PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my tack/feed room and need help

Charliezmom
Jun. 6, 2012, 07:26 PM
I have a 10x16 insulated shed that I re-purposed as my feed/tack room until we figure out what kind of barn to put up. The shed exterior has rotted (they used particle board, bad idea) and there is a roof leak. Needless to say, the shed flooded in a heavy storm recently and needs to be rebuilt. I'm going to use either exterior grade plywood or a composite on the exterior. But I'm at a loss for what to put on the interior. It currently has drywall but that seems a little odd for a shed and isn't ideal for hanging bridle hooks, saddle racks, etc. What kind of interior walls do your tack/feed rooms have?

seabreeze
Jun. 6, 2012, 07:56 PM
I keep my tack on one side of one of these sheds, but mine is not insulated. It is not finished on the interior (studs exposed), and I have put up a couple of 5/4" x 6" decking boards (two rows, about 6' in length each, one about 3' high, the other 6' high) to hang my bridle hooks. For my saddle racks (4 of them stacked), I measured four 2" x 8" board segments to place between two studs.

Since your shed is insulated and you have to keep the drywall up over the insulation, could you screw board segments (as described above) over the drywall into the studs to use as anchors for what you need to hang?

Good luck!

Incantation
Jun. 7, 2012, 08:49 AM
When I get my tack/feed room insulated, I am using plywood for the inside walls.

Alagirl
Jun. 7, 2012, 09:02 AM
If you have o redo the drywall, replace it with plywood.
if you don't have to rip it out, the boards would probably be an economical way to add the tack hooks.
(liquid nails - construction adhesive - gives nice added strength to anything you put up)

Charliezmom
Jun. 7, 2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys. It looks like I'll be going with plywood then. Unfortunately I will need to gut the shed due to the water damage and we had an issue with mice living in the walls so its probably better to take it down to the studs and start fresh. Now, I just need to convince the hubby to help me rebuild it. :)