PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Horse Books from way back when

Lord Helpus
Nov. 30, 2000, 02:30 PM
On another thread someone mentioned "Pamela and the Blue Mare", and I immediately went back 40 years in time. Oh what memories!

That was my favorite. My second favorite was "Challenger" about 2 girls going to the CPHA Medal finals.

My third favorite was "Hobby Horse Hill" about a family who kept their horses at home and all the fun they had (a dream of mine when I was a kid.)

Of course, I also read every Black Stallion, Island Stallion book, and the Marguerite Henry books. But to have someone mention "Pamela and the Blue Mare" is just TOO MUCH!

Anyone know where such books might be bought?

Lord Helpus
Nov. 30, 2000, 02:30 PM
On another thread someone mentioned "Pamela and the Blue Mare", and I immediately went back 40 years in time. Oh what memories!

That was my favorite. My second favorite was "Challenger" about 2 girls going to the CPHA Medal finals.

My third favorite was "Hobby Horse Hill" about a family who kept their horses at home and all the fun they had (a dream of mine when I was a kid.)

Of course, I also read every Black Stallion, Island Stallion book, and the Marguerite Henry books. But to have someone mention "Pamela and the Blue Mare" is just TOO MUCH!

Anyone know where such books might be bought?

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 30, 2000, 02:36 PM
You are a person after my heart. I have my tattered copy of Pamela and the Blue Mare!

How about "Fools over Horses", or any of the Dorothy Lyons books? Rutherford Montgomery, Glenn Balch, Paul Brown, etc.

I use www.abebooks.com (http://www.abebooks.com) they search many used book stores and save your "wants" and will email you when copies are found. They are very good about the description of the condition of the texts and usually offer several choices in varying dollar amounts.

Sleepy
Nov. 30, 2000, 02:46 PM
Someone else on the BB put me on to www.bibliofind.com (http://www.bibliofind.com) Be aware though that this old book hunt can be an addiction even worse than tack shops. LOL

Lord Helpus
Nov. 30, 2000, 02:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
You are a person after my heart. I have my tattered copy of Pamela and the Blue Mare!

How about "Fools over Horses", or any of the Dorothy Lyons books? Rutherford Montgomery, Glenn Balch, Paul Brown, etc.

I use www.abebooks.com (http://www.abebooks.com) they search many used book stores and save your "wants" and will email you when copies are found. They are very good about the description of the condition of the texts and usually offer several choices in varying dollar amounts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the site. Whenever you *next* pull out Pamela and the Blue Mare (and I am jealous!) could you either post or email me with the author's name?

Also, anyone who has a copy of "Challenger", I would love the author's name (and perhaps the publisher, if that is information that would help in a search).

Thanks a lot. Oh, to have these books again. It is scary how vivid my memories of them are...

Quinn
Nov. 30, 2000, 02:52 PM
Great Heart by C.W. Anderson. Wonderful story.

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 30, 2000, 02:57 PM
Go to this link and print it off. I think you must be remembering Pamela and the Blue
Mare go to the Olympic Trials, sequel to the first. I have the original book where Pamela raises the mare and hunts and shows in the Corinthian class against the MFH, etc.
http://www.prairienet.org/jjahiel/resources/ficjuv.txt
This is a wonderful list of many old favorites.

How about "Coppers Chance" and "Scarlet Royal" or the wonderful one with the girl who inherits a mare and gelding from her uncle. Gazelle is killed in a stable fire but she goes on to show Bluebird in jumpers.

Here is another in order by author with synopsis.
http://members.aol.com/pamsbooks/horses.html

[This message has been edited by Everythingbutwings (edited 11-30-2000).]

Lord Helpus
Nov. 30, 2000, 03:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
[B]Go to this link and print it off. I think you must be remembering Pamela and the Blue
Mare go to the Olympic Trials, sequel to the first. I have the original book where Pamela raises the mare and hunts and shows in the Corinthian class against the MFH, etc.
http://www.prairienet.org/jjahiel/resources/ficjuv.txt
This is a wonderful list of many old favorites.

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG you just made my day! I had no idea there was a sequel. The only one I had was the first where Pamela was scared of horses and she and the blue mare got together and she won everything at the hunter trials and her grandfather gave her the horse. (Hope I didn't give theending away to anyone who is aobut to read it. LOL.)

And now they go to the Olympics..... Sigh.

Looking back, since my name is Pamela, now I know where I got my penchant for gray horses!

Dementia 13
Nov. 30, 2000, 03:23 PM
What about Jane McIlvane McClary's "Cammie" books? I loved those when I was a kid, especially the first one where she learns to ride Brave Sabrina. I'd love to find those books but have been unsuccessful so far.

Non-fiction, but I also loved (and still read to this day) Jane Dillon's "School for Young Riders" and "Form over Fences"

Another good one is Florence Hightower's "Dark Horse of Woodfield."

And let's not forget "Billy and Blaze."

Willow
Nov. 30, 2000, 03:51 PM
"Can I Get There By Candlelight?" by Jean Slaughter Doty. Amazing book, if you haven't read it yet you are missing out on a GREAT story!

Beezer
Nov. 30, 2000, 04:05 PM
Patsey Gray, Patsey Gray, Patsey Gray! Her "Horsepower" book is still one of my most dog-eared favorites. "Blue Ribbon Summer" and "Jumping Jack" are also good. Those are her main ones about "our" world, but she has several others worth checking out. (As with most old kids' horse books, though, you usually have to settle for buying the ex-library ones ... but that doesn't seem to hurt the price or collectibility, since there seem to be so few of them around!)

After all the praise of Pamela and her mare, I will have to go looking for them ... have never heard of them. Maybe it's an East Coast vs. West Coast thing? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ccoronios
Nov. 30, 2000, 04:05 PM
There was a collection of shorts by - - CJ Anderson comes to mind? - - only remember one, the last...about a old gray horse who had turned a millstone his whole life - they retired him, turned him out in a wonderful grassy field with shade trees and a creek. He moped and lost weight and was generally depressed because he felt worthless. One day, he heard the mill whistle blow as he was standing near a tree. He started walking around it...until he heard the next whistle.. And he gained weight, felt good about himself again -
and I'm sitting here at work with tears in my eyes just remembering it. It is SO important to have value in your life - right up to the end.....

Lord Helpus
Nov. 30, 2000, 04:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beezer:
Patsey Gray, Patsey Gray, Patsey Gray! Her "Horsepower" book is still one of my most dog-eared favorites. "Blue Ribbon Summer" and "Jumping Jack" are also good. Those are her main ones about "our" world, but she has several others worth checking out. (As with most old kids' horse books, though, you usually have to settle for buying the ex-library ones ... but that doesn't seem to hurt the price or collectibility, since there seem to be so few of them around!)

