PDA

View Full Version : Too much wildlife....

Alagirl
Jun. 9, 2012, 12:20 PM
There is a snake in my kitchen...

A SNAKE!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

First the possum in my compost, then two frogs in my collection of coffee cans (outside...)

Now I am wandering through my house, I see a brown ribbon in front of my stove....

meh, I think, my two resident pigs dropped something and didn't pick it up....

I look closely at it...hmm, looks like a snake...damn cats... (oh right, there is a dead bird in the kid's room...need to pick it up...)
The snake MOVES....

first things first: grab camera, take pictures...snake moves toward the stove...nononononono...you will NOT slither under there!!!!

I run to grab bucket, dash for my cleaning supply cabinet, grab dustpan and -broom....scoop snaky up and put him in the bucket.

NOW, I am not THAT brave: mr Snake is hardly as thick as a pencil...his head is not eve as big as my pinky nail! :D

NOW....I don't know what kind it is...I might have to take him to the reptile shop near here and ask them folks....

I am considering putting Mr Snaky out in the wooded strip by the house...but not if he is going to be a poisonous critter...

HPFarmette
Jun. 9, 2012, 12:30 PM
Never a dull moment, huh?

Alagirl
Jun. 9, 2012, 12:37 PM
Nope :D

sk_pacer
Jun. 9, 2012, 12:52 PM
And I thought it was bad when a water bug hitched a ride into the house with me and proceeded to climb up my back under my shirt *SHUDDER*

Bluey
Jun. 9, 2012, 12:58 PM
I have several of those "grabbers" with blue handles, they sell at Home Depot to pick up trash in the barditches, in several strategic locations, because I am so short.
One such place is in the garage, to pick up snakes and take them outside.

As long as the snake is not a rattler, it gets turned loose.
Rattlers, sorry, those don't get a pass, they get summarily dispatched ... outside.

Those grabbers really work fine to pick up all kinds of critters without getting too close to them.:yes:

I hope your snake was not poisonous.

Alagirl
Jun. 9, 2012, 01:14 PM
I have considered a grabber, but Mr Snaky is really thin...though already about 8 inches long! :eek:

Really kind of cute...too bad I gave my ten gallon fishtanks away a couple of years ago...:lol::lol::lol:

It's a snake, so if you don't like them, don't look.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Granfire/BlackJacket6-9-2012533.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Granfire/BlackJacket6-9-2012535.jpg

The frogs....
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Granfire/Spring2012013.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Granfire/018-1.jpg

MuleLady
Jun. 9, 2012, 04:34 PM
Was a pretty large bear in my driveway last night :) Hope he doesn't decide to break into the house; I think we'd have a big problem if I walked into the kitchen to find him there. Fortunately he is too big to fit through the dog door. :P

RHdobes563
Jun. 9, 2012, 05:34 PM

Ummm, is that a carrot stick...err twig...stuck behind froggy's back leg? :D

Alagirl
Jun. 9, 2012, 05:42 PM
Ummm, is that a carrot stick...err twig...stuck behind froggy's back leg? :D

yes

:cool:

Bacardi1
Jun. 9, 2012, 06:53 PM
I have considered a grabber, but Mr Snaky is really thin...though already about 8 inches long! :eek:

Really kind of cute...too bad I gave my ten gallon fishtanks away a couple of years ago...:lol::lol::lol:

It's a snake, so if you don't like them, don't look.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Granfire/BlackJacket6-9-2012533.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Granfire/BlackJacket6-9-2012535.jpg

The frogs....
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Granfire/Spring2012013.jpg

I can't positively i.d. the snake, but depending on where you're located, it looks like it could be a Brown's (aka DeKay's) Snake. They're mature at that size. Could also be a very young Black Rat Snake. Regardless - by the narrowness of the body & the shape of the head, it's not a poisonous variety. Even at a young age, U.S. poisonous snakes have thicker bodies & a much more triangular head, except for maybe Coral Snakes (which this isn't), or if you live in Australia or the tropics.

As far as your frogs, they're Grey Treefrogs. We have them all over here. Cute little buggers.

Alagirl
Jun. 9, 2012, 07:04 PM
Thank you! (I am in Alabama ;))

So I don't have to take the little bugger on a road trip to the reptile place. I can just put him out in the hedgerow my neighbor keeps.

Ghazzu
Jun. 9, 2012, 09:05 PM
As far as your frogs, they're Grey Treefrogs. We have them all over here. Cute little buggers.

