PDA

View Full Version : Silly Mommy/ the CDHJC and all that...

a/o
Apr. 16, 2001, 09:43 AM
I'm editing this out because this is obviously a somewhat inflammatory topic.

[This message was edited by Alf on Apr. 20, 2001 at 12:21 PM.]

a/o
Apr. 16, 2001, 09:43 AM
I'm editing this out because this is obviously a somewhat inflammatory topic.

[This message was edited by Alf on Apr. 20, 2001 at 12:21 PM.]

Goodmudder
Apr. 16, 2001, 10:04 AM
Perhaps it's me. .. but I don't know what you're talking about! Must be more private than you thought! What's CD?

Jumphigh83
Apr. 16, 2001, 10:12 AM
Holy cow..I hadn't heard that allegation but it wouldn't surprise me ....It is THE PITS here..all the shows that were any good do not exist anymore, apathy, lack of support, the undermining efforts of the afformentioned dirt bag, the I can do it myself w/o professional help mentality have done a real number on the area. Some of the professionals are nothing more than moderately capable amateurs who have hung out a shingle and there are alot of people burned by unscrupulous horse deals..then they quit forever, buy a tennis racket and move on..leaving us with the well deserved mantle of the "horse trader". It is sad becasue it used to be pretty prosperous with several good shows for all levels of riders, from maiden to medal maclay....now there is a year award for novice hunter..what the heck is that??? You win three class(15 points or whatever) and in theory you are out...be second ALL YEAR and win the year end championship!!??? There are so many bizarrely restricted divisions and odd self serving rules it is hard to keep track of them all...I feel bad. The CDHJC I knew was fairly cohesive (as much as horse people could be) and definately progressive..That changed about 10 or so years ago when an unsavory element was allowed too much influence in decision making and allowed into the leadership, which was undermined from the inside out. Now there isn't much left. No winter shows to speak of, no summer shows (save the few A shows they "point") and basically the only thing doing OK is the school horse showing..a veritable cash cow for the barns...

Betsy

Apr. 16, 2001, 05:00 PM
that is doing much better than the rated shows. Most of their shows are on the same grounds as the rated shows, costs less, more fun, sometimes 3x as many horses, and the quality of horseflesh/people is better. JMHO

Linny
Apr. 16, 2001, 05:43 PM
Enquiring minds want to know. I have been out of the CDH/JC for a while (more than 10 yrs) and just started back taking lessons. I'd love gossip, please feel free to em me. Where did you ladies ride? I assume I know who the alleged harasser is. I'm just back to riding and considering buying or leasing but don't want to meet with disaster. Please give some me advice.

Linny
Apr. 16, 2001, 07:40 PM
the good news is that I never have! Nor anyone related to anyone with those initials. Dodged that bullet anyhoo.

skysmom
Apr. 17, 2001, 04:55 AM
Just my 2 cents.....too bad somethings never change ..I rode in the area waaaayyyy back in the 70's..the little scumbag didn't roll far from the BIG scumbag..did it!?!..

Jumphigh83
Apr. 17, 2001, 06:08 AM
Skysmom...ROFLMAO!!!!!! You made my day!!!!!!!!

Betsy

Apr. 17, 2001, 06:58 AM
What Betsy said!!!!!

smc
Apr. 17, 2001, 02:27 PM
you all are bringing back memories. i too showed in the CDHJC shows in the late 70's. it's sad to hear that the shows have gone downhill. i'm still trying to figure out that tasty little bit of info and am tempted to call an old friend for some more info!!

JILLO626
Apr. 17, 2001, 02:48 PM
I still think that CDHJC is great now! It gives you the baby step to start your show career.

Jill

Also I dont know if you guys know their website here it is:

http://www.cdhjc.bizland.com[
[This message was edited by JILLO626 on Apr. 17, 2001 at 06:59 PM.]

[This message was edited by JILLO626 on Apr. 17, 2001 at 07:00 PM.]

Apr. 17, 2001, 04:29 PM
Same newsletter that I read for the past 12 years. I had/have my friends, and the rest are meaningless...

Josie
Apr. 17, 2001, 05:27 PM
OMG Jill Get your head out of your butt and smell the doo doo in the Capital District!!! You obviously have not been "around" much or you would realize that this particular area is seriously lacking in knowledgable professionals and if you need proof just go to the upcoming St Clements horse show. The poor,naive people who are buying the load of bull these so called professionals are selling them are an embarassment when they go to the bigger shows. I can only think of one person who I would board and train with in the area and she won't have any thing to do with the locals for the very reasons as stated above. I wish the people in the area would wake up and realize they are being lied to and get help from someone who knows what they are doing. I know I will be at St Clements to watch the local contingent Its my yearly entertainment!!!

JILLO626
Apr. 17, 2001, 05:45 PM
Why are all of you guys grilling on CDHJC? Let me ask you a question. Do you have tons of money that you can spend to go to all of the A shows? I seriously doubt it! CDHJC smaller shows let people who are just starting get a chance at showing.
Okay so I know some people that bought horses that were way to much for them but they eventually worked their way thru it. I also know tons of people,Like me, who have bought horse thru the professionals and have had great success.
I also know that trainers wont go to the smaller shows because this one doesnt like that one and so on. But you should never burn your bridges behind you!
I dont think that you should be picking on CDHJC specifaclly when there are tons of others organizations ought there just like Capital District. I just think it is plain wrong to pick on this one in particular /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

JILLO626
Apr. 17, 2001, 05:48 PM
Also the thing with St. Clemets is the footing isnt the best in the world. And it is the first big show that we get to go to. The horse arent used to being ridden outside. I think that St. Clements is a great show!!!

