PDA

View Full Version : Squash casserole recipe?

pony4me
Jun. 9, 2012, 08:58 PM
I have a lot of yellow squash, and have tried a couple of squash casserole recipes, but not found one that I like. Anyone have one they'd like to share?

And if anyone needs a zucchini bread recipe, I have one that almost everyone likes. It uses two cups of grated zucchini, which gets rid of a lot of zukes. I found that if I made the zucchini bread and brought it to work, I could give away the recipe and all excess zucchini. Problem solved!

Sonesta
Jun. 9, 2012, 09:58 PM
Here's the one I have used for years:

Ingredients

4 cups sliced yellow squash
1 cup chopped onion
About 35 Ritz crackers, crushed
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place squash and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in a small amount of water. Cover, and cook until squash is tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well, and place in a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, mix together cracker crumbs and cheese. Stir half of the cracker mixture into the cooked squash and onions. In a small bowl, mix together eggs and milk, then add to squash mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup melted butter, and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cracker mixture, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

ESG
Jun. 9, 2012, 10:36 PM
My dear dad's recipe, that everyone demands after tasting the finished product ;):

Dad's Squash Casserole

1 package Stove Top cornbread stuffing, prepared
2 cups sliced steamed yellow squash
4 oz. sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 medium onion, diced small
~1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Prepare stuffing, steam squash. Mix all ingredients except 1 cup of the cheese in 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Can also be microwaved - 12 minutes, until heated through.

I have been told that this is the best squash casserole folks have ever put in their mouths. I agree, but then, I'm prejudiced. :cool:

Enjoy!

nightsong
Jun. 10, 2012, 03:20 AM
I just saute squash with onion, as a QUICK side dish. Freshly-ground pepper, too.

Daydream Believer
Jun. 10, 2012, 07:43 AM
Unfortunately I've not found a good recipe yet that doesn't use dairy in some form and I am very lactose intolerant. I used to have a really good recipe somewhere that used cheddar and mayonnaise and onions with the yellow squash. If I can find it today, I'll post it.

Now I coat the squash with almond flour and fry or I saute it like nightsong said.

MelantheLLC
Jun. 10, 2012, 02:42 PM
DB, you can also use it in a frittata w/o dairy. You can kinda do a frittata any way you want but here's a typical recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/yellow-squash-frittata-375

Love my late aunt's yellow squash casserole, but don't have the recipe. I've texted my mother to get it, thanks for a reminder, OP! ;)

Edit: just noticed that recipe has cheese. But you can substitute any sort of veggie or protein

Daydream Believer
Jun. 10, 2012, 05:56 PM
DB, you can also use it in a frittata w/o dairy. You can kinda do a frittata any way you want but here's a typical recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/yellow-squash-frittata-375

Love my late aunt's yellow squash casserole, but don't have the recipe. I've texted my mother to get it, thanks for a reminder, OP! ;)

Edit: just noticed that recipe has cheese. But you can substitute any sort of veggie or protein

Thanks for that recipe. I can see that would work well with all sorts of stuff. I never really thought about squash with eggs like that but why not? I love both!

MunchingonHay
Jun. 10, 2012, 07:32 PM
I just saute squash with onion, as a QUICK side dish. Freshly-ground pepper, too.

I use shallots, olive oil, salt pepper and a touch of veggie paste (comes in a jar...better than bouillon I think)

saute YUMMY!

pony4me
Jun. 10, 2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks, everyone! We've had a lot of sauteed squash, with home-grown onions thrown in, so the casserole recipes were welcome. They all sound good. I'll experiment and the winner gets baked multiple times and frozen for later consumption. This afternoon was spent making lots of zucchini bread, which will also go in the freezer, thereby solving some of my Christtmas baking and/or gifting problems.

rustbreeches
Jun. 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
Not a casserole, but slice the yellow squash and an onion, toss with white cornmeal (enough to coat however much squash you use) and salt and put in a frying pan preheated with a bit of oil or bacon grease. Fry, turning for awhile until the squash stats to cook down, then allow to get a crust on it, flip in flipper sized segments to get crust on the other side. This dish is summer to me, we ate it almost daily growing up with a LARGE garden

Frank B
Jun. 10, 2012, 09:59 PM
Slice yellow squash & Vidalia onion, season with Adobo, and steam for 10-15 minutes.

cowboymom
Jun. 10, 2012, 10:20 PM
My dear dad's recipe, that everyone demands after tasting the finished product ;):

Dad's Squash Casserole

4 oz. sour cream

Prepare stuffing, steam squash. Mix all ingredients except 1 cup of the cheese in 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Can also be microwaved - 12 minutes, until heated through.

I have been told that this is the best squash casserole folks have ever put in their mouths. I agree, but then, I'm prejudiced. :cool:

Enjoy!

Totally saving this (we are still practically in snow) but I know my family is going to LOVE this one!

Effie1221
Jun. 10, 2012, 11:55 PM
No recipe but I sautée the yellow squash in a bit of butter, with onion. Drain. Add some diced Velveeta cheese and (Frenchy's) fried onions. 1-2 eggs, 1T sugar, paprika, salt and pepper. Top with crushed ritz crackers, cook at 325 for about 25-30 mins. Yummy!

DownYonder
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:00 AM
Since I am on Warfarin and can't eat "green vegetables", we have been eating a lot of yellow and red stuff this year. Here are a few recipes we found for yellow squash. Most of these recipes came from Allrecipes.com.

