PDA

View Full Version : High Milage Diesel Truck - Would you buy?

PoohLP
Jun. 6, 2012, 02:40 PM
So, I'm looking for a truck to pull a two or three horse gooseneck with. Oh course, my budget is very limited, given that my horse expects to be fed and my next purchase will be a trailer. I have a lead on a 2002 F250 4wd 7.3 Diesel that sounds promising and would be well within budget and 9-10k (my tops would be 16-17k, but I'd like to be well below that if possible; the more I save, the more i have to put into a trailer and show fees, which is, after all, the point of getting the truck). But the vehicle has 220000 miles on it.

Assuming (and I know that this is a big assumption) that it is in good condition and checks off all my boxes, would it be smart to buy something with that high a mileage to tow with? I've been told that with diesels, you have to worry about the tranny going before you do the engine.

What questions should I ask or ask my mechanic to look for?
Honestly, I've never bought/owned a truck before, so besides research, I have no firsthand knowledge of what to expect or ask. This wouldn't be my everyday vehicle - I'd only use it for picking up hay/feed, hauling and the occasional jaunt around town in the rain (my everyday car is a leaky z3 beamer that I love to drive so long as it is dry and I'm not going on an extended road trip.)

Thanks for any advice you can give!

shakeytails
Jun. 6, 2012, 03:01 PM
I've got one('96 F250 with the 7.3 PSD) sitting in my driveway with about 230K miles- and needs a transmission. To have it rebuilt is in the $1800 range, complete. Once that tranny's fixed, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it and haul horses anywhere. It should sell for 7-8000 when repaired. The engine is strong, and this particular truck hasn't worked hard- we know it's life history as it's lived within 30 miles of here it's whole life. I'd buy a higher mileage truck (that truck had 170k when I bought it), at least for the amount of hauling I do, if I had an idea of it's history. I would not want a high mileage truck that's been hauling a bulldozer on a steel flatbed or huge trailerloads of cattle on a very regular basis.

PoohLP
Jun. 6, 2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks, Shakeytails. I think the transmission would be my major worry. Although, I guess if I bought it and it conked out, I'd be enough under budget to get it fixed. :p

I'm just not used to the whole truck world where 200k+ miles is not considered end of life. LOL!

shakeytails
Jun. 6, 2012, 03:31 PM
Remember that $1800 is my local price. Their are two transmission shops with excellent reputations around here where you get the truck to them, they pull and rebuild the tranny, and a few days later you pick up the truck with a re-built tranny with a warranty. There are lots of other transmission crooks that like to feed you a line of BS and tell you it's $4000+, so check out what it would cost in your aea. FWIW, I'm never buying another automatic transmission- car or truck- ever again!

Guilherme
Jun. 6, 2012, 03:53 PM
If everything else checks out then yes, I might. But I'd have a "full monty" checkout by a well qualified mechanic (with Ford experience) and the money in the bank to rebuild the tranny and overhaul the engine.

There's a myth that light diesels have the longevity that you'll find in a Freightliner or Petebilt. It IS a myth. By the time you get to 200,000++ miles you've probably got a 50% chance of a major engine component failure. Of course you also have a 50% chance that you won't have major engine component failure. Thing is that as you drive those numbers begin to change for the worse. If you're prepared then you're OK. If not, you could be well and truly screwed.

You also have 200,000++ miles on the engine accessories (alternator, power steering pump, air conditioner, etc.). Then there's the brakes and tires to consider. Not to mention rust and corrosion.

A good mechanical inspection can help, but you're still buying a truck with a LOT of miles on it. Prodeed with care.

G.

mvp
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:37 PM
I think $9K is too high for the truck as described.

First, how large of a 2-3 horse trailer are you talking about? Some kind of BP stock trailer? Or a heavy gooseneck with dressing room and all? If the latter, you might want to keep your eyes peeled for an F-350. For this one (and a 7.3 in general that you'll use for a heavy trailer, ask about the gear ratio in back. That will tell you about how much power it delivers).

You need a good diesel mechanic to do Guilherme's Full Monty PPE for you. I like the guys who work on big trucks-- fire engines, dump trucks, tree trucks, school busses. Find someone who keeps professionals' vehicles on the road.

Yes, ask about the tranny. Then you want to know about other things-- ball joints, rust and such. In general, if the truck is cosmetically clean and it has had few owners, it will have been maintained mechanically as well. It would be great to see maintenance records. If you find a one owner guy who works on his own, don't worry so much about that part. If he can tell you what has been done and when, that's all good.

