PDA

View Full Version : Headed to look at a horse this weekend.

HydroPHILE
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:41 PM
I am headed to look at a horse on Saturday. Ooh Ahhh....though not at all anything out of the ordinary: just excited but not trying to be too excited.

I was contacted by a friend of an owner about a cute teenage Quarter Horse mare (:eek: not normally a mare person, but ChocoMare's Penny and Tank kind of changed that) that was for sale at a "very reasonable price." The mare is about ten minutes away from our farm which is even better.

Friend gave a partial history of the mare: finished reiner/reined cowhorse, ran some barrels, trail horse, started in Hunters as she has a cute Hunt Seat trot.

Owner gave me full history (as far as she knows) on the mare:
Mare and gelding purchased for owner a year ago as a birthday present from her husband. Owner hasn't had a lot of time to work with mare. Previous owner hadn't ridden mare in "a few years" because previous owner had an accident and couldn't ride. Mare is [supposedly] a finished reiner with cutting experience and barrel experience as well. HOWEVER.......... mare has a bratty habit of kicking right rear leg out when asked to move from a walk to a trot. Owner said, "maybe she just doesn't like to trot around in a ring."

Owner doesn't have the time or knowledge to work that brat-kick out of her and wants her to go to someone who can. Mare is of Doc Bar lines and nicely put together: not flashy, but a beautiful blood bay mare.

While I see some regular riding time in this mare's future would benefit her and her kick-quirk, I am luck enough to have a friend down the road that is a trainer and is also a reined cow horse person that is coming with me on Saturday to check the mare out. I figured since the mare is priced so reasonably, I would offer friend/trainer to work her for me and get her back in working condition. We are in the process of making A LOT of repairs around the farm, and I don't know if I will have immediate time for regular riding (as in riding every day for 60-90 days) which is why I discussed an agreement with friend (a written agreement would follow.)

I have gone to look at quite a few horses in the last few months, and I am just about ready to call it quits and wait it out. I've seen horses whose original ads online said "has a history of foundering" only to see their ad edited and whiddled down to "easy keeper." I saw a horse whose hooves were so bad, it was if they were rotting off. I saw two "cow horses" who balked at the sight of a cow to the extent of running backwards and knocking its rider off into a tree.

Crossing my fingers!

potteryshop
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
Good luck. Have fun. Have the hocks checked.

OveroHunter
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:47 PM
Good luck. Have fun. Have the hocks checked.

My thoughts exactly. Good luck!!

HydroPHILE
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:53 PM
Yep - plan on doing a check on her, but I am also taking the "finished reiner/cutting" with a grain of salt unless that can actually be proven. I've seen quite a few folks say their horse was a "finished" whatever because it could do one or two things :)

ChocoMare
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:56 PM
Fingers crossed! :D

spotnnotfarm
Jun. 7, 2012, 02:10 PM
Good luck!! Who is the reined cowhorse trainer? Just wondering in case my ever moves back to Texas (I have forbidden it though!!)

HydroPHILE
Jun. 7, 2012, 02:28 PM
Good luck!! Who is the reined cowhorse trainer? Just wondering in case my ever moves back to Texas (I have forbidden it though!!)

She's not a pro and is someone I have known since college. She trains them to literally work cattle versus NRHA reining events :) She's in Canton, Georgia.

Bluey
Jun. 7, 2012, 04:09 PM
Find the mare's registration name/number and check it against AQHA and NRHA records for ownership, last owner of record and any performance it may have participated in.

Fancyslastasset
Jun. 7, 2012, 05:27 PM
I would check her for soundness issues. I would bet her hocks and/or back are sore.

HydroPHILE
Jun. 8, 2012, 08:04 AM
Two other persons at this owner's barn said they have seen the mare ridden by someone with more experience and have never seen the horse kick out when asked to move from a walk to a trot. I plan on checking soreness/hock/stifle issues. I am not concerned about her performance record as I don't plan on using her for such. I was just saying I always take what owners (especially when they have only owned a horse a year) say the previous owners told them about specific training with a grain of salt. :)

HydroPHILE
Jun. 8, 2012, 08:10 AM
I *think* this is the same mare based on the photo I received, nickname, and info:

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-420096

Bluey
Jun. 8, 2012, 10:03 AM
I *think* this is the same mare based on the photo I received, nickname, and info:

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-420096

Are you asking for comments?
The mare was born in 1997, according to AQHA records, if the name is right:

MARKETTE ASSET QH BAY MARE 04/18/1997

She is really not bred for cutting or reining, would be strange that someone put the years of training it takes in each to become a "finished" horse in them.
She is bred more for show classes like western pleasure, horsemanship, trail and such.
Not really bred to be fast enough for barrel racing, but such horses, once patterned, do make good lower level barrel/pole horses, if they are any at all athletic.

There is no record I can find of her ever showing not once in AQHA, NCHA or NRHA, but she could have been showing in other venues, 4H, open shows, playdays and/or at the club level.

Since you don't want to do any of that, it is really moot question.
If she can do what you will use her for, that is great, no matter what stories come with her.

Let us know how it works for you and her.:)

HydroPHILE
Jun. 8, 2012, 10:12 AM
Are you asking for comments?

She is really not bred for cutting or reining, would be strange that someone put the years of training it takes in each to become a "finished" horse in them.

There is no record I can find of her ever showing not once in AQHA, NCHA or NRHA, but she could have been showing in other venues, 4H, open shows, playdays and/or at the club level.

Yep - these are all reasons why I take what owners/previous owners say about training, showing, etc. with a grain of salt unless they can prove her records/training history.

She'll only be used for trails and pleasure riding so I'm not really concerned on her performance record, etc. :)

HydroPHILE
Jun. 12, 2012, 09:22 AM
Was not able to go look at her due to being sick from Friday night until last night. Still not feeling 100% but definitely much better. Owner said we could reschedule, but owner has pulled all ads and posts about the horse and won't return any calls/texts so I am assuming she is already with someone. Oh well :)

Couldn't really believe what her training was, etc. anyways which leads me to believe there may have been other issues (like medical issues to her kicking, etc.)

potteryshop
Jun. 12, 2012, 11:57 AM
Sorry it didn't work out. Rude of owner to not return calls to let you know.

HydroPHILE
Jun. 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
Eh - oh well. It wouldn't be the first time.