After all the praise of Pamela and her mare, I will have to go looking for them ... have never heard of them. Maybe it's an East Coast vs. West Coast thing? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just found out, thanks to the link provided by everythingbutwings (geeze it is hard to type athat without putting in spaces...) that Patsey Gray is the author of the book "Challenger" that was my second fave of all time! And it took place at Cow Palace (Grand National). When I was a kid, I was used to MSG and the maclay finals, so I thought that the author of challenger didn't know whereof she spoke, until I moved to Woodside, Ca and showed at Cow Palace. Then it all made sense....

Pamela ... is a VERY east coast book (hunter trials/fox hunting etc.) ---veddy vedy Virginia...

But, as a cross cultural experience, it would be a good read for anyone /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Authors discovered:

Pamela and the Blue Mare: Alice O'Connell
Challenger: Patsey Gray
Hobby Horse Hill: Lavinia R. Davis

Beezer
Nov. 30, 2000, 04:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
(Originally posted by PamM)

I just found out, thanks to the link provided by everythingbutwings (geeze it is hard to type athat without putting in spaces...) that Patsey Gray is the author of the book "Challenger" that was my second fave of all time! And it took place at Cow Palace (Grand National). When I was a kid, I was used to MSG and the maclay finals, so I thought that the author of challenger didn't know whereof she spoke, until I moved to Woodside, Ca and showed at Cow Palace. Then it all made sense.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doh! I think I might even have "Challenger" sitting on a bookshelf at home. If not, I will definitely have to go hunting for it. And the Cow Palace indeed used to be "the" in place for the Northern California set; it's a grand place, isn't it? Our version of the indoors. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It's been so long since I've been up that way ... do they still hold hunter shows at the Cow Palace? We used to show up in Santa Rosa (and Sacramento) a lot but haven't been up there in years....

But back to books.... Anyone remember "Dark Sunshine" by Dorothy Lyons? Or "Blue Roan"? Anything by Jean Doty is great....

And speaking of East versus West, several years ago when I was at a bookseller in Cambridge, Mass., who specialized in horse books, she highly praised a kids book that had a title along the lines of "Silver Spurs" or ??? I know it had "spurs" in the title and it was about hunters; she said she could never keep copies in stock because all the "pony moms" who read it as kids have to find it again for THEIR pony-riding kids. Anyone have a clue about what book she meant?

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 30, 2000, 05:00 PM
Dorothy Lyons really got around the horse world! Silver Birch, Midnight Moon, Golden Soveriegn and Copper Khan were all in a series of saddle seat and driving. Smoke Rings was (I think) about cutting horses, Dark Sunshine with they crippledgirl, Blythe, Red Embers about polo, Blue Smoke and it's sequel were California 3 day horses and another was about an Appy mare, can't remember the name right now. OH! Bright Wampum!

Wonderful stories. Fools over Horses is VERY much the Virginia setting, girl trying to raise hunters on her family estate, family friend (non horsey good guy) tries to save the place from going for taxes.

There was another about the hunt country that was more like a soap opera (seemier side of the classy set), I remember a big to do over the highway cutting through the hunt territory. Loads of horses, sex and partys. Had a scene reminiscent of the Godfather - drat! Can't remember the title.

How about the wonderful illustrators? Paul Brown, Sam Savitt, Wesley Dennis, C.W. Anderson? I loved Paul Brown's "Silver Heels" and "Pony Farm" Thelwell had nothing on his ponies!

[This message has been edited by Everythingbutwings (edited 11-30-2000).]

LaurieB
Nov. 30, 2000, 05:21 PM
I've been lurking avidly for about a week, succeeding nobly in resisting the urge to sign on, but mention of Pamela and the Blue Mare did it. How I loved that book! And the sequel, too. Also everything by Patsy Gray, especially Horse in her Heart. Dorothy Lyons and Jane McIlvaine were favorites as well. Did anyone else like Afraid to Ride by CW Anderson? (By the way, is it okay to jump in or do I need to introduce myself somewhere first?)

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 30, 2000, 05:33 PM
Nope, we know you now! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You will have to learn the smilies, though, there WILL be a test!

How about "Black Horse of Culver" or "Frog, the Horse that Knew no Master"? I have found that if you have one book that you really like, go to one of the book match search engines and search on the author's name. You will find a treasure trove of others by the same person, some times add that name as illustrator and another gold mine.

Oh, we can't leave out Judy Van der Veer's "Hold the Rein Free" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Golly, I love books.

EarthTo?
Nov. 30, 2000, 05:44 PM
This thread wasn't limited to books of fiction, so I would like to nominate the instructional book that I loved as a child -- "Heads Up, Heels Down" -- my favorite, hands down. :-)

As far as works of fiction, I echo Everythingbutwings, I loved "Frog"

Incidentally, Everythingbutwings, noticed you mentioned "Black Horse of Culver" -- my uncle (retired US Army colonel) commanded Culver Institute's Black Horse Troup during the 60's and instructed all of the riders in it. I remember going to visit them in Indiana in about 1961 and touring the stables.

Anyplace Farm
Nov. 30, 2000, 05:47 PM
Anything by Jean Slaughter-Doty and I loved "The Bonnie Books". Did anyone else read those?

LisaW-B
Nov. 30, 2000, 06:00 PM
Yes to the Bonnie books, Jean Slaughter Doty, Patsey Gray, etc.!

Patsey Gray lived in the East Bay and used to show her Quarter Horse at schooling shows at Heather Farms Park in Walnut Creek, for you East Bay'ers. When I was a kid, I was *SO* totally in awe of her. Once my parents parked our truck and trailer next to hers.... I was WAY too shy to say hello, but I spent more of that show staring at her (and wishing I could be her when I grew up--a rider AND a writer) than looking after my pony. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by LisaW-B (edited 11-30-2000).]

Robby Johnson
Nov. 30, 2000, 06:12 PM
I read vociferously as a child. I still manage at least one good novel a year, and a few "how-to horsey" books as well. I would love to read a novel every month but riding and dogs and work just take up too much of my time.

My favorite horse books as a child were three that I bought at our school book fair.

"A Horse Like Mr. Ragman," which was about a girl from a working class family whose father purchased her a pinto pony that turned out to be a star jumper

"For Love of a Horse," which was about this family who moved from England to Scotland and the daughter tamed this wild Arabian mare who'd escaped from the carnival and almost died on the moor (I know, heavy drama now that I just read that)

"The Summer Riders," which was the sequel to "For Love of a Horse." Pretty good too, when one is 10 years-old.

I read many of the Black/Island stallion books, and a book called "Thunder, Mighty Stallion of the Hills."

Robby

dmj
Nov. 30, 2000, 07:07 PM
Oh my gosh BONNIE!! I had almost forgotten. Memories! Also loved "A Very Young Rider" can't remember the author; and the books on famous racers (Farley?) Man O' War, Ruffian...oh and Black Gold by Margeurite Henry. Sob!!

baymare
Nov. 30, 2000, 07:26 PM
Ccoronios the short story you described I am almost sure is from Marguerite Henry's "Album of Horses", beautifully illustrated by Wesley Dennis. It was a huge favorite, along with her "King of the Wind" and others.