Linny
Apr. 17, 2001, 05:55 PM
Yes, Alf, I'm at DM. Funny thing is that I started there 30 years ago. I rode there through my junior years and left to ride with a friend at her place. It is weird being back with PVG after 20 years. I have several friends with horses there so I get to ride an extra horse now and then. I have to admit that I'm not nuts about the schoolies they have right now. I've been riding a horse that they part lease from a boarder. It has been fun riding again after a few years away but after my last horse (the equine love of my life) I am spoiled! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Apr. 17, 2001, 06:06 PM
at St. Clements, just other factors leave a bad taste in my mouth.

elizabeth
Apr. 17, 2001, 07:25 PM
Hey, Fleetie, welcome. I used to be from upstate New York, so I might know the horse that you used to ride or own. . . who was it?

Also, you said on another thread that you got your screen name from a school horse. That wouldn't be "Fleetwood Lassie," would it? If so, what a small world!!

Jumphigh83
Apr. 17, 2001, 07:26 PM
Jill, we are grilling them because we remember when it WAS decent...There are so many frauds out there and it is sad that customers ussually end up sick and tired of the whole thing from buying bad horses to learning all the wrong stuff..you dont need a fortune to go to A show..they arent that much more than a local show if you go for the day and do the novice stuff. You will be jumping SAFE and SANE courses, not ones built to a 10 foot stride (so all the crippled scopeless horses that were sold to these poor unsuspecting people can come home with a ribbon). The stuff you learn at the current bunch of "shows" is for the most part better off forgotten. I am NO snob but I refuse to spend a weeks pay riding in a place that smells like a cat box or has concrete for footing, igmorant course designing and general low quality. I would rather do ONE A show than a jillion "local" shows.

Betsy

skysmom
Apr. 17, 2001, 07:52 PM
I was at the 1st CDHJC banquet, rode with one of the "founding" fathers..yada-yada..BUT once I left there and started with a real trainer (I commuted to Rochester every weekend by Greyhound)..I started to learn how much I DID NOT know, and just how full of bull-crap many of the CD people were. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I have stories that'll curl your toes!! Let me just say I went to the web-site & saw they have an Eq medal named for CC.. can we say oxymoron!!!!! that man & equitation have nothing to do with each other! ( should have named the dirty-joke award after him) jmho

Linny
Apr. 17, 2001, 08:00 PM
"Fleetwood Lassie" is the origin of the name, in a roundabout way. While I was expecting we moved to a house right near DM. I couldn't ride but liked to stop by the barn. My (non horsey) husband fell in love with Lassie's gentle demeanor. Our last name is WOOD so he calls her "Fleet" rather than Lassie. He assumed that that was her first name. He even calls is new car "Fleet" after her. I only rode her once and have to say that I enjoy her more from he ground! The horse I ride is boarded there and used for some lessons. I haven't taken the plunge yet as hubby and I may have another little one first.
Did you ride there? How long ago?

Linny
Apr. 17, 2001, 08:08 PM
Elizabeth, the horses I rode/leased were Call Millennium, Arrogance and Satisfaction Guaranteed (20 years ago) I also showed a horse named Uptown for a season or two a LONG time ago, I dont even know who owned him, he was boarded at an acquaintance's barn and no one came to ride him.

smc
Apr. 18, 2001, 05:48 AM
hey fleetie, do you remember a horse that pvg had called slightly tarnished in the late 70's? after leaving the cd area i went to work for a trainer that had that horse before pvg. made me realize what a small world the horse show world is!!!

Jumphigh83
Apr. 18, 2001, 06:12 AM
I remember Slightly..he ended up at SRF in Ballston spa..He had a "tarnish" at the top of his tail..hence the name...what happened after that??? I dont remember.

Betsy

smc
Apr. 18, 2001, 06:18 AM
i don't know what happened to him after pvg. i just remember him from shows and did hear about him from before he went up to the cd area.

elizabeth
Apr. 18, 2001, 07:47 AM
Hi Fleetie. I used to ride Fleetwood Lassie, which is why I asked. (I rode with Peter back in about 1985-ish.) Why didn't you like riding her? (I have my own view, which I'll share, once I get yours. . . .!!)

Which is the horse you ride there?
What a small, small world! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Apr. 18, 2001, 08:14 AM
are doing quite well in the jumpers...

elizabeth
Apr. 18, 2001, 08:21 AM
Yes, Alf, Fleetwood Lassie is/was a little chestnut (15.3).

Alf, with whom did you ride and when?

Jumphigh83
Apr. 18, 2001, 08:37 AM
Leanne moved to Palm Beach and took her Dad with her /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif (I miss them) She is an exquisite rider, another unappriciated jewel in the area forced to move to where their talents could be more of service to them...(like Scott Hofsteder, Timmy Gougan, John Blair....) They too realized what a dead end it is here...It is difficult swimming upstream against a stagnant mentality. SK truely hasn't changed a bit, if anything the group is more devious and underhanded than ever...PA is tamed down some but still going strong, SRF had a bumpy patch but I guess they are still up and running affliated with Sand Castle Farm, (a customer)there have been so many changes in the area since the early - mid seventies..I forgot how much has changed.

Betsy

Linny
Apr. 18, 2001, 11:40 AM
I was looking through some of the old photos in the DM viewing lounge the other night. There used to be some really nice horses in that barn. Anyone recall Grey Image, Aruba, Tinker Toy, Star O'Man, Atlantis?
Alf and Elizabeth, Fleetwood Lassie is a cute little chestnut mare. She was quite the little packer in her day. She's a bit sour/sore (funny how those words are so alike) now and needs a "confident" ride. Back in my junior years I was always the one who got stuck riding that type. Now I'm a big ol' chicken. "Fleeters" will still show her old self on the outside course or with the ideal ride.
It is too bad that there isn't more depth of talent here anymore. There are some nice showgrounds and so many good shows with close reach. My last trainer was so fed up with the politics and lack of horsemanship that she gave up with several nice greenies in her barn. Jumphigh can attest to the quality of this woman's stock but she just dropped out. She had the talent and horses but family conditions kept her here so now she has a 12 year old green mare in her barn!

AdultHunterRider
Apr. 18, 2001, 12:22 PM
I used to live and ride in the CD. It's been almost 11 years since I left. I have to agree with alot that has been said. The trainer that I was with up there was really bad but I just did not know any better. When I moved, I found out how bad it had really been.

I had heard that DM was going to be replaced with houses/townhouses. Did that happen? Did they move? Or is still on off of Rt. 20?

Josie
Apr. 18, 2001, 12:29 PM
Slightly Tarnished was retired to a field and las t I knew he was still owned by Kristin Z. As far as the Capital Dipsticks go and this is for Jill since she seems to be the only one defending them Do you self a favor and take some lessons from one of the well known trainers and you will be enlightened as to what everyone is talking about as far as the professional (I use this word very loosely when it refers to CD)expertise in the area.

Linny
Apr. 18, 2001, 03:03 PM
is still on Western Ave (Rt 20) at the old Triple A barn. The old barn by the mall was demolished when the mall became The Behemoth. There is a very pricey development beind it near the golf course, but there is still decent trail riding land. I live right near there (not in the pricey development /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ) and it has gotten very commercial around here.
Hey anyone remember the place that used to be called Shamrock Stable? Now that area has really gotten developed.

laurie
Apr. 18, 2001, 05:10 PM
WOW, this certainly brings back memories, both good and bad. I was also at the first annual awards, was it 1975? I was working hunter champion that year, it think it was 1975, I rode with DM in the 70's and remember those "founding fathers". although I don't ride anymore, I am still in the area and run into old friends who keep me abreast of what is happening. Its sad that the CDHJC has become what it seems to have become. Unfortunately the Albany area seems to be a very small pond and a lot of people feel that they are the big fish. The old DM was torn down probably 15 years ago for a huge mall, the current DM is the old Mill Pond Stables.

Linny
Apr. 18, 2001, 05:44 PM
DM is at the old Mill Pond, not Triple A. PA is still "running" Winter Glen at the old Triple A. Don't get me started on her /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
What was your horse's name Laurie? There are still some good people and good riders. Sadly the pros who have come up through this area have left.

Jumphigh83
Apr. 18, 2001, 05:47 PM
Was that Balmoral?

Betsy

laurie
Apr. 18, 2001, 06:01 PM
I don't think Balmoral, a/k/a Charlie won end of the year awards, my horse was Fox Chapel. I remember DK was reserve and we fought it out at every show. I think Balmoral was saved for the "big" shows and didn't show as much on the local circuit.

Jumphigh83
Apr. 18, 2001, 06:07 PM
Oh yes..I do remember Fox Chapel..Hey do you know what Tommy Moore is up to these days?? He used to pop up every now and then but I haven't seen him now in a long time...

Betsy

laurie
Apr. 18, 2001, 06:18 PM
Betsy,
Tom is alive and well and living in downtown Albany, he & I were at St. Clements last year on Saturday and usually make that our annual horse show reunion day. One horse show appearance a year seems to be enough for us.

Linny
Apr. 18, 2001, 06:52 PM
There's still a pic of Fox in the DM lounge. He was so tight up front and round as a ball. I was tring to recall his name in the post above about some old DM horses.

skysmom
Apr. 18, 2001, 08:05 PM
Tommy Moore & I went to high school together!! one year we rode back from a show in Buffolo together in the back (with the horses) of DK's goose-neck..at that time I was riding at a barn in Rochester but needed a ride back to CD..those were the days!<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Oh, I do remember Fox Chapel, nice horse..I was into jumpers then so I'm having trouble remembering the rider (sorry)[/list]

elizabeth
Apr. 18, 2001, 08:10 PM
I just heard that Janet Sandola, a rider in the Capital District, died. I guess she died a while ago - a year? Maybe more.

I found that very sad - she was a wonderful, big-hearted person.

Does anyone know what she died from?

(She rode with DM for years. She might have ultimately switched to Skidmore. And at the bitter end, I am told she had her horses with Pat Snow.)

MHM
Apr. 18, 2001, 08:13 PM
See how Skysmom's post has different margins? Why does that happen sometimes?!

Apr. 18, 2001, 08:46 PM
skysmom is posessed!!!

Muuuuhhhaaahahahhahahahahahha

No, she's not my alter, she's older than me, and owns a beautiful Mandarin baby that she, um happened to buy from, ummm me.

JILLO626
Apr. 19, 2001, 06:23 AM
I have taken lesson from one of the well know trainers. I used to ride at Skimore w/ Cindy for 5 years, now I ride with Don Bourque. So I know whats going on with what you are saying. I am just saying that that happens everywhere you go not just in CDHJC.

Jumphigh83
Apr. 19, 2001, 06:32 AM
Elizabeth...last I knew Pat's horses were at a barn near me on First Dyke Road...I don't remember her dying (not Pat..)...ussually the CDHJC sends flowers to people close to organization when they die and I don't remember ever sending any?? I'll have to ask Jimmy he could have a more accurate memory...
laurie...ask Tommy to stop and say hi at St Clements...I have to go there (as opposed to Garden State, becasue of the boarders /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )Enjoy the "entertainment".... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Betsy

ccoronios
Apr. 19, 2001, 09:14 AM
Alf, where was Don when you rode with him? He started (in this area) in a barn a couple miles from me. He was wonderful. His partner at the time was a moron with an attitude.
Jill - please tell Don that Carol (the refrom Chatham says "hi". And, if you would, please e-mail me his address - I'd like to get in touch.

Apr. 19, 2001, 10:46 AM
Nothing more to say...

skysmom
Apr. 19, 2001, 12:14 PM
SillyMommy, thanks for the pic.of my boy!! Cutie if I do say so myself!! Good Luck at PHA, hope to be there on Thurs. to cheer ( or heckle ) you on /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JILLO626
Apr. 19, 2001, 01:44 PM
Yup Don is still around. He is the best. He be at St. Clements. If you see him riding a big plain bay horse in the baby greens that is my horse.

Josie
Apr. 19, 2001, 02:48 PM
Jill since you have told us who you ride with you dont need to say anymore There is a reason why Don B was not in the area for awhile and as for DD I have one word to describe that man "BUTCHER" any more said on that man would be a waste of my typing skills

Josie
Apr. 19, 2001, 02:50 PM
Jumphigh I believe we know each other I used to work for Judy Richter I thought you would be quicker to pick it up your slacking girl

Apr. 19, 2001, 03:49 PM
We may know each other as well. I rode with JR back in the mid 80's. I also was not brave enough to voice a certain opinion about someone mentioned earlier...

JILLO626
Apr. 19, 2001, 03:53 PM
Why cait I say anymore? I only started riding w/Don 10 months ago. Before that I had been at Skidmore for the 5 years w/ Cindy Ford. Since I still have an opinion i can still say whatever i chose to voice

Jumphigh83
Apr. 19, 2001, 08:56 PM
Hey Josie...do you know my friend Louise McN??? She worked for Judy for a time several years ago..she LOVED Judy..she tells me I need to be more like her! I guess I have "sucker" tatooed on my forehead (under the bangs!) Maybe I'll get a zebra...???..hmmmmm.....

Betsy

ssaymssik
Apr. 20, 2001, 02:12 PM
need some company!!!

The CDHJC is nothing compared to the TCRA.

Can I bum a smoke?

Apr. 20, 2001, 06:52 PM
FM, are we transitioning from organizations in the Capitol District? I have the same oppinion about both. One is on the bottom step, and the other is falling into the basement...

drambuie
Apr. 20, 2001, 07:37 PM
OMG! Beth where did you hear about Janet? She was SUCH a sweetheart!! Gosh, she could not have been all that much older than us. I remember her from DM, but I also rode w/her for quite a few years at Skidmore when she had Gator. That's terrible!!!

elizabeth
Apr. 20, 2001, 08:12 PM
Suz, there was a reference in an old CDHJC newsletter to the Janet Sandola memorial fund. That's all I know. . . .

Linny
Apr. 20, 2001, 08:47 PM
Was her "Gator" a big chestnut with a blaze? Did he belong to CF at one time or I amthinking of the wrong horse?

drambuie
Apr. 21, 2001, 07:20 AM
If I remember correctly, Gator, or The Navigator was a bay. I'ts been a while though. CF did find Gator for Janet to buy, but I'm not sure of any previous connection. I do know that he had been around the CD for a long time before Janet owned him.

elizabeth
Apr. 21, 2001, 08:13 AM
Gator was black, I thought, and I thought - I could be wrong - that he was at SRF for a long time. So finding him was just a matter of calling BG, I think.

Linny
Apr. 21, 2001, 09:09 AM
I'm thinking of a different horse.

a/o
Apr. 21, 2001, 11:43 AM
I think I remember a horse named The Navigator...the one I'm thinking of was bay with a white stripe on his face...I'm pretty sure he was with BG when I knew him...but, of course, I could absolutely be thinking of the wrong horse. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jumphigh83
Apr. 21, 2001, 05:02 PM
The Navagator (Gator) was a dark bay with white on his face..he was really really a crooked horse and moved like a...sewing machine..BUT he had a heart of GOLD and was a great horse who gave his best 110% of the time. Sarah ??? (Help!!) owned him at SRF, tjhen when she went to school another Sara bought him (an adult) and then I guess he went to SCS...

I DO remember Holly too! Everyone would just die to ride Mountaineer....there was a girl named something(Debbie??) Albright that rode him alot in our lesson..she had a long long braid down her back...then there was Downing Street, Cloudy Afternoon....wow..so many blasts from the past!

Betsy

elizabeth
Apr. 21, 2001, 05:04 PM
Sara Ten Eyck (or something like that)

We used to take lessons together - her on Gator, me on Cooper. Dear God, Gator did indeed have a heart of gold (as did Cooper).

Betsy, go check your e-mail!

Apr. 21, 2001, 05:09 PM
named after me, has turned into more of a nastolgic moment!!!lol

elizabeth
Apr. 21, 2001, 05:18 PM
Silly Mommy, it is a way for all of us to share the love. . . .

can i bum a smoke?

Apr. 21, 2001, 05:37 PM
"sharing the love", but hubby might get jealous!!!!! I don't smoke any more thank you!!!!

ssaymssik
Apr. 21, 2001, 05:47 PM
I'll share some love.

Can I bum a smoke?

*Tiggs118*
Apr. 21, 2001, 07:41 PM
You know what everyone!! I think you should stop and look at what you are writing about the CDHJC, because you were once in it yourseleves. Right now it is just in a between period, there are going to be a lot of amazing riders really soon. You are just older peep who move on, this is called a younger generation that you don't seem to watch. But there are many good trainers, but some people think there aren't. But it isn't really nice to say how poor all the trainers are because people get hurt and are offend by your rude remarks. I train with a fabulous stable, and my friend Jill does as well. I learn a ton at Skiddy training w/CF. You need to get pass the diappointments you had and actually encourage positive notes to the new comers in the Capital District, not say how horrible it is, that is what will discourage people and make them feel bad about themselves who read the boards. Lots of A shows are expensive for some people out there, but lots of people love to ride in local shows for the excitement and learning. Actually I enjoy where I am and I think giving a Novice hunter award is a great way to boost some child/adult self-esteem.
By the way the CDHJC does have jumper shows!

a/o
Apr. 21, 2001, 08:30 PM
Oh my gosh, the memories. Wasn't it June Ten Eyck (however the heck you spell that) that had him? Obviously the same family...were there two daughters or was Sara the mother?

I would love to hear about what happened to all the people I used to ride with/compete against...this is fun! Do you think we can compete with the Californians in terms of reminiscing? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Apr. 21, 2001, 08:40 PM
I never said the CDHJC was horrible, and I don't think anyones else has either. There are a very few trainers there that know what they are doing--yours is one of them. We (those of us who are disenchanted with the system there) just see too many people being "taken" by people who call themselves "trainers". The "system" also has flaws (as does any), but some "trainers" with leverage keep the whole "system" down. That's all...

Jumphigh83
Apr. 21, 2001, 08:51 PM
Sara Blowers had gator at SRF, then Sara (the adult)then SCS.

