PDA

View Full Version : Army Worms = Hay Panic

FlashGordon
Jun. 6, 2012, 10:53 PM
Apparently we have some crazy worm up here that is literally destroying hay crops.

What the hell is this thing and how do you get rid of it? People up here are starting to panic as it seems to be spreading fast.

The barn where I board produces a LOT of hay and supplies many other horse farms in the area.... all but one of their fields is ruined. :no:

Sugarbrook
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:00 PM
I dont know where you live, but In Florida we have army worms. Normally they do not come until later, like august. they can destroy a pasture in a few hours. The minute we think they are coming to us we call and have the pasture sprayed. Its an emergency. The people who spray for us know and come ASAP.
Any person who grows hay should know army worms and realize how to treat them. they are not unusual or abnormal. Just come!!!

Tamara in TN
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:14 PM
Apparently we have some crazy worm up here that is literally destroying hay crops.

What the hell is this thing and how do you get rid of it? People up here are starting to panic as it seems to be spreading fast.

The barn where I board produces a LOT of hay and supplies many other horse farms in the area.... all but one of their fields is ruined. :no:

yep...they are nasty
http://extension.missouri.edu/webster/webster/agric/armyworms-field.html

Tamara

FlashGordon
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the link, Tamara.

We are in Western NY. The last bout of these was in the 70's apparently, so I guess we've been lucky in not having to deal with them regularly.

I know our barn has tried some sort of pesticide but it didn't do much.

msj
Jun. 7, 2012, 09:12 AM
Flash, I hope your farmer can get them under control. I hadn't heard anything about them where I am and I'm not that far from you. :eek:

I talked to my hay supplier last wk and he hadn't started cutting yet as he was just finished with planting. Now the rains have come and I'm not sure when he'll get into the fields to cut. We just had another thunderstorm yesterday during the day and the evening. :( I'm not too worried right now as I've still got about 100 bales from last year, and the rate my horses aren't eating it, that will last me all summer. :rolleyes: Through the winter I go through about 1.75 to 2 bales/day and now I'm using 4-5 flakes/day or less than 1/2 a bale/day.

Bluey
Jun. 7, 2012, 09:23 AM
We had the worst spring for moths anyone ever saw, by 10X.
Those are the ones that lay the eggs that become army worms.

We are expecting a very bad year, a veritable carpet of army worms when they come out later.
We can't spray much, too many acres, not enough ground sprayers and crop planes to handle the job.

JanM
Jun. 7, 2012, 12:54 PM
You need a professional exterminator that will do a one-time application to get rid of Army Worms. They need a special concoction, and regular pesticides don't work on them.

Tamara in TN
Jun. 7, 2012, 12:58 PM
http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/fieldcrops/forages/events/SHC12/05%20Problem%20Insects%20and%20What%20to%20Do%20Ab out%20Them/Caterpillar%20Pests%20in%20Pastures%20and%20Hay.pd f

Tamara

JmpR_1
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:03 PM
Those are the worst. 2 springs ago, we got invaded. If you looked out at the pasture, it was like looking at grass swaying. Still gives me the creeps! Anyway, I hope you can get ride of them fast! They destroyed my pastures within hours.

Christa P
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:25 PM
Saw this on the news last night and it does have me worried.

How fast do they spread - my hay supplier is ~20 - 25 miles south of the infestation and I am ~20 miles south of that. There are also hay fields all over around me as it is a BIG dairy region.

Christa

FlashGordon
Jun. 7, 2012, 03:34 PM
Christa, apparently they move fast. :( She said you could literally see them crawling across the road. I guess Akron, Newstead, Clarence, Pendleton, Lockport, Elma and Marilla have all got it. People are starting to get a little tweaked about it!

Christa P
Jun. 7, 2012, 03:53 PM
Yikes, my hay supplier is in South Wales/ Southern East Aurora area and I'm outside of Arcade in cow country:eek:.

I hope he gets the hay cut before they move much further south.

Christa

Tamara in TN
Jun. 7, 2012, 03:56 PM
Christa, apparently they move fast. :( She said you could literally see them crawling across the road. I guess Akron, Newstead, Clarence, Pendleton, Lockport, Elma and Marilla have all got it. People are starting to get a little tweaked about it!

the bugs that are killing the plants now were laid last fall....they are not moving...just hatching

concerned farmers should be spraying NOW before the things get any bigger

Tamara

kalidascope
Jun. 7, 2012, 05:37 PM
Oh wow ... GROSS! So glad we don't have those here.

I had these horrible visions of some mutant worm that wriggles around above-ground from the name armyworm ... but they're actually caterpillars :lol:.

Hope your hay is okay :(.

msj
Jun. 7, 2012, 10:02 PM
Our local evening news cast (channel 13 ABC) had a brief story about them. It seems they have reached the Rochester area, Hilton at least, NW of the city. They showed a picture and, yes, they were eating the grass in someones yard BUT not a dandylion!!! The buggers are selective and leaving the weeds. The least they could do was eat the weeds too. :eek:

goldenrow
Jun. 8, 2012, 02:37 PM
Out here in the midwest, I see Armyworms every year. We are lucky if we only get one hatch a year. Second generation - which you may be facing in the near future, if they have already arrived - can be even worse. We have had entire corn fields demolished between the time was scouted, a work order was made, and the applicator arrived. This was a case where there were Army worms in a hay field next door, the grower quickly cut the hay (even though it was not ready for harvest - but cut it to preserve the future stand of the field), and the army worms crossed the road in masses, to the corn field.

These were "Fall Armyworms" (unfortunately they arrive long before fall). There are different species, such as fall, beet armyworms, western yellow stripe, etc.

Using a pesticide at your local hardware store will not have much of an effect on these guys. If you come across what you think may be an armyworm, I highly suggest calling an agronomist (Extension, Co-op, or private agronomy retailer) to come check them out. The insecticides needed to kill armyworm infestations are "Restricted Use Pesticides" (RUP), and will require a licensed applicator that has undergone training and testing in the safe use and application of these chemicals.

The good news, is that we do have products with harvest intervals as low as 0 days on alfalfa, which means that if caught soon enough, there may still be a healthy crop to harvest.

goldenrow
Jun. 8, 2012, 02:41 PM
And by the way - there is major shortage of insecticides used to kill armyworms, coming in the agronomy industry. Because of the mild mid-west winter, the pests hatched early, and are now bigger and stronger - and HUNGRIER - than ever! If you are in an area that has a history - book your insecticides with your co-op/retailer NOW. They may be sold out by the second generation at the end of June!

Underthebridge
Jun. 8, 2012, 03:01 PM
I am in Texas and have army worms constantly, sevin liquid kills very fast, My hay producer at one time told me it was completely harmless for the horses, I think not.

For me, army worms is the least of my problems, but just as I was ready to sell my place I see this video on CNN on locusts in California.

Where can I move?

About the worms, look for yellow spots and feasting birds.

Tamara in TN
Jun. 8, 2012, 03:05 PM
We have had entire corn fields demolished between the time was scouted, a work order was made, and the applicator arrived. The insecticides needed to kill armyworm infestations are "Restricted Use Pesticides" (RUP), and will require a licensed applicator that has undergone training and testing in the safe use and application of these chemicals.

yep which is why we keep our own license...it's 9 videos, three short tests and $40 bucks...only the record keeping is obnoxious:lol:

Tamara

goldenrow
Jun. 8, 2012, 03:19 PM
yep which is why we keep our own license...it's 9 videos, three short tests and $40 bucks...only the record keeping is obnoxious:lol:

Tamara

Me too. :) I am required to have my commercial license for work. My husband refers to it as my "License to Kill."

Tamara in TN
Jun. 8, 2012, 03:52 PM
Me too. :) I am required to have my commercial license for work. My husband refers to it as my "License to Kill."

:lol::lol::lol::lol: