View Full Version : Shedrow PLANS - I need blueprints!

Jun. 10, 2012, 04:34 PM
I've looked high and low, but can't seem to find any GOOD shedrow plans for the baby farm. We have 4+ acres, so I'm going to stick to ONE horse with a friend (I should be so lucky if this friend happens to be a goat, or better yet, a chicken, but I doubt it.). Ideal building size would be 24 x 36-40. I have a CAB now, but had a shedrow in Hawaii and LOVED it. I want 2/3 stalls with an overhang and tack room at the end. I can always use one stall for all the things I don't want in my tack room. A bit like the last one in this photo gallery: http://www.woodysbarns.com/horse_barns/horse_barns_2
but I need the construction drawings/plans to give to my builder. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? Thank you!

Jun. 11, 2012, 08:24 PM
I also love the shedrow designs and can't wait to have one on my farm at some point. Sand Creek Post & Beam has a great shed row barn: http://sandcreekpostandbeam.com/pavillion_shelters. If you click on the picture of the "Champion" style you will see the general floor plan.

Another option to check out are the AG Extension Barn plans that are out there. Google "extension barn plans" and a bunch of options pop up. Most of them are a little old school but take a look at these two and see if you and your builder can modify to your liking:

Best of luck.

Jun. 12, 2012, 12:52 AM
At one point I had a 3 stall shed row, with a tack room on one end, and a feed room on the other. I LOVED that stable. In the winter the horses were much warmer when I shut top doors at night than in big center aisle barns that you could only shut doors on. It faced west, so in the summer, the wide aisle''row' kept the sun off the horses. Enjoy!

Jun. 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
Charliezmom - thanks for these! I like "5838" plan and think we might be able to alter it to work, but that's exactly what I was thinking of! I just love the way the look and feel, especially for a small barn. It just feels brighter and friendlier and I think I'm going to LOVE being able to look out my windows and see their heads poking over their stall doors. I wish there were more photos out there of "upscale" or really customized little shedrows - that's partly the reason they're so attractive to me, that I can add all the little extras I really want because I only have two stalls!

Jun. 12, 2012, 10:44 PM
Where are you located? We had a shed row barn at our previous house, and it was very hot in the summer. We had not made the overhang big enough or the roof high enough. We had a metal roof that made the barn like an oven in the summer.

Our current barn is a 4 stall center aisle barn with stall doors opening to the aisle and the outside, with 8' overhangs outside each stall. I wish the overhangs were 12' to keep all of the sun out of the stalls in the summer, but otherwise am very happy with the barn. We are in hot and humid Northern VA, so designing for the summers is really important.

We owned a house in Blacksburg, VA where the winters were more of a concern. Summers were not so dreadfully hot. Our barn there was perfect. We had a 3 stall shed row barn with a 12' overhang in front of the stalls. The builder insisted on enclosing the overhang on the long side. He was absolutely correct. The wind whipped across the hill in the wintertime, and would have blown snow and cold air under the overhang and into the stalls if it hadn't been enclosed.

Think carefully about your weather when you do your design.

Jun. 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
Where are you located? We had a shed row barn at our previous house, and it was very hot in the summer. We had not made the overhang big enough or the roof high enough. We had a metal roof that made the barn like an oven in the summer.

Was your roof insulated? And do you know how high your roof peaked?

Thinking about doing a shedrow (because of funds), but im in TN, and heat is a huge concern for me. I like the "22 x 46 Breezeway Barn with 10 x 36 ally way and 10 x 22 tack room" and am wondering if the high roof would be better than a lower roof.

Jun. 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
I want a shed row barn as well & I love looking for barn layouts
I am not any where near having my own farm...But one day!

Jun. 14, 2012, 12:39 AM
I taught lessons at a farm in Atlanta which had a 5 stall shedrow for the school horses. We loved it. The barn faced West so the afternoon sun could be intense. To combat this we had pull down shade fabric screens attached to the overhang/aisle side. Pulled them down for shade and put them back up when no longer needed. The stalls had dutch doors. The doors were really helpful on the nights when we had a strong cold wind or sleet storm. We could shut the doors and keep the horses warm. Or leave them open so the horses could enjoy all the fresh air.

Jun. 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
LSU have a bunch of plans; http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/our_offices/departments/Biological_Ag_Engineering/Features/Extension/Building_Plans/horse/

Like this one;http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/46EE666C-945F-4A42-8966-1376D4CBD668/14138/5038RidingHorseBarn.pdf

Jun. 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
I have been seriously contemplating modifying some of these shed-row plans to enclose them, with a big overhang off the stall side instead, with attached run-outs, and have a narrower barn (vs. the center aisle concept). I would love feedback. I am in a cold climate area (although we can hit 100 in the summer occasionally) but I would really like my horses to live outside 24x7 360 ;) days a year.

I am really drawn to the idea of minimalizing the barn space and putting more $ towards an all-weather (and hopefully building an indoor someday).