Betsy

*Tiggs118*
Apr. 22, 2001, 07:09 AM
Ok.. well the way you talked about the CDHJC and some others, made it seem like a whole worthless opportunity to get experienced. But besides that I dotn' think you should write any negative notes on boards because people (trainers and there students) could be looking at the remarks and be hurt by them. That wouldn't be very approiate to say.

Jumphigh83
Apr. 22, 2001, 07:21 PM
Tigg there should be a beginner award ...for BEGINNERS..like short stirrup ..but for the "novice" that is a perpetual novice rider (one in particular three or four YEARS in a row) is rediculous. Novice by definition is never to have won three blue ribbons at a recognized competition..three wins..OUT...fivethousandmillion seconds and fourths= CHAMPION! that's somethiing to be proud of!

Betsy

PrincessTiggy
Apr. 23, 2001, 05:12 PM
I still like the Novice Hunter Idea. I did it for a year and a half!!! The blue ribbon thing goes for the eq. only so u can win as many as u want in the hunters and still be okay for it. Also...the horse that has won that award the past two years has had numerous champions and reserves(not a few ribbons as u expalin it)and many points by the end of the year. And no this horse didn't get all his points from backyard shows, he was champion and reserve champion at St.Clements

Jumphigh83
Apr. 23, 2001, 06:36 PM
Whatever..anyone who shows in Novice after they win 3 classes is cheating themselves and the others who are really novices and should be getting the ribbons. Do what you want but I think it is wrong. A perpetual novice is nothing to be proud of champion or not...ps there were 3 people in the novice at St Clements last year...that's a tough one to win.

Betsy

Jumphigh83
Apr. 23, 2001, 06:43 PM
Oh and you really should read the rule book..novice applies to all divisions not just eq...I didn't just fall off the turnip truck I have been doing this for a while.

Betsy

Josie
Apr. 23, 2001, 07:05 PM
Jumphigh...why are you so surprised that they can find a way to stay in novice for YEARS???? The rule book I read says never to have won three blue ribbons...I guess the rules don't apply in the CD. Oh that's right, they don't! A year end award in NOVICE??? OMG! What will they think of next? Maybe we don't want to know. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Snidgie5
Apr. 23, 2001, 07:12 PM
The confusion you are all arguing over is that Tiggs showed in the special hunters, not Novice. Which means she was elligible. Also important to note, she was not on the same horse. She did one year on a pony and half a year when she moved up to a horse. The horse she is referring to did win the special hunters more than once, but with different riders.

PrincessTiggy
Apr. 24, 2001, 12:38 PM
The horse wa champion in specials not novice!! Anyone both divisions had over 20 people in them so i don't know where u came up w/ 3 but think what u want.

PrincessTiggy
Apr. 24, 2001, 12:44 PM
Showing in Specials for a while isn't cheating u know!!!!
DIRECTLY FROM THE AHSA RULEBOOK:Maiden, Novice, Limit, Intermediate. Maiden, Novice, and Limit classes are open to riders that have not won one/three/six first place ribbons respectively competing in EQUITATION classes at Regular and Local Member Competitions of this Association or the Canadian Equestrian Federation

Secondly, in the cdhjc rule it says u r eligible for specials all year if u r novice eligible as of Dec. 1 of the currrent show year!!!! So do u really know the rulebook?

[This message was edited by PrincessTiggy on Apr. 24, 2001 at 06:13 PM.]

Josie
Apr. 24, 2001, 02:48 PM
Which rulebook Jumphigh?? The AHSA rule book or the CDJHC rule book???

Josie
Apr. 24, 2001, 02:50 PM
NEWSFLASH MK going to be riding a horse at Scaratoga in the prelims Tickets on sale now Going fast

Josie
Apr. 24, 2001, 02:52 PM
Jumphigh Just found out Perky and son will be there too!!! See you there

Jumphigh83
Apr. 24, 2001, 07:32 PM
No Prin Tiggy I do not know the CD rule book. Not a member, don't care to decipher the nuances of how to make divisions so restricted and so rediculous that you can be a novice for a whole year. I DO know the AHSA rule book and that one says once you win three blue ribbons, you are no longer considerd a novice. Whatever. They change and alter the rules to suit the least common denominator. Really quite sad. I guess "special" hunter is like special ed in schools. How very...ummm...special.

Betsy

PrincessTiggy
Apr. 25, 2001, 01:56 PM
That was vey unkind about the special-ed thing. It is not very polite to make fun of people. Where do u expect people to show after short-stirrup...they can't jump immediatly to the Childrens...thats the CDHJC's logic behind the rule.
Again...DIECTLY FROM THE AHSA RULE BOOK Maiden, Novice, Limit, Intermediate. Maiden, Novice, and Limit classes are open to riders that have not won one/three/six first place ribbons respectively competing in EQUITATION classes at Regular and Local Member Competitions of this Association or the Canadian Equestrian Federation

Sleepy
Apr. 25, 2001, 02:07 PM
but this discussion has gotten nasty and isn't going anywhere, so I will try to play mediator.

PrincessTiggy, what Jumphigh is trying to tell you is that there are novice riders and novice horses.
Novice rider does indeed apply mostly to equitation although I have seen classes for horses to be ridden by a novice rider in local circuits. And a novice horse is just that - 3 wins, you're out, regardless of who's riding. Apparently your association has redefined terms to suit its own purposes, but don't quote the AHSA rules to make your case.

Jumphigh, everyone has to start somewhere and yes, our job should be to help educate them. But don't demean them just because they haven't reached your level yet.

