PDA

View Full Version : LGD dumped near my farm. Is it possible to rehab him?

RacetrackReject
Jun. 8, 2012, 10:10 AM
When I was leaving for work, at the end of my road stood a thinnish, very confused looking GP. He was standing in the middle of a side road just sort of looking in all directions like he was lost, confused, and had no idea which way to head. If he is still around when I get home and has not found my farm and killed all of my chickens, I was thinking of trying to take him/her in and see if I could maybe talk him/her into guarding my chickens/pastures. Is this crazy thinking?

Anyone want a GP?

SGray
Jun. 8, 2012, 10:13 AM
go for it

HydroPHILE
Jun. 8, 2012, 10:15 AM
Are there any Animal Controls in your area that could pick him up and prevent him from getting hit by a vehicle/killing someone's chickens (if he is prone to do so,) etc.? Judging by his disorientation, I would say he was dumped or may be a senior dog.

RacetrackReject
Jun. 8, 2012, 10:24 AM
Technically there is no form of AC where I live because I am out of the city limits. The Sheriff's office is supposed to deal this sort of thing, but uummm, I had a run in with the Sheriff's office over a severely injured horse that they were saying was fine because it wasn't skinny. I told the Sheriff to his face that there are many ways to abuse an animal that don't involve starvation (this horse was missing a whole hoof,2 others were deteriorating, and the leg with the missing hoof looked like an elephant's leg). I then went on a Facebook crusade, since it was election time, to get the horse help (even posted on here). The Sheriff's family attacked me, blah blah, but in the end the horse's owner was found and the horse was finally humanely euthanized. So, uh, yeah, I don't think they are going to help me any...lol.

Ghazzu
Jun. 8, 2012, 10:37 AM
By all means take him in.
But I'd ask around and see if he may have gotten lost vs. being dumped.

RacetrackReject
Jun. 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
I will definitely ask around. He didn't have a collar that I saw, but that doesn't mean anything and he/she is a bit furry, so it's possibly I just couldn't see it.

I do know of one farm less than 5 miles from mine that has 2 GPs, but I went by there on the way to work and both of their dogs were in the sheep field.

Who knows, he may not even be friendly, but he just looked so sad and lost that I talked myself into checking into trying to find him again after work and seeing what I can work out.

Nlevie
Jun. 8, 2012, 11:33 AM
Good luck ! Let us know how it goes. I had 2 very sweet GPs that I loved, but they sure did like to roam and it's very possible that this one got lost OR someone wanted him gone ?

HPFarmette
Jun. 8, 2012, 12:06 PM
I hope he's okay!

ESG
Jun. 8, 2012, 12:26 PM
Good luck.

I'm in a similar situation. Had a black male pug show up on my doorstep yesterday morning. Good thing I was home; little git decided to take a dip in my waterfall in the back yard and couldn't get out. If I hadn't been here, I'd have come home to find floating dead dog in my water feature.

:sigh: Must now put up signs and walk the neighborhood with him, to see if I can find his owner. Why can't people keep their damned dogs at home? :sigh:

hastyreply
Jun. 8, 2012, 12:38 PM
A few years ago I saw one out in a neighbor's field. I slowed to look to be sure he wasn't mine and he took off. A few days later I came out and he was at my place but he ran off as soon as he saw me. I put a dish of food out on the edge of my place and it was gone that evening. The next morning I looked for him and couldn't find him.... until I looked in my sheep pen and I had TWO GPs in there. He'd jumped the gate and gotten in there. He was basicly untouchable but would eat. I caught and got a collar on him. I would just sit by his food and got him to the point he'd eat next me( I put my hand in his bowl and he'd have to push it out of the way to get to his kibbles). Recatching him was always tricky but I finally got smart and put a short, about 8inch piece of clothesline on his collar. I could catch him and he'd resist for a few seconds then give in. He was never an in your pocket dog. He'd definitely come from a livestock situation. I ended up rehoming him to a goat dairy where he settled in after a little adjustment period. He could only take being handled for a short period of time. So I would just do short sessions with him. It took me 6 weeks to be able to put my hands on him.

sketcher
Jun. 8, 2012, 12:47 PM
Why can't people keep their damned dogs at home? :sigh:

I wouldn't assume some idjit is just letting their little puglet loose. Most likely someone is worried sick that she somehow escaped and took off.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 8, 2012, 01:14 PM
Absolutely!:yes: One of my best dogs is an LGD/BC cross, and I got him as an adult. I just walked up to him, said "I'll be looking after you from here on out," and we've been friends ever since.

I don't have stock at home for him to watch over, so he watches over me.:) He's a big floofy velcro dog. Sweet as he can be with the other dogs and the cats. Loves to go shopping with me at dog-friendly places, because kids think he's a huge teddy bear and can't pass him without giving him a hug.

Let some stranger come up to the house? Cujo's got nothin' on this guy. Nobody's ever got close enough to find out, but he assures me he would rip the guy's arms off and beat him to death with 'em.

Nobody ever came to claim my guy, but you might want to put the word out. GPs guard by patrolling the perimeter of whatever they consider their territory. And sometimes that territory, in their minds, is way bigger than their owner's actual property.

RacetrackReject
Jun. 8, 2012, 01:44 PM
If I can get him to follow me home or get in the truck, I can put him in my grass arena for a bit since it has hurricane fencing around it.

My biggest problem is how to teach the dog where the boundaries end. There are several dogs that roam in the neighborhood, but the neighbor directly to my right shoots anything that puts a toe on his on his property. My fencing next to their house is cattle panels welded to pipe fencing so the dog coudn't get through that area, but at the house the fence changes to just pipe welded fencing and he could get through.