Paul Brown (I lucked into a copy of National Velvet with the Paul Brown illustrations at a used book store this fall), C.W. Anderson, and Wesley Dennis are favorite illustrators. I remember "Pamela" and the Dorothy Lyons books. Also, years ago an adult student of mine who had ridden with the late great Gordon Wright lent me her copies of a couple of fiction works of his. One I remember had to do with a lovely young heroine who had lost her confidence, whose beautiful divorced or widowed mother kept meeting the trainer over cocktails....

daytimedrama
Nov. 30, 2000, 09:59 PM
Keeping Barney
You're somebody special on a horse.
A very young rider
Summer horse
Winter horse
Dark horse

Ozman
Nov. 30, 2000, 10:05 PM
I used to read Saddle Club series. Or something with that sort of name. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

showjump
Nov. 30, 2000, 10:10 PM
The Showgypsies----I can't remember who wrote it. What a book. It's out of print now I think. Similar to Riders but based in US.

sprite
Nov. 30, 2000, 10:27 PM
OMG Robby, i didnt know anyone else but me read Mr Ragman and For Love of a Horse!!! LOL

The Fields of Praise, about an english girl who helps train, and rides, a pony to grand champion at the horse of the year show...

The Year of the Horse, about the canadian girl w/ the strange family who rides with the rich family when the son gives it up...

I have all the Bonnie books!!!!

anything by Jean Slaughter Doty...

Dark Horse Barnaby. And the one where the mare is stuck in the valley, heavily pregnant, and the girl has to get her back up the hill.

CW Anderson...Mary O'Hara...Marguerite Henry...

Dark Sunshine...Blue Smoke ( that was the one about cutting horses). boy this brings back memories!!

Lori
Nov. 30, 2000, 10:40 PM
Some of my favorites:
Jean Slaughter Doty, Pony care and Horsemanshop for Beginners. Read over and over and over.....
A Very Young Rider, Jill K.
Margaret Cabell Self, countless books!
Patsey Gray!
Wow, others too numerous to mention! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Storybook
Dec. 1, 2000, 01:38 AM
I love the book threads! Its probably the only time I usually post--too shy to speak up on the others...But somehow the librarian that I am can talk about this one!

My childhood library had tons of old kid's horsey fiction that I just devoured. Some of the ones mention in the others posts I've read. Some, like Pamela & the Blue Mare, I have just caught up with--I'm keeping the Interlibrary Loan librarian very busy!

I especially loved K.M. Peyton's books--the Flambards trilogy and the Fly-By-Night books (Fly-by-Night, The Team, & one other...). Petyon also wrote a book under another name that was kind of neat--a girl finds a racehorse on the beach and "appropriates" it for herself during WWII England. That one is called Sabre, the Horse From the Sea (by Kathleen Herald).

I also liked one called "Everyday Friends" about a girl who takes up riding after she's quit about every other hobby/sport she's ever done. Darned if I can remember the author's name right now.

Jessie Haas' book "Working Trot" about a working student was also wonderful. She also wrote Keeping Barney and A Horse Like Barney.

I loved all of Jean Slaughter Doty's books, Sam Savitt's, C.W. Anderson's, Nancy Caffrey's, Walter Farley's (his story about Man O'War is great!)...Just too many to count.

Another place to find used books is Alibris. I haven't used it, but it was heavily advertised at the library conferences-- http://www.alibris.com/

Please keep all the titles coming--I feel the need to catch up on all the series & horse books I missed (how did I miss the Bonnie series that everyone's posted about!) ILL will be getting a good workout.

Bertie
Dec. 1, 2000, 02:25 AM
ETBW & Earthto?, I loved Frog, too. And Heads Up, Heels Down. Also Stormy (not Misty's Foal, although I loved that too), a cute Little Golden Book(?) about a TB colt who was born too late in the season and was left behind when his older buddies went off to become racehorses.

Anybody read "Horse Fever"? I loved horses before that, but that book got me hooked on H/J's.

Saddlebag
Dec. 1, 2000, 02:28 AM
And let's not forget Jane McIlvaine's "Copper's Chance"...it embodied every fantasy of a pubescent horse crazy pre-teen...the wild but talented horse that no one but the heroine could ride...the ruggedly handsome young son of the community's wealthiest family (who choses beautiful but impoverished Copper over the debutante snob because he is smitten by Copper's talent as a horsewoman...and there's fox hunting, horse shows, hunt racing..and (of course), Chance (The former rogue..now transformed into a champion) excels at all disciplines...Omigod!! I must have read it several times a week!! I still have that same old frayed and worn copy of the book...and to this day, I marvel at the wonderful Paul Brown illustrations.

And what about all the great Will James books..."Smoky The Cowhorse" .."Flint Spear".
And then there were the John Tainter Foote short stories about horse Racing..."The Look of Eagles"...I could go on reading those forever.

BTW...for those of you who go to the UK...the village of Hay-On-Wye in Wales is a booklover's heaven...The entire town is made up of used bookstores...I went nuts when I was last there...I even found (and bought) a 1953 AHSA Rulebook!

J. Turner
Dec. 1, 2000, 08:52 AM
An old, old book called "The White Pony in the Hills" is sooooo good. It's very thick (for a little kid anyway). It's told in the 3rd person omniscient so you get into the mid of the pony -- so cute -- as well as the human characters. It about a mother and daughter who ride(!) from Boston to Vermont to find a farm to buy to raise ponies, which they do. The pony's dilemma is that his "mistress" is growing out of him, which makes him jealous of the horses which she rides. It's awesome.

My source for horsie books of old is the Bryn Mawr Booksale. My grandmother is an alumnae (note feminine Latin ending - can I get the Merriam Webster Award?) and volunteered for years. She always picked me up horsie books. They have them in all parts of the country, whereever there's an alumnae chapter.

Lord Helpus
Dec. 1, 2000, 09:04 AM
Thank you all who provided links to bookfinding companies. So far I have located Challenger (Patsey Gray) and Hobby Horse Hill(Lavinia R. Davis). but, SOB, no copies of Pamela or the sequel. I will perservere, now that I am on a mission.

BTW, for horse crazy teens nowadays, there is a series of books called the Thoroughbred series. I helped provide background and setting for one of the books and was rewarded by being put in a book as the friendly horse trainer who befriends the 16 year old champion-jockey-in-the-making. And my horse was put in as a stakes winner which she rides (NOT the hero horse of course). But he actually won a stakes in the book, which is certainly more than he ever did in real life. LOL

For those of you buying books for a 12 year old girl, it is #40 in the series and is called "Ultimate Risk".... (my boy is Decisive Moment and I am the wonderful, warm, understanding trainer, Pam Mahony /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and another of my horses, Commanche Trail, got a mention also!)

What fun!

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 1, 2000, 09:11 AM
Did I leave out Glenn Balch?

"Christmas Horse", "Indian Paint", oh the list keeps growing!

Anyone looking for an inexpensive new one for young kids, American Girls has a new one out called "Girls and Their Horse" which has short true stories about Vaulting, junior rodeo, the Chincoteague auction, junior hunters and has a load of horse trading cards as well (The mare in the Andalusian pic belongs to my instructor!)

The book is under $10

LaurieB
Dec. 1, 2000, 10:38 AM
How about Somebody's Pony about a pair of horse crazy twins who find a lost pony only to discover when they take it to a show that it's a famous show pony? I found a copy of this book at a used book sale, signed by illustrator Jeanne Mellin (who's currently doing wonderful equine portraits.)

By the way if anyone is interested in more current books, a friend of mine named Jody Jaffe wrote three mysteries that take place on the horse show circuit in and around North Carolina. The titles are: Horse of A Different Killer, Chestnut Mare Beware, and In Colt Blood. All three are out in paperback.

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 1, 2000, 10:40 AM
Jody Jaffe's books are great, someone posted not long ago that there aren't any more in the works though. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Rita Mae Brown has a bunch (written with her cat, Sneaky Pie) that are set in the town of Crozet, VA and are fun.

Cinco de Mayo
Dec. 1, 2000, 11:28 AM
Danza! by Lynn Hall. It is an awesome story about a champion Paso Fino and the boy who cares for him. A wonderful find in my middle-school library!

Weatherford
Dec. 1, 2000, 12:08 PM
Pamela didn't make the Olympics (women weren't allowed in eventing or sj til 1960)

Here are some previous book threads: http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001552.html http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001647.html

there are more, but I haven't time to find them at this moment.

I have been putting Pamela into a pdf file for people to read. Email me directly.

And I am still looking for volunteers to help organize my book barn (I used to be a dealer)... hehe!

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 1, 2000, 12:13 PM
Is Danza the one where the Paso founders?

LaurieB
Dec. 1, 2000, 01:39 PM
I used to know Lynn Hall but it occurs to me now that someone's mentioned her that we've been out of touch for a couple of years. I know she had 2 Paso Finos that she adored. Another very good recent book is Outfoxed by Rita Mae Brown (who was mentioned above.)

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 1, 2000, 01:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
Another very good recent book is Outfoxed by Rita Mae Brown (who was mentioned above.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Riding Shotgun is good as well.

Cinco de Mayo
Dec. 1, 2000, 01:48 PM
Is Danza the one where the Paso founders?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Wings, he founders then comes back to win the championship at the show but the minute he steps out of the arena he is dead lame from the performance he gave. I love that book-especially the part where the boy takes the young show horse out for a ride and lets him perform the faster gaits-corto and largo- although he was only supposed to do the fino; it reminds me how when we were kids we would see just HOW high our hunter ponies could jump/HOW fast they could gallop.

horsenut
Dec. 1, 2000, 02:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robby Johnson:
"For Love of a Horse," which was about this family who moved from England to Scotland and the daughter tamed this wild Arabian mare who'd escaped from the carnival and almost died on the moor (I know, heavy drama now that I just read that)

"The Summer Riders," which was the sequel to "For Love of a Horse." Pretty good too, when one is 10 years-old

Robby<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my gosh! I'd forgotten all about those books and I ADORED them. It seemed so hard to find horsey books when I was a kid -- now they've got all this Saddle Club stuff.

Oh, and "Summer Pony" and "Winter Pony"!! I loved them!! That link to Alibris.com is going to be the death of me ... they HAVE a lot of this stuff!

Did anyone else ever read "Scarlet Royal" by Anne Emery? I must've taken that book out of the library DOZENS of times.

Coreene
Dec. 1, 2000, 02:55 PM
A great source for used books that you can't find in the US, or if you know re specific British authors that you're after, is www.paperbackshop.co.uk. (http://www.paperbackshop.co.uk.) I bought four big fat paperbacks from them and, with airmail, it cost $22. And they were in great condition.

I love all these book threads we have, but you have cost me a ton of money! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Serenade
Dec. 1, 2000, 08:22 PM
One of my favorites is "Ride the Wild Storm" about an asthmatic city boy who spends a summer in Nantucket and becomes stronger and more independent after he befriends an islander and learns to take care of a grey mare, Salty. (holy run-on!) It's a pretty typical story line, but the setting is neat.

Jennie
Dec. 2, 2000, 01:02 AM
I can't believe I read through this whole post and nobody has said "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell. It was the first horse book I read, in 2nd grade. The librarian didn't want to let me take it out because she thought it was too advanced for me. I remember reading snatches in the few minutes between getting dressed and leaving the house before school I was so enthralled and couldn't put it down. I now prowl used book stores looking for the same copy with the great color illustrations this particular version had, but haven't found it yet. Instead, I've now started collecting various versions. I'll check some of the links here - thanks. This is the book that still brings tears to my eyes everytime I read it.

Also, I have "Horsemanship for Beginners" by Jean Slaughter - must be before she got married. I noticed a few years ago in the Acknowledgement that the kids' pictures in the book included George Morris, Victor Hugo-Vidal, Ronnie Mutch, among others. I took the book with me to a George Morris clinic and got him to sign a pic of him as a kid (pg. 57) cantering through a field - really put a smile on his face, he thought that was great, hadn't seen the book in ages.

Jennie
Dec. 2, 2000, 01:25 AM
I just went to some of the links and realize there are so many versions of "Black Beauty" out there. Does anyone know this one, which is probably printed 1950's or earlier, contains many black and white and color illustrations. The color ones include, to the best of my memory: Black Beauty peeking over the stall to look at Merrylegs next to him; Black Beauty and Ginger hitched up to the carriage; Black Beauty being led out of the burning stable with a cloth tied over his eyes. Any help appreciated!

loomer
Dec. 2, 2000, 03:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlclark:

I also liked one called "Everyday Friends" about a girl who takes up riding after she's quit about every other hobby/sport she's ever done. Darned if I can remember the author's name right now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Everyday Friends" has to be one of my alltime favorites... girl takes up riding, does medal classes with her friends horse. Eventually gets a horse of her own which she names Worth Waiting (barn name Richard). I used to get this one from the library on a regular basis. Thanks so much for reminding me of it! I must search for it now!

Lord Helpus
Dec. 2, 2000, 09:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 5jss:
Yes, Wings, he founders then comes back to win the championship at the show but the minute he steps out of the arena he is dead lame from the performance he gave.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh how sad to be grown up. I m sure that it was a wonderful story and a great read as a child. But as an adult, all I can think of is that the horse was drugged to the eyeballs to get him to the ring, and the drugs wore off as the class ended.

I HATE it when reality and cynicism take over...

pam

starberry
Dec. 2, 2000, 01:20 PM
Enjoying all the comments about favorite books and was particularly glad to see Silver Birch et al because I think of them often.

Don't be so proud of yourself. Your grandmother is an AlumnA - she and her classmates are alumnae!
Are any of you readers interested? I have a lot of old and very old Chronicles which have to go before the floor joists collapse. Will send any for the cost of postage - $3.20 for as many as will fit into a regulation allyoucaneat USPS priority mail envelope, $1.50 each additional. First come, first served for specific issues.
Some of the Cookie McClung pieces are worth the price alone!
Answer to Starberry@snet.net, if this is allowed, Erin? I hate to cart them off the recycling center!