Squash and Corn Casserole:

2 eggs
1 can cream-style corn (11 oz can)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 cups sliced yellow squash
1/2 cup biscuit baking mix

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
2. Whisk eggs in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in cream corn, Parmesan cheese, oil, sugar, garlic, and pepper. Fold in onions, squash, and biscuit mix. Pour into prepared baking pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven until bubbly and lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes.

This isn't a casserole, but to add a bit of zip to sauteed squash with onions, we sometimes throw in a jalapeno pepper. We usually start by frying a few slices of bacon first, then saute the squash, onion, and chopped jalapeno in the bacon drippings. When ready to serve, we crumble in the bacon pieces, add a dash of soy sauce, and salt and pepper.

Another one is mashed squash - I haven't tried it, but a friend says it is pretty good. She steams sliced squash until tender, then mashes it with onion, butter, milk, salt and pepper and heats till warm. She sometimes serves it over quinoa at dinner, and has also served it over grits for breakfast.

You can also grill yellow squash - slice it lengthwise into 1/2" thick strips, saute a few minutes in olive oil with garlic cloves, season with salt and pepper and brush with the garlic oil from the saute pan. Then grill 5-10 minutes until tender, turning as needed.

And a nice summer side dish or salad is broiled yellow squash with radishes -

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise then into 1/4-inch slices
1 large yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4 radishes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices

1. Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
2. Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, dill, salt, and pepper together in a mixing bowl until evenly blended. Add the onion, zucchini, yellow squash, and radishes; toss until evenly coated. Spoon into an 8x8-inch baking dish, and cover with aluminum foil.
3. Broil in the preheated oven 10 minutes, then remove the foil, and continue broiling until the vegetables are tender and nicely browned on top, about 10 minutes more.

My friend sometimes serves this one warm over quinoa for dinner, but we often serve it cold or lukewarm as a salad.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:24 AM
MY veggie garden is waaaaaay behind schedule this year, but I am planting yellow straightneck so these recipes will be filed away ;)

I don't have a casserole recipe, but my favorite way to use up zucchini or yellow squash is to cut into skinny rounds, then saute with lots of fresh garlic in olive oil. Fry until squash "coins" are browned on both sides then toss in cooked pasta. Serve with grated asiago or parmesan.

Frank B
Jun. 11, 2012, 08:30 PM

Dad's Squash Casserole

4 oz. sour cream

Enjoy!
Tried it tonight, and it's thumbs up all the way! We did make one change, substituting low Sodium, fat free chicken broth for the water when preparing the stuffing. This definitely goes into our recipe book.

vineyridge
Jun. 20, 2012, 12:52 PM
I once made a yellow squash souffle. Never again.

Here's a recipe that my family has used for many decades.
2 cups summer squash, cooked
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup grated cheddar
10 saltines
1/2 cup minced onion browned in 1/3 stick butter.

Mix all together. Turn into a buttered casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

This freezes well, but if you are going to freeze it, I cut back on the onion. Seems the longer something with onion is frozen, the more oniony the taste gets.

And here's a family recipe for stuffed summer squash or zucchini.
6 squash
2 medium onions, chopped
1 cup corn bread crumbs
1/4 cup American cheese
1/4 cup Swiss cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon bacon drippings
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook whole squash and onions in small amount of water until tender. Drain, saving water. Scoop out the squash. Mix all other ingredients together with squash water. Stuff squash. Top with Paprika. Cook about 30 minutes at 350.

DMK
Jun. 20, 2012, 01:05 PM

My favorite quick squash recipe is to saute some sliced/diced onions (vidalia!) in a bit of oil/garli, then add sliced squash (yellow and/or zukes), and when they are almost done, add balasamic vinegar and deglaze.

Yummy, quick and low cal with tons of flavor.

Sentry Chick
Jun. 22, 2012, 08:07 AM
I love to dip it in some egg, then in bread crumbs and fry them up in some butter. Totally unhealthy but oh so good. We also will grill them in some foil with salt, pepper, butter and brown sugar.

Here's a recipe for Zucchini Pie that is yummy too. I got this off of allrecipes.com

Ingredients
4 eggs 1/4 cup vegetable oil salt and pepper to taste 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 cup all-purpose baking mix 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini 1 1/2 cups sliced yellow squash 1/4 cup chopped onion 1 large ripe tomato, sliced 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch deep dish pie plate.
Whisk together eggs and oil in a bowl with salt and pepper. Stir in baking powder and baking mix until moistened. Gently fold in zucchini, summer squash, and onion. Pour into prepared pie plate, and arrange sliced tomato over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to taste.
Bake in preheated oven until puffed and golden brown, about 35 minutes

SonnysMom
Jun. 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
I love zucchini, yellow squash, onions with mushrooms and marinara. You could probably add some diced cooked chicken and a little parmesan cheese for a complete meal. I guess you could add pasta too.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
Forgot about this:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1826,143186-234201,00.html

I don't see why it wouldn't work with yellow squash too.

rocky213
Jun. 25, 2012, 09:41 PM
I made ESG's Dad's Squash Casserole and it turned out great !!! I did make one change too, doubled the squash !! I have alot of squash to get rid of, so 2 cups was nothing. Even with double the squash it was great. Definitely a keeper !!

Ember
Jun. 29, 2012, 06:45 PM
I like to make lasagna but is squash instead of the noodles. Thin sliced zucchini, Italian, or yellow squash (sliced the long way). A mandolin works great for this. I don't use any specific recipe but generally use ground turkey, low fat riccota or cottage cheese, mushrooms, black olives, etc...

Kinda like this one

http://www.food.com/recipe/zucchini-lasagna-lasagne-low-carb-749