!

Plainandtall
Jun. 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
Congratulations! Both mama and baby are real cuties!