Ghazzu
Dec. 2, 2000, 02:06 PM
Wings--
would you be thinking of "A Portion for Foxes"?

Books I loved (and still do):

School for Young Riders

Horsemaan's Encyclopedia by Margaret Self
and the companion volume--Great Horse Stories, which turned me on to:
Surtees--all the Jorrocks and related books
David Gray and his "Gallops"
Gordon Grand's tales of Col. Weatherford
and more.

King of the Wind
Black Beauty
Come On Seabiscuit
The Horsemasters
The Phantom Roan
My Friend Flicka and sequels
The Irish RM stories
Smokey the Cowhorse

I could go on and on...

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 2, 2000, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghazzu:
Wings--
would you be thinking of "A Portion for Foxes"?

King of the Wind
Black Beauty
Come On Seabiscuit
The Horsemasters
The Phantom Roan
My Friend Flicka and sequels
The Irish RM stories
Smokey the Cowhorse

I could go on and on...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Portion for Foxes, yes, I think that is it. I still have all my Flicka series as well as Smokey the Cowhorse and Come On Seabiscuit! The Horsemasters was great, about the a group taking the British horsemaster course. Learned about jumping lanes and strapping from that one /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

How about the Lonesome Sorrel? Unusual to find one with a boy for the center character.

Col S. P. Meek (Frog) wrote several others that are available through the book find lists.

J. Turner
Dec. 2, 2000, 11:07 PM
Alumna/ae -- oops, ok, it was a good attempt. I took Latin in 8th grade, in 1983 -- <blushing>

Kryswyn
Dec. 3, 2000, 01:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jennie:
I just went to some of the links and realize there are so many versions of "Black Beauty" out there. Does anyone know this one, which is probably printed 1950's or earlier, contains many black and white and color illustrations. The color ones include, to the best of my memory: Black Beauty peeking over the stall to look at Merrylegs next to him; Black Beauty and Ginger hitched up to the carriage; Black Beauty being led out of the burning stable with a cloth tied over his eyes. Any help appreciated!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the cover looked like a stall door w/ Beauty looking out? That's the one I remember w/ great color illustrations you mentioned. That was a children's abridged version printed in an oversize format for little fingers. I wore the cover right off that book.

Also The Chestry Oak by <slaps hand to forehead> I give up. A wonderful story of a small eastern european country at the start of WWII. Young Prince Michael is horse crazy and adores his father's black stallion who is trained to high level dressage. The royal family is betrayed by the King's minister and as the storm troopers come to place the King under arrest a kindly groom? takes Michael to the barn, puts him on the stallion and off into the night they flee.

Months later we see "Michael Prince" in a hospital waiting word of his adoption by American parents. He has lost his memory and is treated as an ordinary refuge orphan. Off he goes to Kansas where one of the great remount stations is, and at a sale he attends w/ his family Michael is drawn to a wild black stallion. It is his father's horse and Michael slips into the ring and w/o tack performs a high school dressage ride that brought tears to my eyes. For Michael now remembers all that has been lost including his father, his country, his title. As he begins he says, "And now my friend, we dance one last time for all that was and shall never be again." God I'm crying now just remembering it.....

Kate Senedy (sp?) I believe was the author.

Fairview Horse Center
Dec. 3, 2000, 09:51 AM
I loved "5 o'clock Charlie", "The Exterminator", "A Filly for Joan", and "Little Black A Pony".

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 3, 2000, 09:59 AM
Five O'Clock Charlie - Marguerite Henry, wasn't that one? And "Old Bones the Wonder Horse" about Exterminator (I cried when his Peanuts the first died)

I've been to Chincoteague several times (it's a great beach town to go to when it ISN'T pony penning) and took a side trip on our way to Cape Cod one year to stop in Goshen, NY at the Famous Track and to visit where Hambletonian was born and buried.

I have been trying for years to remember the title of a book that I read when I was 10 or so. I vaguely remember either a round barn or round indoor, an accident involving a horse in the past, and a reclusive woman who took a horse crazy kid under her wing. A New England setting seems familiar, maybe near the ocean. Does that jog anyone's memory?

Jennie
Dec. 3, 2000, 08:15 PM
I realized the Black Beauty book I was looking for was probably good old Illustrated Junior Library, and bought a brand new copy at Barnes & Noble yesterday for $9.99. The hard cover is different, it's full color with Black Beauty in a meadow (not the same illustrator as inside, who is Fritz Eichenberg). But, all the fabulour color illustrations inside and numerous black and white drawings as well. There was not a color picture of Beauty being led out of the fire, that must be a different version. Inspired by this thread, I picked up a hardcover of "King of the Wind" (Marguerite Henry), too.

I also picked up the following used books: "Blaze Shows the Way" by C.W. Anderson, "American Girl Book of Horse Stories" (illus. by Sam Savitt), "Cowboy in the Making" by Will James (great color illus. included), and another copy of Black Beauty which was inscribed "For Beulah from Aunt Jennie" Sept. 1899, so of course I had to buy it (Jennie). It's very compact, just about 4"x6", and has about 5 b/w full page illustrations very different from others I've seen, incl. one of Anna Sewell at the front.

Other Black Beauty's I've found are a 1946 illustrated by Wesley Dennis, and a current (1994) Longmeadow Press version with Lucy Kemp-Welch drawings.

I'm still kicking myself for coming across a pencil drawing many years ago in an antiques store of, I think a colt, signed "CWA" and didn't buy it. It really looked like it was probably C.W. Anderson, don't know why I was so reluctant to spend a few $...

Anyway, keep the titles and remembrances coming, what an inspiration and great memories!

keke414
Dec. 3, 2000, 08:25 PM
I always like a book called Horse in the House by William Corbin. It was written about 1964 and set in Oregon. This teenage girl had a palomino stallion and brought him into the house to eat salad (while her parents were away). She was actually trying to get the attention of a boy who wrote for the school newspaper. The horse gets stolen and taken down the river on a houseboat(!) and the girl and her boy go after him in a speedboat. Sounds dumb but it reads ok. Anyone remember it?

Weatherford
Dec. 3, 2000, 08:32 PM
Kate Seredy, I do believe was the name of the author.

The B&W illustrations for Black Beauty sounds suspiciously like our favorite illustrator's edition - you know the PB guy whom no one can afford to buy any more? (Paul Brown - not paperback!) His BB illutrations appeared in both a condensed (simplified) version as well as the full length version. He also illustrated National Velvet - which is relatively available in the Grossett & Dunlap reprint edition.

I know I've mentioned it before, but I will again, if you can find Terri Wear's Annotated Bibliography of Horse Fiction (I think her cut off date was 1980), you will be one hundred steps ahead of everyone else in finding your favorites. While she does miss some, she does get most of the best ones, and I have found the book absolutely invaluable. I MIGHT even have a couple of extra copies...(Ha, I shall put them on eBay and finace my next trek to Ireland!)