But a great, independent Diesel Dude will be your best asset. And look up the car on NADA-- a more complete version of Kelly Bluebook used by the industry. That will tell you what that truck is worth in your area.

PoohLP
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:42 PM
Remember that $1800 is my local price. Their are two transmission shops with excellent reputations around here where you get the truck to them, they pull and rebuild the tranny, and a few days later you pick up the truck with a re-built tranny with a warranty. There are lots of other transmission crooks that like to feed you a line of BS and tell you it's $4000+, so check out what it would cost in your aea. FWIW, I'm never buying another automatic transmission- car or truck- ever again!

So, you recommend a manual. That is what I've driven since I was 17 and lobe it in my little cars but hate the one in my suv. Thought it would be even more of a PITA in a truck.

cowboymom
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:46 PM
Yeah I'd buy it if it checked out on the machine and on the lift with a GOOD diesel mechanic. I'd run the specs of this truck past the guys on the Ford Enthusiasts website also, they are a good help.

I had a mechanic tell me once that my Ford Expedition was only going to make it another 5K or so... I bought it anyway for practically nothing and promptly put nearly 50K on it, it was still running when I sold it with 250K on it. :lol:

Just be smart about it, beware of unexplained noises and check out that tranny.

Alagirl
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:49 PM
the diesel thing depends on how it's driven.
Highway miles over city miles, long runs over shorter trips.

PoohLP
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:49 PM
I think $9K is too high for the truck as described.

First, how large of a 2-3 horse trailer are you talking about? Some kind of BP stock trailer? Or a heavy gooseneck with dressing room and all? If the latter, you might want to keep your eyes peeled for an F-350. For this one (and a 7.3 in general that you'll use for a heavy trailer, ask about the gear ratio in back. That will tell you about how much power u

My goal is an aluminum gooseneck. A small dressing room would be nice. I'll need a wb sized one because my boy is a 17h monster.

What sort of gear ratio should I be looking for?

cowboymom
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:50 PM
FWIW-we have a 7.3 with an automatic and one with a manual.

The manual is the older rig and it did finally go out but it was understandable since we use it so hard.

The automatic functions but it just has a mind of its own which I don't like and it doesn't have near the power and jump that the older truck does. It is SO much easier to drive but it doesn't feel as strong to me. It isn't a deal breaker to me but all things equal I would go with a manual when I buy another one.

kathy s.
Jun. 6, 2012, 05:30 PM
I agree with the consensus that before buying the truck, it should be thoroughly vetted by an experienced Ford diesel mechanic. We have a dear friend that has been a pro Ford diesel mechanic for 35 years and he told me that the 7.3 is the best diesel ever built for p/u's and that it's not even broken in until 200,000 miles.
I bought my F350 7.3 dually new in 1996 and it has 195,000 miles on it. I'll never sell it, lol. As far as value, I have been advised by experts not to sell it for less than $12k. We have a collision shop and have a great working relationship with the ins. companies and local dealerships, including Ford.
IMO, if you've 'known' this truck over it's lifetime and are familiar with the upkeep it's been given, have it checked out and buy it if it's sound.

The F250's used to have a 3.55 rear end however, some came equipped with the 4.10 (1 ton rear end), just FYI. I don't know if the same hold true for today's Fords though. Hope this helps and good luck truck shopping.

kathy s.
Jun. 6, 2012, 07:08 PM
Here's an ad just posted today in our local horse chat forum:

My husband is selling his F-250 7.3 diesel 2WD if anyone's interested and doesn't mind camo :). It's a 2002 with 115k miles and he's asking $13k. Any offers considered.

He's selling because we're selling our land and his parents' RV with it, so he doesn't need to haul anything big anymore.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... 8934&Log=0

Low miles but it's a 2wd, not 4wd.

PoohLP
Jun. 7, 2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks Kathy, but I'm in FL, so TX is a little bit of a drive. :)

How does one go about finding a Ford Diesel mechanic?

I had a friend in town who sold her 98 350 Lariat Diesel Dually earlier in the year. It had similar miles on it. She listed it and instantly had a sale for 11k - the guy drove 3 hours to get it, paid cash and didnt even flinch when the battery was dead when he got there to pick it up.

ReSomething
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:18 PM
. . .
How does one go about finding a Ford Diesel mechanic?

I had a friend in town who sold her 98 350 Lariat Diesel Dually earlier in the year . . .

Well, who did your friend's mechanic work? That's your place to start.

We have a high mileage Ford also and so far DH has done all the work - but some of his method has consisted of collaring other men driving the same year class and asking them where they go for their parts. For a tranny I'd probably go down the line at work and ask each of the guys where they'd take theirs, or ask my trainer who she uses (but I know she is unhappy with them, so . . .)
The one thing I can add about the higher mileage vehicles is that they don't sit well. Like your friend - the battery was dead. As the proud owner of a succession of cheap old trucks I could tell you about the bizarre things that went wrong with each of them, your best line of defense is consistent maintenance by the same guy, and expect to have to fork out repair expenses - much less than a new car payment but your paid for truck will still require "extra" money budgeted every year.

Beam Me Up
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:38 PM
I might buy a higher mileage vehicle if everything else checked out, though that sounds like a lot of money.

I actually bought an F250 gas with 175K (for 3500 tho) and it went 30K/5 years of hauling before expensive problems came up.

As others pointed out, even if diesels "lasted forever" (I wish!), you still have a 10 year old high mileage truck which likely has a lot of wear and tear on other parts and associated maintenance.

My (possibly naive) take on this particular model is that I sense that the Ford 7.3s are acquiring a cult-like following and associated pricing structure, mostly because of the failures of later model Fords.

I bought my current truck (1999 F350 7.3 diesel, 80K miles, 2wd, manual) in 2005 for 7K. Obviously the manual and the 2WD drove the price down some, but when they were widely available that engine was not such a big deal. Now everywhere I go people (mechanics, horse people) go crazy about how great a truck it is, worth so much, and it is definitely older and in worse shape than when I got it.

I believe people that they are good trucks, and that later Fords are not, but I wonder if they are worth the seemingly crazy prices they seem to command. For example, the KBB on the 2002 F250 w/ 220K is <5K (give or take, depending on options and condition), but I'm sure it will sell for way, way more than that due to the popularity of that engine. Not sure if other makes offer better bargains? Someone on here might know.

Guilherme
Jun. 7, 2012, 02:00 PM
It's not just the newer Ford trucks that are getting a negative "vote" from the market.

I've got a 3500HD '08 Duramax (CC, DRW, 4WD, LB). It's got 45,000 miles on it. I just checked valuation and, for the first time since I bought it in Nov., '08, the loan value is less than I paid for it (by $400). I've been told that there's a LOT of consumer resistance to the "pee tanks" on the newer Fords and GMs. This had benefited Dodge (which doesn't have one yet) and late model, low milage, used trucks with dates prior to '10 (model year '11 was the first with the urea tank).

If you're going with a used truck then have some "reserve" to take care of stuff that will break. Older trucks will break more than newer one (all things being equal). As long as a buyer knows this and plans for it then they can benefit.

G.

HydroPHILE
Jun. 7, 2012, 02:08 PM
So, I'm looking for a truck to pull a two or three horse gooseneck with. Oh course, my budget is very limited, given that my horse expects to be fed and my next purchase will be a trailer. I have a lead on a 2002 F250 4wd 7.3 Diesel that sounds promising and would be well within budget and 9-10k (my tops would be 16-17k, but I'd like to be well below that if possible; the more I save, the more i have to put into a trailer and show fees, which is, after all, the point of getting the truck). But the vehicle has 220000 miles on it.

For that particular model truck, anything under 250K miles is good. That exact model truck is what we were looking for in our area, but the sellers wanted incredibly high prices for anything under 250K miles (like $18K-19K because they knew they were rare.)

Beam Me Up hit the nail on the head: the 1999 - 2003 7.3L F-250 4x4s have a "cult-like following."

We decided on a 2004 2500HD that was $6K under NADA...because the seller didn't want his ex wife to be able to use the truck as part of their divorce settlement ;)

As far as higher mileage trucks or even trucks that are known to the horse and hauling world as "hauling trucks," there are some things to inspect:

1. 4WD hi and lo in forward and reverse
If it makes a chugging/clicking/grinding noise, it may need a new transfer case: you're looking at $600+ for a used one and $1200 for a new one + labor to put it in.

2. Is it a "Northern" truck?
Is it a truck that has been driven up north often? Check for sale corrosion on the undercarriage.

