PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires and Rims Very Warm After Use

JollyBadger
Jun. 9, 2012, 11:08 PM
We hauled the horses to a local state park to ride today - about an hour's drive away. When we got back to the house, the tires and rims were very warm to the touch.

Temps today were in the 80's, and it was sunny, but the way my luck has been lately I'm a bit paranoid about more stuff going wrong.:eek:

Is that normal? I mean, the hot tires and rims, not the paranoia.:winkgrin:

It is a Hart gooseneck with LQ and a two-horse slant load.

We just had new brakes put on the trailer this past spring but have not used the trailer very much since then. They work fine and we've not noticed any feeling of them "dragging."

The tires are a few years old - were purchased in 2009, and the trailer is stored in a pole barn when not in use.

Janet
Jun. 9, 2012, 11:33 PM
Have you checked your tire pressure? Low pressure will make everything run hot.

tangledweb
Jun. 9, 2012, 11:36 PM
All a similar level of "very warm"? Yeah I'd call that normal. Your tires might all be a bit soft though.

One of them feeling like you could fry an egg on the rim? I'd think the brake was on or a wheelbearing had disintegrated.

Sounds like it is due for a service anyway. Good to get it gone over annually even if you did not do many miles.

Lilykoi
Jun. 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
Get your bearings checked.

birdsong
Jun. 10, 2012, 12:35 AM
I agree with the bearings. When you had the brakes done did they do the entire "assembly"??

Hampton Bay
Jun. 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
Check the bearings. They may have gone bad, or they may need to be packed.

JollyBadger
Jun. 12, 2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the responses - we dropped the trailer off at a service place yesterday just to have them take a look at it.

airhorse
Jun. 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
My guess is you are just feeling the normal heat buildup from the sidewalls flexing, especially if all four are the same temperature.

Let us know if they find anything.