Bumpkin
Mar. 25, 2001, 10:59 PM
Rather than start a new thread I dug up this olde one.
Weatherford have you read the two privately printed hunting books titled:
We Go Fox Hunting Abroad and
More Fox Hunting in England by Charles D. Lanier?
They were printed in 1924 and 1927 and are delightful stories about Fox Hunting.
I cannot recall where I picked them up, I think in Middleburg, ages ago.
They are both signed and inscribed on October 20, 1942 to General BF Cheatham.
Do you know if this gentleman, Mr Lanier, wrote more books?

lil orphan annie
Mar. 26, 2001, 05:18 AM
Oh I love this thread....

Loved the Flicka books: My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead, Green Grass of Wyoming (re-read the series last year).

For the Love of a Horse, The Red Devil and Summer Riders would be by the British author Patricia Leith.

Oldies but goodies: Josephine Pullein-Thompson who wrote: Pony Club Team, Pony Club Camp etc. All about the trials and tribulations of a group of young riders in England. My favourite character was Noel who had a grey pony called Sonnet and a TB called Truant, I used to wish I was her.

K.M Peyton's Fly-by-Night... I loved that book!! All about a young girl whose family cannot afford a pony for her so she saves up to buy one. After a long search, she buys one that is young and cheap, and she struggles to train it, while all around her are kids with expensive ponies who sneer at her. It is very well written and even adults would enjoy it. I'm going to re-read it again!!

Please someone tell me the name of the sequel !

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 26, 2001, 06:14 AM
Was done by my great aunt, Eleanor Graham Vance.

http://www.abebooks.com is still coming up with matches for my "wish I still had" books.

Any one recall the title of one about two friends spending the summer on one of the girl's parents farm. A nasty caretaker couple mismanage the place and the girls spend the summer roaming. The horses were renamed by the girls to "Boojum" and "Snark".

luxorluver
Mar. 26, 2001, 07:14 AM
My favorite horse books of all time include:

King of the Wind (my ALL TIME favorite)
Black Beauty (so sad!)
Horseman's Encyclopedia
Black Gold (about a famous standardbred trotter)
And any other Maurgauite (sp?) Henry Books (they are ALL good!)
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 26, 2001, 07:57 AM
Is about a Thoroughbred that wins the Kentucky Derby. He was bred and raced by a Native American Indian family.

Born to Trot is about a Standardbred filly (trotter) that wins the Hambletonian.

OnyxThePony
Mar. 26, 2001, 08:15 AM
PamM, I had a copy of Hobby Horse Hill till just a few months ago, when it went to a tack sale. Too bad or I would have mailed it to you!
My faves:
Black Beauty
Charlie (or something, it was the only horsey book my school library had, I had it out every week, about an old horse some kids love and buy for $25)
All the Margurite Henrey, the big board books, illustrated by Wesley Dennis (also from my school library).
But I love every horsey book!!

CdnRider
Mar. 26, 2001, 09:29 AM
I didn't notice anyone else mention it and it is my absolute favorite: A horse Called Holiday.
Its about a girl that can't afford her own horse and rides other peoples horses. She eventually gets a big chestnut tb who is deaf. This horse is old and has some fears from a very bad fall and eventually they over come the fears. Its a great feel good book!!

I also liked (own) Everyday Friends, Somebody's horse, A Horse of Her Own, Dark Sunshine (another good one!), many Walter Farley books, Saddleclub books etc. And many of these are so tattered from countless reading. I think I read A horse called holiday about 15 times. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Winglet
Mar. 26, 2001, 10:36 AM
Frog, the horse that knew no master by Colonel S.P. Meek was/is one of my all time favorites. Wild horse, Cavalry horse, Polo horse, and jumper all in one! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JoHn (WiNgLeT)

Canter
Mar. 26, 2001, 10:53 AM
Misty of Chincoteague and King of the Wind both by Marguerite Henry.

And I sobbed my way through Beautiful Joe.

PaisleyRioux
Mar. 26, 2001, 06:09 PM
Remember hitting the library and checking out EVERY horse book, including those by British writers who apparently published during the Trojan wars? Remember showing up for your first lessons and fully expecting to meet a teacher clad like a master of the hounds? Those Brits certainly put ideas in our heads!

Who could forget trying to figure out what the heck "head collar" meant? Or following a recipe for bran mash -- only because you didn't happen to be living on the Scottish moor, you didn't have bran and at least six other ingredients in the cabinet. Heck, paprika and cinammon -- kind of the same color. No apples? Pears will do! Of course the animal wouldn't touch the damn mash with a six-foot lunge whip.

And what was with the never-ending reference to Pony Club? Pony Club Pony Club Pony Club! Was it something in the water? Something genetic? God almighty. There will always be an England.

Paisley.

OnyxThePony
Mar. 26, 2001, 08:41 PM
Paisley, you remind me of the Jill series. I love those old British pony books!
My modern (70's??) cheap copies of Jill's Gymkhana and Jill has Two Ponies has a fat little girl on the cover, but darling original artwork inside!

Storybook
Mar. 26, 2001, 10:04 PM
The sequel is "The Team". Ruth outgrows Fly, gets a new pony (remember Toadhill Flax, the gorgeous pony?), and goes to Pony Club Camp where, as usual, Ruth feels slightly overwhelmed.

There is actually a third book in the series but its not horsey--it's called "The Beethoven Medal". Ruth grows up & falls in love (this one combines the "Fly by Night" books and another of Peyton's series about Pennington, a rather angry boy...)

BTW, just read "Blind Beauty"--Peyton's new book--very good. About steeplechase yards.

N&B&T
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:18 AM
If you can find it, you might like "The High Mettled Racer" (Being the Story of "Revenge", Racehorse and Hunter) by Ernest Lewis, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1933...about steeplechasing and foxhunting.

Or Carl Raswan's book, which I believe was titled, "Drinkers of the Wind"...about his search for the perfect Arabian (loaned it out and still waiting for its return).

Anyone else remember these two?

Posted some others on old threads, I think, and don't want to duplicate.

OnyxThePony
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:33 AM
My heroes of course were always the kid who coulnd't afford a horse so rode the outlaws well enough to hold her own at the shows against snotty rivels..hmm.. how fiction imitates life or vice-versa?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

lil orphan annie
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:34 AM
Thanks Rlclark for info on "Fly by Night" sequels. I'm going to the library to ask them to order them for me. I think I read "The Beethoven Medal" when I was about 12 but can't remember much about it. I still have "Fly-by-Night," I tend to pull it off the shelf on cold dark dreary days when I'm looking for something to do, it is so heart-warming! (I like books where the under-dog makes good) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Medievalist
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:40 AM
Did anyone every read the two books about Black Beauty's relatives? There was a piebald that worked in a mine, and an all black brother, and a bunch of others. I dont remember what they were called...I loved reading them though. Anyone know what they were called?

I also loved the Robin McKinley story "The Blue Sword" where the people ride 18hh war horses without bridles and stirrups to defeat evil. Good story /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I also like "The Tiger Roan" ....

lil orphan annie
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:45 AM
She is a great great grand daughter of Charles Dickens, obviously talent runs in the family!

"Talking of Horses" is a book about her life with horses, the horsey people she has known, and her thoughts and feelings on the subject of horses. More so an adults or teenager's book rather than for children, I first read it when I was about 14 and I still re-read it occasionally.

Specks
Mar. 27, 2001, 10:43 AM
Does this ring a bell for anybody? All i can remember was repeatedly checking it out of the adult section of the local library as a very, very small kid (which would explain why i can't remember the story). It was in a beautiful slipcover, and was about a paint horse named Persimmon (Basically, i checked it out over and over because i liked looking at the artwork, and because i quite enjoyed taking it in and out of the slipcover...).

Baroni
Mar. 27, 2001, 11:30 AM
Does anyone remember a book - I think it was called "The Crumb" - or it was definitely the name of the pony in the book. It's about this girl who has a buckskin pony the she shows - it's a mystery book where someone is trying to kidnap show ponies.

My other absolutely favorite was CW Anderson's "Afraid To Ride".

And of course "A Very Young Rider"

Storybook
Mar. 27, 2001, 03:28 PM
lil orphan annie--Cool. Another Peyton fan! I also really like Monica Dickens' books. Did you ever read "The House at World's End"? A bunch of siblings (parents are gone--mom sick in hospital & dad sailing around the world) move into an abandoned house and end up with a menagerie, including the abused horse that gets nursed back to health (I always wanted to be on my own & get a free horse--has yet to happen! LOL!) Also, I think there was a sequel to "House" but I have yet to find it.

Medievalist--The ones you are looking for are "Black Beauty's Family" and "Black Beauty's Clan" both by Josephine Pullein-Thompson. I read the one with the piebald too (can't remember which one that is--"BB's Family" I think).

Baroni--"The Crumb" is by Jean Slaughter Doty. Excellent book!--one of my favorites. It's also about show horse insurance fraud. Unscrupulous GP trainer tries to kill unsound GP horse for $$ but kills kid's pony instead.

I've been able to interlibrary loan most of these books if my library didn't have them. The ones that were originally by British authors (Pullein-Thompson, Peyton, & Dickens) are a little harder to get/find, but I seem have managed to get most of these at one time or another. Also doesn't hurt that I'm a librarian! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Becky

WHOA!
Mar. 27, 2001, 07:49 PM
Well, you guys have mentioned all my favorit true horsey books already, but did anyone else read the Trixie Belden books? They were mysteries but the kids all rode and lots of their adventures took place on horseback /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I still remember the horses' names: Jupiter was the feiry big black gelding that only Jim could ride, starlight was the chesnut gelding Brian rode, Lady was Honey's mom's gentle grey mare that Honey rode, Strawberry was Honey's roan gelding that Mart rode, and Susie was Miss Trask's little black mare that Trixie rode. Boy, do I need a life or what? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif But I loved those books when I was little; it took me a long time to outgrow my ambition to be a Bobwhite, and I think it was mainly because of their horses.

Whew. Sorry for the rambling trip down memory lane. The real reason I got on was to give another HUGE thumbs-up for alibris.com. You can find ANYTHING on there.

Baroni
Mar. 27, 2001, 08:28 PM
I LOVED Trixe Belden!! Trixie's little brother learned to ride on "Mr. Pony" if I remember correctly.

OnyxThePony
Mar. 27, 2001, 08:31 PM
Trixie Belden rode horses? Wow, I missed on that one! I have one of the series.. at my parents place still.. sitting in with the Nancy Drews. Fancy never realizing they were a riding series!

rockstar
Mar. 27, 2001, 09:37 PM
You know, Black Beauty was, hands down, my absolute favorite horsie book (and def. one of my favorite horse books all together!). It's funny that I decided to read this thread because I've been thinking about Black Beauty and Ginger and all of their friends for days now. This past week I was in Seville... a beautiful and quite wonderful old city in southern Spain. Now, I go to New York City all the time and see the horses and carriages all around the Plaza Hotel and central park and usually try not to think much of them or let them get to me.

However, Seville just had horses and carriages EVERYWHERE! I couldn't avoid thinking about the treatment of the carriage horse. You can't walk five feet without seeing one or hearing the clopping of hooves on pavement in the distance. Every time I walked by one I thought of Black Beauty and the dreaded "bearing rein" (sp?) and the blinders, two items which nearly all of the horses sported. Many of them seemed visibly unsound to me. As well, many of them had long, shaggy coats and were sweating like crazy in the strong southern heat. Nearly all of them were very bothered by the blinders. Am I crazy in thinking that it is all incredibly inhumane in this moder age? To be sure, the romanticsim of a horse drawn carriage ride through the most resplendent parts of an old city is quite alluring. And I must confess, I even gave in and went for a ride my first day there.

But the more time I spent there and the more I got to see these horses, the more disgusted I became. I used to have to lunge or gallop many of my horses for hours to get them quiet... am I then a hypocrite to cringe when I see the horses carting tourist after tourist around in cities such as New York and Seville?

To see these horses trotting along on pavement for hours a day just really got to me. I guess I always rationalized my brand of torture for preparing to show because I loved my animals so much and I took exceptional care of them in the end and lavished as much love and attention on them as I could. But these horses go through so much more, and I have little evidence to make me believe that the drivers see them as any more than beasts of burden that are there to be exploited for their ability to lure tourists in and put money in their pockets.

So, I totally just crashed this lovely thread... perhaps I should start a topic if anyone has comments on this?

lil orphan annie
Mar. 28, 2001, 02:55 AM
Becky - speaking of M. Dickens, how could we have forgotten the "Follyfoot Farm" series??!! About a rescue home for horses, with Dora, Steve, and Cally and the Colonel who run it. Dora is always taking in new rescue cases much to Steve's annoyance and Cally is always ditching school because she is training a nice youngster called Folly that the Colonel bred.

I love some of the characters in these books, like the rogueish Stryker and that know-all horsey woman who tries to run the farm when the Colonel is in hospital.

I love these books from England, I was raised on them!

Fred
Mar. 28, 2001, 04:50 AM
I had been thinking of going looking for it. Rockstar, I feel the same way. Black Beauty was so powerful in its depiction of cruelty to horses - and I get upset now just remembering. But that was Victoriann England - and the abuse continues. I was on a holiday in Malta once, and the carriage horses looked terrible - so thin and sweaty - and the people taking the carriage rides were oblivious. Abuse continues in places you wouldn't imagine. In Southern Ontario, we have many Mennonites - a religious order, many of whom drive carriages. They get standardbreds off the track - and although many are well taken care of - many more are not - you see them trotting down the road - so lame, thin, soaked with sweat, standing uncovered in a freezing rain storm .. and when they are truly "done" - they are still just comodities, shipped to the slaughter house. But of course "Man has Dominion".. .
on a happier note, like many of the other posters, I fixated totally on the CW Anderson books - Billy and Blaze, A Pony for Joan, all the race horse books - maybe that is where I got the "imprint" of how a horse should look! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LoriO
Mar. 28, 2001, 06:17 AM
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Ebay yet as a great source to find a lot of these old books!!! As an avid childs horse book collector I've found many books on there!!!

As for favorites, I don't even know where to begin!!!! I love the Bonnie books by Barbara Van Tuyl ( I have a couple of duplicates if anyone is looking for them!!!) The Golden Stallion series by Rutherford Montgomery is another special favorite for me. When ever I visited my Grandmother in Chicago, I always made a beeline to their shelf at her local library so I could read them again! My local library back in L.A. didn't have them.

Anyone else remember reading the Timber Trail Riders series??? How about Marjory Reynolds (Keep a Silver Dollar and Dark Horse Barnaby)? I could go on and on...everytime I look at my bookcase crammed with horse books another one pops out as a favorite.....sigh....i love the memories they bring back !!!!

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 28, 2001, 06:24 AM
I got a copy of Steinbecks "The Red Pony" illustrated by Wesley Dennis off of ebay. Found the fantastic set of prints "Portfolio of Horses" that were done for Marguerite Henry's "Album of Horses" there as well. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

smc
Mar. 28, 2001, 07:03 AM
does anyone remember a book called "Blitz?" i would love to know who wrote and many find a copy somewhere.

vineyridge
Mar. 28, 2001, 08:52 AM
are my trainer's favorite kids' books. I've never seen them myself.

Pamela and the Blue Mare in the Olympic Trials sold for 125 bucks on ebay not too long ago.

rockstar
Mar. 28, 2001, 09:13 AM
from fred:
nullRockstar, I feel the same way. Black Beauty was so powerful in its depiction of cruelty to horses - and I get upset now just remembering. But that was Victoriann England - and the abuse continues. I was on a holiday in Malta once, and the carriage horses looked terrible - so thin and sweaty - and the people taking the carriage rides were oblivious. Abuse continues in places you wouldn't imagine. In Southern Ontario, we have many Mennonites - a religious order, many of whom drive carriages. They get standardbreds off the track - and although many are well taken care of - many more are not - you see them trotting down the road - so lame, thin, soaked with sweat, standing uncovered in a freezing rain storm .. and when they are truly "done" - they are still just comodities, shipped to the slaughter house. But of course "Man has Dominion".. .

Well I'm glad I'm not the only horse lover out there bothered by it Fred... thank you! But what I don't get is why are ASPCA type organizations not stepping in and setting standards?

Baroni
Mar. 28, 2001, 09:22 AM
Ok now I'm on a roll - did anyone read "Golden Sovereign'? About a palimino stallion whose best friend is a goat and turns evil whenever his friend's not around?

Dementia 13
Mar. 28, 2001, 09:42 AM
does anyone remember a book called "Blitz?" i would love to know who wrote and many find a copy somewhere.

Wasn't that the book about the horse that pulled the fire-wagon and went through a black-beauty like downturn and was rescued by a little boy? If so, I loved that book when I was a kid.

Bumpkin
Mar. 28, 2001, 09:51 AM
I spent a month in Malta back in the late 70's.
I noticed none of the horses were gelded either.
Also I think some of the carriage horses were on the little, hard Malta racetrack racing on the weekend, after their weekday carriage jobs /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

hunts&jumps
Mar. 28, 2001, 09:52 AM

Bought that book in England when I was a little girl. I forgot all about it until I read you post. Loved it!!

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 28, 2001, 09:58 AM
Had a series starting with Silver Birch, continuing with Midnight Moon, Golden Soveriegn (Birchy's colt) and Copper Khan.

She also wrote Blue Smoke, Dark Sunshine, Red Embers, Smoke Rings, Harlequin Hullabaloo, one about an app and at least one sequel to whichever "smoke" one was about eventing.

Lavender Menace
Mar. 28, 2001, 10:07 AM
Does anyone remember reading a book called "Gift Horse"? I don't remember the author, unfortunately. I read it while I was at riding camp in 7th grade... it was on a shelf in a tackroom and I thieved it for the the week.

I really loved the Black Stallion books, although I never managed to finish all of them, which I regret. Would it be too dorky for me to pick them up again now, at the ripe old age of 22?

nelson
Mar. 28, 2001, 10:49 AM
a book called "The Monday Horses". It was about a show barn. My understanding is that the barn in the book was based on Junie Kulp's famous show barn All Around Farm in Pennsylvania (which is where I used to ride - after Junie's time). Does anyone know who wrote the book and/or where I can find a copy???? If so, please email me at lisa@gfoldbecklaw.com.

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 28, 2001, 11:07 AM
Christmas Horse, Indian Paint, Wild Horse, Tiger Roan, The Flaxy Mare, Lost Horse, Keeping Horse, Spotted Horse (for the NAW's /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ),Midnight Colt

Ghazzu
Mar. 28, 2001, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Or Carl Raswan's book, which I believe was titled, "Drinkers of the Wind"...about his search for the perfect Arabian (loaned it out and still waiting for its return).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Also, if you like desert horse stories,Homer Davenport's "My Quest of the Arabian Horse"--a great story about a politial cartoonist who went to Syria and bought horses from the Bedu, as well as getting several pricelss animals as gifts.

Raswan also wrote "Black Tents of Arabia", which tells of his time with the Bedu.

Weatherford
Mar. 28, 2001, 12:54 PM
as propaganda (in the BEST SENSE) for the RSPCA (or something related) in England in the late 19th century.

The original printings were cheap paper pamphlets, and sold enormous numbers to raise money and awareness of abuse!

It succeeded beyond their wildest expectations!

(so speaks the former book dealer with a barn full of them in NJ....all horse related, ofc course.)

Winglet
Mar. 28, 2001, 01:26 PM
There has been a BIG oversight! Are ETBW & I the only ones who read Harlequin Hullaballoo?

JoHn (WiNgLeT)

Sleepy
Mar. 28, 2001, 01:35 PM
I have always wanted a pinto saddlebred. A friend of mine told me it was because I read 'Harlequin Hulaballoo' too many times as a child. I think that was my first horsey book even before the Black Stallion series or the 3 Jays.

pt
Mar. 28, 2001, 02:27 PM
I couldn't post for awhile & wondered if anyone else had read that book.

I even found a vintage copy of it in a little bookstore in this little town. Of course, it's on my treasured books shelf now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

That book, plus seeing the REAL Wing Commander eons ago - I was just a baby, OK? - got me into the saddlebred scene for awhile. No longer there, but it was fun while it lasted. And I still love the book!

Gallop On
Mar. 28, 2001, 03:40 PM
I was a big fan of any Sam Savitt illustrated book - "Summer Pony" comes to mind. I also wound up with lots of CW Anderson Man O' War prints.

I don't think I ever read "Black Horse from Culver" but my husband was in the Black Horse Troop and said he would like to see it (and is looking over my shoulder while I type). Who wrote it and how can I find it?