3. Has it ever been used as a "hauling" / commercial truck?

4. Ball joints

ETA: Hubby said there is a YouTube video on things to look out for with those particular trucks.

shjhorses
Jun. 7, 2012, 02:28 PM
I just bought a 350 Dually with the 7.3L engine for the reason that they are known to run to 500k miles or more. I did tons of research and shopped around and found one with 147k miles. I bought through eBay motors at North Texas Truck Stop, check out their inventory online. They specialize in used diesels and have a large selection. I am in Ga but it was worth it to look wider to find the right one. Good luck.

HydroPHILE
Jun. 7, 2012, 02:48 PM
I am in Ga but it was worth it to look wider to find the right one. Good luck.

^ This...especially if you want a good deal.

lizathenag
Jun. 7, 2012, 02:58 PM
A few years ago I bought your truck (almost) 2001 7.3 4WD full bed and back seat for the dogs (not the full back seat).

It had 150K miles on it. It needed new tires. I bought it in Salinas (farm country) from a roadside stand (almost). Out the door for 10k. it had been used with a camper as the roof of the cab was a bit rusted.

very happy with it. I smile every time I start her up.

I recently replaced both batteries.

fanfayre
Jun. 7, 2012, 03:45 PM
Highly recommend getting a compression test done on it.
My story: bought a 1993 diesel truck at beginning of March. Low $$$, but had 192,000 miles only.
Needed the cv boot covers replaced, but when we got to looking it really needed ALL the front end parts replaced. Spent a week of our time doing the work.
Had to miss a dressage show because the work wasn't finished. Finished fixing the front end at 4:00 on a Saturday afternoon. Next morning 1st thing I took it out, hooked up the trailer and went for my 4-year old's 1st cross-country school. On the way home, climbing a large hill/small mountain (we are in mountain country) the #3 cylinder blew. We are now having to spend $ we don't really have to replace the engine, and I now have to rent a truck next weekend so I can take part in a clinic I entered before the cylinder blew.
My long-winded point is, it's NOT a huge deal for me to have mileage that high, especially if the "vetting" is clean, but to be prepared for the potential for high-priced repairs, which, if you can get a deal and have $ left over in the budget is also not a huge deal. Depending on your terrain, you'd want either a 3:73 or a 4:10 ratio for the tranny. Anything smaller and it would have to work to hard to get over anything but the lowest molehill.
Around here 7.3s don't often go for less than 10k- I've seen some with ~300,000 on them and still asking $15,000!:eek:

birdsong
Jun. 7, 2012, 04:18 PM
Wasn't there a few years that Ford's had some issues? I know it was pre-2006.

kathy s.
Jun. 7, 2012, 06:15 PM
Wasn't there a few years that Ford's had some issues? I know it was pre-2006.

I know that prior to the 7.3 Powerstroke, the Ford diesels didn't have any get up and go. Mine is a '96 Powerstroke and my sister had bought a '94 F250 diesel that she sold within 6 months b/c it was so sluggish. But I can't remember if the PS came out in '95 or '96. Anyway, I can literally 'pop a wheely' with my dually, lol.
Between 2003 and 2010 (or 2011), my mechanic friend advised us not to even look at the new Fords. I am still waiting to hear his opinion on the 2012's.

ReSomething
Jun. 7, 2012, 07:00 PM
Yes, I'd agree the 7.3 has a cult like following. My MIL's neighbor is a Ford mechanic and loves the things - not because they provide him with work either. So the price reflects that. Whether they are truly worth it I can't tell you. Ours is also from a high salt state and DH says the undercarriage has damage, but he doesn't pressure wash the undercarriage regularly in the winter either, which is recommended. (He grew up in the desert and doesn't wash or wax his cars either, very annoying)

lilitiger2
Jun. 7, 2012, 08:06 PM
My husband IS the guy who keeps the government line workers on the road, and he's the foreman who works on all the big rigs!When he walked in I asked him about it and his first comment was "I wouldn't buy a Ford that old with that high miles,not crazy about International engines". But then he thought about it, and like everyone else noted:

1. What kind of care/maintainence? Is this a one owner/I did it all myself and have the records, or does this truck have a mystery history?
2. What kind of towing?
3. Things to check: tranny, front/rear end, shocks, tie rods, etc.

Overall, he gave it the thumbs down, only, as G noted, that it does have a lot of miles on it and of course, because its not a Cummins:). He works all day on government rigs, on the POS's that GSA gets for them to use, so has definite opinions on what lasts and what doesn't.

