PDA

View Full Version : Baby Greenie Support Group now open: Share Your Pain!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Merry
Jul. 19, 2001, 04:58 PM
"My name is Merry. And I have a Baby Greenie." /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?

For mine, I'd wish that he didn't lose his focus at the most inopportune times. Ugh! Like when I'm doing really well in my eq. flat class, we reverse at the walk, and gee, suddenly he notices the pony on the hillside. Or hunger pangs strike and he reaches for the rosemary bush right in front of the judge's booth... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

What would you change with a wave of your magic wand? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"

Merry
Jul. 19, 2001, 04:58 PM

If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?

For mine, I'd wish that he didn't lose his focus at the most inopportune times. Ugh! Like when I'm doing really well in my eq. flat class, we reverse at the walk, and gee, suddenly he notices the pony on the hillside. Or hunger pangs strike and he reaches for the rosemary bush right in front of the judge's booth... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

What would you change with a wave of your magic wand? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

hobson
Jul. 19, 2001, 05:39 PM
I wish mine would knock it off with that fourth longe-line gait: the buckrearbuckrearbuckrear when he is challenged to work (i.e.canter).

LittleWitch
Jul. 19, 2001, 05:54 PM
I wish for a new and improved work ethic and a longer attention span.

You mean I have to jump another fence? I just jumped 3 in a row, without taking a break. I think it is time for a snack.

*Wave magic wand* Now we can make it through the entire course at a show, instead of just the first half.

Applesauce
Jul. 19, 2001, 06:12 PM
*waving magic want over Caleb's head*

Yes, you CAN swap leads in the rear when you are asked to do so in front too!! Cross cantering is a BAD thing!

Oh yes, and the little bucks after he clears a jump that impresses him telling me how much fun he's having and just how proud of himself he really is! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

~Courtney~

Justice
Jul. 19, 2001, 06:19 PM
I'll get down on my knees and pray. Grovel. Anything. Please, please fairy godmother, let Justice understand flying changes.

I don't know who gets more frustrated - him or me! /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

LaurieB
Jul. 19, 2001, 06:33 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I probably would have had lots of answers but then I took my mare to two shows back-to-back and it was as though the lightbulb blinked on. She finally got it. All of it, every bit of it...says the proud mother /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Her favorite thing? Finally getting promoted to doing the strides rather than the adds, which involved a serious "wheeee!" response on her part. (The picture illustrates our joint enthusiasm. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

sugarbr
Jul. 19, 2001, 06:37 PM
hello my name is sugarbr and my daughter has a baby greenie..yes it is so much better to say it out loud How about not bucking in the turns or over jumping the fences three feet and and oh for that wand!!! here is a pic of our boy doing baby greens

DarkerHorse
Jul. 19, 2001, 06:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merry:

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL my babygreen horse is perfect. I did one show in babygreen, another in childrens jumper, and i did the modified class at my trainers schooling show. Like the modified class was super much lower than a real show, but they had a few 4' jumps and he just loped over them, LOL.

-----
http://www.catchride.com

jumpsalot
Jul. 19, 2001, 06:54 PM
I will wave wand, wiggle my nose, shake my ponytail, whatever...
Lio went to Culpeper, and after earning a trip to longeland, was pretty good.Our big issue was oncoming traffic. I guess his antics were scary looking. They don't feel scary,though. I got a couple of evil glares when he decided to act like a buffoon when traffic scared him. Sorry about my child's behavior.He did go great in the ticketed warmups, though! AND fell asleep on a hand walk(while mom stopped to chat) standing by the big schooling area. I guess I was talking too long. OOPS!
I would do above antics(wand, nose, ponytail) also to make the other baby greenie actually go TO the jumps. I had never had THAT happen. SOOOOO embarrassing!

Canter
Jul. 19, 2001, 07:08 PM
I have so been there before. It's three steps forward and 12 steps back.

"Sudden explosive bucks that come without warning. Trying to jump the sunlight in the indoor arena. Coming to a dead stop and refusing to move forward."

But I love the greenies anyway /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chanda
Jul. 19, 2001, 07:13 PM
LaurieB, are those grapevines in the back of that picture?? Where are you???

My horse isn't a baby but he is still kind of green. I would love to use the magic wand on Chase's flying changes. He gets frustrated and gives up if he doesn't get them right away. I might take away a bit of that studdish dominance too!!

[This message was edited by Chanda on Jul. 20, 2001 at 10:34 AM.]

Catwoman
Jul. 19, 2001, 07:14 PM
"I wish that she would be a little more clear in all those things she's telling me to do. I try to listen, but get so confused--and then someone drives in with a dog in the back of a pickup--I really don't like dogs, and I can't figure out why she doesn't think we should be really concerned about what that dog might do to us. And do circles without falling on my inside shoulder? What's that about? I could fall down! And we haven't been to a show yet--what is that anyway? Sounds like a heart-stopping experience." That's Jake speaking--We only started riding him this summer, and he already takes care of me. My horse is a punk, but he is so cool.

Lord Helpus
Jul. 19, 2001, 07:48 PM
Oh, what a lovely magic wand.....

For Warren: I choose to change his terror of the warm up area. I also put in a fervent wish that each step be in front of the prior step. I am getting too old for these 180's.

For Kimmie: I choose to change a deformed bulge on the right side (but only when we go past the dreaded sand pile).

For Mikey: I choose to change the variation in speed of the canter. How nice it will be when each canter stride bears some resemblance to the stride before and after.

I have some other requests, fairy godmother, but these will do for right now. Thank you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dana
Jul. 19, 2001, 07:53 PM
I can totally understand your pain. A few years ago, I had this awesome QH gelding. Jumps were great, but he just couldn't get the stinking lead changes through his head. I was on my last straw at a QH show, and asked a trainer friend of mine to climb on him. Have I missed something? What's the problem? Well, Brian got on him and another trainer friend was riding out there (multiple World Champ western riding trainer) and, between the two of them and about an hour and a half later, Corey had perfect lead changes both ways and never missed another one! LOL

Keep plugging away, Justice. It'll eventually be there.

Here's a pic of Corey with the hunter trainer I used then doing the 3' at his first show.

Bopper
Jul. 19, 2001, 08:06 PM
I would wave my magic wand and my baby green would have an attention span that lasted more than 2 minutes. Every time someone walks anywhere near the arena he has to watch every move they make. He will get so into watching other activities he will trip and almost fall down.

But seriously he had a previous owner that was a little rough with him and I would love to erase those memories permanently.

horsecrazy
Jul. 19, 2001, 08:11 PM
I would wish for my horse to understand the concept of going FORWARD! He's such a slug and sooo behind my leg that its quite frustrating. Oh, and if I use too much of my spurs and/or seat, he'll buck like I've never seen a horse buck before /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

This was the scene during one of the first lessons with this horse and my trainer...

Trainer: He's not going forward - KILL HIM!!!
Me: (taking crop and using it about 10 times like I really mean it - hard!)
Horse: la da dee, la da da
Trainer: (jaw dropping) Its like it doesn't even PHASE him?!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I would also wish for him to overcome his A.D.D.

Merry
Jul. 19, 2001, 09:36 PM
And now, let's all join hands, and bow our heads in a moment of silence as we recall all of these past embarrassments, those glorious moments when we sighed to ourselves, "Well, that just cost me $25." /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes, we've cleared warm-up arenas. We've uttered curse words that've made our mothers blush. We've apologized to our trainers, who seem to act like they don't want to be seen with us. We chase them down with whiney voices saying, "I don't know why he's acting like this. He's really good at home!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

And yes, we've been on course and felt our eyes drifting downward as those front hooves hit the ground. What is that prayer we utter under our breath? "Oh please God, make him land on the correct lead..." Ah, this is the life of the members of the Baby Greenie Support Group. We are women. We are amateurs. We ride our babies. We are mildly insane... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Me First
Jul. 19, 2001, 10:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "Sudden explosive bucks that come without warning. Trying to jump the sunlight in the indoor arena. Coming to a dead stop and refusing to move forward." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is my horse, exactly! he's not a baby by definition (he is a 9 year old pre-) but he is in spirit. it takes my 1/2 inch spurs and a dressage whip to keep him going, but when he decides that he is up, he lets out gigatic bucks (breaking my humeris and displacing it 30%). but i think i might need a 12-step program rather than a support group at this point.

CdnRider
Jul. 19, 2001, 11:02 PM
Bravery please!!

He looks at ever single jump first time in the ring. And if it's scarey enough he'll drop his back into this humongously large racing standardbred trot. And if it's even scarier he'll go from side to side by dropping his shoulder......Second time in the ring he's a super star. At a schooling show in May we had a godawful first round and the second round he placed first..

Unfortunately I event and you only get one crack at it. Mileage will hopefully go a long way.

dcm
Jul. 19, 2001, 11:21 PM
"If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?"

That we didn't have a reason to nickname him "Dopey". That he would not scare himself so much, and that my dtr would not have to jump up and down in front of him waving her hands in his face and shouting "Booga booga booga!" when he gets into his "Dopey" moods. Silly, but after a couple of times it settles him down. He's usually a smart guy and he'll realize what an idiot he is being.

Otherwise, he's near perfect - could be a little bolder, but hey, he's a hunter and he's quiet, mellow, has a giant stride for such a shortie (16.0hh & can do a 3 in 2 and you want to see it again because it really looked like 3), and he has square knees when he jumps. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

On a side note, can you believe my kid is currently begging me for a second greenie? And a 3 yr old at that! At least Rio was ridable even if he did not know how to canter last fall.

JRG
Jul. 20, 2001, 02:26 AM
Well it is so nice to see I am in good company.

I would like to add mine to the list that needs the wand.

I would wish for consistancy- One day the most wonderful horse on the planet, the next day "sYque" he is jerk that you were riding 8 months ago.

I wish that the bug that lands on his chest 3strides before a jump would become a none issue. "I can't get it off.....aaaahhhh"

I wish that his attention would focas on the jump the WHOLE time we are jumping it.

These are just a few but, but you all know what I am talking about.

lisa
Jul. 20, 2001, 05:07 AM
I, too, wish for consistency...

When he's good, he's very, very good...
When he's bad, it's like he has completely forgotten what his job is supposed to be.

I have to say, though, he's good 80% of the time now. So we're gettin' there... Whew!

Gayle
Jul. 20, 2001, 05:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would wish for her to have a longer attention span. No you don't need to change the way you spook at the same old trash can by the ring at home. Gee, today it is only to the right at a trot. Tomorrow it is only to the left at a canter. Next week? Hmmm, every direction at every gate. Makes the ride more interesting for her. Never mind that she has seen it no less than a trillion times.

As long as we are dreaming how about: yes you can go around collected, moving forward, and on the bit without snarking about it.

Newest Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group (but slowly growing out and graduating!)

barngirl
Jul. 20, 2001, 05:30 AM
Great topic
Some many things to change...
Most obvious... leaving out strides down lines.... Yes Mickey i know you can go the four in three.. the six in five or sometimes four!!! but the judge ( and my trainer and ME!!) are not at all impressed.
Being a spook!!!! the judges stand does not mysterious disappear and re-appear at the same spot. You can use your corners. and no it does not mean fall to pieces in the flat class when the judge asks us to reverse!!!!
He use to buck, only got me off once... he would actually pause and let me reposition before bucking some more... They seemed to be quite ridable, but I was told they were quite spectacular with sometime 3ft of ground clearance. its is never good when i hear my trainer go..." oh my...." and " okay just hold on....".
I am hoping that the new saddle will help with a lot of problems we were having... i found out that my old saddle was sitting off to the left severly, which accounted for a lot of his behaviours and ring issues.

Can't remember who mentioned that they took their baby green to two shows back to back , but I did the same thing...actually three ( the first two weeks were one day schooling shows) by the time we rolled into the third show a two day "C"... he was much calmer at least about the show grounds. By Sunday he even managed to behave enough to help me win a Inter. Adult EQ flat class and got fourth in the same over fences. He still is a spook, but I think he finally figured out he wasn't going to die!!! If you can do it is worth it... don't have to ride thier legs off just get them out!!!
Good luck everyone!!!

Midge
Jul. 20, 2001, 05:49 AM
While Midge is not a baby at ten years, she is green in her non-racing career.

I know you spent six years learning to lean on the bridle, but could we stop doing it now?

Could we not bulge quite so hard to the left?

LaurieB
Jul. 20, 2001, 06:08 AM
Of course you would recognize that! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Many of the horse shows near Atlanta are held at a resort and vineyard named Chateau Elan. The setting is just gorgeous and it's always a pleasure to ride there.

Here's another look. This is one of the warm-up rings.

[This message was edited by LaurieB on Jul. 20, 2001 at 09:23 AM.]

BustersMom
Jul. 20, 2001, 07:08 AM
I have been watching Merry's closing and wondered how I could become a member of the Baby Greenie Clique. Guess this is my chance.

My daughter moved from her ever dependable pony to a baby greenie this year. We have been taking it really slowly and things were progressing nicely until about a month ago. Then all heck broke loose. Suddenly we are having panic attacks in the show ring. We did the ticketed warmups very nicely. We hacked in the show ring the morning of the show at Culpeper with no incident. We warmed up for the class with only the usual apprehension.
We got to the gate....and that is as far as we got. Stage fright? We never even got a chance to have a bad fence. We didn't even get there. We did make a nice hunter circle in one class. That was an expensive circle.

As Jumpsalot said, very EMBARASSING. Believe me if he had been behaving that way at home we would never have put him on the trailer much less spent all my vacation funds. We are now back home and back to the drawing board. Can't find physical problems but we are giving him a week off just in case then we are going to have some attitude adjustment lessons.

I know that this is what we are callin our transition year but I didn't anticipate all this. It is somewhat comforting to me to see that we aren't the only ones with Greenis issues. Thanks for letting me vent.

headsup
Jul. 20, 2001, 07:24 AM
Do I get any sympathy if I have a barn full of greenies? Jumpsalot...I feel your pain /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chanda
Jul. 20, 2001, 07:51 AM
Wow LaurieB, that is beautiful! I live, work and keep my horse on our vineyard. I have some great pics of my horse with the vines in the background. It is fun to see others too!!

Do they let you ride around the vineyard at the show?? That is my horses favorite thing to do. He really wants to go up and down the rows but I am a bit paranoid about all of the wire and if he spooked and got tangled up in it. We just stick to around the outside.

Here is a shot of my horse in front of out Pinot Noir early in the season when the vines were just getting going.

jumpsalot
Jul. 20, 2001, 08:32 AM
Boy is it nice to have a support group. I was beginning to wonder if I was doing something TERRIBLY wrong! It had been 5 years since I had ridden a tota baby- starting from scratch. My old "baby" was doing the regular working & Large junior, with an occasional foray into Prelim Land. I FORGOT what babies were like!!!!!!Amazing how time can erase the pain & suffering(like childbirth?)
Well , as Buster's Mom said, it can be downright frustrating when all is going GREAT & suddenly, braincramps.
For those at Culpeper, 2nd week, if you saw a chestnut with a lot of chrome that was scaring women & small children the first few days, that was Lio- I apologize for the inappropriate behavior. He promised on that Friday that it would not happen again & begs forgiveness. He was super after that(or am I in denial?)
The other one- well- I am going to try dangling a carrot from my fishing pole- just in front of him. Do you think they will count off if it is legal length-?48 inches - I believe- I guess I will have to use a baby carrot for the total length to stay under 48"
Thank you for the space & place to vent & be supported in my total confusion & (at times) misery
Jumpsalot & Lio
Charter members of the BGSG

Merry
Jul. 20, 2001, 08:54 AM
Wow, the photos that've been posted are lovely! At least we can all agree: our babies are beautiful! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Oh dear, poor Busters Mom: We so, so deeply feel your pain! Your incident recalls the former spotted Wonder Mare I bred/raised/owned. She did exactly the same thing in her baby green years. It's a fear of leaving the herd and going into the arena alone. True, you can force the issue, but it gets really ugly! Our solution: we went to a half-dozen teeny shows where my sister went into the arena ON ANOTHER HORSE and sat there whilst I schooled over the fences. Talk about making a fool out of oneself! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif But it worked and that mare went on to be an awesome jumper! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Pocket Pony
Jul. 20, 2001, 09:12 AM
I wish that Mickey's head would not go straight up into the air when he goes into his baby green classes. He looks like a giraffe and it is quite unattractive. I wish that he wouldn't wiggle and zig-zag down the line, trying to figure out how to get out of jumping over those scary flowers and shrubbery.

But I must give him kudos - he doesn't do anything bad in our classes...so far no bucking, spooking, scooting, stopping. Other than his giraffe-neck, he's quite the gentleman!

(i'm knoocking on wood as I type this)

"Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!"

BustersMom
Jul. 20, 2001, 10:30 AM
Merry, I am so glad to see that the plan we have in mind worked for you. We are going to go to a couple of real small local shows in August to try to get over this ring anxiety thing. Jumpsalot will ride over fences to provide "strong encouragement" and my child will do the flat for now. No need to rattle the green horse with a green child. Or rattle a green child with a green horse. We also have access to a real packer which will give my child some needed confidence. I will keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks so much for the support. It is SO nice to know we aren't alone!!

Justice
Jul. 20, 2001, 11:50 AM
I've often wondered if a QH trainer could help, because the general explanation as to why he can't get the leads consistently is that he is built to go long and low like a finished hunter, and he is not elevated in front enough to get the changes (yes - I ride him in an elevator). Since he is built like a QH, maybe they would have more success! I wonder what miracle man would think of Justice spending some time at western camp? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

He'd probably have a coronary! But if it meant he learned the leads - hey - it's okay by me. Any recommendations in Southern Cal?

K&BHunter
Jul. 20, 2001, 11:56 AM
I wish that frank would go around like he was sober instead of weaving like he just had 4 beers.

*KB Passion*
*KB Love Affair*
*KB Incognito*
*KB Eternity*
*KB Time and time again*
And the Oh so wonderful
*** KB In Heaven ***

FirstCry
Jul. 20, 2001, 12:33 PM
Oh magic wand, I wish for all of the above on the greenie I am riding. Attention span is a big issue and no Stanley you do not have to answer EVERY winny you here. Those horses are talking to each other not you, and the louder you scream DOES NOT help. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
And No you do not have to buck for your hind lead, you can do it at home, so you can do it in the show ring.
And please just once, could you use your front end and pick up your knees, again the attention thing, look everywhere else but at the fence. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif oh a jump I'll just swing my front legs to the right and my hind legs to the left. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and land in a pile. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Oh the joy, can you feel the love?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TrickOfTheTrade
Jul. 20, 2001, 01:00 PM
I need the magic want to turn good. That's my biggest problem, once he is straight to a fence there is no stoping him. I need the magic wand for me because my greenie is wonderful, I get in his way, lol. Have done a few lead changes after fences and got some, but have yet to set down and seriously work on them.
Look out for Tick's over fences debut some time this summer, hopefully.

Chef Jade
Jul. 20, 2001, 02:25 PM
KB - I wish Jade would go around like she just had 4 beers...maybe then she would just CHILL. That is my wish...How did Justice and Jade come out with opposite temperaments?

Although the great thing about support groups is sharing success and giving everyone hope! I'd like to report that Jade and I were 2nd in the A/A hunters today and 1st under saddle! YEAH! She was SUCH a good girl, didn't peak at a thing. It probably helped that my trainer hopped on her bareback yesterday (brave soul) took her to the ring and walked her around for a hour while my mom fed her carrots! She was probably so worried that if she went too fast today she'd miss the carrot lady! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Justice
Jul. 20, 2001, 03:06 PM
Are you at the Oaks? Congratulations!

Merry
Jul. 20, 2001, 04:10 PM
Good job, chef! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This support group is great! I hope no one minds if I'm chuckling along while I read these posts. Just remember: I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Justice: A reining/working cowhorse trainer might do the trick! Just think, on weekends when you're not showing hunters, you could make some $ doing jackpot team penning! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PonyLuvN
Jul. 20, 2001, 04:42 PM
some kind of brakes! when i pull you into the rail I dont me jump out of the arena!!
corners are not made for running and speeding around cross cantering!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
When I pull to stop that IS IN NO WAY the signal for a game of tug-o-war! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
X's arent scary! you can see the other side!
running into the jump isnt the easiest way to get to the other side!
and worst of all.......
when you are so horrible for me AT LEAST be some-what bad for my trainer!!!
Now i know Im not the only one with this problem, but Im sad to see SO many of us.

-Stephy

Bumpkin
Jul. 20, 2001, 09:00 PM
Great thread!

Elliot was such a good boy at his, "Fun Show", that at the moment other than getting all his leads correct and wringing his tail like a wind up toy, I have nothing to pray for!! haha

So I guess I am saying at the moment...."My Ignorance is Bliss"!! hahaha /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Also I didn't have to ride him that day, I had a wonderful "sacraficial lamb" riding him and making him look wonderful!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Chicago
Jul. 20, 2001, 09:26 PM
...as DF tries not to burst into tears...

My magic wand would make my fabulous greenie who is the fastest learner I have ever encountered sound again.

Looks like he isn't going to hold up to serious working. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Too much talent.

Merry
Jul. 21, 2001, 10:31 AM
Oh no, DF! I'm so sorry! Maybe if he learns quickly he can just work part-time? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

By the way, you aren't distantly related to my sister, are you? All of her greenies seem to self-destruct. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Starbucks
Jul. 21, 2001, 12:31 PM
Let's see .. Star needs to learn to travel OFF his forehand. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Flying changes come naturally to him. So naturally, in fact, he finds it fun to swap them when not asked every five strides or so. :P (Dressage, anyone?)

That he would no longer see the horrible monsters lurking in cows, especially calves.

That he would not travel in one direction while his head and shoulders point in another.

That, when asked for a canter and while cantering, he would not give little crowhops that are easy to ride but annoying and ugly, no matter how fun he thinks they are.

That, when a horse is ahead of him, his mindset wouldn't immediately fly back to his track days.

That his four year old mind could fathom the possibilities that NO, bushes that are half a foot tall do NOT contain cougars.

Overall, though, I love my little baby greenie. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif He's great over fences, I have no complaint there.

Merry
Jul. 21, 2001, 04:02 PM
What do ya mean, Starbucks? You mean you don't appreciate it when your greenie canters like a crab down the rail or toward a jump? How many times have I heard my trainer say, "Warning! Your horse's hind end is about to pass his front end!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"He' s two... two... two horses in one!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jul. 21, 2001, 04:40 PM
I would wish that one of the ponies i catchride would do her changes and not drag me around!!!

sorry have to vent, for crying out loud she's a 5 yr. old small and she draging me around geez!! I mean yeah i am 4'9 at the least but geez!!!

okay sorry about that it was quite nessacary! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<Catherine>

C&C
Jul. 21, 2001, 05:19 PM
we could take two consecutive steps forward instead of one forward and two back!!!

Arg! Last week I had a horse I felt could win, win, win. We were finally making some progress. Today we were back to the same horse I bought 5 months ago!!!!

Hmmmmm. Maybe I should just wish for more patience /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Midge
Jul. 22, 2001, 04:35 AM
Yeah C&C, Between Midge and I, I am the one who needs the magic wand!

Jul. 22, 2001, 06:53 AM
1.) I wish for a shorter strided taller horse. 15.3 with a massive stride looks quite strange. Especially when at a slow pace you leave out strides.

2.) I wish for ENERGY! Please God oh PLEASE give my horsie some energy!

3.) I wish my horse would not go binge drinking before the hack....

4.) I wish for a horse who doesnt like the taste of edgewood leather.

5.) I wish my horse doesn't constantly neigh when he has to leave his friend back at the barn.

6.) I wish my horse wasn't quite so gay. Its embarrasing when my gelding has an eye for the stallions...

Merry
Jul. 22, 2001, 10:01 AM
Well, 1205, I'm not sure which of your wishes made me chuckle more... #5 has been the most humiliating and painful for me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

As for binge drinking before the hacks, my baby gelding is a binger, too. But he absolutely will not pee unless he has a stall. He'll hold it all day. Then he's so uncomfortable that he can't hack with a relaxed back or hind end. *sigh* Hence, I do lots of overnight shows, or at least compete someplace where he can have an empty stall to hang out in.

Now me... I can pee in the trailer, but we've discussed this before. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

sprite
Jul. 22, 2001, 10:22 AM
Where do I start? You guys can complain about not getting your changes, mine cant even figure out the canter! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Your greenies are inattentive over fences, mine trips over ground poles!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

But what would be really nice is a little more bravery. He is a big big chicken. Not spooky, just a chicken. {{sigh}} He has a VERY wild imagination. Shadows on the pavement become 10 foot ditches, corn rustling in the wind means someone's coming to get him, and even though the flatbed trailer has been parked next to the ring foe weeks, its STILL cause for alarm, LOL. Dont get me started on the neighbor's goat... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bumpkin
Jul. 22, 2001, 11:06 AM
Oh yes the taste for leather!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I used plain non laced reins for a year, my trainer made little comments about my "reins", Elliot seemed like he hadn't put a mark on them for awhile....so I changed them to a nice older set of laced reins.
Of course in the matter of time it took me to latch my helmet, he had delaced one side!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I guess I should purchase him a large, leather, pacifier. hahaha /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Merry
Jul. 22, 2001, 03:53 PM
Oh, poor Bumpkin! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif So Elliot's a leather hound?
Paraphrasing from 'The Sixth Sense': "I see dead leather reins!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And don't get me started on tripping over ground poles. *sigh* Today I started the Hanoverian Cow Beast (aka Barbie) over weensy crossrails. We ultimately trotted my little 18" wall. Let's just say it was... "amusing". /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

By the way, here's a photo of me hacking Hammie, aka "The Hambola Virus/The Ham Meister/The Hambolarama". It was taken a few months ago.

barngirl
Jul. 22, 2001, 04:20 PM
I have good news to report on the Greenie front. My prescious dorkmester has appeared at least for two consecutive days in a row... to have made a turning point... after three weeks stall rest we are back intraining and he is being very good. Doesn't lunge well, but undersaddle he is actually listening. He really wanted to canter today ( dispite it being a very muggy 90degrees at 10AM!!!). But he needs alot more trot work to get that muscle a little stronger( muscle tear to thigh area!!!) But for the first time ever he said okay I'll keep trotting. I was so proud of him.
Maybe I am on to something here. 3 weeks stall rest must have turned him into a zombie.. now my out of shape greenie is ready to be a good boy. Or maybe he is just grateful to be out of his stall.
But I am not going to question why I am just going to ride!!!! I am sure that tommorow will be awful... as of course he will have taken his two good steps forward and must now take his 50 steps backwards!!!! I hope he doesn't buck like he was doing on the lunge line!!! they were pretty spectaular and I am not in the mood to be "vaulted" from the saddle as my trainer refers to it.

Merry
Jul. 22, 2001, 04:35 PM
Yes, I'd bet it'd be that 2nd or 3rd ride, when your greenie realizes it's back to work and he's getting fitter that he expresses just how much he enjoyed his vacation! So, wear your helmet and hang on! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Our thoughts are with you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LaurieB
Jul. 22, 2001, 05:40 PM
I knew if we kept asking nicely we'd get a picture of Hammie eventually. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

He's a real cutie!

barngirl
Jul. 22, 2001, 05:47 PM
Oh I'll be wearing my helmet all right... I don't even bother to ride or show for that matter in anything but my certified Troxel.. it look okay, and it is a must in my opinion when working with greenies!!!! I learned the hard way... luckily without serious injure... just a could head thumping when my uncertifed came flying off after we over jumped a fence...it was 2ft9in.. he cleared the 6ft wings!!! that was of course after coming across the diagonal 5 stride in 4!!! and being on top of the the 2nd fence!!! Ahhh greenies!!!! Apparently it was quite spectaular!!!! Glad he stopped doing that! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bumpkin
Jul. 22, 2001, 06:50 PM
Elliot definately sees "Dead Reins" and likes to make certain they stay that way.
I wonder if he would like some "naugahyde" reins? hahaha /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

We had a wonderful lesson today, Elliot is so much fun to ride. He does not take off or leap around.
I am always teary eyed and all gushy after most of our lessons, I just love this horse so much.
I know I have tons to do, and he has tons to learn, but just feeling SAFE & SECURE is such a wonderful feeling /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
And having a very perceptive trainer for both Elliot and I is a big help and pleasure. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cactuskate
Jul. 22, 2001, 09:44 PM
I have such a willing greenie, but alas, I have no trainer within 200 miles for work over fences. I just can't get myself to do the "do-it-yourself" program. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

So we keep going round and round on our 20 meter circle....he is broke to death on the flat though. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Well execpt for that right lead canter issue, but I think that might just be a bit ME. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bumpkin, I am so jealous of you and your wonderul trainer.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."

DMK
Jul. 23, 2001, 08:06 AM
Well, it's confession time... It has been 5 years since I started my last OTTB greenie (Robbie), and needless to say he isn't a green bean by any stretch of the imagination (atlhough he gave a credible impression at Biltmore last weekend when he saw the white mounting blocks so graciusly provided by one of the sponsors /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ).

It has been 3+ years since I saw the last of all those fun antics you have so lovingly recounted (although there is something to say for working on finessing an in and out, as opposed to merely surviving it /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ). But the pain of obedience, suppleness and responsiveness was clearly getting to me... So late this May I took the plunge (again) and got another greenie, OTTB of course (bay, 4 years, 17+ hands, deepest heartgirth I have ever seen /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif and a huge hip).

However, since he had a debatable shoeing job from his former farrier, I pulled his front shoes and let nature work on those heels, and he has mostly just been "chillin'" for the past 2 months, so I have been spared the green bean antics so far (except the part where he reaches around and rips the halter off the hook every day).

It was good to read up on this refresher course though!!

rory
Jul. 23, 2001, 11:00 AM
unfortunately.

Very talented but very lame!

But, this too shall pass! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DMK
Jul. 23, 2001, 12:57 PM
Yup, Merry... definitely been in "lurk mode" on this one /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Maybe one day I will have some pics of him, although if past experiences are anything to go buy, usually the first pics I get are those that are purchased from a show photographer!!!

C&C
Jul. 23, 2001, 02:27 PM
DMK, if the greenie is anything like Robbie, I'm sure the pictures will be worth waiting for!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cactuskate, I share your pain. Brining up a greenie is difficult without some ground help!! I work mostly on my own, but once we really started putting fences together, I realized we had to start getting some help. If I go it alone, no matter how much I anticipate our issues and set up a course before I get on, I inevitably need something changed. And once I have to hop off and reset a ground line or add one or something, I've lost my mare's attention or she's forgotten what she did wrong that made me change the fence in the first place. I do have a trainer. In fact, I now have two, but both are on the road a lot, and difficult to get a lesson from.

So I think I want to change my wish to a more accessable and available trainer /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lord Helpus
Jul. 23, 2001, 03:28 PM
Ah, Merry, LOVE the picture of you and Hammie --- you look so casual, just out for an everyday hack in your breeches and immaculately polished boots. Tell the truth, is that really your everyday outfit for around the barn?

Hammie is a handsome sucker -- but JUMPING pictures! We want to see JUMPING pictures!

Pam (back from caps lock hell...)

PS You are the only person who is longer from hip to knee than I am.... Makes riding in the economy section of airplanes fun, eh?

Merry
Jul. 23, 2001, 03:34 PM
Pam, LOL! Ah, yeah, I hack in my backyard everyday in Vogels and TS breeches. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Actually, I snagged that photo from a magazine shoot, ha-ha!

I'm so cheap; I never pay for professional photos at shows unless it's some sort of big fandango. I shall have to rectify that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

As for being long from knee to hip, *sigh*. I once had a trainer tell me, "You have a great leg, but it's this odd shape, so you have to develop your own style." Gee, thanks.

Cactuskate
Jul. 23, 2001, 04:12 PM
C&C, it's not just the resetting of the bumped rails that is tough. It is not having that knowledgable voice in the center, giving me great pearls of wisdom and bolstering my courage. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I am the epitome of being able to TELL someone else how it should be done, and be their voice of encouragement. But I become a bumbling fool when left to my own. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Sigh.....someday.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Midge
Jul. 23, 2001, 04:22 PM
It is hard to work on one's own. I just try to build on previous successes. I do lots of poles on the ground. I don't think I could do it with a trainer 200 miles away, though!

headsup
Jul. 23, 2001, 04:48 PM
How 'bout when the greenies grow(when they are already too big for you /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ) and you can no longer see the ground and it's like driving a freight train? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Damn...tell me again why adults aren't allowed to show ponies? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Merry
Jul. 23, 2001, 04:50 PM
Yes, LaurieB, it is amazing that I actually found a photo of Hammie. Now, if I can only get one of him jumping... really, he does jump! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DMK: Aha, so you've been holding out on us! Go ahead, join our ranks. We'll be awaiting your tales from the Land of Baby Greendom.