Loud as hell, too :D

JB
Jun. 9, 2012, 09:26 PM
Seriously loud, those tree frogs! We have a basement with a walkout door, and one night I flipped the light on to go out the door and smack staring me in the face was a tree frog plastered to the glass pane. Startled the crap out of me LOL

We have a log house and they *love* to hang out on the bump-out logs and scream half the night :lol:

KSAQHA
Jun. 9, 2012, 09:33 PM
This is so timely after the week I've had, I had to laugh. Monday, I walked down to the basement and see a "ribbon"...did a double take and realized it was a snake. I came close to having a panic attack, even though I used to catch snakes, until I was bitten by one...as an adult. At first, I thought it was dead, since it looked flattened and wasn't moving, but couldn't be sure. Was walking in circles, saying "oh, oh, oh", trying to decide what to do...didn't dare leave it in case in slithered away and later attacked me in my sleep. I grabbed a waste basket and slid it under the head...yes, it was alive. I then took it out to the deck and covered the top with a box lid until DH came home and threw it out in the brush. Don't mind snakes outside so much, but in the house? EEK! At 4:00am Tuesday morning was awoken to chewing, scratching noises in the wall of the shower just off our bedroom. DH set a mousetrap in the attic, which has been tripped twice but has come up empty. He suggested a rat trap...great, we have RATS in the house?? Wednesday, on my way to work, just hit interstate and there's a wasp in my car, which keeps dive bombing me. I roll down all the windows and the stinkin' thing would.not.blow.out. I finally had to pull over and flog it out of the car with a plastic bag. Oh, yeah, today I see a tree frog hanging out on the front of the house, below our bedroom. Praying like mad I'm not serenaded under the window all night.

I'm SO over wildlife.

JB
Jun. 9, 2012, 09:39 PM
My worst fear is a wasp or bee in the car with me, and it's happened more than a few times :eek: :eek:

KSAQHA
Jun. 9, 2012, 09:42 PM
No kidding! It was all I could do to concentrate on driving...and just barely.

ParadoxFarm
Jun. 9, 2012, 09:54 PM
I admit to going into panic mode with bees/wasps. If one is in my car I have to pull over and hope no one is watching me!

Okay, now here is a weird one. Every summer I get frogs that come up....get this...through my toilet! Not once, but Ive probably had to capture/relocate, oh, 8 of them? And I keep my lid closed, so when I go in to "use the facility" and lift the lid and see one on the sear or in the bowl, it totally freaks me out at first.

OP, I feel for you. Not a fan of snakes either. Outside they don't bother me, but not in the house! I had a dead one in a stall the other day. Guess my horse doesn't care for them too much, either.

alabama
Jun. 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
It's a rat snake. The little ones have patterns that fade when they get older - so I'm told. I lost one just like it under my stove before I got handy at catching them.

whbar158
Jun. 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
Now I am going to have dreams about snakes in my house! But in those dreams they are never friendly snakes...just scary killer variety!

Mosey_2003
Jun. 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
You think that's bad... Our shower is in the basement (not a finished basement, just cement block shower). One morning, alone in the house, finished my shower and opened the curtain to see a baby water moccasin staring at me!!! Thank the freaking lord I had taken a big bowl in the shower with me to swish my razor in (don't judge me, I'm weird) so I managed to toss that on top of him. I about had a STROKE! You don't want to find a snake when you're wet and naked, trust me...

wildlifer
Jun. 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
Awe, he's cute! Thanks for taking him back outside. He is definitely not anything venomous.

JB
Jun. 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
You don't want to find a snake when you're wet and naked, trust me...

That sounds like the opening line to an interesting book :lol:

It should also be an addition to your sig line :yes: :D

lizathenag
Jun. 11, 2012, 02:58 PM
big adult bobcat in my horse's pasture. I usually just see the cubs. My horse didn't care. He chases the coyotes out however.

Alagirl
Jun. 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
Awe, he's cute! Thanks for taking him back outside. He is definitely not anything venomous.

Ah, what can I say, I am a sucker for critters. :)
(Ok, I hate squirrels....they cannot expect mercy from me. Chipmunks though, they are different :yes: ;))

I hope the tree frogs won't eat him. :lol:

Mosey_2003
Jun. 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
It should also be an addition to your sig line :yes: :D

Your wish is my command :lol:

trubandloki
Jun. 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
Oh look, he matches your grout. He was trying to fit in with your kitchen motif.

JB
Jun. 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
Your wish is my command :lol:

Excellent! lmao!

Alagirl
Jun. 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
Oh look, he matches your grout. He was trying to fit in with your kitchen motif.

:D

wildlifer
Jun. 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
Ah, what can I say, I am a sucker for critters. :)
(Ok, I hate squirrels....they cannot expect mercy from me. Chipmunks though, they are different :yes: ;))

I hope the tree frogs won't eat him. :lol:

ROFL, chipmunks are too cute to resist. I admit even the squirrels charm me, although I will chose the fox squirrel over the grey any day.