I'm also going to talk to my neighbor that cuts my hay. He has several large pastures of cows and I know coyotes have been a problem for him this spring. He bought a donkey, but maybe I could talk him into taking the GP too since he has more land and more to guard.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 8, 2012, 01:59 PM
My biggest problem is how to teach the dog where the boundaries end.

. . .

I'm also going to talk to my neighbor that cuts my hay. He has several large pastures of cows and I know coyotes have been a problem for him this spring. He bought a donkey, but maybe I could talk him into taking the GP too since he has more land and more to guard.

Well, you could just do what I did and make him a house dog.:D

Or you could talk to your neighbor. Be careful about those donkeys, though - some of them will try and kill a dog.

RacetrackReject
Jun. 8, 2012, 02:35 PM
Already have 2 dogs and a kitten in the house. No more indoor animals..lol.

Guilherme
Jun. 8, 2012, 03:39 PM
Take it in, if you want to, but make a formal report the sheriff.

The reason is that everything belongs to somebody and if somebody comes looking for the dog and you're already "cross-wise" with the sheriff you might find yourself on the wrong end of a theft charge.

Trust me on this; been there, done that. Avoided trouble because I'd already made the report. ;)

G.

Member, State Bar of Texas (Retired)

susanne
Jun. 8, 2012, 04:40 PM
From what I've learned on an LGD forum, they don't bond with poultry the same way that they do with sheep, goats and other mammalian livestock. They can learn to guard the birds, but it is not the same instinctive bonding, and they most often need to learn while young.

Every dog is different, but if your chickens free range, you may be better off giving him to the hayman's cattle farm.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 8, 2012, 04:42 PM
Already have 2 dogs and a kitten in the house. No more indoor animals..lol.

:lol: I have more dogs and cats than that in my bed at night.:D Five dogs and two cats live in the house, but only two of the dogs have bed privileges.

Sadly the LGD is not among them - at least not at home. He sleeps with us when we visit my Dad, though, because his crate is too big and heavy to take with us. He takes up at least a third of a king-sized bed.

susanne
Jun. 8, 2012, 05:27 PM
Our pyrenees/retriever mix slept on our FULL-sized bed with us. It was like having another human sleeping in between us.

Guin
Jun. 8, 2012, 05:31 PM
So, have you acquired sad lost dog yet? :D

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 8, 2012, 05:35 PM
Yes, we want an update. And pictures would be nice, too.:)

JanM
Jun. 8, 2012, 07:58 PM
This might not be a LGD, but an indoor couch potato. I agree about no more indoor animals, because you might end up sitting on the floor while the animals all take the couch.

carp
Jun. 8, 2012, 08:05 PM
This might not be a LGD, but an indoor couch potato. I agree about no more indoor animals, because you might end up sitting on the floor while the animals all take the couch.

So it's not just me that gets pushed off the couch by the dogs? :lol:
I have discovered that large dogs tend to avoid my rocking chair. I think they find it a little awkward and unnerving to climb onto, as it won't hold still. Never stopped the cats, though.

chism
Jun. 9, 2012, 09:21 AM
Large dogs can be a mixed blessing, like when my 120 lb Ridgeback hears a particularly loud bolt of thunder and leaps on me while I'm laying on the couch. He doesn't realize he's not a lap dog.

Lilykoi
Jun. 9, 2012, 09:30 AM
Sorry, but what is a GP?

Laurierace
Jun. 9, 2012, 09:46 AM
Great Pyrenees

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 9, 2012, 01:42 PM
Sorry, but what is a GP?

Like the big white floofy dog that appears at about :14 in this commercial. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd6MOKgZ9bE)

Jun. 9, 2012, 02:16 PM
Get him.
Pyrs are usually not livestock agressive but if he is an apartment dog who grew to big, ate too much, shed too much may not be outdoor savvy.

Talk to your GP neighbors and have them come over to evaluate his potential as a working member of your farm. If he passes you will not regret it.

If he doesn't pm me and I will call my GP breeder and we will find the best nearby GP rescue to you.

"To own a great pyreneese is to want one always." Mary W. Crane (The Complete Great pyreneese-1977)

Foxtrot's
Jun. 9, 2012, 03:14 PM
He's probably moved on in his confusion, poor guy. Or maybe he's adopted you?

grayarabs
Jun. 9, 2012, 04:15 PM
sorry what is LGD?

any news?

Somermist
Jun. 9, 2012, 04:20 PM
Did you get your new dog yet?;)

JanM
Jun. 9, 2012, 04:27 PM
Grayarabs-LGD is a Livestock Guard Dog. Or in the case of this one maybe a Living room Guard Dog.

ToiRider
Jun. 9, 2012, 04:49 PM
Jingles for the dog and hoping to hear about a good outcome for him/her!

Guin
Jun. 9, 2012, 05:11 PM
....taps fingers impatiently.

Crooked Horse
Jun. 9, 2012, 05:53 PM
....taps fingers impatiently.

Me TOO!!

RacetrackReject
Jun. 11, 2012, 09:54 AM
I was not able to find the GP this weekend, either he was lost and found his way home, moved on, or, hopefully, someone took him in. I just hope he's somewhere safe with good food and water and lots shade.

Thanks for all of the help. I will keep it all on file in case he turns up again.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 11, 2012, 05:05 PM
I hope so too.:) Probably he either found his way back home or his people found him. Owners of Pyr LGDs are generally no strangers to tracking down wandering beasties.:)

Most years I have several hounds come through the farm during hunting season. I offer them a nice bed on some old hay and some water and supper, and in thirteen years only two have remained longer than overnight.

One of those two was a beagle whose owner came for her a couple of days later (beagle owners are also pretty good trackers.:D).

The other wasn't a hound but a Brittany. Who sleeps in my bed now.:lol: