PDA

View Full Version : filling tractor tires with anti-freeze instead of salt?

mbj
Jun. 7, 2012, 12:56 PM
I am replacing tractor tire rims because they rust out from the salt water right around the intake valve. Thinking of using used anti-freeze (cheap/free) instead of salt. Tires in good shape and have tubes. Is this a good or bad idea and is there a better idea?

goodhors
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:28 PM
I am going to say BAD IDEA. Think what a chemical mess, poison spill for small animals, you will have it the tires leak the anti-freeze! And really bad for your soil that is spilled on, maybe leaking into your water system!

Doesn't take much to kill the dogs and cats with anti-freeze leaks out of a car, so a whole tire's worth of spilled anti-freeze should kill them all. Along with killing or sickening any other animal that might nose the leakage, pet goats, horses or cattle.

We are now using beet pulp juice to load our tires. It doesn't corrode the metal or rubber, is safe should a big tire split or leak the fill out. We get the tires filled from the mobile Farm Tire Service, they pump the juice in or out if tire should need attention.

Tires work fine loaded this way, tractor takes hold and goes. No bad side effects if used or spilled.

mbj
Jun. 7, 2012, 02:24 PM
great idea--I like beet juice!

Tamara in TN
Jun. 7, 2012, 02:28 PM
air the tires and add steel wheel weights

Tamara

My Two Cents
Jun. 7, 2012, 05:06 PM
I am going to say BAD IDEA. Think what a chemical mess, poison spill for small animals, you will have it the tires leak the anti-freeze! And really bad for your soil that is spilled on, maybe leaking into your water system!

Doesn't take much to kill the dogs and cats with anti-freeze leaks out of a car, so a whole tire's worth of spilled anti-freeze should kill them all. Along with killing or sickening any other animal that might nose the leakage, pet goats, horses or cattle.

We are now using beet pulp juice to load our tires. It doesn't corrode the metal or rubber, is safe should a big tire split or leak the fill out. We get the tires filled from the mobile Farm Tire Service, they pump the juice in or out if tire should need attention.

Tires work fine loaded this way, tractor takes hold and goes. No bad side effects if used or spilled.

I agree with this post. We have beet juice in ours and have been very happy with it and sleep well at night knowing that an accidental spill won't kill my animals. Adding steel weights won't work well with our tractor.

judybigredpony
Jun. 7, 2012, 07:36 PM

Our new Tractor came prepped this way and it works great and I don't ever have to work about a spil or leak or corrosion...

tasia
Jun. 7, 2012, 09:06 PM
air the tires and add steel wheel weights

Tamara

This :yes: Anti freeze will ruin the tires.