PrincessTiggy
Apr. 25, 2001, 03:10 PM
I'm not ganna waste my time w/ this anymore. I don't even show in specials I was just sticking up for my friends. I just wanted to clarify the rules and instead I was made fun of!! This thread is pointless cuz some people don't accept the facts

Snidgie5
Apr. 25, 2001, 03:17 PM
Definitely NOT flaming you! I just wanted to jump in with this. You are right in the definition of a novice horse/rider. Where the confusion lies is that the division being discussed is not actually novice hunter, it is special hunter. The requirement is that the rider be eligible for novice as of Dec 1 of the current show year.
Like you were agreeing with princesstiggy, this means that even though a rider may have legitimately won out of novice, they can still compete in the two six division for that year. I think this is a nice step because a lot of people make the transition from a pony to a horse in that year. Also, many times one may win out of novice, yet still not be quite ready to take on the three foot division. This does not mean the rider is incapable, just that he/she is taking their time to making the step up. In my opinion it is a wise thing to do in that ensures safety. It is better, and this is my opinion only, that someone spend an extra show or two at a height they are comfortable in, then to move up to quickly and become scared.
This is what the special hunters is for. To get people ready to move up to the three foot.

*Tiggs118*
Apr. 25, 2001, 05:30 PM
Hello, people please read the rule book and u will defintely learn some quality material. I don't think your comments are very necessary for the novice divison. You shouldn't make fun of it either, not everyone is doing the jumpers or big eq. like some are. If you aren't a member, you know who you are because you are rude about it, you shouldn't say anything about the rules until you read it( the rule bk- especially if you are talking about the CD). Not many people appreciate your nasty comments on how Novice is like Sp Ed, because I did it and really hurts mine and others peoples feelings. You should look at what you write before you put it onthe boards.

Jumphigh83
Apr. 25, 2001, 07:07 PM
The Special hunter rule (as far as the CD goes, since no one else has such an animal) restricted an 8 year old from competing a pony in that division becasue she also did the 2 foot childrens hunters. How the heck more "special" do you ahve to be than an 8 year old on a small pony??? THAT is my objection to those super restricted divisions..If no one can compete in them, then it's easy to collect ribbons. For heavens sake go out and buy the ribbons if they are that important. That's all. I think they are myopic and it has NOTHING to do with being elitist, rather parctical, and since when can you do "novice" for a full year after winning three classes? That contrdicts the rule of the AHSA. But consistancey has never been one of the CDs strong suits. Enough of this topic, it really is a futile.

Betsy

Josie
Apr. 26, 2001, 04:30 PM
Jumphigh Think about who you are trying to explain Novice and Special Divisions to. Save your breath Perky still rides in them for Gods sake and what has it been 10 yrs since she started riding. CD perpetuates that level of riding if you think about it. It seems like you see the same faces year after yr in those divisions. When was the last time you remember a Olympic rider coming to the area to give a clinic?? We went and still go anytime there is one being given but do any of the "trainers" from the area go? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Why do you think that is???

Apr. 26, 2001, 07:09 PM
in the AK clinic at that place out in Altamont (BBay) back in 90. I lived in the area until just over a year ago, and was never informed of another clinic by someone of that caliber. Oops, forgot, I wasn't a member...

Just got home from a show, and am not in the right frame of mind to post maturely...

Snidgie5
Apr. 26, 2001, 08:12 PM
How about we drop the argument already? To each his/her own views ok? Let's move on with our lives.

Jumphigh83
Apr. 27, 2001, 06:15 AM
I had Peter Leone and the only people to show besides the ones at MY barn were Leanne and her daughter and Mel. That's it. All the rest were busy getting points in the hopeless hunter divisions.

Betsy

elizabeth
Apr. 27, 2001, 07:48 AM
You had Peter Leone at your barn?? You had Peter Leone at your barn?? Where the FREAK was I????

Apr. 27, 2001, 08:00 AM
but I think I had a problem with hubby being out of town, and small-child arrangements. Besides, I heard about it second-hand... Hmmmmm...lol

Josie
Apr. 27, 2001, 02:00 PM
If I remember correctly when Betsy had Peter to her place she called all the area "pros" and informed them about the clinic. I know there were not any shows going on but like Bets said the only ones to show up were Leann and Mel.

Apr. 27, 2001, 09:20 PM
just not an "important" one.

I was out of the loop, and didn't care, I was showing elsewhere since noone would send me a prizelist (because I wasn't a CDHJC member), and was just busting on Betsy. Don't get yourself in a tizzy Josie!!!

Jumphigh83
Apr. 28, 2001, 07:24 AM
Silly, I STILL don't get prize lists (not a member) and I have 25 horses here! I guess they want to keep the "riff raff" away from the shows!!! LOL...I know Josie...she was reinforcing not grousing! PS Josie..I just heard an eq/jumper I sold is going in the WORKING!!!!!!!! Can you say drapey front end and sewing machine movement??? Just because a horse can jump 4 foot doesn't always mean it should!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Betsy

Linny
Apr. 29, 2001, 06:20 AM
If you have any big events, please post them here. I'm not on any horsey mailing lists locally. I don't have a horse now but I like to sit in on clinics just the same. I assure you, I'd show up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jumphigh83
Apr. 29, 2001, 06:51 AM
Will do Fleetie...Ussually in the fall when the show thing calms down a bit and a busy pro has time to play with us! Will we see you at Scareatoga? I'll be the one riding the firebreathing black dragon with 5 days of training...you can't miss either one of us!

Betsy

Josie
Apr. 29, 2001, 08:10 AM
Jumphigh OMG Can you imagine the judges reaction when he sees this behemoth come in the ring. They have to fill the class somehow I guess??

Linny
Apr. 29, 2001, 08:26 AM
I hope to get up there to see some classes. I have a friend who lives up there who is moving away soon and we are going to try to get together. She's "horsey" so the show looks like a good destination. I have no prize list and have no idea what's going when. I'll look for the behemoth. The horse I ride is a behemoth too, but he's dead quiet (except when bucking). He may be showing, but not wih me.

hifi
Apr. 30, 2001, 10:45 PM
I want to hear more about Tommie Moore and memory lane from the '70s. I am pre-cdhja if you can believe such a prehistoric still exists. DM was on Western Ave., Mill Pond was some western guys place and Triple A was up and running gymcana and C rated show. DM always looked like it was ready to fall down but the best shows in the local area. CF was there with PVG. Alot of great trails, I broke my femur out there. Ah, those were the days!:)

Linny
May. 1, 2001, 06:13 PM
when did you ride there? The old barn at DM was torn down almost ten years ago after standing empty for several years. The land is now topped by a ghastly shopping mall.
DM is now at the old Mill Pond barn. CF has been at Skidmore for a while now.
They did have nice shows back in the day. I remember showing in the big outdoor ring. I was recently remembering the little bank of trees toward the front of the ring. They used to hide 1/2 fences in there. The trees had huge leaves and long "pods" that we used to occasionally use as whips.

elizabeth
May. 1, 2001, 06:55 PM
Josie - are you Lucsious?

elizabeth
May. 1, 2001, 07:23 PM
You know, Josie, if you are NOT Luscious, you are going to wonder what the heck I mean with my prior post, so let me explain: I keep my horse with jumphigh83, so I figure I must know you. Jumphigh83's buddy is Luscious, so I am figuring you are her. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

drambuie
May. 1, 2001, 08:09 PM
Elizabeth, can you imagine if Josie was not Lucsious, what she would be thinking about you!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Anyhow, if you have any questions to Mrs. Josie's alter-identity, check out the St. Clements thread. Later!!

elizabeth
May. 1, 2001, 09:33 PM
suz, i take it from your post that she IS Luscious - right??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Josie
May. 2, 2001, 03:23 PM
Ah Elizabeth so you have guessed who Iam !! Saw ole Buster the other day. He looked sound!!! Going up to see Bets tomorrow at St Clements Its really hot here I cant stand the heat but Betsy loves it so she must be in her glory UGH

drambuie
May. 2, 2001, 07:41 PM
Poor Josie! Busted again!! BTW, Elizabeth, your horse is doing just fine. He gets his carrots every night when Trix does. He pokes his nose through the bars when he hears Trix neighing for hers, and I'm such a sucker.....

Jumphigh83
May. 4, 2001, 07:59 AM
AHHHHHH...90 degrees! But the party will soon be over! Back to the real world (temp wise) tomorrow....Luscious/Josie, eat your heart out!

Betsy

hifi
May. 4, 2001, 11:13 AM
Fleetie
I was there from 1972-1980. I rode with PVG but when I got a horse, there were no stalls available so, unfortunatly for me, I ended up at Triple A which you knew wasn't quite the english show barn i would have liked. Now that I look back, I wish I stayed at DM. Any how those were the days of Usher's HAW and DK and Connie Culkins, boy the memories keep flooding in if anyone would like to hash over those old times I'd love it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lexus
May. 4, 2001, 11:47 AM
through the CDH/JC posts. I rode there in the late 70's also. I grew up in Saratoga Springs, kept my horses at my families small farm or Skidmore College Stables in the winter. We would van down to DM for lessons. I was doing Medal/Maclay back then. We couldn't wait for the bigger shows in the spring so we could stay in hotels w/o parents and run loose for a couple of days. I think we gave CS (who was at Skidmore at the time) a few scares. We would drive to Rochester to High View and the Young's farm to look at horses. I have good memories, but I was too young to really understand the politics until my final junior year. I just got really burnt out on it by then.

Linny
May. 4, 2001, 01:51 PM
I was riding at DM during that time, mostly in lessons. It is still tough to get stalls there. They are always full. The location is good, easy access, and the care is good. In my teens ('77 to '81) I rode with PVG in his Sat. 8am hangover lesson. Either of you ride in that group? Those were the days.
Who were your favorite horses? Anyone remember any of these: Shalimar, Sesame, Chalkie, or further back, Fat Albert, Darby, Jomi, Caz?

Linny
May. 7, 2001, 02:04 PM
Jumphigh, I saw Billy go on Sunday and was SO impressed. What a great trip. I love the horse! I couldn't stay for the whole day and missed the end of the Cup. That triple was murder. I watched most of the trips from the front corner by the gift shop and had a good view of how light a rub took down the back bar of part B.

pinkhorse
May. 7, 2001, 04:51 PM
Would someone please let us know who won the cup? I had to leave after about the 4th clean round. Loved that little brown stallion that, I think, the woman who went first (on an adorable little chestnut) rode - I believe she was riding 4 horses in the class....

Linny
May. 7, 2001, 04:55 PM
I wish I knew. I saw 20 trips. Only 3 had gone clear when I left.

May. 7, 2001, 04:58 PM
I love that mare!!!

Wish I could have been there(not), but my husband abducted me for the weekend--birthday present.

Actually, I would like to go there if I had a jumper ready to do the big-stuff, but alas, I only have greenies....

laurie
May. 7, 2001, 08:07 PM
I was at DM in the 70's, I remember all the old times, did I know you?

Lexus
May. 8, 2001, 03:50 AM
I rode in the medal/maclay, Jr. Hunters...Horses name was Hi Falutin.

laurie
May. 8, 2001, 09:14 AM
I remember you and HiFaultin, do you remember Fox Chapel, he was my horse

laurie
May. 8, 2001, 09:25 AM
I remember you and Hi Faultin, I rode Fox Chapel in the hunters and occassionally equitation

Lexus
May. 8, 2001, 11:42 AM
of course I'm not very good with names. What did your horse look like?

laurie
May. 8, 2001, 04:11 PM
He was a very large chestnut, 16.3 four white socks, white blaze, was a confirmation hunter

Lexus
May. 9, 2001, 05:58 AM
Since I just started riding again I've been thinking alot about my past riding, what went well, the goals I achieved and where I want to go now. I talked to my mother the other day (told her about some of the things in this thread) and all of a sudden we were remembering lots of horses and people I hadn't thought about in years. I can tell you I had a great time as a junior rider but feel that because of financial limitations I never truly reached my potential. As a young adult I still had financial limitations but was able to achieve most of my goals. Now, I've got more money to spend but need to balance it against my children's activities. Luckily it looks like my daughter may be the next rider in the family

Linny
May. 9, 2001, 02:38 PM
I too just came back after a fairly long absence. I am so happy to be riding again but feel like my leg will never tighten up again. Are you still in the Capital District?