The seller is probaby right in there on price-93s and 94s are going for 4.5k around here.My husband bought a Dodge 97 for 9k but it had a topper/a bunch of extra stuff on it I guess if it was me, NOT being my husband and NOT able to do flash fixes by the side of the road, I would still want a younger truck with fewer potential problems. I will drive my Dodge 3/4 ton till it dies but I know its history!!

fanfayre
Jun. 7, 2012, 08:15 PM
lillitiger:
I had hoped that, since we had to replace an engine, we could swap out the 6.5L and replace it with a Cummins (can that even be done?), but the only engine in our price range was another 6.5L, albeit a '96 with very few km's on it, so that's what we're preparing to replace. If I had a Cummins, it too would be pried out of my cold, dead hands!

Twisted River
Jun. 7, 2012, 08:43 PM
My family has always been keen to keep vehicles till they go into the ground. In my experience, they either break a bunch, or they don't break any. If you can get service records on the truck and they haven't had to do much beyond basic maintenance, I would have a mechanic check it out and buy it. If it's needed things replaced every 50,000 miles or so along the way, I wouldn't get it. I now have a Ford truck with 215,000 miles on it. They only repair it's needed was ball bearings (maybe 50,000 miles ago). Every mechanic that works on it compliments how great it runs and expects it to go through 300,000 miles - I sure hope so!

lilitiger2
Jun. 7, 2012, 08:50 PM
Fanfayre-here you go!! :) http://www.fordcummins.com/

They DO put cummins in (but not so cheap!!) of course, if money is no object, would be nice to get a CAT engine in there!!

fanfayre
Jun. 8, 2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks a lot, L2!! Now I'll be wishing I was wealthy... Of course, I should have clarified, my truck's a Chevy(sotto voce). I'm sure there's gmcummings site too, just haven't looked. Just looked-there is: http://www.dieselpowermag.com
OP, any updates?

Pcostx
Jun. 8, 2012, 07:56 AM
We recently purchased the exact same truck (Ford F250 w/ 7.3 diesel engine) for $13,000 and it had only 120,000 miles on it.

I think you can do better then the truck you have found with 220,000+ miles.

IMO you should keep looking.....

Good luck!

MMPM
Jun. 8, 2012, 10:36 AM
I have a 2001 F-250 7.3L, 3.73 rear-end. Love it can't part with it! I have put two transmissions in it in 12 years, but I drive it every day and haul with it about twice a month. It now has 230, 000 miles, and I have put all but about 50 of those miles on it. I maintain it religiously and it runs great, gets great gas mileage, and hauls no problem! My only issue is RUST! The bed wheel wells are rusting out and doors are starting as well.

Went to look at 2012 a few weeks ago while they look awesome, I don't want to deal with the additives and poor gas mileage of the new diesel. I will be ordering a 2013 gas in late august and keeping old faithful, we call him ZED. I am willing to bet after a makeover next year Zed will outlast my new one.

Have the truck checked and buy it!

wildlifer
Jun. 8, 2012, 09:05 PM
On the 7.3L, if well cared for, 220K is NOT a concern. I have one at 140K now and it feels practically new and the components are in excellent shape.

There is also a huge support network for the 7.3L's at www.ford-trucks.com -- I can't think of anything on there that couldn't be fixed if it went out and give you 200K more miles unless someone cracked the block! If it ran, if it wasn't a rustball, and if maintenance was properly done, I'd snatch and run before someone else does.

If you go to the website I mentioned (not affiliated with Ford) and go to the forums, they are a great group and will answer all your questions and point you EXACTLY where you need to go.

PoohLP
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:18 AM
Went and looked at truck. It sounds good but I couldn't drive it as the tag wasn't on it at the time. It looks - ok. Impeccable inside. The tailgate is dented outward - apparently, someone laid something heavy in the truck bed. There is some light rust in the bed - the friend I took with me said that he thought that it was only surface rust that would clean out. There is a small dents next to the back rear tire - looks like a minor fender bender. The damage to the side panel and tailgate apparently were present when the current owner bought the truck.

The owner has had it for 3 years or so and supposedly has kept it well. The guy who showed it to me - not the owner, but a friend who is letting him put it in front of his shop - said the owner is a fanatic about maintenance (but there weren't records, so I can't really confirm that. It has the original tranny. The owner bought it to put a 5th wheel on, but never did so it has basically been used as a grocery getter (and judging by the hunting stickers) as a deer hauler for the last few years.

I was told I was welcome to take it to whomever I wanted to get it checked and that if I wanted to test drive, the owner would bring me a plate to put on it for that purpose.

Does it sound like it would be worth pursuing further based on that additional info?

lilitiger2
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
Even though I m in the "look further" camp, if you like it so far, what you'd want is to get an oil analysis done on the transmission. they will take an oil sample nad SENT TO A LAB (not just just eyeballed or smelled). That will tell you is excessive wear starting to take place on the transmission. It might run you $30-35 to do but well worth it. Also find out the last time that transmission oil and filter were changed. A dealership would do this for you and can explain what they are seeing. You do not want to rebuild a transmission. Good luck!! keep us posted!!

Derby Lyn Farms
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Make sure you have the truck vetted! 220k is not [I]that[I] many miles. BUT, check ball joints, water pump, vacuum pump, tie rod, axles, injectors, and all important and EXPENSIVE fixes that start going on the truck at the high miles. Things like that will make the price go up or down, depending on if it has been fixed or not.

Derby Lyn Farms
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:51 AM
My only issue is RUST! The bed wheel wells are rusting out and doors are starting as well.

They all rust out in the bed wheel wells because they put a piece of foam in their and the foam holds water. :no:

Fancy That
Jun. 11, 2012, 01:56 PM
First of all, you are picking a AWESOME TRUCK!!!! Specifically the 7.3L Diesel on the '99 - 2002 are the BEST BEST ONES.

So no, you don't have to worry about the ~200K mileage as long as it's been WELL MAINTAINED.

I bought my 2000 F350 7.3L diesel (4 x 4, long bed, super cab, super clean and VERY VERY well maintainted) when it had 200K miles on it just a few months ago :). But it was on its THIRD TRANSMISSION, had it's BRAKES DONE SEVERAL TIMES, and now SHOCKS DONE. It was very well maintained. Got if for a STEAL - literally, so it was worth buying even with high miles.

I LOVE MY TRUCK!!! As long as I keep it equally well-maintained, it will EASILY go another 200K miles or more.

Just be WARY of the other types of diesel engines, different years etc. Literally I have the best diesel truck mechanic on earth and he specifically told me, for what I want to do, to get THIS specific truck with THIS specific engine within those specific years :) He vetted the trucke for me too.

Good luck

BasqueMom
Jun. 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
Don't forget fuel injectors....major bucks to replace especially at the dealer.
We had a 1996 F250 7.3 that we bought in 1998 with 22K miles. Sold it last fall with 285K on it. DH had been driving it to work for 9 years....thanks a lot dear. He decided to get something more economical for his 102 mile RT drive.
Wanted to keep it as a tow vehicle...nope, needed front end work, injectors
and sucked a fuel pump just before we sold it.

It was a grand truck....engine other than injectors still strong, original transmission and no problems we knew of. Could pull the house as well as the horse trailer. Looked for another 7.3 but lower mileage ones came with high prices, like up to $25K even. Older vehicles are harder to arrange financing on.

We ended up with a Dodge 07 5.9L mega cab 4x4 with 142K and love it so far. The Fords we looked at all had lovely leather interiors whereas the Dodge
has cloth interior. We drove some 6.0L Fords but only found one that we were willing to take a chance on but dealer wanted way too much for it and
wanted to give way too little for our trade-in when he wasn't busy on the phone or answering emails. We walked out.

Get a Carfax on it, even if you have to pay for it yourself. Check out cars.com or autotrader.com. Type in what you want, your area code and
radius of miles you are willing to go. That will give you a good idea of pricing
and what is out there. Some dealers will link to the Carfax or Autochek report. Prefer the former as it often contains maintenance records.

Definitely check into extended warranties...do a search for same, pick a couple of companies and give them a call.

wildlifer
Jun. 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Carfax is very inaccurate -- and in state like GA, you can get a clean, new title on anything in two weeks and your title search will show nothing. For Fords, you can get an OASIS report which will show you all warranty work.

FLeventer
Jun. 13, 2012, 02:49 AM
Jeeze. I got a deal on my dually. 7.3 F350 with banks turbo, long bed, new tires, and a like new upholstery as well as gooseneck hitch for 4k with 106k miles.

Look around. The deals are there especially in FL. Guy friend just picked up his 02 and 01 new matching duallies for 10k for the pair. Under 200k miles on both. Just needed minor paint work. People are getting rid of them all the time on craigslist. Just picked up a parts truck for my 7.3 for $600 with a near complete motor. Look around and check craigslist daily. They pop up in the morning and are gone by noon.