Merry
Jul. 23, 2001, 05:31 PM
I call it "skill building". I don't do much work over fences at home as far as courses and lines go. I do that in my lessons at my trainer's. At home we do stuff that (hopefully) adds up to better courses: lots of ground pole exercises, trot in/canter out grids, halting in a straight line after a flying change... usually all with Beezer as a groundperson. Thank goodness I don't have to pay her for every fence I knock down or cavaletti I bump and move!

Jul. 23, 2001, 05:53 PM
will you please please please post a picture of your leather hog???!!! He sounds way tooo cute!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

<Catherine>

Bumpkin
Jul. 23, 2001, 07:22 PM
I don't have any adult ones yet that look like "Elliot" to me.
Baby Elliot (http://members.aol.com/welliefellie/ElliotBaby.jpg)

Merry
Jul. 23, 2001, 08:12 PM
Oh, he was the cutest baby! I love those "Tub-o's" with dished faces!

TuxWink
Jul. 23, 2001, 08:32 PM
because I just had one of those "awesome" lessons, but I will share the following lovely moments with super-green turbo-mare...

1. Clearing the placing rail on the landing side of the oxer.

2. Jumping five feet in the air over a 2' jump.

3. #2 plus the added bonus feature of the split-second-stop-stare at the base of the X-COUNTRY jump, then launching herself off all 4 legs like a grasshopper and clearing both the height and width of the jump by a mile!

However, I am so grateful that I am learning to have a super-tight seat and leg and, no matter how bad it was the first time, Miss Mare is a fast learner and doesn't make the same mistake twice! She's just very excited to be jumping /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Brigadier
Jul. 23, 2001, 10:58 PM
As I wave the wand over Brody's head, his urge to gallop through turns dissipates,
the pining for his turnout buddy (who is still in the field while he, poor baby, is forced into performing endless canter-walk transitions) ceases.
Ah, for ability to canter on a lunge-line without trying to kill the human holding on for dear life at the other end.
The freedom to ride said baby in a ring containing no other horses. Heaven forbid his royal highness not have anyone to suffer with while some chick on his back tortures him with such menial tasks.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif In his head, he thinks he's a jumper. But we know he's much too cute for that. now if he'd just SLOW DOWN!!!
PS My Mom (sugarbr) posted a pic of the beastie on the first page of this tread.

Merry
Jul. 23, 2001, 11:31 PM
Ah, Tux, gotta love those grasshopper moments. Or, as we say, "He jumped like a stag." /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Brigadier, hold on tight! Don't cha love being whipped around like you're on the Scrambler ride at the county fair?

Bumpkin: I'm guessing about 4 months??? Usually much after they're weaned they get more lean, ribby and growthy.

Bumpkin
Jul. 24, 2001, 06:52 AM
It does help me emotionally /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif to read that I am not the only one.
Thanks everyone!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

headsup
Jul. 24, 2001, 08:51 AM
Here is one of my sale greenies...17 hands and a *push* at 4 yrs old...now picture me at 5'3 on him LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JumpTheMoon
Jul. 24, 2001, 09:00 AM
Headsup is that 4white socks? Oh he is so totally CUTE! What is he doing?

headsup
Jul. 24, 2001, 09:06 AM
Nope 3 white socks, he has white polos on /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Has a star, stripe and snip too, be hard pressed to get more chrome LOL. He's getting ready to do the baby greens....slowly /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif as he just turned 4. He will be out and about shortly doing the hacks. I think he's one of the best greenies I've ever had, personality to die for. He's just huge though, his owner came a couple weeks ago and we decided that he's over the 17 hand mark and well on his way to 17.1....parachute anyone? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry
Jul. 24, 2001, 07:31 PM
headsup: very fancy! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DOME
Jul. 24, 2001, 07:39 PM
Headsup: Nice horse, chromey, just the way I like 'em /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif. Do you mind emailing me with more info on him??? Thanks! cdamico1@home.com

DOME

hifi
Jul. 24, 2001, 09:40 PM
I wish for flying lead changes and balance. He likes to lean into my outside leg towards the barn than my inside leg towards the barn! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

If you can't beat 'em, try harder.

JRG
Jul. 25, 2001, 02:17 AM
Mom took me out of my stall just before dinner the other day. Not that anyone was being fed but in was nearing the time, and I was getting hungry.

It had been almost a lifetime since my last grain, and she started to clean me up. What was she thinking? Surely she didn't think I could consentrate on what she wanted?

So we get to the area that I am supposed to do all this work in. Sometimes it isn't so bad, we get to jump and I really like that. She is making me use my butt, asks for me to bend left but by the time she asked me to bend right I had had enough. It was dinner time and I tried my darnedest to let her know.

I started to buck down the long side in hopes that she would get the hint. Nope, she worked me harder, and longer. When will I ever learn?

So I was being a good boy, and after a cool down and a shower she finally let me back to eat. But it didn't come............so I waited for what seemed eternity. Then she came back and there it was...My dinner. I thought she had forgotten. I love my mommy, just don't get too close admire me from afar.

headsup
Jul. 25, 2001, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the nice comments /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I like him a lot too /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Merry
Jul. 25, 2001, 10:48 AM
Ah, JRG, do you have a land shark, too, like me? Mine loves me only when I have A)a horse cookie, or B)I'm coming with the halter for his turn-out. If I arrive with bridle in hand, forget it! Does that tell you something? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Beezer
Jul. 25, 2001, 10:52 AM
I want the magic wand that makes ... and keeps ... them sound. (Oh, SHUT UP, Merry. I know I need a lifetime supply of those. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif )

I also wouldn't mind the magic wand that makes them realize that just because the horses "next door" are out bucking and playing, that doesn't mean that Tigger gets to buck and play. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

And what's up with "twisty head" thing he adopted last night? You know, the gnawing on the side of the bit and twisting his head almost upside down to stare me in the eye as we try to go *straight* down the rail? Where the heck did THAT come from?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I think I'll just wave my own personal magic wand: I'LL MAKE MERRY RIDE HIM!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

****Bulletin Board Goddess****

headsup
Jul. 25, 2001, 11:09 AM
oh...you didn't get the memo when you got the greenie? The twisty head thing is mandatory LOL. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Merry
Jul. 25, 2001, 04:06 PM
Yeah, Beezer, why, exactly, do you assume you get to forego the twisty head thingy with your greenie? We've all put up with the "his ears point left but his nose points right," routine. Now it's your turn!It ain't so much fun riding a baby greenie, is it, sister???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Beezer
Jul. 25, 2001, 05:22 PM
Sigh, Headsup: Mine apparently came without THAT memo ... until yesterday. He came with several others, but I thought he'd missed that chapter in "greenie school." He apparently took a remedial class. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

As for YOU, dearest sister...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merry:
Yeah, Beezer, why, exactly, do you assume you get to forego the twisty head thingy with your greenie? We've all put up with the "his ears point left but his nose points right," routine. Now it's your turn! It ain't so much fun riding a baby greenie, is it, sister????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should be able to forego it because my Tigger is a GOOD boy. He isn't a land shark like *some* people's bay princes that I could name. He isn't an arrogant, opinionated pain /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ; he doesn't have a love/hate relationship with his human mom (he always loves her); he doesn't *usually* talk back. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Of course, he also has soundness "issues," but that's a whole nother thread. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Bumpkin
Jul. 25, 2001, 06:47 PM
Oh we went through the upside down head thing. I think it was a combination of the saddle and girth not fitting, and being upset at the leg being used on his royal sides. haha /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Knock on wood he has not done that for a few months now. whew!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Lord Helpus
Jul. 26, 2001, 10:06 AM
I have several notions about a greenie -- and the first is that he must learn to enjoy his work or the rest of the training will be hell. So I focus on having nice times with a greenie -- and sometimes it means slipping a little bit of training in when they are not looking.

But I think I go too far sometimes: Today, Mikey (4) was "scared" of the birdies that fly up in one corner of the ring. So we don't go there. And he was also strong on his circles if I made a big deal about bending (he "pretends" that he gets the "go forward" aid mixed up with the "bending" aid...) So we didn't fuss too much with bending today. And, being on the muscle, I decided that cantering was not in the cards today (why fight with him when I just KNOW he will be bad and go crow hopping around the ring???)

So, our ride ended up being walk and trot, in 3/4ths of the ring with no bending work. Did he have a good time? SURE! But did I let him dictate the terms of the ride? YOU BET!

How far do all of you do with making a greenie listen when he isn't ready and forcing issues when he wants to be a dork?

DMK
Jul. 26, 2001, 10:33 AM
Like you a pretty much want to make a lot of greenie experiences positive, but mostly what I try to remember is that IF I choose to go down there were the evil, horse eating birds reside, that is pretty much all we are going to do that day (that is a mental preparation that I, as the rider MUST do to keep my cool). And I try to keep the battles I won't engage in nicely balanced with the times I do pick a battle.

It's hard to explain, but if I had the bird battle today, I would probably try to set ourselves up for success for the next couple of days (unless we had to have Bird Battle, Part Deux /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ).

When the issues could be because of lack of muscling, coordination and balance, then I try to think of some other exercise that might help develop the same muscles without pushing the obedience issue. Of course it doesn't always work out that way, and then you just need to bite the bullet. Mostly I have found that a lot of the other groundwork and basic training is done then, so it isn't so bad... on most horses... and then there are those "special few"... (we try to tell ourselves that they are this way because they are going to be the "special" athlete /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

FirstCry
Jul. 26, 2001, 11:19 AM
OK, yous guys jinxed me. And I blame every single one of you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif All of sudden yesterday, I'm riding a new greenie at the stables and guess what?? I'm getting a white foam shower as Miss Ranni (Green Mare) starts the twisty head thangy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif And she was really getting into it. back and forth up and down, tounge sticking out. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I beleive its time for a drop nose band to stop the tounge thing, but how do you prohibit the twisting head????

Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America

FirstCry
Jul. 26, 2001, 11:21 AM
Additional Note: Just vetted, teeth are fine, this just started, have been riding her in the same tack for 3 weeks with no problems. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bumpkin
Jul. 26, 2001, 11:29 AM
Well bending those rules...hmmmm
I knew for months that I was not making Elliot do things. When I felt we were about to have a blow up I would give in and not address the issue.
When I started with the new trainer, the first few lessons had some of those issues addressed with her talking me through them.
It was GREAT, a real adrenaline thrill to stay on and do what she was saying and seeing a difference every time we rode and took a lesson.
I could never have gotten to these problems and solved them pronto, if I did not have my trainer on the ground telling me what to do the whole way we were careening around the ring with those hind end bucks. haha /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
It helped that I knew that his bark was bigger than his bite, and I had told myself, "no fear".
For I knew in my olde heart if I let fear in I am doomed.
One day he was wonderful, then all of the sudden awful.
We went around and around moving forward, not letting him win.
Then my trainer told me, now ride him past/ through those problem places and over the jumps like he is the greatest hunter in the world and nothing is wrong. You are so happy and having a great round of perfect jumps. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I did and it worked. Elliot felt like he was going to fight me if I wanted to fight, but because I just ignored his tensing up and rode on he relaxed and the lesson ended wonderfully.
He has been wonderful for me since then and we have made some great strides in our relationship.
Hope this rambling makes sense.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gayle
Jul. 26, 2001, 11:37 AM
One of the trainers at our barn says the neatest thing to one of the kids with a green pony when they encounter a "greenie issue".

Kick her hard to get her past the (insert name of any big scary thing), once you get her past it "pet her like she's perfect".

It cracks me up but it works with mine too.

JRG
Jul. 26, 2001, 01:29 PM
The best way I can tell someone to deal with a greenie is to pick the battles you can win, and always end on a good note.

Give them the best possible advantage, fitness and tack before you tackle harder issues. You know, you don't do shoulder in untill you can do your bends stuff like that. It is all about building blocks. Knowing that you will have set backs along the way, you just don't let them get you down. You go back to working on something that they can do.

There are somedays I get on and know that the "harder issues" will not be delt with. I also know when I can push buttons and which ones will get which results. But I make sure I will win the issue. If you don't win and end on a good note, the lesson has been lost.

So one day of cutting the arena down is not such a big deal, work on circles. Keep going untill you are just about to reach the end of the comfort zone and end it there before the war starts. Then the next time you can try going to the corner again.

Don't let all of us lamenting about our greenies scare you, just sometimes it is nice to know you aren't the only one dealing with these issues. Missery loves company.

As for my Land Shark. I fixed that wagon a long time ago. He started to run away from me in the field when I would go get him. So I made him run longer, till he realized it was better for him to let me get him then to spend the next 15 min running. He would start to slow down and I was like "I don't think so, you wanted to run now go". The funny thing was he didn't go far enough away from me running that I couldn't get to him. Now my boy stands there like a good boy for me to get him.

Merry
Jul. 26, 2001, 03:27 PM
I am ready to console and comiserate with all of you.

Lord Helpus/Pam: I fight your battle constantly. I think how you deal with the spooky areas of your ring depends somewhat with the horse's basic temperament. If the horse is a weenie (faint-hearted) by avoiding the scary area too much it can escalate into them not wanting to go into the corner or even that half of the arena. Then they begin to test you anytime something looks suspicious. In that respect, I begin to view it as me going to the dentist. I don't enjoy it, I'd rather not go there, it can be scary, but I have to go regarless. So I press the issue. With more bolder horses, I decide just how much I want to work the horse that day. What was my lesson plan? If it was to work on transitions or flying changes, then yes, on an otherwise forward, confident horse that was just having a bad day, I'd focus on my ten minutes of schooling that lesson plan and avoid the scary part of the arena.

Now, for the twisty head thingy: That's just baby stuff. I believe it's discussed in Chapter 5 of the Baby Green Manual. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif They're seeking and/or avoiding your rein aids. Really concentrate on riding leg to hand, giving and sending, etc. It sounds harder to fix than it is. It's just doofiness and it'll go away.

As for my lovely ride: I found myself literally uttering to Hammie, "Why do you act like this? It makes me have to be mean to you!" Gosh, do I sound like a parent having to spank their spoiled, unruly child, or what? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

LaurieB
Jul. 26, 2001, 04:05 PM
Being perhaps one of the "greener" riders on the board I should, perhaps, not presume to give advice. However, thanks to Miss Tess, I do have copious experience with a young TB who thinks that she should never, ever approach, much less trot past, anything scary.

What has worked wonders for me is introducing the scary sight/situation/ end of the ring/ etc. to her before I even get on. Yesterday, my lesson was in our indoor ring where Tess is normally fine except that the sprinkler was running (and hissing) and someone had tipped over the roll-top in anticipation of moving it. Tess walked into the ring and immediately went into what can only be described as giraffe-stance. You know what that is, you've all seen it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

So I took a few minutes and let her stare. When she got bored standing where we were, we moved closer. And eventually closer, until finally we'd circled the sprinkler a couple times and I was sitting on the roll-top holding the end of the reins (and coincidentally, a carrot /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

As long as Tess is allowed to accept things at her own speed, I find we have many fewer battles about how things "should" go. By the way, once I got on, she didn't give either the sprinkler or the roll-top another look.

JB
Jul. 26, 2001, 05:55 PM
I just have to say that I am going to hopefully print out this entire thread! As one who has never ridden anything less than a fairly broke 5yo, I am now venturing down the path of getting my 3yo going w/t this summer. It gives me great comfort to know that everything, every single thing, that Rio has done this summer is "normal", and that I know to expect as "normal" all of the things that he has yet to do that have been described here. God, please give us strength! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry
Jul. 27, 2001, 09:18 AM
Hammie's neck is a nickel's worth short, but man, can it "up periscope" when he sees a pony on a hilltop or a chicken in the neighbor's bushes. I've done the "let's introduce ourselves to the scary _________ before we start", also. My other trick is to get a human to stand next to said scary object. Amazingly, it works every time! Just ask Beezer or Queen of Horse Show Moms. Both have been escorted to the scary corners of show arenas and told to start talking to whatever greenie I'm on as I approach the turn. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

And my own baby greenie assignment for today: Riding Barbie, aka "The Hanoverian Cow Beast". She's really cute and 180 degrees from Hammie in all aspects. We just started trotting little x's and stuff. What does she feel like? The term "a flying couch" comes to mind. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

headsup
Jul. 27, 2001, 09:52 AM
Let us not forget the "greenie eating" storm drains when we venture to the shows...those are a lovely way to smack your TS clad butt on the pavement /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bumpkin
Jul. 27, 2001, 09:57 AM
Oh Elliot has his spooky corners in the arena. One end seems pretty licked, but the big sliding doors at the other end....if they are open and there is a chair(s) sitting there!!!! Watch out, or if the chair(s) is gone, well then anything will do, people walking by, just about any distraction.
We circle, circle, circle at that end. Making Elliot look inside the arena not out the big door.
After awhile he tends to get in the groove and not look for ideas.
The one spooky thing, we have not really addressed/conquered yet it the large wooden playarea, you know, those ones that have treehouse, slide and swings all together?
There is one approx 50 feet from one side of the arena.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Merry
Jul. 27, 2001, 10:19 AM
Chairs are a big deal with all of my greenies. What's up with that? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Now, if you seat a human in the chair, they're fine. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Hammie also has a problem with one particular corner of our arena. But so do about 1/2 of our other horses. There are trees there, along with the manure bin. You can only see glimpses of the neighbors and their movements through the hedge, so I think that bugs them, too. Every day, tracking right, it's a gamble as to how much we tense up/spook in that corner.

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in my struggles! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DMK
Jul. 27, 2001, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by headsup:
Let us not forget the "greenie eating" storm drains when we venture to the shows...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea... "greenie-eating storm drains"... that is EXACTLY what I call 'em when my "made" hunter who has been in the showring since '97 almost kills me when he spots one... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Stupid horse almost destroyed my achilles tendon when he practically leaped in my back pocket at Biltmore a few weeks ago!!!

Duffy
Jul. 27, 2001, 10:28 AM
Our barn property's landlord has decided to train his dog to herd sheep. Yes, we now have sheep in a paddock near one end of the indoor ring...The horses can't see them from the ring, but methinks they can smell them! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

LaurieB
Jul. 27, 2001, 11:31 AM
Cows are our nemesis. Let Tess see or smell one single cow and she thinks it's rodeo time.

There was one memorable trail ride where it took me nearly half an hour to get her past a field that had two cows placidly lying down in it. A few minutes later a coyote crossed our path. She didn't even give it a glance. Somehow I think my mare would not survive very long in the wild. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DMK
Jul. 27, 2001, 11:34 AM
LOL - I have always said that after the biowarfare holocaust, when all our beasties have to fend for themselves, Robbie will be the first dinner!!!

Bumpkin
Jul. 27, 2001, 11:59 AM
Elliot has a new past time.
He loves having his big black feedtub on the ground. He swings it around and yesterday I glanced in his stall to see him doing some ritual where he would set the tub up then step through it and try to get both back feet in the tub at once. Then he does this little dance thing with the back feet. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
He had this real concentrated look on his face like this was serious business.
I had to start laughing, so he jumped out and picked the tub up swung it around and pounced on it with the front feet.
Strange horse, haha. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JRG
Jul. 27, 2001, 12:20 PM
Didn't you know Bumpkin that when you are not looking they get in and dance around?

I have seen my horses hooves it it on more than one occation.

Parker's Diary:

Mom gave me a couple of days off in a row due to really bad thunderstorms, so she must be comming up tonight. I will run amuck in the pasture like an idiot and get all sweaty so the barn help will have to clean me. In the process I will rip off both my pull on bell boots and take a shoe too!

aaahhh one more day off, mom will be too tired after she re-shoe me to ride after a full day of work.

Gayle
Jul. 27, 2001, 12:24 PM
Apparently Duffy, you haven't ridden in the ring since he started turning them out in the larger paddock that they can see from the other doors!

Won2Keep
Jul. 27, 2001, 01:41 PM
I need a support group way below the Baby Green one! How about the Just Broke Support Group? Showrings, jumps, cantering lines are way in the future for this guy.

He has been very good because he does not have the muscle to misbehave! I tried to canter for the first time last night and sort of wound him up. I put my leg on... and what did he do? Stop dead in his tracks. Several times!

It is like being in a car with no brakes, no gas pedal, and no steering, but you are moving forward.

Anyone else want to join the "Just Broke" Support Group?

Chef Jade
Jul. 27, 2001, 01:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> LOL - I have always said that after the biowarfare holocaust, when all our beasties have to fend for themselves, Robbie will be the first dinner!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jade has the opposite problem. She will, under no uncertain terms, be THE last one standing. That means at the hint of anything threatening, she uses all of her athletic prowess to dart in an undetermined direction, leaving me behind, and IN the ground. Let's just say that you don't "fall" off Jade...she has this inate ability to catapult you to the ground. Usually when you come to your senses and emerge from the ground you have left a crater the size of Lake Mead.

And at the last show a trainer asked if she was for sale - she is looking for a nice, DEAD (read: one blink away from death) quiet packer for an older lady. I just looked at her and chuckled. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Beezer
Jul. 27, 2001, 03:36 PM
Dear Mom: Please don't ever let mean Auntie Merry ride me again. Ever. Please.

She has a lot more rules than you do. And I don't really like her rules. -- Your greenie, Tigger.

Merry
Jul. 27, 2001, 05:08 PM
Ahem, Beezer, did you or did you not want the "twisty head thingy" addressed? Poor Tigger. He knew it was not his mom that was climbing aboard when we were at the mounting block, he turned with a foamy mouth to rub on my arm and I smacked him and said, "No!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Sheep and cows, you say? I've got your cows, 20+, stacked up against my back fence, used by the neighbors for their weekly team penning soirees. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif So cows we "do". And we have a resident goat, so we "do" goats/sheep fine. What we do not do are emus. Yes, folks, in our town there are pet emus peppered along the trails, living as pets in backyards. So ask me how much I enjoy local trail riding on a green horse. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Peggy
Jul. 27, 2001, 05:22 PM
One day when I was riding my then baby greenie, someone arrived at the grassy area by the ring with a llama. And a cart. And then proceeded to hitch the llama to the cart. At our lovely public rings, we also learned to deal with playpens, small children banging sticks on the rail, psychotic city workers with lawnmovers, frustrated sheep-herding dogs whose owners had taught them to herd horses, and a sheep and a pig whose respective owners liked to take them for walks.

As a result, none of the above usually bothers my now somewhat more sedate and mature horse. It's always the little things, like moving one of the 20 chairs that reside at the end of the ring, that get him. As someone said today, "Cool sees dead people."

jumpsalot
Jul. 27, 2001, 07:03 PM
I have recently graduated on Lio from the "OK so I'm on , now what". Steering- hah,-- the leg thing - took 2 weeks to understand it meant GO- not STOP- or "throw yourself against this"- I had someone stand in the middle of a circle slightly larger than longing size(but somewhat irregular) with a longe whip. When Lio would not go by the leg, he got the voice command - trot, or walk, or canter(or plain go dammit)followed by an appearance of the longe whip behind him. Worked like a charm til he realized that when he went around the whole ring- the WHIP was FAR FAR AWAY. This led to a new jogging regime by the teenager holding the longe line. Boy is she fit now!!!
We can now(for the most part) go around in a fairly civilized manner- barring those pesky warmup areas at Culpeper! GOOD LUCK!!!

Royal Blue
Jul. 27, 2001, 07:26 PM
Though my greenie has improved by leaps & bounds since last year, & gets better & better every day one thing still really gets me. I want to know why he does everything I can't get him to do when my trainer works with him /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I just really wish he would stop thinking he knows what we are doing next, gathering the reins does not always equal canter. Oh & if I had to be real picky I wish to the horsey gods that he would get the idea that bending is good & cantering crooked is not.

OnceAThief
Jul. 27, 2001, 09:02 PM
I'll join the "Just Started Psycho Pony" support group with you guys! As of today, Warmblood William has been officially "backed." Whoo.

William has just started out in Pony School, which would be exciting enough if I got to do things on my own terms, but instead I have some help.. Here's what happened today:

My trainer, who has really taken over *my* project horse (not bitter) met me at the door to the barn today with another goofy smile on her face. "You've GOT to come see Willbur!" she said as she bounced off toward his stall. It being hellaciously early and me being my normal pissy self, I was expecting to see that he'd managed to suck down another western saddle only leaving the silver pieces.. again..

Instead, I was met with a yellow horse. Seems Trainer and William had gotten in a spat about Furazone spray - she kept saying how long it took to get him good with it, I kept shaking my head and saying, "He was always fine with this with me!," and she'd remind me again that when you have them from baby-hood you can't blame the other trainers for their issues. Ugh.

So, Chestnut-Gone-Jaundice Willbur turns around and I see that he not only has tiger stripes and a tic-tac-toe board on one side, he has A-- HOLE!! spray painted on the other. (sigh) Pictures were taken from every angle, with William looking as sweet and innocent as possible in them all.

I got the joy of heaving myself up onto the yellow nightmare bareback in his stall. Sitting on him was all well and good, until I looked down and saw that I had now transferred all of that yellow crap to my jeans, shirt, and face. Ah, the joy of the Just-Started-Out-Psycho-Trainers.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-------
Swift's Injuries: 4 Major, 16 Minor, 9 XRays. Injuries to rider: 4

TrickOfTheTrade
Jul. 27, 2001, 09:28 PM
Just got back to from the barn and had to share about my wonderful greenie.
My trainer has so many new riders that all seem to come out at one time and with only 3 lesson horses will sometimes use other orses in training. The funniest thing is that she can put a beginner with only a few lessons and he will just trot around like he has done it his whole life (That is once they get him moving, as he is really lazy). He just put his head right where it is supposed to be and tromps around the ring like an old school horse. If only I could turn him better we would already showing over fences.

JB
Jul. 28, 2001, 07:57 AM
Won2Keep, I will join you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Rio is still in the w/t stage, with lots of stops in the middle. "trot" is used loosely, as many times it's little more than a really fast diagonal walk. Steering? Ha. Straight line? I don't think so. Rubber neck? Anytime! He is, however, teaching me a few things: I must sit up in the saddle or else when he goes trot-trot-trot-trot-STOP I will end up as earrings. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif He has just started to get a clue that leg means move foward without me having to add voice and/or taptap with the whip. Cantering is not even on the menu this year.

Merry
Jul. 28, 2001, 08:34 AM
I love the lunge whip chasing scenario. Fortunately, we take the lazy route now and ship our babies out to a local training ranch that has a round pen. So, after only about 2 weeks, they understand all about going forward and shifting gears. I know, we're cheaters! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

As for the cantering issue: Don't get me started, don't even get me started...*sigh*. Barbie, the Hanoverian Cow Beast (aka "The Flying Couch") is just now getting the idea of cantering in somewhat of a straight line, at somewhat of a steady pace. I no longer have to pop her with the crop at the instant I ask for the canter with my leg. Finally, we're passed the "leg/whack/cluck, canter... strung out/balance/break... leg/whack/cluck, canter... crooked/straighten/break... leg/whack/cluck, canter..." You get the idea. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

headsup
Jul. 28, 2001, 09:15 AM
Anyone else ever notice that when they are scared all four feet MUST come off the ground at the same time? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif or that they must become gumby-like when first introduced to shadows(or in the case of some of mine, several intros to shadows LOL) as we all know the shadows are like black holes and are yet another greenie-eater.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

::shaking head:: ::sighing:: ::trying to remember last time I was on something made::

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry
Jul. 28, 2001, 03:39 PM
I showed the coolest older TB for 3 years. I won so much on him. It was a joy to study the course and just plan a winning strategy, instead of fretting like I do with a greenie. "Oh crikey, I'll need a lead change there. Oh blast, I'll never get him into THAT corner and still make my counts coming down the line..." /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Riding/showing a greenie really makes you appreciate the horses with a lot of good miles on them, huh?

But there's no challenge! We want challenges! Remember our motto: "We are amateurs. We ride baby greenies. We are insane." /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gayle
Jul. 28, 2001, 03:45 PM
Nothing like a nice muddy puddle for teaching bending! I can walk the PRINCESS as I like to call her into the puddle and make her stand there. Fine no problemo. Ask her to trot or canter through it and she does the most incredible bend and shuffles her feet to get around it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Guess I don't have a mudder.

Or how about the famous canter, canter, canter, canter, aaaaahhhhhhh! jump 12 feet sideways. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Someone laid a towel on the rail since the last trip by. Heaven knows towels have been known to eat horses!

Chicago
Jul. 28, 2001, 04:20 PM
Before Ardy (3 y/o OTTB) became lame, he developed a charming habit much like the "giraffe."

He tilts his head to the side, rolls his eyes around until the whites show, and gapes his mouth open as wide as it will go.

Then he thrashes his tongue around in circles and drools.

Oh, and did I mention that there is nothing medically wrong with him?

He also is developing his "dinosaur walk," in which he takes about one step every thirty seconds, and ignores all attempts to make him speed up. When asked to trot he does a lovely working pace, but then proceeds to do the "tongue tango."

Needless to say, I wuv him to death! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jumpsalot
Jul. 28, 2001, 06:10 PM
I had THE most awesome day. Lio jumped around a course . executing flying lead changes, doing the step at a lope & finding his own distances!!! The aforementioned longe whip carrying horse chaser could not believe it!! Nor could I. This was AFTER a newby came to the barn for an evaluation & after trying to wave to the crowds and sunfish while ANOTHER newby raced around the paddock (he was promptly brought in)proceeded to go STRAIGHT to work & jump a course , with perfect changes!! I come to find out while jumping the last line, oh, BTW, she has never jumped a course & has only done simple changes!! Well- I now want a customer who needs a drop dead gorgeous mare , who moves great & jumps great! Of course I am looking for ponies now- not horses- go figure.
Anyway- sorry for the bragging, but I wanted others to know that there IS hope & we CAN overcome!!

JRG
Jul. 28, 2001, 06:51 PM
If there is one thing in this world I can do is make a mudder, so Gayle send here to me.

Yesterday, after all the rain my friend was astonished that I galloped my horse around and hit every mud puddle and still get my lead changes. So you could say we had a good day.

You gotta love the mud! While everyone is skirting mud puddles, I am the one that says "Bring it on". Just something about it. Nice sunny day and I don't know what to do with myself. Anyone else get like this or am I just a freak?

Justice
Jul. 28, 2001, 09:22 PM
Ooooh - been in that club and I must say, reading your post made me realize just how far the greenie has come! One of my particularly fond memories is one of the first times I attempted a canter on Justice. I remember remarking, gosh, he's really on the forehand, isn't he? - and then having him show me he could go down even farther - TO HIS KNEES! Very Scary.

At least he doesn't fall down any more. . .much. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chef, I must confess - he did learn a new trick last week. I cantered off a gymnastic and said whoa right before I was going to ask for the change. He was about to trot so I put my leg on and said "hey!" - next thing I know he has jumped the bank (the barn has a 2-tiered grass bank at the end - Jade impressed us all by jumping it instead of halting after a line when she was a baby). Just as I was realizing what had happened, he popped right up to the second level. I thought he'd be panicked (I was!) and he whipped his head down and I prepared myself for a huge buck. False alarm - he just wanted to eat the grass /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Beezer
Jul. 29, 2001, 09:38 AM
Won2Keep. . . I'll join your "Just Broke Support Group"! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tigger says he'll join, too. He's had innumerable ailments (Oh, shut up, Merry! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ), so he's not as far along as others in his peer group.

So we, too, weave, bobble, drift in/drift out, twisty head, gape mouth, lose all focus and attention to detail.... Oh, we're there, we're doing that. Right now, we're learning itsy-bitsy leg yields -- a few steps off the rail, then leg yield (well, *our* version of it, anyway /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ) back to the rail. Tigger finds this so very, very odd. His take: If you want to go to the rail, we can just TURN and get there MUCH faster. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Baby steps. Isty-bitsy, teeny-tiny baby steps. That's what I tell myself every time I climb aboard. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Merry
Jul. 29, 2001, 11:05 AM
Sounds like some of these greenies need a few rides in a flash noseband... and I think Tigger needs his tightened up, ahem! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Yesterday Barbie, the West Coast 3 yr. old (aka "Barbie Cow", "The Hanoverian Cow Beast" or "The Flying Couch") was escorted through her first little, weeny gymnastic. It consisted of a trot pole to a small x, then 18 feet to a set of standards with 2 poles laying on the ground, sort of like an oxer but with the poles ON THE GROUND. I got this from a GM clinic.

First we worked on trotting through a series of simple cavaletti, which she does great. Then we started. The trot pole and X were fine, but hop over/across the 2 ground poles? Ha!It was as if I was asking her to jump across a pit of vipers. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif So I regressed to walking her through the exercise 4 times. Each time, she had to leap over the parallel ground pole. *sigh* But I must admit, our afternoon concluded with her finally trotting nicely through the exercise. Wow, talk about a slow study! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

rory
Jul. 29, 2001, 11:21 AM
DF, my guy is sound again, so hopefully yours isn't far behind. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Justice, my greenie (not so green anymore, but it wasn't so long ago!) used to fall ALL the time. Gave a whole new meaning to "drop him on his face"! I sure did. Many times. Talk about being on your forehand - we'd both eat dirt! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I guess he had no concept of self-preservation? Talk about being the first dinner!!!!

Catwoman
Jul. 29, 2001, 01:25 PM
Won2Keep, I'll join your support group. Jake is four but we had some problems last year, so he has just been broke this year. He has had a good trainer, and I am just starting to ride him now. He walks, trots, canters, leg-yields, and goes over poles. I am so glad to hear all these stories so I'll know that when problems come up I won't be alone. At this point, I just can't believe this wonderful horse is mine.

The cow/coyote story was funny. We had a plane buzz the ring the second time he was in it (with his trainer on). He didn't even react. Five minutes later a pickup came in with a dog in the back, and he was sure it was going to eat him.

Merry
Jul. 29, 2001, 04:38 PM
Go ahead. Ask me how much fun I had. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SoEasy
Jul. 29, 2001, 05:15 PM
So, Merry

How much fun did you have?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

(or should I also ask for the Beezer version, as the contrast is sure to liven up my Monday morning at work?) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Peggy
Jul. 29, 2001, 05:27 PM
Going forward and then backwards past the same person's back gate about about ten times--"hi Denise...bye Denise..." I can't remember what the horse-eating monster was, but I do remember that it was the day I looked at my watch and figured that we were 10 minutes from home. An hour later, we were home. Estimating a time of arrival on a baby greenie is about like trying to do the same on a trip that involves the 405.

One day I went out with a friend. This kind person devoted and hour or so every Friday to escourting us on the trail. Somehow we ended up on a hill above the trail. There was about 15 feet of planted slope to get back to the trail, but the horse would not go back down. Instead, he just did a 180 everytime I tried to face him down and went back the way he came. Meanwhile, I am looking at the sprinkler heads and wondering when he was going to slice a tendon. Fortunately, the planted area belonged to the city and not some irate homeowner. I kept asking my friend for suggestions, but she just kept telling me that I was doing great.

I had about a 30-40 minute trail ride to get to lessons, so he had to learn. And he did.

LaurieB
Jul. 29, 2001, 06:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peggy:
I looked at my watch and figured that we were 10 minutes from home. An hour later, we were home. Estimating a time of arrival on a baby greenie is about like trying to do the same on a trip that involves the 405.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL Peggy! I've done that, the first time I took Tess out away from the barn/ring by herself. It wasn't even really a trail ride. All I wanted to do was walk down the lane, pass between two pastures, go up a hill, make one circuit of our grass ring and walk back. The first half of the trip took about five minutes and I thought this was going to be the quickest ride in history. Famous last words.

There was a hose across the lane, which hadn't caused any problems on the way out but which apparently turned into a mare-eating hose on the way back. Bear in mind, we were on our way
back to the barn. Forty-five minutes later we were still trying to get across, or over, or around, or through. Finally she jumped it like it was a three foot oxer. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Merry
Jul. 29, 2001, 07:19 PM
You see, I was inspired by another thread that praised the benefits of taking your show horse out on the trails for a mental break. Ha! I spit on your mental breaks! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif How about a mental break DOWN? /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Hammie really thought he wanted to be in front until something would scare him. Then he did his impression of a horse wearing cement overshoes and froze in place. No amount of urging was successful. Then Beezer would amble by on her ancient ex-jumper, and Hammie would get brave again, so he'd march back up to the lead. Then he saw lawn furniture and decorations where someone had just had a birthday party in their front yard. That rated about a 7.0 on the Baby Greenie Spook-o-Meter...

I have a show next Sat & Sun. I kept thinking, "And this is benefitting me how???" /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Lord Helpus
Jul. 29, 2001, 07:30 PM
It is benefitting you by giving you practice at urging forwad a horse who is frozen to the ground. With such valuable practice you will learn which of the 5 possible options available to him he is likely to choose when he becomes unfrozen (I am assuming that "down" is not a viable option -- only forward, back, left, right and up are potential avenues of escape).

Such knowledge is imperative if you happen to be mounted when the color guard for the opening ceremonies of the Sat. matinee comes cantering by.

Been there, done that. I have never had a horse back up so far, and so fast in my life. We ended up back at our stall when they were calling for us in the ring. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Royal Blue
Jul. 29, 2001, 07:40 PM
Saturday during my lesson my boy was on once again. After Wednesday's sit down with the trainer where she told me how perfect my horse was during that days ride I thought it would be weeks before a repeat performance. Boy was I wrong, we got all canter departures when cued & correct leads. Took all fences (even with me totally all over the place), I even took him over a little line for the first time. He was so great & took everything normal height (not 6 feet) and even went straight on his own. And the best part is that my little 15.1hh paint got the numbers so easy even with me riding him /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I was so excited that I couldn't see straight. Well sorry for rambling but I am just so happy with my boy /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Beezer
Jul. 29, 2001, 09:29 PM
There are six little words that, when Merry speaks them, strike dread and -- yes -- SHEER TERROR in my heart: "Let's go on a trail ride!"

Somehow, she has this selective memory that kicks in right AFTER the last trail ride.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Hm. The party ornaments. Well, after I asked Merry to kindly remove her horse from MY LAP /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif , we had to walk past the horrors of it several times -- because, apparently, once was indeed not enough for Merry. The Stuffed Horse and I then proceed to watch Hammie do the hoochie-coochie across the street (we were the traffic cops, doncha know, who held up the oncoming drivers), only to be moaned at for not being "in front" as an appropriate pony horse should. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course, we'd no sooner GET in front than Hammie would be climbing up Miz Hoy's hinney. She was not amused. And he left such *lovely* spit tracks all across her rump from where he slimed her with his mouth.

Miz Hoy and I had a very nice outing. About the only thing that really bothers her is trash cans ... I can only imagine that she was attacked by a rogue one as a foal. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Fortunately, that was about the ONLY thing that didn't bother Hammie. (Don't even get me started on the whole feral chicken episode!)

I kept hearing this strange whimper from Merry, though: "He's not listening to me ... he's not paying any attention to me...." /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif And I'm thinking: "This is different HOW from any other time??" /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Ah, yes. There goes Hammie on a trail ride with Merry on his back. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Beezer on Jul. 30, 2001 at 12:37 AM.]

headsup
Jul. 30, 2001, 06:12 AM
I am taking it very slow with one greenie...silly worrying horse. We started out with non painted x rail on non painted standards. No biggie. I thought, okay he's okay with this. After a couple of those for a few days I venture to the colored poles/standards. Duh...what was I thinking /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I mean, did I really think it would be that easy? Shame on me... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I had totally forgotten that it's the colored poles that bite you as you jump across them /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif After a week of schooling ending with a few x rails each time, we are now up to the natural x rail, 2 colored x rails and a flower box /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Who knew that an 8 inch flower box could be jumped at 4'0? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Merry
Jul. 30, 2001, 09:02 AM
Yes, Pam, as you can see by my sister's post, I experienced all 5 of the suddenly accelerated positions on Hammie's trail ride. I appreciate your input! Which chapter of the manual gives full instructions on baby greenie trail rides? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Royal Blue: So, you're making progress. Don't leave the rest of us in the dust, though!

Headsup: congrats on your success! Jumping anything new is very exciting, you know! (By the way, a slightly "looky" horse usually makes the most stylish hunter and the most careful jumper). /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And for today's entertainment, Beezer shall be forced to sit astride Barbie, the Hanoverian Cow Beast. Ha-ha! Let's just see how much she enjoys THIS experience! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Chef Jade
Jul. 30, 2001, 10:38 AM
Mu ha ha ha....

I have just returned from my trainers and brought with me one of her medieval torture device - looking training tools (don't worry - looks worse than it really is.) Grace has no idea what is in store for her... Tonight we WILL learn lead changes! The fact that she does a perfect right to left change but the concept is totally lost on her going the other direction blows my mind. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Please note: I save all my major schooling rides for Monday nights when there are no lessons going on. I fear that one day we will take out another rider if we don't have sole use of the arena. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Merry
Jul. 30, 2001, 07:16 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I believe that with the Hambola Virus it's the right to left lead that he becomes the most resistant, and therefore most demonstrative (i.e. he, uhm, occasionally kicks out at my leg just before he changes... or not).

On another note: Beezer rode the 3 yr. old, "Barbie Cow", and it was the cutest thing you've ever seen! I swear, I've done such a good job (patting self on back now). /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Barbie (Hanoverian and Trakehner) is just this squat brown marshmallow with a white face and a silver tail. But man, can she move! I shant be riding against her in any hack classes... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Bumpkin
Jul. 30, 2001, 07:20 PM
So is Barbie the future A/O, A/A or A/A Jumper for Beezer?
Or is she alas, for sale? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Beezer
Jul. 30, 2001, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumpkin:
So is Barbie the future A/O, A/A or A/A Jumper for Beezer?
Or is she alas, for sale? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barbie is safe from sale (or so we're told) ... she is one of the three remaining (i.e. unsold) children of QHSM's favorite daughter -- that would be her lovely mare, Las Vegas, who died last year. So Hammie, Barbie-Cow and Orphan April are not, QHSM claims, for sale.

Of course, should someone happen along with a wide-open checkbook.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Alas, I "fear" that Barbie has *hunter* written all over her. So, too, does April. This is not a bad thing ... it just means that Beezer must not divert from her fitness/weight-loss routine, lest she not cut "the look" of the hunter ring. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif (Very unlike Merry, Beezer was not blessed with the metabolism of a bird or cursed by digestive woes; she did, however, somehow get the linebacker build our football-playing brother did NOT get. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif )

Now, Tig ... TIG! There is Beezer's hope for a FUN jumper. But given his penchant for self-destruction, Beezer worries that he'll become her next lawn ornament/meadow magnet long before his time.

Paddys Mom
Jul. 31, 2001, 06:58 AM

As for the cantering issue: Don't get me started, don't even get me started...*sigh*. Barbie, the Hanoverian Cow Beast (aka "The Flying Couch") is just now getting the idea of cantering in somewhat of a straight line, at somewhat of a steady pace. I no longer have to pop her with the crop at the instant I ask for the canter with my leg. Finally, we're passed the "leg/whack/cluck, canter... strung out/balance/break... leg/whack/cluck, canter... crooked/straighten/break... leg/whack/cluck, canter..." You get the idea. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have just started riding my stable owner's 4 year old QH mare and you just described us! Her walk makes her look lame - long stride right leg, short stride left leg. The owner asked me if she was off, but I explained that if I constantly give her leg at every step she walks with rhythm.

She actually trots beautifully...well okay JOGS beautifully - she was started Western Pleasure. When I post, she does the giraffe thing until she relaxes again. Anytime we come off the rail at a trot, she reverts to her jog.

Cantering is as you described. Cue with leg, ignore, cue with crop, lunge forward onto forehand, fall inside, fall outside (what's straight?), break to trot. Sometimes, for variety, gallop like mad - who needs balance when you're going fast??!!

Oddly enough, she can sidepass, leg yield, turn on the forehand, turn on the haunches, and whoa like a champ.

Justice
Jul. 31, 2001, 07:47 AM
What torture device is that? If it works I must try it!!! I think Jade got all of the perfect lead changes in the family. . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Chef Jade
Jul. 31, 2001, 08:29 AM
When torture devices (aka training gadgets) are implemented methodically, occasionally, and with discretion - they actually work!

Grace did several perfect changes her good direction (for fear of the wrath of the horse toturing device) and then did some changes her bad direction...late - but better than never! YAH!! I probably could have tried it a few more times until they were perfect but I didn't want to overschool them.

Justice - I am afraid that this device won't work for Justice - he was born with one in his brain... It was the quickstop.

Grace's problem was that when I asked for the change with my outside leg, she would drop her inside shoulder and basically run around on her forehand making a change impossible. As soon as I had air brakes, when I applied my leg and she dropped her shoulder, I gave her a quick snap with the quickstop, she rocked back, I asked her again, a viola - a lead change!

DMK
Jul. 31, 2001, 08:45 AM
OK, I put shoes on the newbie late last week, and put him back into a work program (much to his shock and dismay, I am sure). On Saturday I lunged him, and he was quite a handful, but I pretty much expected that. All things considered, he was pretty darn attentive, and only had to blow off steam after every 5 minutes of obedience. I have been occasionally lunging him over the past few months just to try and impress upon him that there is some structure in his life, but mostly I left him and his wussy barefoot TB feet alone /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I was pretty impressed that he mostly retained every lesson we were taught. Except for the one where you try to kick Mom's head off for in the "opening maneuver" of the lunge to the right performance (his previous owner free lunged him, so he never got an opportunity to learn that this would be considered "very bad," but he is starting to figure it out now, as he gets yanked halfway off his feet every time /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).

Sunday I had a wild hair and threw the saddle on him instead of a lunging surcingle, and took my chaps up to the ring with me. Figured if he showed promise, I'd hop on. He lunged like he had been in training for weeks, so of course, I hopped on. Hopped... no, he is every bit of 17' hands and it is NOT due to withers. I am not short and I had to crawl up that mountain! He was a wonderful boy (except for the part where he has no steering - how exactly does a horse manage to have 5 starts and NOT have any semblance of steering? Rhetorical question, I know! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ). Oh, but as I said� what a good boy - nice lovely neck stretches at the walk and trot, and the head only went sideways 50% of the time, and the few strides of canter were rhythmic, balanced and showed a hint of engagement. Oh happy day!!

On to Monday. Full of dreams and enthusiasm, I trudged up to the ring again - saddle on, and chaps optimistically on and zipped. Yup, 5 minutes of lunging, and I'd hop (climb) on. Well I did hop on after 5 minutes, but I forgot all about how it isn't about Day One with a greenie after a layoff (or any TB after a layoff /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ). It's really about Day Two... Oh yes, we did our imitation of a horse who was more closely related to a giraffe than another equid, had no rhythm, no steering (well that we knew), no ability to travel in a straight line, and possibly might have had his head directly in front of him for possibly 2 seconds during the entire ride.

It's possible that this might have had something to do with the fact that I turned out every single horse in the barn BEFORE riding him, but I'm not sure /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Must expirement...

OnceAThief
Jul. 31, 2001, 09:04 AM
I went out at some obscene hour (a whopping 6 am, but take pity, I'm a college student so that's early!) to work with Greenie #1, William. He's been doing wonderfully the past few days - he's really catching on to driving, has started to pick up on voice commands, and has thankfully stopped trying to jump out of the (very tall) round pen every chance he gets.

I ponied him down to the racebarn, where the pen is - noting that he's forgotten how to pony in the last 23 hours, since he is now more interested in Nautical's butt than any normal gelding should be - and tossed him in the pen. Whooo was he off! A smart owner would have linked that back to his weird hind leg thing he was doing in the stall a lot faster, but oh well. I guess he got body slammed out in the pasture last night - I hope so, at least. No swelling, no heat, just a weird stretch every 30 minutes or so, so I'll keep checking him.. poor guy.

On to Greenie #2 - his new saddle is still safely locked in the post office, so I had to use my old one on him. Feeling sorry for the narrow boy, I decided to "take it easy with him." Ahahaha!! He was evil - not only is he still a little gimpy (per the vet's suggestion, I'm to be Mean Owner and ride him through it, as it gets better with constant work) but he was wired for sound.

The most insulting part was when he was convinced the dog next door was going to eat him. My horse couldn't be afraid of something remotely scary like a Mastiff or a Pit Bull. Nope, a Yorkie. A frigging yorkie brought my big, tough 16h+ race horse to tears. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I was embarassed for both of us.

So, today was a total wash for greenie-dom.. maybe tomorrow..

-------

Merry
Jul. 31, 2001, 09:24 AM
Makes me feel like I might actually be over the hump on Hammie and... oh, wait, Barbie still has to confront lead changes and actually-- eventually-- canter over an obstacle with a rider aboard. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif That seems so remotely far off at this point.

And now, a brief reflection on that common malady of greenies, "The Giraffe Syndrome":It appears most of our babies, save for Justice, ahem, who appears to be blessed with the perfect hunter under saddle frame, are given to spurts of imitating a giraffe. Why do they persist in this habit? I know, they hollow their backs and raise their heads as both an evasion and as a way to sightsee. But why don't they just STOP IT!If I wanted to look at giraffes I'd go to San Diego's Wild Animal Park! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

headsup
Jul. 31, 2001, 12:11 PM
Yes, we have conquered the flower box and the colored rails....so a new twist must be brought in to keep our rides "lively" LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Greenie has decided (as described on page 53 of greenie manual) that a buck and neck twisty thing must happen after each x rail. Not a real buck but just enough to get me fixing the buck so he can do the twisty neck thing LOL.

::scratching my head and hoping someone sends me a horse that's made soon:: /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LaurieB
Jul. 31, 2001, 12:24 PM
Okay, here's a story from when I was teaching my greenie to jump (a year ago now.) She was sooo delighted by the opportunity to fly through the air--over, it should be mentioned, an approximately 12" crossrail--that she would land bucking and galloping.

I was supposed to be stopping straight. Heck, I was supposed to be stopping anywhere I could get stopped. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Our ring wasn't fenced, but there was a barn along one side. Finally my trainer said, "stop trying so hard to pull her up, just let her hit the barn" thinking, of course, that she'd never do it.

Next fence: wheee! buck, play, toss head, scamper, sidle, snort, THUNK! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Did we learn anything from this? I think not. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

[This message was edited by LaurieB on Jul. 31, 2001 at 08:14 PM.]

DMK
Jul. 31, 2001, 12:28 PM
I know that horse LaurieB!!

I used to think that if I let Robbie run into enough trees, he would choose to go around them. I think not. He was nicknamed "Baby Huey" for good reason /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

headsup
Jul. 31, 2001, 12:34 PM
so wait....did them running into something make them stop? LOL... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

FirstCry
Jul. 31, 2001, 12:45 PM
Wish me luck - Tonight I get to ride Stanley agian. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Lets see if we can get that lead from right to left. Of course he does left to right perfect. I think thats just imbred in all greenies just to be a pain. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Ill post tommorrow if I'm still walking on the outcome. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lord Helpus
Jul. 31, 2001, 12:59 PM
I would watch that "yanking half way off his feet" if I were you. 2 months ago I was lunging Sophie Moose (she of the "abscess from hell" --4 months and $7000 and counting...) Actually I was not really lunging her, I was trying to graze her and she insisted on lunging herself... But I digress.

At one point she decided to leap into the air. In mid leap, she changed her plan and decided to buck/kick out at me. I decided a good yank was in order and proceeded to execute said plan. Problem was, I flipped her flatter than a pancake. She hit the ground with 4 legs straight out horizontally, rib cage acheiving touch-down first. WHOOOOMMPPHHH!

The air was quickly expelled from her lungs and she just lay there for a minute, glassy eyed. With heart in throat I went up to her and asked her to rise. She struggled up, hung her head and coughed deeply several times. Then looked around as if to say: "What 18 wheeler did I just get run over by?"

Fortunately, that episode did not have long lasting ill effects. But, be aware -- it is surprisingly easy to flip a 17 hand horse. I never would have believed it before that day. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

LaurieB
Jul. 31, 2001, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by headsup:
so wait....did them running into something make them stop? LOL... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once, anyway! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry
Jul. 31, 2001, 05:22 PM
Oye, the stopping in a straight line... or just stopping... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I've resorted to putting a pair of orange caution cones about three strides after my gymnastic exercise as sort of visual markers to me that, "Hey lady, time to put on the brakes!" It works, but my arena sort of resembles an airport runway. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Lord Helpus: Is flipping a Sophie Moose akin to tipping a cow? I'm so glad she's okay! I still remember her photo that you posted. Is she under saddle yet? What's she like? (Other than BIG?)

Chef Jade
Jul. 31, 2001, 05:42 PM
I am not so against knocking a little sense into them now and then. I am sure Sophie learned her lesson - and the best way...since she will now associate kicking with being knocked to the ground.

Our groom recently reported that while turning Jade out in the round pen (trainer was at show so this was her only form of exercize) she fell flat on her face. Knowing she was OK - I just had to laugh. It was perfect! Sometimes she goes into a
trance (trainer has aptly named it "Jade-Land") where she freaks and all sense of self (and rider) is lost. I am hoping she knocked some send into herself as well. Better just her than her AND me going down next time she is in Jade-Land!

Lord Helpus
Jul. 31, 2001, 06:57 PM
Merry, SM is almost recovered from the abscess from hell. So she is on turn out for 2 hours morning and night (when she has eaten her fill she starts to run --- and pull shoes -- so she comes in until she is hungry again). Somehow she got a 1/4" cut on the inside of the bad leg. It swelled up like nothing I have ever seen.....

So now we are nursing that. I don't know if she will ever get a saddle put on her. SIGH.....

And I am starting to think she suffers from terminal stupidity. She is definitely intellectually challenged. Not a trait I normally look for in a riding horse. She may go back through the sales this winter...... SIGH....

DMK
Jul. 31, 2001, 07:31 PM
Perhaps I exaggerated a wee bit, but I do make sure his hind end isn't pointed toward my head!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

He did manage to do exactly as you described though - I lunged him out in the field, and he decided to do a buck-fart-bolt, on what turned out to be a slick spot. Went down like a ton of bricks, got up like a cat though.

Also, now that I think of it, the first time I turned him out in the big field, it was a tad wet, he went roaring to the back 40 (uphill), then roaring back to the gate (downhill) and at the last minute he decided to make a sharp left. That's technically not a good plan on wet clay. Yup, had a horse slide about 20 feet down the hill, to end up mostly under the fence and got up with nary a scratch. The good news is the NEXT time he came roaring back down the hill, he elected for a mincing trot when he got about 50 feet from the gate, so at least we know he has a learning curve.

On the other hand, maybe I should worry about this potential hunter who spends so much time ON the ground!! And we won't even discuss racetrack superstitions about horses that walk away from an accident/event that should have caused an injury, and they don't have a scratch! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Merry
Jul. 31, 2001, 09:12 PM
Hmmm... so, we have a few candidates for the "Trainable Mentally Challenged" award? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hey, I can say that. We raise warmbloods. They'd all get voted off the island. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Applesauce
Jul. 31, 2001, 10:21 PM
My dumblood, Caleb, has managed to get himself cast TWICE against the round bale feeder!! You'd think he would have figured out that when the urge to roll strikes, not to do it smack up against the feeder not once....but TWICE!!!

/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

At least he wasn't hurt and THANK GOD I was home both times and heard him out there banging on the thing for help. My very smart and a few years his senior Quarter Horse, Jax, looks at him like, "DUH! You are such a DOPE!" I think Jax actually rolled his eyes at Caleb! LOL

~Courtney~

JRG
Aug. 1, 2001, 02:35 AM
Doesn't that always seem to be the way? You work really hard, feel like you are getting some progress then BAM lame for some reason or another.

Knock on wood, we just came back from a slice the coronet now it is a waiting game untill it grows out. But this has been the most recent of the issues. But I fixed his wagon. Now he goes out in the pasture by himself so he can't get into any trouble. He is such an instigator. I have invested in bubble wrap, and will be the only one at our new barn with rubber up the walls.

Merry
Aug. 1, 2001, 10:26 AM
JRG: Hammie had a sliced coronet band on his front foot, too. But it happened when he was just two, so it's long since grown out. But it did leave a funky permanent scarring of his hoof, even when it did grow out. But hey, like he was going to be a strip horse, anyway. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Today's adventure: Hambolarama gets bitted up in the chambon and lunged. Oh yeah, that'll be fun.

FirstCry
Aug. 1, 2001, 11:47 AM
Well, I didn't ride Stan, apparently, my trainer has decided I need to get on a REAL greenie. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Ranni (a mare) has been saddle broke for about 3 months. Shes is 6 years old but had alot of hoof problems as a baby, that she couldnt be ridden.

So, Joy of Joys, I get to ride her. Actually, she was a complete angel. Did the giraffe thing only once or twice. Very willing to move off my leg, amazing she responds to leg pressure the correct way as opposed to stopping dead like they are stuck to the ground. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Still working on the bend thang. Didnt quite understand what I wanted, but finaly got it. And get this ..... Drum roll please.....

Just for shits and giggles I wanted to see if she would do a lead change, and guess what, SHE DID, perfectly front and back - AT THE SAME TIME!!! I got off immediately and rewarded her with hugs and carrots and LOTS of luvies. This mare is gonna be a winner, I can feel it.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dcm
Aug. 1, 2001, 01:09 PM
Ok, I had to do it. I could not resist. I bought a 3 year old.

It wasn't enough that last year, I bought my 14 yr old a 4 yr old, but I had to get another greenie. Well, I only own 1/2. It doesn't matter that we bought this one to sell next summer. I just had to have him.

I just don't think I can resist cute greenies any more. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OnceAThief
Aug. 1, 2001, 01:19 PM
I just got Swift's new, narrow-tree saddle from the post office. Let's hope that it'll be at least partly a magic bullet with his issues, so I don't have to come home after riding in a big nasty funk. Last time I rode, I started looking for vet schools and asked my dad if he'd still give me cash in exchange for a tax write-off. So, let's hope that prissy boy likes his narrow PDN /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-------

Merry
Aug. 1, 2001, 03:47 PM
I swear I'll never breed/buy another baby again. And then, on our illustrious trail ride, we came upon the most glorious palomino filly with three white socks! I'm sure it was at least part Arab, but it was an awesome mover in its pasture and just the cutest thang! I'm gonna make that whiney noise like a begging dog now... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Chef Jade
Aug. 1, 2001, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't throw the term "half arab" around here so loosely /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

What show will you be going to? Huntington Beach I hope!

Merry
Aug. 1, 2001, 04:55 PM
I'll be at a two-day San Diego-county show at Del Mar Horsepark (Showpark). We school on Friday. Usually warm-up day is fine. It's the next day, when everything is so much more exciting, and all the horses are all gussied up, that Hammie's mind starts to wander.

By Sunday afternoon I'm sure the palomino will seem mighty appealing for me to just tootle around on. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hunterprincez
Aug. 1, 2001, 07:20 PM
I was soo excited last weekend, my greenie finally put all his stuff together and actually went into the show ring. It has been quite a journey from our first show where he got loose, got kicked and I ended up holding him all day because he refused to tie to the trailer. He went to another show that had a round pen he could hang out in and got over his fears. Finally last weekend we took him to a show thinking he would go in some little classes and trot in canter out of the lines. Well, thursday when we schooled my trainer cantered a few jumps to see what he would do and he just hopped right over them like he has been doing them all along. So she canters into a corner and turns. Presto a lead change. The next day he went in and cantered his fist course and got a 4th out of 40 horses!! On sunday he got a 5th. I am so proud of him. I can finally see all this hard work has paid off. Now I only hope my foal will be this much fun to work with

Merry
Aug. 1, 2001, 10:09 PM
You must be on Cloud Nine!

Hammie: "Yeah, well Merry, don't be getting any great ideas about perfection appearing in your movie theatre anytime soon!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

lisa
Aug. 2, 2001, 03:57 AM
This should be my horses's nickname sometimes -- he likes to do things His Way!

He has a natural 14 ft. stride, so when he was still Very Green, we were using a 9-ft rail to a trot jump to teach him where to leave from. That was working well; he was respecting the trot rail, and then jumping the jump nicely. So then my trainer says, let's canter the fence. She moved the rail out a bit, and we rode down to it in a nice, slow canter. Well, I'll be darned if he didn't jump both the rail AND the jump!

So we know he can do the water... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Then, just the other day, finally able to start working on me again, we were doing a gymnastic line. It was set up as a trot in, one to a one to a one. (Did them a few weeks ago, too, and he was fine. He peeked a bit the first time down, but really concentrated.) So this time, he was a bit forward the first time, which was OK, 'cause I was a bit nervous, not knowing what to expect from him /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. So we went through a few more times, and he just kept getting stronger and stronger. (Yes, we had canter poles in the middle of all but the first one.) I said, he's bored and not respecting this height (2'6"). My trainer said, (rightly so) he needs to respect the fences no matter what height they are. So she gets on. Trots in nice and slow. Guess he thought, I'll show them, because he bounced the first one stride, and probably would have bounced all the way out if she didn't set him down on his hocks.

Sigh. Frank. That's his new nickname. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mindymoo
Aug. 2, 2001, 09:31 AM
It is so nice to hear that my greenie, is no different. She is great most of the time. When we do take her to a show, her tail sticks straight out, nostrils flair, and SCREAMS as loud as she can, for the first few minutes. I think she is confused and feels she is a stud at times instead of a little mare. My daughter gets a kick out of it as this is her little darling pony. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

FirstCry
Aug. 2, 2001, 01:02 PM
Merry - Yes you may borrow the lead changes for this weedend, but I want em back by Tuesday for my next ride on her. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

It was probably just luck that time, we will see. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TrickOfTheTrade
Aug. 2, 2001, 04:27 PM
Thinking about showing Trick Sunday in the Crossrails and if it goes well the Long Stirrup. Wish me luck!! Its his first show oevr fences so it should be intresting.

Merry
Aug. 2, 2001, 05:10 PM
My trainer just called me. "So, are you doing the baby greens... meaning I have to get there before breakfast?"

Me: "What? Are you insane? I am so out of that division, if only because of the start time!"

(I've opted for the low childrens/amateur adult rounds as my warm-up rounds before am/ad.).

I don't want this weekend to be anymore "trying" than necessary! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Lord Helpus
Aug. 2, 2001, 06:19 PM
Merry, Come on back to KY and you will be BEGGING for the division with the earliest classes. I do not know how I will stand it if I do not get section A of the pre-greens next week (and, if I do, I plan to be first int he ring at 8 am!)

I just walked outside at 9 pm and felt like I had dived (dove?) (diven???) into a warm swimming pool... I miss the lack of humidity in California!

OnceAThief
Aug. 2, 2001, 07:53 PM
I convinced a friend to get up early to play ring crew for me today, since I wanted to see how the Swift horse felt about xpoles now (we've false-started on his over fences training twice already due to my own scheduling issues.. horrible, I know).

Swift warmed up well on the flat, despite his narrow-tree saddle still being a little wide and squooshing down on him. He's developed a new trick of bearing down on my hands, which I think is his way of punishing me for bragging about my "uphill, naturally light in the bridle" horse.

We made our approach to a cross pole, at which Swift stopped. We came back around, and he did put in the effort to jump this time - but gave up halfway through and ended up on his knees in the middle of the fence. Poor guy. I got off, checked his legs, then walked him over and over the fence poles to assure him that they weren't going to kill him. He started to get brave, so I got back on...

Only to have him pull down the same cross pole with his back foot. Argh! It's not even a proper speedbump, it's more of a 3" "jump." He kept trucking back and forth over it, though, and went over it nicely.

Suggestions? Please? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif At least I caught everything on video, which I've been watching on a loop for the past 30 minutes.

-------
Swift's Injuries: 4 Major, 16 Minor, 9 XRays. Injuries to rider: 4. Rather embarassing accidents: 2.

Beezer
Aug. 2, 2001, 08:56 PM
Beezer has to chime in gleefully: She got to ride Barbie the Hanoverian Cow Beast today ... and hop over a coupla little, itsy-bitsy jumps. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Barbie is more of a Beezer horse, while Hammie just has "MERRY HORSE" written aaaaaaallllll over him. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And speaking of the Precious Bay Prince, Merry was moaning to Beezer earlier about how very, very naughty he was today. Beezer has an update: He's *still* in a foul mood. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif When Beezer was feeding, not only did she have to dodge two land shark attacks, but when she pushed on him to make him get out of the way so she could toss in his hay, he spun and kicked at her!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Methinks Merry will need to borrow more than lead changes this weekend.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Chicago
Aug. 2, 2001, 09:25 PM
Artimus is finally sound again, so I finally got to ride him. His leads were correct, his giraffeyness was minimal, and he trotted his ground poles like a pro.

However, he couldn't resist slobbering on my breeches as I picked his feet. I don't care. At least he's back among the sound for the time being.

Bad news: he's for sale. The camp I work for can't afford to keep delicate TB's who don't hold up to much work.

Anybody want a 16.1 hand chestnut OTTB with a big blaze who moves like a ballerina?

P.S. Thanks to everyone who wished me soundness! It worked!

Merry
Aug. 2, 2001, 09:30 PM
Oh swell. So this is how my lovely young beast is feeling the night before I ship out to a weekend show. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Today I reread parts of my Steinkraus book "Reflections on Riding and Jumping" on dealing with horses with difficult temperaments. He says to envision creating this little island of compliance. Well, I got voted off Hammie's island! He was doing fine until I wanted to finish with two lead changes. He kicked out at my leg before he did them. Gem Twist he ain't, so he got in trouble. I finally got two lovely ones, but man, is he "outspoken" or what? Nothing like a horse that telegraphs everything to the judge! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

And yes, Beezer looked very cute on the Barbie Cow. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Justice
Aug. 2, 2001, 09:36 PM
As Merry plans her adventure for Hammie's workout. . .

Today's adventure: Hambolarama gets bitted up in the chambon and lunged. Oh yeah, that'll be fun.

Somewhere, in a not too distant land, Emily is also preparing a game plan for Justice. . .

Today's adventure: Justice gets bitted up in the gaitmaster with his head held UP and lunged.

Yep - you guessed it - not so much fun. Poor little slice of pumpkin pie saw the gaitmaster coming and looked at me like, "All those nights you prayed for a greenie that was relaxed and wanted to carry his head low. I am the answer to that prayer. Why am I being punished?"

As I attempt to explain to him that head down is fine, ears lower than withers is not ideal - and apparently not conducive to lead changes - the poor little guy was looking at me with big Jade eyes as if he couldn't believe that I was the source of this torture (no matter how many times we do this he doesn't seem to think this is acceptable behavior on my part.)

Cris has a mantra for each horse that she starts, and Justice's was "I'm good. . .I'm good. . .I'm good." Methinks at this point it goes a little bit like this: "You're bad. . .you're bad. . .you're bad."

Please magic fairy, visit my greenie this weekend. I don't know how much more "training" either one of us can handle! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Chef Jade
Aug. 2, 2001, 10:33 PM
You mean he gave you the JADE eyes? (see attached photo)

Princess Jade had one of her usual days at the show today. Some lovely rounds (4ths in tough Pre-Green classes) a stop, a crash, and an uncontrolled run to an oxer. I was literally trying to PULL her out of the line to keep her from doing the oxer (after she spooked and neglected to pick her feet over the vertical potion of the line) but she was going. And when Jade is in Jade Land I have NO brakes and NO steering. SCARY! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

On a funny note...the warm-up ring is lined with mirrors. The Princess is so enamored with herself, i can hardly get around the ring. She wants to stop to admire herself! Then a horse entered the warm-up ring that was her spitting-image. She LOVED this horse (because it looked like her of course) My horse is so vain! I keep telling her "Pretty is as pretty does" but she doesn't listen - and she doesn't have to because she is the Princess! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bumpkin
Aug. 3, 2001, 08:11 AM
Elliot and I had a wonderful lesson last night.
I have a very understanding,good and humourous trainer.
It was really muggy out, not something you normally have in the PNW. By the end of the lesson I was beet red and steaming more than Elliot.
Elliot's new thing is to lengthen his stride, while he slightly pulls down/nudges on the bit and not change his beat when you come off the rail to go over a fence set on the diagonal.
He is lazy and slow anyways, which I do adore. But it presents a problem in that I need to push him on, and since I am admiring the slowness, I get stuck not hitting the distance correctly.
Also, I need to come off the rail later than I think we need to, so we get the strides correctly.
We then chip or take it too far back. Dear Elliot is a very confident jumper and takes care of us.

My trainer suggested someone inventing velcro breeches and saddles for horses like Elliot who jump their owners/riders out of the saddle.
Great style, but she said the judges don't like to see the rider hanging on for dear life, hahaha /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
She does tell me that he is going to be a wonderful Amateur horse though.
I am still so inspired and in love with this cute horse as we approach our first year anniversary. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FirstCry
Aug. 3, 2001, 12:17 PM
As Friday winds down here in the office, I wanted to wish all who are showing this w/e with their greenies good luck and happy leads (w/no kicking at Mommie, Hammie) /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Report back on Monday on how the shows went and I want to hear all the antics the spoiled rotten babies pulled on all of you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

HighEQ
Aug. 3, 2001, 12:38 PM
I have been riding babies since I was 16 and I have never come across this: a baby with no energy whatsoever. I mean, he sprints non-stop around his paddock, showing off beautiful movement at all 3 gaits, but when I get on, he acts like a 30 year old school horse. I'm talking spurs, stick...nothing. And the other thing he does, he'll spook out of nowhere and give no warning at all...no body stiffening, no pace increase, not even pricked ears. And these aren't small spooks, these are belly rolls with a 180 thrown in for effect. On the ground, he is the sweetest thing you'd ever want to work around with no vices. I've had him since he was a yearing and he's 4 now, doing crossrails. The canter departure is the worst....he ignores me completely. I could beat him with a stick until I was blue in the face and he IGNORES me! Very frustrating! Any suggestions? HELP!

JRG
Aug. 3, 2001, 04:17 PM
High Eq, go back and read the "leg spur, crop" part of the conversation we have been there. It will come, just mean it. When you ask for something and don't get the desired reaction-make it happen, leg spur crop what ever just don't let the horse get behind your leg.

Now for me. We had our lesson tonight, now we are working on stuffing more strides down the line. The threat tonight was "If you don't get five, I will ask for seven and we will be here all night." Neadless to say we ran a little over tonignt.....something about getting a big horse to do the small stuff is worse than getting a small horse to open up. I am tired.

Lord Helpus
Aug. 3, 2001, 05:40 PM
I need to brag about the Mikester -- he was a STAR today. We trailered for 90 minutes to this busy trainer's barn to have a customer look at him. He gets off the trailer, gets tacked up and walks into a ring, the likes of which he has never seen (people/horses/ many strange jumps). In 5 minutes he is trotting quietly and in another 5 he is cantering on soft contact. THEN we start to jump: a log jump, a roll top, a Westminster gate, a wishing well, another wishing well, [did I mention the ROLLTOP???] He never blinked. Never overjumped. Made all the strides down the lines. Made ever lead change.....

Conclusion: I am not asking NEARLY enough for this priceless gem of a horse. (The trainer knows it and is dying to get him. She is going to twist some serious arms to get parents to find the money. His price is going up quickly /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

It is days like today that make all the bad times worth it...... And if it were not so HOT here right now, I would lug Mikey to some local shows for mileage. But I am old. I do not do one day shows in the heat. I will no longer hold a horse for more than 15 minutes at a time and trailers are too hot to keep them in all day. So Mr. Mike will have to get mileage in his dreams.

Delighted: Re your post on jumping: I never jump babies until I have lunged them over verticals and oxers of 2'9" or so. If they are going to trip or need time to figure out their various body parts, I want to make sure they do it without me in the saddle.....

VTrikki
Aug. 3, 2001, 10:36 PM
I feel your pain.. the most recent pony project goes into a coma the moment the rider hits the saddle. you could take that magic wand they were talking about, hook to a large source of electricity and nothing would wake our wretched, i mean dear, pony.. until i found some rowel spurs, not western ones, little ones... ahh he is alive.. worked wonders, highly recomend them!!!

Merry
Aug. 5, 2001, 09:03 PM
Well, I'm thinking Hammie was channeling Jade, ahem, in my amateur adult eq/over fences class at Surf'n Turf (the San Diego Showpark show this weekend). I don't know what set him off, but all of a sudden he just took off with his ears back and tore down to this line! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I was thinking, "Aha, so this is what jumping at mach IV feels like." All I can say is, he just seemed really mad at me!Imagine that! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

But then, in the hack I got 3rd against some really nice horses (I'm always going head-to-head with these 2 from Chuck Esau's barn)and 2nd in the big eq. on the flat. So then I went into am/hunters, thinking maybe I didn't want to ride that wild beast, but he started on course and he was so lazy! I had to shush him down the lines! My changes were all late, like as I rounded the corners, but I still got a 6th out of about, oh, 87 rounds. (Hey, it seemed that way! Both rings went until dark both days!)

So why do I have such a schizo horse? How do I turn down the expressiveness? I'm so exhausted... /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Bumpkin
Aug. 5, 2001, 09:21 PM
Merry that is spelled GREENIE!!! hahaha
Elliot is perfect one day, totally ditzy the next.
Congrats on the nice weekend. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

geckoUBC
Aug. 6, 2001, 12:53 AM
I really need to borrow someone's flying changes. How about, say, permanently? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

My horse should not be eligible anymore to be classified as green, but somehow he is. He's 6 y/o and a Thoroughbred. I mean we're doing 3'6"-3'9" and he is great on the flat but then he suddenly reverts to his childhood and does something completely idiotic... like leaving out a stride in a 3 stride (NOT a nice experience) or the next day being so lazy that it's a huge effort to leave the ground over a cross rail. Does anyone else's greenie grunt when he leaves the ground over a 2' jump???? And how do you get them to shut up? It's not the greatest thing to have him sound like he's dying in the middle of an equitation class. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Aleesha

Bumpkin
Aug. 6, 2001, 06:56 AM
Elliot likes to grunt sometimes when I have to boot him into that lead change.
I think it is to let me know, just how much effort he puts into his changes for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif hahaha!!!

Chef Jade
Aug. 6, 2001, 08:28 AM
She goes in and has 2 perfect days in a row... that would be 6 rounds in a row! A new record! We were 1st and 3rd in the A/A's on Fri. and 1st and 2nd in the Low A/A's on Sat. Then she put in 2 fabulous Hunter Classic trips and we ended up second. (the judge said we would have won but she spooked a bit going to the first fence.... what a surprise!)

So Jade has saved herself again. She just knows that having a baby would ruin her figure for good. Now we need to start threatening her with the broodmare alternative earlier in the show. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bumpkin
Aug. 6, 2001, 08:30 AM
What is the difference between Low AA and AA?
All these new terms and classes I need to ask to learn /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Chef Jade
Aug. 6, 2001, 09:19 AM
The difference is 6" /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I guess they needed a division between the Sort/long stirrup at 2' and the children's A/A's at 3' so they created this one. Mr. Chef got a kick out of the fact I was competing against 8 year olds. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But we have regressed. Last year Jade and I were doing the Modified Jr/AM (3'3") to get us ready for the A/O's. Not anymore!

Anyplace Farm
Aug. 6, 2001, 09:22 AM
My guy cantered like a real live horse last night. He was actually somewhat balanced.

Some of you might remember my OTTB woes. Well, he's coming along so nicely now. I have someone longeing him for me on days where I can't get out. Makes alllllll the difference for me.

Janet
Aug. 6, 2001, 09:39 AM
I had my first fall off my greenie, Belle, this weekend.

My instructor had us canter in on an angle (to avoid the first fence in the line) to an in and out, and she just couldn't figure out what she was suppossed to do. Almost ran out, almost stoped, then popped over the "in" fence, putting me WAY off balance over her shoulder. We head toward the "out" fence, and she ducks out at the last minute, throwing me even further off balance.

I eventually realised that there was no way I was getting back in the saddle, and I had no control, so I stopped fighting to stay on and "made a ball".

I think it freaked her out more than me.

We tried again at a trot, and she was fine.

baywithchrome2
Aug. 6, 2001, 10:49 AM
Somebody came to look at my 4 year old. He's very natural over fences and low-key about the whole experience, so he can get complacent about jumping. Well, he came around to a 3'+ vertical (which he'd already jumped twice) and just never left the ground. Scary moment... crashed through the fence, fell to his knees and then did a face plant. My trainer rolled off to the side and Trevor jogged over to us as if to say "did you see what that jump just did to me!" Can laugh about it now b/c everybody was OK, but it does make your heart stop when they're on the ground like that. Best part... he jumped every fence after that in perfect form and actually paid attention to each fence. Babies...a rollercoaster ride of emotions.

Chef Jade
Aug. 7, 2001, 08:19 AM
Ah...you do have to love the roller coaster ride that the green ones put you on. Right now I am on on a double high. After Jade's successful show, I rode Grace who did some really nice lead changes BOTH directions! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Showpony
Aug. 7, 2001, 06:46 PM
I can relate!!

Mine did the same thing. She is really green and mostly trotting fences so... the first time customers come to see her she trots an X fine, comes around to a 18in. gate (that she has jumped plenty) and doesn't pick her feet up. She falls on her knees, crashes the jump and all I am thinking while my head is between her ears is "don't fall off!!".
Fortunately I stayed on and she was a good sport about it. It could have REALLY freaked her out.

I was so embarassed!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

JRG
Aug. 8, 2001, 04:18 AM
Showpony, she must have known you were going to try and sell her. That is the time they do all sorts of wierd things, in addition to commming up lame. It is almost like they have a sixth sense about that stuff.

Lord Helpus
Aug. 8, 2001, 05:37 AM
I had 2 horses "sold" and they are both lame. One I actually delivered and he came home the next day (I trust these people and know that they did not even ride him the first day -- they called at 8:30 AM on day 2 and were almost in tears....)

The other is sold -- pending vet check. Fortunately the buyers are out of town at Trader's Point this week because he has come up lame and I have only until Monday to figure it out before the vet check.

I just know that they hear the "S" word and start limping.....

Showpony
Aug. 8, 2001, 04:32 PM
YEP, I said the same thing!

Maybe I should post that on the "how I know my horse loves me" thread!

Schooling w/out customers there she is great then when someone comes to try her she acts like she can't get out of her own way. Huh? what? a jump?

So I KNOW my horse loves me because apparently she wants me to own her FOREVER!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Merry
Aug. 9, 2001, 09:03 AM
Ah yes, the rollercoaster ride upon the back of the greenies! I think they just tease you along by being good every once in a while just so you don't A) shoot yourself; B) turn to alcohol to alleviate the depression; C) take up raising birds instead.

What are the low A/A classes for? Those are the classes where you pull up your baby greenie because they're either scooting through the lines or pitching in the corners when you ask for a lead change. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I've decided I'd rather humiliate myself amongst my peers than amongst the professionals in the official Baby Green classes.

Pam: Here's hoping your sale horses stop loving you so much. You're just such a great home, they don't want to leave! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lord Helpus
Aug. 9, 2001, 07:21 PM
Well, I found out why Mikey was lame -- he had stepped on a hypodermic needle and it was into his foot 1.25".......

He had surgery today at Rood and Riddle (full anesthesia and the whole shebang -- they consider wire inside hooves a real emergency over there and go into high gear ---).

Right now it appears that the needle missed the navicular capsule and bursa (by about 1/8th of an inch, if that), so the tentative outlook is good. But the culture will take 2 days to grow, and only then will we know what kind of infection we are fighting.....

I have not given a shot in months and keep a really clean barn. So, it appears that the most probable place he could have stepped on a needle was when I took him over to the prospective new barn last Friday to be tried....

We found it because as I was lunging him for the vet, he suddenly went EXTREMELY lame and we stopped and looked and he had blown an abscess out the bulb of his heel... So we took x-rays and all of a sudden, there was the needle!

So, off to R&R (15 minutes away -- I am lucky) and within 2 hours, he is in surgery...

He is still there tonight. I may get to bring him home tomorrow. And then we start with the stall rest and changing packings (a hole has now been dug into his sole to let the abscess drain and to medicate the needle track adequately).

Somehow, I thought I was through with this last month from Sophie Moose. Well, at least I am getting good at abscesses -- especially the really bad and infected kind.....

Poor Mikey. When he went under he fell really hard-- despite 4 people trying to ease him to the ground. And then it is so undignified to have your legs put in hobble-type things and be hoisted up by your feet, all trussed like a chicken.....

What a day!

onelanerode
Aug. 10, 2001, 05:25 AM
awww!! poor boy! i hope he's doing better soon...
i have a sort of baby greenie story ... but i'm not sure if it counts cuz the mare i rode was like 22 or so at the time /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
we got her for free, and consequently don't know her history at all. she's a relatively easy keeper and was able to jump up to about 3' even in her 20s (and yea, we did have the vet out to make sure she was ok with doing that /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) well, she jumped much better out on cross-country type fences than in the ring - she's never much cared for our show-jumps and tends to do the run run run STOP!! thing or the run run run try-and-duck-out thing ... keeping her slow is a major challenge /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
but anyhow, my trainer had set up a line of verticals that were about 2'6" or so - big enough that she kind of had to rock back and use herself and not run over them (her preferred method /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ) well, we had done the line several times, and then my trainer moved the last one in a bit to make it a big 5 instead of the 6 we had been doing. she's naturally short-strided, though if she's ridden regularly w/ dressage work and lengthening exercises, she'll stretch right out and look lovely /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
she hit that 5 perfect the first time, and then got down into the corner and started hopping around and shaking her head back and forth - obviously much pleased with her old self /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif i thought my trainer was going to die laughing /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif she's such a silly old goose /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif but i love her!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Merry
Aug. 10, 2001, 04:30 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Oh my gosh, Pam! That's truly amazing, awful and fortuitous all in one helping! Who'd have thunk there was a foreign object in Mikey's foot? But the fact that it missed the bursa is very good news. Phew!

And my mom wonders why I consider getting insurance on Hammie... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Annie: I, too, have to keep reminding my baby to lengthen and stretch. He has a huge stride, but he's like a Gumby doll. He can really suck up and behind the bit and hollow his back and suddenly I'm on an 8foot stride! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Bumpkin
Aug. 10, 2001, 10:36 PM
I got Elliot insured and feel much easier. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

JRG
Aug. 11, 2001, 02:26 AM
Wow, how horrible just make sure the dressings are packed tight and clean. My hopes for a speedy recovery with no problems.

And I second it, Insurance for all the moaning we all do I consider it a small price to pay for piece of mind.

As for Parkers diary it goes like this.

It was hot, real hot the last few days. Mom has been comming up at really late hours to play with me. Sometimes I wish she would stay home.

Like last night. I know if I see that women in the middle of the arena, I am in for it. Well I saw her. Mom is now making me get real small and "collected", what is she thinking? Does she really thing that I can get that small, and know where I am supposed to put my feet. It was hard and I tried to fight her. All this time I have been the happy hunter now I have to work harder. But she did wash all the sweat of me so I was not as itchy and gave me some treats. So that wasn't so bad

Parker

Chicago
Aug. 12, 2001, 03:24 PM
I think Ardy is the opposite of whatever I expect...He'll probably get sound as soon as someone comes out to look at him. I think besides his usual issues, he has an abscess.

Silly me; I was thinking he'd be ready for his first schooling show at the end of August!

hunterprincez
Aug. 12, 2001, 08:33 PM
This is strange all this lameness, I took Count to the show on Thurs. He schooled like a champ. Fri. before his classes I go to lunge him and he is trotting around fine, I look down at my watch and when I look up he is lame! We scratch him and put him away. We can't find anywhere he is sore on his feet or legs. We got him out on Sat. and he is a little stiff but much better. By Sunday he is his normal fiesty self again. We suspect he twisted his ankle. Which stunk for the show but I am glad he is better.

DMK
Aug. 13, 2001, 07:05 AM
Lameness... must be contagious! Riverman actually had one of those breakthrough "I think I got it" rides last Friday (meaning he has figured out how to walk in a straight line between my legs with little assistance from my hands, and ALSO figured out how to try and back himself off at the trot. Not that he succeeded a lot, but he kept trying).

So of course he had to go put a stick in his knee so he could get 3 days off and make sure he forgot that ride!

Oh - and here's a link I meant to put up a while ago - it's an audio file, and might take a minute to play.

Dedicated to greenies everywhere... (http://www.huntersway.net/oh_my_god_i'm_green.htm)

PS - it seems to work much better with internet explorer, vs. netscape...

Merry
Aug. 13, 2001, 08:06 AM
T-shirts and sweatshirts with an obvious greenie horse on it, amid a pile of jump poles saying, "Oh my God, I'm green!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing that. It just totally made my day! I'll be laughing for quite some time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BustersMom
Aug. 13, 2001, 08:35 AM
Well, it has been a month since the Greenie meltdown and I thought I would give you all an update. To refresh your memory, our greenie had been progressing very nicely then went to Culpeper and wouldn't even make a hunter circle to even get to his first fence. We gave him a couple of weeks of light work then proceeded to the local circuit. For the last two weekends, Jumpsalot has ridden him successfully in the Low/Schooling/Baby divisions and has done rather well. He still requires a lot of leg. Don't know where or why his confidence left him but it seems to be recovering nicely. In the meantime the kid is riding a cute "packer" and having fun. It will probably be a couple more shows before we venture into the show ring with the greenie and kid. Want to make sure both are ready.

News at 11.

DMK
Aug. 13, 2001, 08:58 AM
Excellent idea Merry - I think they would go well with our Kermit The Frog embroidered saddle pads... You know, the ones that say "It's not easy being green" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Beezer
Aug. 13, 2001, 11:16 AM
OK, I want those saddle pads and T-shirts/sweatshirts. Who's gonna make 'em? I buy, I do not sew/craft. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DMK
Aug. 13, 2001, 11:49 AM
Beezer, I suffer from a similar problem...

FirstCry
Aug. 15, 2001, 11:16 AM
Beezer and DMK, add me to the buying not sewing class as well. I can barely even do a flower arrangemet without killing the flowers. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

DMK, I loved the parrot. Too funny /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I get to venture out again this Sunday with Stanley to the next show. I think I may have to put a order for an overnight delivery for one of them shirts for Sunday. It fits Stanley perfectly. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Had a lesson on him lastnight, what a complete and total A$$. Bucking around all the corners, head sideways ears pinned flat against his head. grrrrrrrrrrr. He better get over that crap by Sunday. Wish me luck and I will report back on Monday with the casualties

Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Beezer
Aug. 15, 2001, 03:03 PM
Hm. *MERRY* sews. And very well, too. I think I know what we non-sewers ... uh, does THAT ever not look right -- how about non-seamstresses?? ... need to do! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Bumpkin
Aug. 15, 2001, 06:11 PM
There is a joke in our house that if a shirt goes missing it must have lost a button.
Because I would rather stuff it someplace or toss it than have to sew.
My daughter on the other hand does try to sew little things once in awhile. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

DMK
Aug. 15, 2001, 06:30 PM
I have been known to pay obscene amounts of money for the dry cleaners to sew on a button myself, and I can think of at least two really nice blouses I would love to wear that I have NOT worn for about 2 years because gosh darn it, they are missing a button /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif They just sit in my closet waiting for the "button fairy" to visit... Apparently the button fairy is a lot like the lotto fairy, because she has never come calling /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Hey Merry!! When can we expect out Oh My God, I'm Green caps and It's not easy being green saddle pads?????

AAJumper
Aug. 15, 2001, 08:09 PM
I do not own a sewing machine and do not plan to buy one. Once, several years ago, a friend of mine who was the sewing queen was at my house. Her dog was with her and chewed through his lease in like 2 seconds (that is a whole other story!). So she looks at me and says "can I borrow your sewing machine?" My husband bust out laughing...he still loves to tell that story to this day!!! And then, to further tease me, he tells me that I need to be a little more like Mrs. Ingalls. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Yeah, right!!!

Merry
Aug. 15, 2001, 08:22 PM
First off, to Buster's Mom, congrats on making improvements! Remember: "One step forward (into the abyss of the show arena), two steps backward."

Buster says, "You know, it ain't easy being green!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, yes, I do sew, but only as a creative outlet. I constructed made-to-order pony dolls, complete with dresses and pantaloons, or huntcoats and trousers. One year, that's all I did from Halloween to Dec. 22. I made tons of $, but I haven't looked at the pattern since, LOL! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

As for the saddle pads, caps and sweatshirts... me thinks I could make use of the embroidery shop in town, but what do I do about the picture? Or how about caps that just say, "Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bumpkin
Aug. 16, 2001, 09:50 AM
I have no Baby Greenie news to report this week.
I have been home sick all week, and will miss my beloved lesson on Elliot tonight.
UGH /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
I hope I can get some riding in this weekend.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Our first show is at the end of the month, and I have not had a lesson in two weeks!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Entirely my fault.

serengeti36
Aug. 16, 2001, 10:09 AM
I would also wish for teh attention span. I have a saint under me, but he's still growing. When he was really a baby, we sat in the line up of a hack at a PSJ show (bigger than local, smaller than A) It was hot so everyone was standing in the shade of a tree that was in the ring waiting for teh announcment. My sweet baby reaches up and grabs a branch, begins tugging on it, making all of the branches of this large Live Oak sway, sending Special Hunters (read Special Ed) flying. Maybe it was Hopefuls (read as Dear God let my horse be what i think he can be) I can never remember teh names of classes.
marion

serengeti36
Aug. 16, 2001, 10:13 AM
I feel the need to wear my shirt that says upside down "If you can read this please put me back on my horse" Every time I'm headed to the ring. Once in the ring, we're okay but getting there, by God I could use the Roman army...
marion

Merry
Aug. 16, 2001, 10:19 AM
So, getting to the arena you need the Roman army?

Oh, serengeti, I so feel your pain! I'm okay in the warm-up ring, okay in the show ring. But the trip getting there is fraught with danger. Heaven forbid I should have to ride Hammie past an unoccupied golf cart or a group of port-o-potties! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

At the last show, he actually refused to go forward past a group of parked golf carts, so I spanked him. He stood straight up on his hind legs and hung there, for like 5 seconds!As soon as he came down, of course, he got another spanking, which immediately sent him forward and down the path without an argument. I was looking around for, I dunno, a "Well done!" or at least a "Wow! Did you see that?" But alas, nothing. But then, maybe that's a good thing... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BustersMom
Aug. 16, 2001, 10:35 AM
You are a kindrid soul. So many of your descriptions of Hammie could have been typed by me. This thread was a wonderful idea. It helps to know I am not alone.

Here in the South, we too sweat before 10:00 am! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

dcm
Aug. 16, 2001, 09:11 PM
We were up at the barn tonight, getting Rio clipped for the show this weekend, and my dtr decided to see if she could ride Shadow. Shadow is a 4 yr old ottb. We've seen him ridden by others, but my dtr has not ridden him herself. We've only had him a couple of weeks, and he last raced this past June. We learned a lot of things about Shadow tonight.

We learned that Shadow does not like the cross-ties. He kept moving around (back and forth, back and forth), but when you snapped a lead rope on, he stood still. He is also VERY ticklish. Could be that since he is so underweight it is exaggerated (he needs about 150 to 200 lbs). We learned that Shadow picks his feet up to be cleaned like a pro. My dtr no sooner stood up when he would pick the next one up for her. We learned that Rio's 50" girth does not fit at all. We used the 42" pony girth instead. I might be able to find our old 48", but I'm afraid it might be too big right now. We learned that Shadow needs a cob sized bridle and a bit smaller than 5". So, does any one know how to tell what size bit to get? I think I still have a 4.5" loose ring at the bottom of my dtr's old tack trunk. We learned that Shadow is very responsive to my dtr's leg, and that he bends very nicely. And Shadow's big floatie trot is smooth as butter, per my dtr. She mostly walked him, did some bending, then trotted once around the arena each way.

We also learned that Shadow loves to be scratched on his head. After riding, my dtr gave him some big scratchies all over his face and he just closed his eyes in esctasy. Awwwww......

One thing was a little weird: Shadow kept looking at the girth. He would stop and turn his head around and sniff at it. He did this several times. We figured that maybe it was pinching, or tickling him. Since he was so good for my dtr, she went ahead and dismounted. Once he was untacked, he didn't do it anymore. I did think of colic at first, but since he stopped doing it after removing the girth, then it was something else. Maybe a fleece girth cover is in order. I think I have one stashed away somewhere. Maybe since the pony mare was wearing it recently, he was looking for her! He does like the ladies, and sometimes acts a little studdish.

Just wanted to share. No one was at the barn, but us. It was so thrilling to see my dtr ride this baby. He is much more difficult than her Rio. Rio is mellow and wants nothing more than to please my dtr (so he gets more treats at the end, I think).

[This message was edited by dcm on Aug. 17, 2001 at 12:21 AM.]

Merry
Aug. 16, 2001, 09:29 PM
Good going, dcm! Are you sure Rio wasn't "sniffing" your daughter's foot in the stirrup? Or maybe the girth smelled like "Eu de Pony"? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dcm
Aug. 16, 2001, 09:36 PM
But Rio is the greenie my dtr has had for a year, Shadow is the "greener greenie".

Rio is becoming a pro at the local circuit.

Shadow doesn't know a durn thing, yet. But he's much braver than Rio. He is greenie project #2 for my dtr. She loves those babies. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lord Helpus
Aug. 17, 2001, 05:41 AM
DCM -- several important things you need to know about OTTB's:

1. They have never been crosstied. They are brushed in their stalls, tied to a rope in the center of the back wall. Introduce crosstieing slowly (I tie the far side and then hold the lead rope in my hand, switching crossties as I switch sides.) NOW is the time where you can teach him that crossties are either OK or to be feared for life. Go Slowly and do not let him feel constrained!

2. At the track all horses wear girth covers (so any skin fungus is not spread from one horse to another.) So he probably has rarely, if ever, had a girth put directly on him.

3. Grooms at the track use stiff brushes and it is a OTTB thing that they are very wary of being groomed. Start slowly and use only soft brushes, very gently. On my recent OTTB's, if I cannot get dirt off with a soft brush, I hose the horse to clean him. It often takes about 6 months before they learn that grooming is not a painful experience.

Also, in case you do not know: an OTTB will be VERY territorial about his stall. That has been his one place of refuge in a crazy world called "the backside". Respect his space. He might try to nip (or at least pin his ears) if you try to do things to him in his stall. Take him out and work on him out of his stall -- let his stall be HIS space until he settles in.

If you are new to the world of OTTB's, please feel free to ask questions. It is important that you know where they are coming from so you can understand their behavoir.

dcm
Aug. 17, 2001, 06:56 AM
You have given much insight on Shadow's behavior. I am printing out your hints and will give them to my dtr. She will find them most useful. Both horses she's had before this one were ottb, but one was 9 years away from the track. The other is her current greenie, but he was in polo training. He was pulled from the track before he was tattooed and tossed into a pasture for a couple of years. He was under saddle for 6 months before we bought him.

We have been lucky enought to have come across such nice ottb's. I have been hoping we did not make a mistake in buying Shadow, but he is turning out to be such a doll. As they progress, we will see what he is made of.

Thanks for your help. I may call upon you!

Bumpkin
Aug. 17, 2001, 07:19 AM
As Merry's wanna be agent, may I say you should write something like you just did for a horse magazine.
With the vast amount of experience you have with OTTB and hunters, you have a great thing to share.
I wonder, as Elliot has some of the habits you write about.
Although he never raced, he was sent to a TB racing facility to be broke.....he is territorial in some ways in his stall, and he is very touchy about brushing his barrel.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

serengeti36
Aug. 17, 2001, 09:27 AM
That's the thing. Porto potty's, golf carts, those are all okay, it's the random things. Biltmore, a racking horse sent him into orbit. After he recovered from taht, a spotted polo shirt, then the stupid bridge that he had crossed fifteen times. At that point I got mad and spurred him. Straight up he hangs there for a little while while I smack him on the head, then he drops down and crosses. I also fell of because I had draw reins. Don't ask, I don't know. I put them on, he said no, i said yes, he bucked me off. I got back on, i said yes, he said okay. Go figure. Greenies.
marion

LaurieB
Aug. 17, 2001, 12:42 PM
I second Bumpkin's suggestion. So many people have OTTBs (I myself have a close cousin, the unregTB /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) and could really use that sort of "I know 'cause I've been there" knowledge. It would make a great article for some lucky horse magazine.

Merry
Aug. 17, 2001, 12:58 PM
I did kind of the same sort of thing, two-part series, actually, for the California Thoroughbred magazine. But it was more slanted to the owners/breeders/trainers of ex-racehorses and how to recondition them a little and how to market them to prospective show horse buyers.

Ahem, I already have my editorial assignments for next year. I'm supposed to address the issue of the OTTB in an article. Gee, I thinkk Pam/Lord Helpus would just make a wonderful source, hint-hint! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

By the way, I so concur with the remarks about the grooming of a racehorse. When Beezer and I worked at the Hollywood Park sales for Monty Roberts, we were instructed to lay the brushes on their sides as we stroked the coat of the horse, rather than just stabbing the bristles upright into the skin. The poor horses get very tender.

Lord Helpus
Aug. 17, 2001, 03:40 PM
Well, Beezer, Merry et al, aren't you nice! And, yes I would love to write such an article, but no one has ever asked me...

So I come on this BB and give unsolicited advice. Works for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Peggy
Aug. 17, 2001, 06:32 PM
There was a book called "Reschooling the TB" by Peggy Pittenger (?). The original was probably published at least 35 years ago, but I think there is a 2nd edition. A good source of info about OTTB's.

JRG
Aug. 18, 2001, 02:08 AM
My little man was colicy last night. Went up for my lesson and brought the hubby up last night so he could see our progress. Not only did I have to reset his shoe because it needed it, but he started doing a wierd stance. He kept trying to park out. Would have made a Morgan jealous.LOL

I thought at first he just wanted to pee and was being a little bashful, (not like my horse has ever been bashful). So Banamine it is, and a short time later we had poop.

I would like to say, I love my coach. She has all the good drugs (horse drugs, that is) and shares the wealth. Nothing is more valuable then a coach who knows what they are doing. If she didn't I would have had to wait for the vet.

But he is back to his cranky self again. The first time with a particular horse is always the worst.

tinker
Aug. 20, 2001, 05:48 AM
I also have a little guy off the track and this string of comments and suggestions has been great in the knowledge that I am not alone. My seven year old seems to have a problems that has not been addressed yet, this being that when I tried to turn him out with one of our older babysitting geldings he attempted to NURSE (not only once, but 2 times). Needless to say he caught it good from his pasture mate. Any ideas for a safe way to introduce him to other but still keep him in one piece?