Lexus
May. 10, 2001, 09:46 AM
in the Capital District. I moved to Western NY for college and stayed here. I grew up in Saratoga, my mom still has a house there so I'm in the area often.

Jumphigh83
May. 14, 2001, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words about Billy! He rode Byrnadette (MR's pony arab) Big (til she felt the floor ***HARD*** and we skipped week two) and Irish (fastest horse in skin) Big is SOOO happy to be in the ring "playing" again!
Jenni Martin won the first week and Issabelle and her speed ball black horse won the second week...
I need to vent about an "incident" in the schooling area before the NAL childrens jumper when a local individual beat the sh*t out of the kids horse...so badly the horse wouldn;t go into the SCHOOLING area!!! The "pro" got on and she too fell off when the mare slammed on the brakes with her!!! They finished the "schooling" in the hnter area ... the kid fell off (jumping a 4'3" square oxer, to prepare for the CHILDRENS ) the poor kid is barely on there, he should be focusing on the BASICS like heels down, sit up, instead of having to face a mountain!!! The horse was scared to death..it had "E" "R" clipped into it's butt..I think it stands for emergency room!!! I felt SOO bad for the horse and the kid.....the stewards should have stopped this debacle...What were they thinking!!???? Such a nice horse...such a stupid "training" situation!!!! Why would the parents let this go on?? Even if they don't care about the horse, what about the kid???? More classy local action at the horse show.

Betsy

Snidgie5
May. 14, 2001, 09:33 AM
but I saw the horse in the ring, and the kid was punishing the horse because it stopped. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the horse stopped to save the kid's butt, not to be bad. I'm with you on this one.

Jumphigh83
May. 14, 2001, 12:31 PM
Finally common ground!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
A friend of mine tried to see "if" the horse might be for sale (great horse...horrible situation) and was told that "no..they want to keep her and use her as a lesson horse once they are "done" with her..." whatever that means?? Such a shame. The scene they put on was one for the record books...even for that crew!

Betsy

Linny
May. 15, 2001, 07:49 AM
I'm glad I missed that mess. I saw some of the show but since I had the toddler, Istayed away from the schooling area. Sounds like it was a smart move. That sort of scene is pathetic and jeopardizes the reputation of the whole local horse community. The sad thing is that they seem to want to keep this poor horse, in order to do her further damage. Why can't people just put these kids on appropriate mounts??!! It's not like these explosions make them look good. Do they think they are exhibiting "mastery" of the horse?
The irony is that I've been back to riding for a year and have not shown because I dont think I'm good enough. I was pretty good in my day and won some ribbons at nice shows. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The last thing I want is to go to (evn a small) show and look foolish. Maybe its because I've gotten sensible in my old age.

Jumphigh83
May. 15, 2001, 09:11 AM
Trust me Fleetie, If the aforementioned contingent keeps acting true to form, you would have to ride naked with a pink wig on to embarass yourself worse than they do! It is sad for the horse, the kid and the industry. The kid needs to do some equitation and learn how to SIT DOWN and put his heels down..then the rest will come. To punish the horse for the sins of the rider is UNFORGIVABLE. Period. And the mother of same is TEACHING kids!!!!!! Ghastley! I guess water seeks it's own level. ( PS Snig...that's the one I was talking about as a perpetual novice hunter..not the one you thought I was talking about...she went from novice queen to RIDING TEACHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhh hhhhh!!!!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Betsy

Snidgie5
May. 15, 2001, 09:23 AM
seems to be a problem I have sometimes. I now understand what you were talking about Betsy. I apologize. A side note, the same person scolded an adult from my barn for "touching the fruit in the fruit platter" and said she should be ashamed. All my adult friend was doing was picking up a small bunch of grapes by the stem. GOtta love those types I guess. But in defense of the CDHJC, those types exist in every area, and most knowledgable horsepeople should not hold the select few against the entire area. Hopefully they don't! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hifi
May. 15, 2001, 09:23 AM
I remember you guys. Laurie, you had a wonderful chestnut gelding who I think kicked in the hacks but he was very nice looking. Csell, you had a wonderful very dark bay with white socks named Hi Falutin, I remember you used to show with Laura Lively and always did well, Laurie did well too. What ever happened to you guys? I myself never had a really nice horse to ride and did the jumpers local out of Dan Kelly/Ushers-Hide a Way. If that isn't a blast from the past. I started to ride at DM in the eary 70's in group beginner lessons. I haven't been in touch with too many people, hint hint Jumpinghigh rarely emails me anymore, but I'd love to catch up on old times!

laurie
May. 15, 2001, 05:59 PM
I must know you, but you have to give me a hint. You said you wanted to know more about Tommy M. on an earlier post, both of us are asking ourselves, who are you, who did you ride, etc..?

Linny
May. 15, 2001, 06:30 PM
Hey Jumphigh, who told you about my "naked with a pink wig" riding!!??? I gave that up when I was pregnant.

Lexus
May. 16, 2001, 03:44 PM
I think I remember laurie now-the chestnut kicking in the hacks seems to jog something in the memory bank.

I ended up going to college in Rochester and never left (not sure why I never left?!). I tried eventing briefly after college but it wasn't my thing so I went back to the hunters. Took 7 years off to have two babies, now I'm just getting back into it. I'm finding my perspective is different now that I have kids...life doesn't revolve solely around a horse, but I still love to ride.

hifi
May. 17, 2001, 02:02 PM
I rode at Usher's Hide a way in the Jumpers, River Witch. Big black mare. Rode with DK and RU. Friends with Laura G. Tommie should remember me, I used to pick him up on the way to the barn. Moved away in '78 and went to college, etc.

Gnarly
May. 17, 2001, 02:19 PM
Who has the PHA mailing address? I lost it and would like to send something to the George Paterson fund.
THANKS /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MHM
May. 17, 2001, 04:24 PM
At the calling hours, they had envelopes with the following address:

PHA of America
c/o Hedda Von Goeben
23 Juniper Meadow Road
Washington Depot, CT 06794

Gnarly
May. 18, 2001, 06:24 AM
THANKS for the information!